Beyond shedding pounds, what else do GLP-1 medications offer?

Beansnapper said:

carriekaye said:

Wow, there is so much more you're overlooking! To start with, maintenance matters. For me, the weight would probably return if I quit the drug. That alone means I never want to go off it. Whenever you quit the behavior that made you drop weight—whatever that behavior is—the pounds come back.

These drugs also fight inflammation strongly, and they ease a wide range of conditions where inflammation drives the symptoms. Examples include joint pain and sleep apnea, numerous autoimmune problems, and plenty more.

On top of that, these drugs correct many metabolic problems. The majority of "western lifestyle diseases" (diabetes, heart disease, cancers, gout, arthritis, PCOS... the list is endless) share insulin resistance as the main underlying cause. These drugs assist in reversing that insulin resistance. They can help stop, manage, and often undo these conditions.

So yes, there are many reasons to keep a steady supply on hand.
These seem like wonder medications. I shed 25 pounds with them, and right now I'm tapering off because I figured the ret wasn't the only factor—my entire approach to eating has changed, so I hoped I could stop needing the ret. Looks like I'll need to reconsider that. What maintenance dose works well, or does it vary from person to person? I'm fortunate that low doses of anything tend to work on me; as a research subject, I'm inexpensive.

lessthanhalf said:

Beansnapper said:

I've noticed folks amassing supplies that would last for years, and I'm curious what's driving that choice. Surely they aren't so heavy that they'd require a supply stretching half a decade, right? It seems like there's some detail I'm not grasping.
Your question seems to assume that once an obese or overweight person drops the weight, the problem is solved and they simply remain lean forever. But according to the research and the experiences shared by many people here, the real challenge isn't taking weight off, it's preventing it from coming back. It's extremely common for someone with obesity to lose weight through a diet, then put it back on, sometimes over and over across their lifetime.

From my perspective, GLP drugs such as reta or tirz are excellent for weight loss maintenance, far better than just about any alternative out there. They also assist with losing the weight to begin with. For the majority of obese individuals, this is a long-term or lifelong issue, meaning they will need to remain on GLP drugs long term to avoid regaining, and these drugs come with plenty of additional health advantages as well.

Even though sema may become much cheaper in the coming years, reta or tirz are unlikely to be affordable anytime soon, unless you go through the grey or black market, and that market is fairly unstable and could be disrupted, so having a decent stockpile is simply practical protection against that possibility. In my case, these drugs are literally necessary for staying alive long term, so holding 5 years worth is just reasonable.
I wasn't suggesting anything—I asked a genuine question. Sorry I annoyed you.
I hope what I said didn't seem like I was judging you or annoyed — that wasn't what I meant at all. Around here, plenty of folks believe that once the weight comes off with GLP drugs, the issue is settled. My take is the opposite: that's when the truly difficult stretch begins. From what I've lived through, holding the weight off across years is close to unachievable — or at least it was until GLP drugs came along. Roughly 6 times in my life I reached a normal or close-to-normal weight, yet I could never remain there beyond a few months, 3 years at the very most, before climbing back to 145kg.

Should keeping weight off without the drugs have turned out tougher than you anticipated, the answer is simply to begin taking them again. Working out the maintenance dose you'd need hinges mostly on whatever you originally used for weight loss; it will probably be in the same range, maybe somewhat less. If a decent stretch has passed since you stopped, though, you'd need to begin with low doses and gradually increase them so gastrointestinal side effects don't hit you, and along the way you'll probably land on a dose that holds hunger in check well and keeps weight steady. The upside is that you won't be defending a massive loss, so small to normal doses ought to do the job. My rough guess: since you dropped somewhere around 10-15% of your weight, 1-4 mg of reta may be what you need — though dosing varies a lot from person to person.
 
