Colonoscopy and Endoscopy today

HRH_IceQueen said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Ugh, this GoLYTELY stuff tastes absolutely awful. I've been away from glp1s for close to a month now. The procedure was originally scheduled for the 26th of last month, but my potassium came back way too high, so they moved it to 6/10.

After they retested my bloods, things were back in the normal range.

So why am I posting this here?

A month ago I had gotten down to 213 and change, right? Now I'm bouncing around between 218 and 219, which means I put on 5 or 6 pounds just from that month off. Damn it. I ought to be closing in on Onederland by now rather than going backwards.

Fingers crossed nothing unexpected turns up from my procedures. After browsing the colonoscopy subreddit, I'm now certain it's pure nightmare fuel and I really regret ever opening that page...

On the bright side, at least I'm not at work today 😄
Ugh, that's something I'm really dreading. Truth is, I should have had a colonoscopy by now, but I talked my doctor into delaying it until I hit 50 — that's 2 yrs away — since nobody in my family has had cancer in that region.

As you put it, "at least you don't have to go to work today." And here's to getting back on track!!
Honestly, it went fine. And having confirmation that my bowel is clear of any real problems? That peace of mind is worth everything. Colon cancer, colostomy bags, all of that — absolutely no thank you!!!!
 
Flash-BCR said:

RetCurious said:

miss-sanne said:

whaaat ! they give you propofol ! that's fortunate, mine was done with zero meds last year.. It was doable, though the midazolam/fentanyl combo would have been my pick ;.)

Best of luck, and rest well !
The propofol felt like battery acid running through my veins; as I lost consciousness, I thought something had gone wrong.
Just before going under, I said, "I can feel it"...then I came to in recovery asking, "How did I get here" — it felt like only 30 seconds had passed.... 👍 😎
Back to the future, baby!!!
 
Gr33dy can't be reassured by this anymore, and he's already aware of how awful the prep is, but back in my 20s I went through one, and honestly the procedure itself was extremely pleasant. Twilight sedation was used, there was zero pain, I recall next to nothing, and from what I'm told I talked without stopping the whole time. One of the PAs helping out happened to be a friend of mine, and she said I spent the entire procedure telling rambling childhood stories. When the doctor softly cut in during one about a creek near my friend's grandmother's house where we used to play, just to let me know there'd be a small pinch, I shot back "For Pete's sake Christian, you're a good looking man but a terrible conversationalist, stop scaring me ever five minutes and let me finish this story!" (From what I hear, his answer was "Very sorry, please continue.")

All that stays with me is a dim room and a comfortable bed.
 
randompersonrandom said:

Gr33dy can't be reassured by this anymore, and he's already aware of how awful the prep is, but back in my 20s I went through one, and honestly the procedure itself was extremely pleasant. Twilight sedation was used, there was zero pain, I recall next to nothing, and from what I'm told I talked without stopping the whole time. One of the PAs helping out happened to be a friend of mine, and she said I spent the entire procedure telling rambling childhood stories. When the doctor softly cut in during one about a creek near my friend's grandmother's house where we used to play, just to let me know there'd be a small pinch, I shot back "For Pete's sake Christian, you're a good looking man but a terrible conversationalist, stop scaring me ever five minutes and let me finish this story!" (From what I hear, his answer was "Very sorry, please continue.")

All that stays with me is a dim room and a comfortable bed.
That really does sound pleasant. Maybe next time I'll stay awake and let a few of my buddies grease me up and head on in to check out my rear end. Girl, we are not the same! Give me a Pakistani guy with oily hair and a trans nurse instead of people I actually know!!!

🤣🫶🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

HRH_IceQueen said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Ugh, this GoLYTELY stuff tastes absolutely awful. I've been away from glp1s for close to a month now. The procedure was originally scheduled for the 26th of last month, but my potassium came back way too high, so they moved it to 6/10.

After they retested my bloods, things were back in the normal range.

So why am I posting this here?

A month ago I had gotten down to 213 and change, right? Now I'm bouncing around between 218 and 219, which means I put on 5 or 6 pounds just from that month off. Damn it. I ought to be closing in on Onederland by now rather than going backwards.

Fingers crossed nothing unexpected turns up from my procedures. After browsing the colonoscopy subreddit, I'm now certain it's pure nightmare fuel and I really regret ever opening that page...

On the bright side, at least I'm not at work today 😄
Ugh, that's something I'm really dreading. Truth is, I should have had a colonoscopy by now, but I talked my doctor into delaying it until I hit 50 — that's 2 yrs away — since nobody in my family has had cancer in that region.

As you put it, "at least you don't have to go to work today." And here's to getting back on track!!
Honestly, it went fine. And having confirmation that my bowel is clear of any real problems? That peace of mind is worth everything. Colon cancer, colostomy bags, all of that — absolutely no thank you!!!!
Relieved to hear things turned out well. Yep, cancer plus all the crap that tags along with it? Gross! Appreciate you filling us in.
 
HRH_IceQueen said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

HRH_IceQueen said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Ugh, this GoLYTELY stuff tastes absolutely awful. I've been away from glp1s for close to a month now. The procedure was originally scheduled for the 26th of last month, but my potassium came back way too high, so they moved it to 6/10.

After they retested my bloods, things were back in the normal range.

So why am I posting this here?

