Bringing Tirz. on a Trip?

PippiLangstrumpf

Explorer
Joined
Mar 10, 2026
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Location
Saarland
Hey everyone, I have a flight to Turkey coming up and I want to take my Tirz along. What's the ideal method for that? Anyone been through this before?
 
PippiLangstrumpf said:

Hey everyone, I have a flight to Turkey coming up and I want to take my Tirz along. What's the ideal method for that? Anyone been through this before?
I'm heading there in 7 days and have to bring a dose of RT, so this topic is very relevant to me. However, chat gpt warns that I shouldn't do it at all, since getting caught could mean a large fine or even jail time!
 
This subject has already been covered in many threads. Try using the search function.

Search terms: travel, flight, TSA, trip, airplane, holiday, vacation
 
indolent said:

This subject has already been covered in many threads. Try using the search function.

Search terms: travel, flight, TSA, trip, airplane, holiday, vacation
No matter how hard I looked, the response I needed just wasn't there 🤷🏼‍♀️
 
When I've gone on trips, I've usually timed my doses so they fit around the travel dates — that approach can work as long as the trip isn't too lengthy.

Sometimes I've even taken a dose slightly behind schedule once I got back.

For people who travel for longer stretches, I've noticed quite a few choosing to bring a pen inside an insulin case, which cuts down on worries about vials of white powder or similar hassles.

My guess is that the rules differ from place to place, and I'm not very familiar with Europe or Turkey.

Here's what Google turned up:

Traveling to Turkey with GLP-1 medications (such as Ozempic, Wegovy, Mounjaro, or Zepbound) is generally permitted, but you must bring the correct medical documentation. Always carry your medication in its original, labeled packaging and keep it in your carry-on luggage to maintain temperature control. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

Essential Preparation

  • Documentation: Carry a copy of your original prescription and a signed doctor's letter on official letterhead. The letter should state your diagnosis, the medication name, the dosage, and confirm that you require injectable medication and needles. [1, 2]
  • Medication Limits: Only bring enough medication for the duration of your trip, plus a small buffer in case of unexpected delays. [1]
  • Original Packaging: Keep pens in their original boxes so customs and security officers can clearly read the pharmacy label with your name and dosage details. [1, 2]

Packing & Storage

  • Carry-On Only: Never put your GLP-1 pens in checked luggage. Airplane cargo holds experience extreme temperature fluctuations that can freeze and ruin the medication. [1]
  • Temperature Control: Unopened GLP-1 pens should be refrigerated (36–46°F or 2–8°C). Use an insulated medical travel cooler with gel ice packs for your flight. Avoid placing pens directly against ice packs to prevent freezing. [1, 2]
  • Room Temperature Limits: Check your specific medication's guidelines for room temperature stability. For example, Ozempic can typically tolerate room temperature for up to 56 days, while Wegovy can last up to 28 days. [1]

Airport & Security

  • TSA & Custom Exemptions: Liquid restrictions and sharp objects do not apply to medically necessary injectables, but you must declare them to security officers. [1, 2]
  • Screening: Pack your medication and syringes/pen needles together in a clear, resealable plastic bag and remove them from your carry-on for a separate hand inspection. [1, 2]
 
You have 2 options: bring the vial plus a few syringes, or carry a pen whose cartridge holds enough to cover the whole trip.

To manage temperature, small travel packs exist that will keep either option cold while you are in transit. After reaching the hotel, move them into the fridge. Room temperature storage is also fine for 21 days (provided it doesn't get too hot).

TSA and similar staff see injectable medications from travelers all the time. It may help to have your prescription and a labeled vial on you.
 
tcpnomad said:

You have 2 options: bring the vial plus a few syringes, or carry a pen whose cartridge holds enough to cover the whole trip.

To manage temperature, small travel packs exist that will keep either option cold while you are in transit. After reaching the hotel, move them into the fridge. Room temperature storage is also fine for 21 days (provided it doesn't get too hot).

TSA and similar staff see injectable medications from travelers all the time. It may help to have your prescription and a labeled vial on you.
No prescription is available on my end
 
PippiLangstrumpf said:

tcpnomad said:

You have 2 options: bring the vial plus a few syringes, or carry a pen whose cartridge holds enough to cover the whole trip.

To manage temperature, small travel packs exist that will keep either option cold while you are in transit. After reaching the hotel, move them into the fridge. Room temperature storage is also fine for 21 days (provided it doesn't get too hot).

