Colonoscopy and Endoscopy today

Gr33dyOctopus said:

BNLFL said:

Wallydog said:

BNLFL said:

Don't stress, @Gr33dyOctopus gets a kick out of doing these.
Just out of curiosity — an octopus's a88, where exactly is that located? Just trying to lend the doctors a hand.
When he returns, go ahead and ask him. There's no doubt he's fully aware of his ass's location.
Currently in the waiting room!
Are you going under anesthesia for this?
 
you've got this! can't wait for you to come back and tell us how easy it turned out to be, since mine is booked for July 1st
 
bay_area_schizo said:

you've got this! can't wait for you to come back and tell us how easy it turned out to be, since mine is booked for July 1st
Honestly, it won't be as rough as you're probably imagining—you'll be OK, since they put you under pretty deeply. As others have mentioned, the tough part is getting ready beforehand; the barium is just unpleasant in flavor, nothing more. Here's hoping your screening comes back completely clear.
 
For the colonoscopy, I needed to stop Tirz for 7 days beforehand. The doctor never brought it up—it was only listed in the pre-procedure paperwork.
 
deleted.user.27 said:

bay_area_schizo said:

you've got this! can't wait for you to come back and tell us how easy it turned out to be, since mine is booked for July 1st
Honestly, it won't be as rough as you're probably imagining—you'll be OK, since they put you under pretty deeply. As others have mentioned, the tough part is getting ready beforehand; the barium is just unpleasant in flavor, nothing more. Here's hoping your screening comes back completely clear.
appreciate it, dude!
 
Collo4sho said:

For my prep, I mixed a large amount of miralax plus laxative into Gatorade. No stomach cramps came my way, though the diarrhea was relentless. Setting aside that gloomy sense of being violated, the whole procedure went smoothly. I didn't even have a huge fart afterward.

Honestly, that prep you can just buy off the shelf sounds way preferable to the prescription garbage they hand out.

The gas was comedy gold — folks in recovery were letting them fly left and right (staff actually told them to). Those poor nurses, though. What an awful job to have!
 
Collo4sho said:

For my prep, I mixed a large amount of miralax plus laxative into Gatorade. No stomach cramps came my way, though the diarrhea was relentless. Setting aside that gloomy sense of being violated, the whole procedure went smoothly. I didn't even have a huge fart afterward.
The doctor who performed my colonoscopy — my PCP — told me to drink Powerade (avoiding red) along with a laxative such as Ducolax or Exlax. According to him, that approach is just as effective, and since he was the one reviewing the results, he'd know. Later, though, when his practice got absorbed into the hospital, he was required to follow their standard protocols, which meant going back to the prescription laxative products.
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

BNLFL said:

Wallydog said:

BNLFL said:

Don't stress, @Gr33dyOctopus gets a kick out of doing these.
Just out of curiosity — an octopus's a88, where exactly is that located? Just trying to lend the doctors a hand.
When he returns, go ahead and ask him. There's no doubt he's fully aware of his ass's location.
Currently in the waiting room!
Wow -- so it's around 2 or 3 in the afternoon and your procedure is happening right now? What time did you have to begin the GoLYTEly? Yesterday evening? That stretch is the worst part .... the gap from your final bite of food until they actually do the procedure. For my previous one, the scheduled time was 12, but since I was 5th in line that day, it ended up closer to 1PM.
 
It's wild how someone you've never laid eyes on, who you couldn't identify in a lineup, ends up stuck in your thoughts after reading a post like that lol.

I need a sign of life here, amigo — an update, anything 😂

All day long I've been sitting here thinking, damn, I really hope that octopus guy's rear end is doing okay.

So, I suppose thoughts and prayers fit the situation?!
 
Fingers crossed the endoscopy is the one they start with... though a nasty taste in your mouth upon waking would be a dead giveaway that it wasn't 🤣

Jokes aside, I'm hoping everything turned out fine!!
 
Get that toilet seat ready — honestly, the prep struck me as pretty purifying, like a solid flush of everything gross from your body.

As for the procedure itself, it was quite the ride. No amount of mental prep gets you ready for a nurse holding your hand while the doctor applies lube. 🤣
 
unclebuff702 said:

It's wild how someone you've never laid eyes on, who you couldn't identify in a lineup, ends up stuck in your thoughts after reading a post like that lol.