A month ago I had gotten down to 213 and change, right? Now I'm bouncing around between 218 and 219, which means I put on 5 or 6 pounds just from that month off. Damn it. I ought to be closing in on Onederland by now rather than going backwards.

Fingers crossed nothing unexpected turns up from my procedures. After browsing the colonoscopy subreddit, I'm now certain it's pure nightmare fuel and I really regret ever opening that page...

On the bright side, at least I'm not at work today 😄
Ugh, that's something I'm really dreading. Truth is, I should have had a colonoscopy by now, but I talked my doctor into delaying it until I hit 50 — that's 2 yrs away — since nobody in my family has had cancer in that region.

As you put it, "at least you don't have to go to work today." And here's to getting back on track!!
Honestly, it went fine. And having confirmation that my bowel is clear of any real problems? That peace of mind is worth everything. Colon cancer, colostomy bags, all of that — absolutely no thank you!!!!
Relieved to hear things turned out well. Yep, cancer plus all the crap that tags along with it? Gross! Appreciate you filling us in.
Yeah, I was really anxious about it, thanks so much for the kind words!!!!
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

CNCCurrency said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Ugh, this GoLYTELY stuff tastes absolutely awful. I've been away from glp1s for close to a month now. The procedure was originally scheduled for the 26th of last month, but my potassium came back way too high, so they moved it to 6/10.

After they retested my bloods, things were back in the normal range.

So why am I posting this here?

A month ago I had gotten down to 213 and change, right? Now I'm bouncing around between 218 and 219, which means I put on 5 or 6 pounds just from that month off. Damn it. I ought to be closing in on Onederland by now rather than going backwards.

Fingers crossed nothing unexpected turns up from my procedures. After browsing the colonoscopy subreddit, I'm now certain it's pure nightmare fuel and I really regret ever opening that page...

On the bright side, at least I'm not at work today 😄
Wait, what? I'm pretty sure you brought up a colonoscopy back in February? If you're just fishing for people to feel sorry for you, there are simpler ways to do that here.
Nope — on Feb 9 I had my gallbladder removed, friend. This was a whole new level of misery.
Ugh!
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

miss-sanne said:

whaaat ! they give you propofol ! that's fortunate, mine was done with zero meds last year.. It was doable, though the midazolam/fentanyl combo would have been my pick ;.)

Best of luck, and rest well !
Man, that was fantastic. I'm chatting with the 4 or 5 folks in the room, then suddenly I'm coming out of a great sleep!!!! Much appreciated!
I saw the syringe get pushed in, and the lights cut out fast. It felt like a 30 second nap, then I was awake as if I hadn't slept at all. No side effects, no hangover. It was also my first time ever being put under. I was actually hoping for some huge farts, but nothing happened. All that excitement for nothing.
 
Spork said:

Collo4sho said:

For my prep, I mixed a large amount of miralax plus laxative into Gatorade. No stomach cramps came my way, though the diarrhea was relentless. Setting aside that gloomy sense of being violated, the whole procedure went smoothly. I didn't even have a huge fart afterward.

Honestly, that prep you can just buy off the shelf sounds way preferable to the prescription garbage they hand out.

The gas was comedy gold — folks in recovery were letting them fly left and right (staff actually told them to). Those poor nurses, though. What an awful job to have!
That said, it likely didn't have much of an odor—given how little was present to produce one, at least as far as food goes.
 
Spork said:

endlrls said:

deleted.user.27 said:

endlrls said:

deleted.user.27 said:

bay_area_schizo said:

you've got this! can't wait for you to come back and tell us how easy it turned out to be, since mine is booked for July 1st
Honestly, it won't be as rough as you're probably imagining—you'll be OK, since they put you under pretty deeply. As others have mentioned, the tough part is getting ready beforehand; the barium is just unpleasant in flavor, nothing more. Here's hoping your screening comes back completely clear.
I had no idea Barium was still a thing people drink as prep? When my sister went through hers a few years back, those particular "drink flavors" they use for the prep (no dyes, and whatever else) ended up ruining her for life on them.. Definitely makes me excited for my own when I hit 50.
Believe me, compared to the prostate check with a single glove and a tube of jelly gunk, this is vastly preferable. Still, it's something you've got to go through. I've watched relatives and close friends endure an illness that, caught early, can be halted. That kind of passing isn't peaceful. Stay on top of it, everyone — your loved ones need you around.
Yeah, I hear you... For my 45 plus colon cancer screening I went with Colo-guard... Sure, compared to an actual colonoscopy it doesn't measure up... Even so, I made sure to do what I could for early detection...

On a related note: the prostate exam waiting for me later on is not something I'm excited about 😅 😅

That recommendation isn't what it used to be either.

These days, a PSA blood test is what you should be asking for—a DRE (Digital Rectal Exam) is no longer considered the standard way to screen for prostate cancer.

Should your doctor be unusually keen on performing a DRE, that's probably a bit of a red flag.

And if he goes ahead with the DRE while clapping his hands, that's probably a much bigger red flag—because at that point, that ain't his finger.
Yes, I have that checked at each yearly physical. Even when your numbers come back high, they still want to take a look inside. Or at least that used to be the case. Mine happened 10 yrs ago, so things may have changed since then. No clapping, thank goodness.
 
rixsternaz said:

Fingers crossed the endoscopy is the one they start with... though a nasty taste in your mouth upon waking would be a dead giveaway that it wasn't 🤣

Jokes aside, I'm hoping everything turned out fine!!
 
Back
Top