can y'all keep a secret? (tw: possible eating disorder?)

LettuceEater said:

I think that turning to glp1s in order to get down to extremely low weights amounts to a kind of anorexia or bulimia, comparable to diabulimia. Since 2019 I've been living with EDNOS. The weight I'm aiming for is 89lb (isn't that funny?) And I know that once I actually get there it will likely drop further, the way it always does (it started at 115, then 110, then 100, then 99, then we ended up here). Still, I do recognize that this is disordered. Recovery isn't something I'm ready for yet.

That sounds genuinely hard, and I'm sorry you're going through it. If you already have people around you who support you, I'm glad. If you don't, my hope is that you get a long stretch of steady, bright, grounded days, until you reach a point where you feel prepared.
 
You say you don't think you have a serious eating disorder, but anorexia is often marked by a distorted view of weight and of what counts as normal or healthy.

A 5 second google turns up this definition of anorexia

"Severity of anorexia nervosa Similarly, DSM-5 [3] assesses the disease severity of AN according to the BMI as mild (BMI ≥ 17 kg/m2), moderate (BMI 16–16.99 kg/m2), severe (BMI 15–15.99 kg/m2) or extreme (BMI < 15 kg/m2). Figure 2 displays a synopsis of ICD-11 and DSM-5 severity categories according to the BMI."

89 lbs works out to roughly 40kg, which gives a Bmi of 15.8 — the 40 kg and that bmi both read as underweight, far enough to carry serious health dangers. And even before starting, your weight was already underweight, even though it looked to you like overweight. ( that is precisely what is typical in anorexia ) Taking tirzepatide under these circumstances is a hazard to health rather than an advantage. That BMI lands you in the severe bracket.

Unless you yourself accept that something is wrong, nobody is likely to talk you into getting help, and judging by the question , I suspect that on some level you already know this. Or at least that what you feel about weight and what the numbers show don't line up. Good luck, hopefully something like objective evidence that there is a serious problem here might encourage you to seek help, anorexia is not a mild or benign problem.
 
I've been holding out for someone to step up and say this. From the moment I came across semaglutide back in 2020, I've held the belief that a certain % of people using it would have a normal weight and still want to drop lower. It sounds like it'll be difficult but I hope that you're able to stop abusing the drug and get back to into good health at a normal weight.
 
Back
Top