Compact freezer without an auto-defrost function

Whiynot20026

Explorer
Joined
May 8, 2026
Messages
264
Reaction score
0
Location
Colorado
I’ve got several kits on the way that I plan to put into the freezer: Reta, Tirzep, NAD and BC10. Every one of the 3 freezers I have at home runs an auto-defrost cycle. From what I’m reading, that auto defrost could be harmful to the peps. Is there anyone here who has owned or used a good small freezer suited to keeping Peptides stored long term?

Bill
 
Lyophilized peptides should remain stable. Janoshick actually cited a shelf life spanning years at ambient temperature, so I doubt a defrost cycle would cause any harm. In my own experience, peptides kept in the freezer have shown no decrease in potency.
 
high-tide said:

Lyophilized peptides should remain stable. Janoshick actually cited a shelf life spanning years at ambient temperature, so I doubt a defrost cycle would cause any harm. In my own experience, peptides kept in the freezer have shown no decrease in potency.
I appreciate it. This seems to be a topic where people disagree quite a bit. I thought spending 200 bucks on a dedicated freezer might be a good idea. Still, if you believe it's fine, that's a significant vote of confidence.

Bill
 
How long does a freezer's auto-defrost cycle actually run for? If I put the peps inside a sealed thermos jar—something like a Hydrapeak or similar—would that shield them from the temperature swings? Mine go in a chest freezer that lacks auto-defrost, but I keep them that way since it's simple, sturdy, and handy.
 
e989b9c99892015d2348d549ac0cad0b60b1da16961438580eb36e11d13ee6e9.webp


be0a296806c8b7e687f1d892e8a179946f68bbf7ab1f5b2e3e6bb978e941046a.webp
 
For truly long-term storage, you need a freezer that keeps a steady -20c. Peptides hold up well, but going through freeze/refreeze cycles is thought to be harmful. Auto-defrost units swing in temperature a fair amount, which isn't great. If your horizon is just a few years, that likely won't matter. If you're aiming for something closer to 8-10, then a -20 without auto-defrost is probably what you want. In theory anyway, no one has run tests on this with typical peps.

This small unit has worked really well for me.




Amazon.com: COWSAR 1.2 Cu Ft Compact Mini Freezer, 7 Temp Settings (-18°F to -10°F), Removable Shelf Display Freezer for Home/Kitchen/Dorm/Office, Suitable for Ice Cream/Meat/Seafood : Appliances



Buy COWSAR 1.2 Cu Ft Compact Mini Freezer, 7 Temp Settings (-18°F to -10°F), Removable Shelf Display Freezer for Home/Kitchen/Dorm/Office, Suitable for Ice Cream/Meat/Seafood: Upright Freezers - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

a.co

6b321162329673eaa0eacf55d757a8938825ac2b7fd880eb29b58e4184400788.webp
 
5byfive said:

For truly long-term storage, you need a freezer that keeps a steady -20c. Peptides hold up well, but going through freeze/refreeze cycles is thought to be harmful. Auto-defrost units swing in temperature a fair amount, which isn't great. If your horizon is just a few years, that likely won't matter. If you're aiming for something closer to 8-10, then a -20 without auto-defrost is probably what you want. In theory anyway, no one has run tests on this with typical peps.

This small unit has worked really well for me.




Amazon.com: COWSAR 1.2 Cu Ft Compact Mini Freezer, 7 Temp Settings (-18°F to -10°F), Removable Shelf Display Freezer for Home/Kitchen/Dorm/Office, Suitable for Ice Cream/Meat/Seafood : Appliances



Buy COWSAR 1.2 Cu Ft Compact Mini Freezer, 7 Temp Settings (-18°F to -10°F), Removable Shelf Display Freezer for Home/Kitchen/Dorm/Office, Suitable for Ice Cream/Meat/Seafood: Upright Freezers - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

a.co

View attachment 10795
Those small boards underneath your containers — what are they? They come across as a kind of ice pack. Could you share a link to them, or explain the reason you have them? Instead of using the racks directly for the containers, why add these? My assumption is that they help regulate and spread the temperature. By the way, mine holds steady at -20F.

Bill
 
Whiynot20026 said:

5byfive said:

Those are simply little ice packs. I'm only using them to fill the empty room. A couple of the small ones sit toward the rear, and others are placed below. My goal is for it to sit around 75% full.


https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0FJQCRNLH
My wife is asking what makes a fuller freezer preferable?

Bill
Keeping the unit cold is much simpler that way... air heats up fast... solid items hold their chill... that's more efficient...
 
Flash-BCR said:

Whiynot20026 said:

5byfive said:

Those are simply little ice packs. I'm only using them to fill the empty room. A couple of the small ones sit toward the rear, and others are placed below. My goal is for it to sit around 75% full.


https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0FJQCRNLH
My wife is asking what makes a fuller freezer preferable?

Bill
Keeping the unit cold is much simpler that way... air heats up fast... solid items hold their chill... that's more efficient...
Should the ice packs be filled with water, or is it fine to leave them empty and just use them as filler?

Bill
 
I came across info suggesting that a defrost cycle runs for 15-30 minutes, during which the coils heat up into the 40's, yet the overall air temperature stays around 30 on average. So even if the air reached 40 for a few hours, you'd figure peptides kept inside a thermos wouldn't be impacted.
 
Whiynot20026 said:

Flash-BCR said:

Whiynot20026 said:

5byfive said:

Those are simply little ice packs. I'm only using them to fill the empty room. A couple of the small ones sit toward the rear, and others are placed below. My goal is for it to sit around 75% full.


https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0FJQCRNLH
My wife is asking what makes a fuller freezer preferable?

Bill
Keeping the unit cold is much simpler that way... air heats up fast... solid items hold their chill... that's more efficient...
Should the ice packs be filled with water, or is it fine to leave them empty and just use them as filler?

Bill

My answer is yes — go ahead and fill them. Compared with air, ice does a better job of keeping things cold... 👍
 
I store mine in hydrapeak containers, placing ice packs at the bottom. My reasoning is that even if the temperature rises while a defrost cycle runs, the container ought to remain at about the same temperature.
 
Mood said:

I store mine in hydrapeak containers, placing ice packs at the bottom. My reasoning is that even if the temperature rises while a defrost cycle runs, the container ought to remain at about the same temperature.
I'm with you on that...Before I got charmed by a small top-loading freezer, my approach was going to be a Pelican-style hard case that seals tight, lined with a bit of insulation. My thinking was that the auto-defrost cycles wouldn't drop the temperature much inside the case... 👍
 
Flash-BCR said:

Mood said:

I store mine in hydrapeak containers, placing ice packs at the bottom. My reasoning is that even if the temperature rises while a defrost cycle runs, the container ought to remain at about the same temperature.
I'm with you on that...Before I got charmed by a small top-loading freezer, my approach was going to be a Pelican-style hard case that seals tight, lined with a bit of insulation. My thinking was that the auto-defrost cycles wouldn't drop the temperature much inside the case... 👍
If my collection grows any larger, that approach might become necessary for me too. At the moment, though, there's a second fridge/freezer in our house that serves as extra space for food...plus peptides, haha.
 
Back
Top