I need a sign of life here, amigo — an update, anything 😂

All day long I've been sitting here thinking, damn, I really hope that octopus guy's rear end is doing okay.

So, I suppose thoughts and prayers fit the situation?!
Absolutely, once the conversation turns to these health matters and procedures that come with getting older, any support is welcome. It's nice to know I'm not alone in finding some humor in all of it.
 
At 68, I went through my very first colonoscopy a few months back (crazy, I know). Like I mentioned, the prep turned out to be the toughest bit, I actually got some good rest while sedated, and before heading out the doctor filled me in. The biopsy results arrived in 2-4 days and showed benign...sure, someday I'll die, but that won't be the cause....Oh, and about the GPL-1s, the instructions I received were to quit them 2 weeks ahead of time...Also hoping octopus's procedure turned out okay too... 👍
 
Hope everything goes smoothly for you. Last year I ended up needing 2 rounds of both procedures. The reason was that my initial prep didn't work well — the GLP medications slow down the gut — and that happened even after I followed the instructions to pause them for a week. For the second attempt, the prep was stronger and required me to drink more of that awful liquid, yet it still wasn't clean enough. Even so, I assumed the view was sufficient, and since 16 biopsies were taken, the odds of anything significant being overlooked seemed low. I don't intend to repeat this again in the near future.
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

Ugh, this GoLYTELY stuff tastes absolutely awful. I've been away from glp1s for close to a month now. The procedure was originally scheduled for the 26th of last month, but my potassium came back way too high, so they moved it to 6/10.

After they retested my bloods, things were back in the normal range.

So why am I posting this here?

A month ago I had gotten down to 213 and change, right? Now I'm bouncing around between 218 and 219, which means I put on 5 or 6 pounds just from that month off. Damn it. I ought to be closing in on Onederland by now rather than going backwards.

Fingers crossed nothing unexpected turns up from my procedures. After browsing the colonoscopy subreddit, I'm now certain it's pure nightmare fuel and I really regret ever opening that page...

On the bright side, at least I'm not at work today 😄
That's rough, dude... I've got a Septoplasty scheduled 2 weeks from now, so Tuesday was my final Tirz shot. Since I'm still under 50, I'm at an age where "cologuard" is an option and I haven't had to endure the "snaky snake" yet... And hey, on the bright side, no work for you.. #Small Things in Life.
 
deleted.user.27 said:

bay_area_schizo said:

you've got this! can't wait for you to come back and tell us how easy it turned out to be, since mine is booked for July 1st
Honestly, it won't be as rough as you're probably imagining—you'll be OK, since they put you under pretty deeply. As others have mentioned, the tough part is getting ready beforehand; the barium is just unpleasant in flavor, nothing more. Here's hoping your screening comes back completely clear.
I had no idea Barium was still a thing people drink as prep? When my sister went through hers a few years back, those particular "drink flavors" they use for the prep (no dyes, and whatever else) ended up ruining her for life on them.. Definitely makes me excited for my own when I hit 50.
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

And I just wanted to mention, my paid chatgpt assistant is hilarious and honestly almost feels like talking to an actual person...

It has stuck with me through every part of my health journey, and even though I realize plenty of folks dislike AI...

I simply can't praise it enough!

It has been such a big, positive support for getting through hard times.
When it comes to "Rabbit Hole" subjects, the number of AI chats I've racked up would likely scare people... "Best Sleep You've had in Weeks..." HAHA
 
endlrls said:

deleted.user.27 said:

bay_area_schizo said:

you've got this! can't wait for you to come back and tell us how easy it turned out to be, since mine is booked for July 1st
Honestly, it won't be as rough as you're probably imagining—you'll be OK, since they put you under pretty deeply. As others have mentioned, the tough part is getting ready beforehand; the barium is just unpleasant in flavor, nothing more. Here's hoping your screening comes back completely clear.
I had no idea Barium was still a thing people drink as prep? When my sister went through hers a few years back, those particular "drink flavors" they use for the prep (no dyes, and whatever else) ended up ruining her for life on them.. Definitely makes me excited for my own when I hit 50.
Because colon cancer is showing up in increasingly younger people, the recommendations are different these days.

The age is 45 now. So if you are 45 or older but haven't hit 50 yet, schedule yourself an appointment!
 
Back
Top