TSA and similar staff see injectable medications from travelers all the time. It may help to have your prescription and a labeled vial on you.
No prescription is available on my end
Give "Midnight Express" a watch 🙁
 
on2jinm said:

PippiLangstrumpf said:

tcpnomad said:

You have 2 options: bring the vial plus a few syringes, or carry a pen whose cartridge holds enough to cover the whole trip.

To manage temperature, small travel packs exist that will keep either option cold while you are in transit. After reaching the hotel, move them into the fridge. Room temperature storage is also fine for 21 days (provided it doesn't get too hot).

TSA and similar staff see injectable medications from travelers all the time. It may help to have your prescription and a labeled vial on you.
No prescription is available on my end
Give "Midnight Express" a watch 🙁
When it comes to medications, Turkey doesn't mess around...
 
6 weeks back I traveled to Sardinia with 2 vials that weren't reconstituted — Reta and Tirz — plus 2 bac vials of 3ml. Into my check-in luggage went the whole lot (vials, syringes, swabs, ...). Zero problems at all.

With Turkey, the situation could be different, or it might not be.

Either way, it's not cocaine or heroin you'd be carrying there. The most that could occur is you'd be held until test results return. Tirz isn't a classified narcotic — it's simply a synthetic peptide. That said, depending on how you feel about adventure, being detained might turn into an adventure or a nightmare.

A prescription Mounjaro pen is always an option, one you can carry with documentation. It's the costly yet safe route.
 
BBA1969 said:

6 weeks back I traveled to Sardinia with 2 vials that weren't reconstituted — Reta and Tirz — plus 2 bac vials of 3ml. Into my check-in luggage went the whole lot (vials, syringes, swabs, ...). Zero problems at all.

With Turkey, the situation could be different, or it might not be.

Either way, it's not cocaine or heroin you'd be carrying there. The most that could occur is you'd be held until test results return. Tirz isn't a classified narcotic — it's simply a synthetic peptide. That said, depending on how you feel about adventure, being detained might turn into an adventure or a nightmare.

A prescription Mounjaro pen is always an option, one you can carry with documentation. It's the costly yet safe route.
Simply mark your vial as injectable vitamin C and D. You don't need a prescription for that, and it's a real practice. If they confiscate it, they confiscate it. But nobody ends up in jail over injectable vitamins.

Bill
 
Whiynot20026 said:

BBA1969 said:

6 weeks back I traveled to Sardinia with 2 vials that weren't reconstituted — Reta and Tirz — plus 2 bac vials of 3ml. Into my check-in luggage went the whole lot (vials, syringes, swabs, ...). Zero problems at all.

With Turkey, the situation could be different, or it might not be.

Either way, it's not cocaine or heroin you'd be carrying there. The most that could occur is you'd be held until test results return. Tirz isn't a classified narcotic — it's simply a synthetic peptide. That said, depending on how you feel about adventure, being detained might turn into an adventure or a nightmare.

A prescription Mounjaro pen is always an option, one you can carry with documentation. It's the costly yet safe route.
Simply mark your vial as injectable vitamin C and D. You don't need a prescription for that, and it's a real practice. If they confiscate it, they confiscate it. But nobody ends up in jail over injectable vitamins.

Bill
According to what I found online, a prescription is needed for injectable vitamins in the USA. Unfortunately. Still, perhaps there is a similar workaround.
 
indolent said:

Whiynot20026 said:

BBA1969 said:

6 weeks back I traveled to Sardinia with 2 vials that weren't reconstituted — Reta and Tirz — plus 2 bac vials of 3ml. Into my check-in luggage went the whole lot (vials, syringes, swabs, ...). Zero problems at all.

With Turkey, the situation could be different, or it might not be.

Either way, it's not cocaine or heroin you'd be carrying there. The most that could occur is you'd be held until test results return. Tirz isn't a classified narcotic — it's simply a synthetic peptide. That said, depending on how you feel about adventure, being detained might turn into an adventure or a nightmare.

A prescription Mounjaro pen is always an option, one you can carry with documentation. It's the costly yet safe route.
Simply mark your vial as injectable vitamin C and D. You don't need a prescription for that, and it's a real practice. If they confiscate it, they confiscate it. But nobody ends up in jail over injectable vitamins.

