lessthanhalf
Explorer
I hope what I said didn't seem like I was judging you or annoyed — that wasn't what I meant at all. Around here, plenty of folks believe that once the weight comes off with GLP drugs, the issue is settled. My take is the opposite: that's when the truly difficult stretch begins. From what I've lived through, holding the weight off across years is close to unachievable — or at least it was until GLP drugs came along. Roughly 6 times in my life I reached a normal or close-to-normal weight, yet I could never remain there beyond a few months, 3 years at the very most, before climbing back to 145kg.Beansnapper said:
These seem like wonder medications. I shed 25 pounds with them, and right now I'm tapering off because I figured the ret wasn't the only factor—my entire approach to eating has changed, so I hoped I could stop needing the ret. Looks like I'll need to reconsider that. What maintenance dose works well, or does it vary from person to person? I'm fortunate that low doses of anything tend to work on me; as a research subject, I'm inexpensive.carriekaye said:
Wow, there is so much more you're overlooking! To start with, maintenance matters. For me, the weight would probably return if I quit the drug. That alone means I never want to go off it. Whenever you quit the behavior that made you drop weight—whatever that behavior is—the pounds come back.
These drugs also fight inflammation strongly, and they ease a wide range of conditions where inflammation drives the symptoms. Examples include joint pain and sleep apnea, numerous autoimmune problems, and plenty more.
On top of that, these drugs correct many metabolic problems. The majority of "western lifestyle diseases" (diabetes, heart disease, cancers, gout, arthritis, PCOS... the list is endless) share insulin resistance as the main underlying cause. These drugs assist in reversing that insulin resistance. They can help stop, manage, and often undo these conditions.
So yes, there are many reasons to keep a steady supply on hand.
I wasn't suggesting anything—I asked a genuine question. Sorry I annoyed you.lessthanhalf said:
Your question seems to assume that once an obese or overweight person drops the weight, the problem is solved and they simply remain lean forever. But according to the research and the experiences shared by many people here, the real challenge isn't taking weight off, it's preventing it from coming back. It's extremely common for someone with obesity to lose weight through a diet, then put it back on, sometimes over and over across their lifetime.Beansnapper said:
I've noticed folks amassing supplies that would last for years, and I'm curious what's driving that choice. Surely they aren't so heavy that they'd require a supply stretching half a decade, right? It seems like there's some detail I'm not grasping.
From my perspective, GLP drugs such as reta or tirz are excellent for weight loss maintenance, far better than just about any alternative out there. They also assist with losing the weight to begin with. For the majority of obese individuals, this is a long-term or lifelong issue, meaning they will need to remain on GLP drugs long term to avoid regaining, and these drugs come with plenty of additional health advantages as well.
Even though sema may become much cheaper in the coming years, reta or tirz are unlikely to be affordable anytime soon, unless you go through the grey or black market, and that market is fairly unstable and could be disrupted, so having a decent stockpile is simply practical protection against that possibility. In my case, these drugs are literally necessary for staying alive long term, so holding 5 years worth is just reasonable.
Should keeping weight off without the drugs have turned out tougher than you anticipated, the answer is simply to begin taking them again. Working out the maintenance dose you'd need hinges mostly on whatever you originally used for weight loss; it will probably be in the same range, maybe somewhat less. If a decent stretch has passed since you stopped, though, you'd need to begin with low doses and gradually increase them so gastrointestinal side effects don't hit you, and along the way you'll probably land on a dose that holds hunger in check well and keeps weight steady. The upside is that you won't be defending a massive loss, so small to normal doses ought to do the job. My rough guess: since you dropped somewhere around 10-15% of your weight, 1-4 mg of reta may be what you need — though dosing varies a lot from person to person.