Bill
According to what I found online, a prescription is needed for injectable vitamins in the USA. Unfortunately. Still, perhaps there is a similar workaround.
That's curious. I'm aware of med spas giving both C and D. From what I recall, my friends never mentioned needing a RX. And regardless, what's the worst that happens? They'd likely just confiscate the vials. No big deal.

Bill
 
med spas🤣

But yeah, at worst Turkish Customs would likely just take them. I haven't come across anything showing their written official rules line up with what happens in searches or questioning, etc. Particularly when it's a personal-use amount. People with diabetes have been flying with vials and syringes for years.

Among European nations, Turkiye has the highest obesity rate, even though the majority of its people live in Asia, where Gulf states and certain Middle Eastern countries make them look tame by comparison.

I've given my primary care physician a wink/nod heads-up that I use you-don't-want-to-know tirzepatide, so it got put on the meds list (together with vitamins and supplements) that I can print from the practice's web portal. If I went to Turkiye, or passed through on Turkish Air, that's probably what I'd do. And I'd probably not declare anything at the green/red Customs exits.
 
indolent said:

med spas🤣

But yeah, at worst Turkish Customs would likely just take them. I haven't come across anything showing their written official rules line up with what happens in searches or questioning, etc. Particularly when it's a personal-use amount. People with diabetes have been flying with vials and syringes for years.

Among European nations, Turkiye has the highest obesity rate, even though the majority of its people live in Asia, where Gulf states and certain Middle Eastern countries make them look tame by comparison.

I've given my primary care physician a wink/nod heads-up that I use you-don't-want-to-know tirzepatide, so it got put on the meds list (together with vitamins and supplements) that I can print from the practice's web portal. If I went to Turkiye, or passed through on Turkish Air, that's probably what I'd do. And I'd probably not declare anything at the green/red Customs exits.

Whoa..

Printing out a list of medications..

That's a brilliant idea!!
 
Skidude said:

indolent said:

med spas🤣

But yeah, at worst Turkish Customs would likely just take them. I haven't come across anything showing their written official rules line up with what happens in searches or questioning, etc. Particularly when it's a personal-use amount. People with diabetes have been flying with vials and syringes for years.

Among European nations, Turkiye has the highest obesity rate, even though the majority of its people live in Asia, where Gulf states and certain Middle Eastern countries make them look tame by comparison.

I've given my primary care physician a wink/nod heads-up that I use you-don't-want-to-know tirzepatide, so it got put on the meds list (together with vitamins and supplements) that I can print from the practice's web portal. If I went to Turkiye, or passed through on Turkish Air, that's probably what I'd do. And I'd probably not declare anything at the green/red Customs exits.

Whoa..

Printing out a list of medications..

That's a brilliant idea!!
After checking my own, I figure it could serve the purpose of getting a Customs officer to wave me through and stop dealing with me, should that situation ever arise. That said, its specifics (no Rx number shown, document by vs approved by) are not the same as the in-house prescription meds that are listed. Luckily, it's mixed in among those rather than separated into its own section.

Also, if someone has controlled substances, I doubt the meds list would be enough.
 
indolent said:

Skidude said:

indolent said:

med spas🤣

But yeah, at worst Turkish Customs would likely just take them. I haven't come across anything showing their written official rules line up with what happens in searches or questioning, etc. Particularly when it's a personal-use amount. People with diabetes have been flying with vials and syringes for years.

Among European nations, Turkiye has the highest obesity rate, even though the majority of its people live in Asia, where Gulf states and certain Middle Eastern countries make them look tame by comparison.

I've given my primary care physician a wink/nod heads-up that I use you-don't-want-to-know tirzepatide, so it got put on the meds list (together with vitamins and supplements) that I can print from the practice's web portal. If I went to Turkiye, or passed through on Turkish Air, that's probably what I'd do. And I'd probably not declare anything at the green/red Customs exits.

Whoa..

Printing out a list of medications..

That's a brilliant idea!!
After checking my own, I figure it could serve the purpose of getting a Customs officer to wave me through and stop dealing with me, should that situation ever arise. That said, its specifics (no Rx number shown, document by vs approved by) are not the same as the in-house prescription meds that are listed. Luckily, it's mixed in among those rather than separated into its own section.

Also, if someone has controlled substances, I doubt the meds list would be enough.
Sure, it probably wouldn't be 100% effective and might not do anything here, but honestly, what a clever move.

My guess is it would get you through with a lot of people, or at least push you past that first bit of suspicion they had.

I'm taking this trick for myself
 
Back
Top