Tinkerbell2222 said:

In my case, the thought of going back to being FAT is something I never want, which is why I stockpile 😬 My worry was that the grey market might get shut down at some point, and I couldn't bear the idea of losing access to my new companions tirz, reta, cagri…now that I've been in maintenance for 2-1/2 years, I'm easing off the stockpiling 😬 just a bit 🤣
Could you share details about the period when you were losing weight and the current phase of keeping it off? Did anything catch you off guard? What has been the duration of each stage, and which doses were you on? Thanks in advance : )
 
Beansnapper said:

carriekaye said:

Wow, there is so much more you're overlooking! To start with, maintenance matters. For me, the weight would probably return if I quit the drug. That alone means I never want to go off it. Whenever you quit the behavior that made you drop weight—whatever that behavior is—the pounds come back.

These drugs also fight inflammation strongly, and they ease a wide range of conditions where inflammation drives the symptoms. Examples include joint pain and sleep apnea, numerous autoimmune problems, and plenty more.

On top of that, these drugs correct many metabolic problems. The majority of "western lifestyle diseases" (diabetes, heart disease, cancers, gout, arthritis, PCOS... the list is endless) share insulin resistance as the main underlying cause. These drugs assist in reversing that insulin resistance. They can help stop, manage, and often undo these conditions.

So yes, there are many reasons to keep a steady supply on hand.
These seem like wonder medications. I shed 25 pounds with them, and right now I'm tapering off because I figured the ret wasn't the only factor—my entire approach to eating has changed, so I hoped I could stop needing the ret. Looks like I'll need to reconsider that. What maintenance dose works well, or does it vary from person to person? I'm fortunate that low doses of anything tend to work on me; as a research subject, I'm inexpensive.

lessthanhalf said:

Beansnapper said:

I've noticed folks amassing supplies that would last for years, and I'm curious what's driving that choice. Surely they aren't so heavy that they'd require a supply stretching half a decade, right? It seems like there's some detail I'm not grasping.
Your question seems to assume that once an obese or overweight person drops the weight, the problem is solved and they simply remain lean forever. But according to the research and the experiences shared by many people here, the real challenge isn't taking weight off, it's preventing it from coming back. It's extremely common for someone with obesity to lose weight through a diet, then put it back on, sometimes over and over across their lifetime.

From my perspective, GLP drugs such as reta or tirz are excellent for weight loss maintenance, far better than just about any alternative out there. They also assist with losing the weight to begin with. For the majority of obese individuals, this is a long-term or lifelong issue, meaning they will need to remain on GLP drugs long term to avoid regaining, and these drugs come with plenty of additional health advantages as well.

Even though sema may become much cheaper in the coming years, reta or tirz are unlikely to be affordable anytime soon, unless you go through the grey or black market, and that market is fairly unstable and could be disrupted, so having a decent stockpile is simply practical protection against that possibility. In my case, these drugs are literally necessary for staying alive long term, so holding 5 years worth is just reasonable.
I wasn't suggesting anything—I asked a genuine question. Sorry I annoyed you.
Perhaps you fall into that 10 - 20% group who won't inevitably put the weight back on, so avoid locking yourself into any rigid forecasts or commitments regarding what's ahead. My suggestion is to stay flexible in your thinking. We're fortunate enough to run these trials on our own bodies rather than depending solely on big-N studies. Should you choose to build a supply, the worst outcome is simply having some available if a time arrives when the medication quits doing its job for you. Alternatively, you could give your extra to another person in need.

These days we're all amateur researchers, watching our own patterns and tailoring our decisions. It's conceivable you'd regain weight without medication during maintenance, or it's conceivable you wouldn't. Isn't it wonderful that you can arrange things so you're covered either way?
 
Tinkerbell2222 said:

Grogu said:

lessthanhalf said:

Beansnapper said:

I've noticed folks amassing supplies that would last for years, and I'm curious what's driving that choice. Surely they aren't so heavy that they'd require a supply stretching half a decade, right? It seems like there's some detail I'm not grasping.
Your question seems to assume that once an obese or overweight person drops the weight, the problem is solved and they simply remain lean forever. But according to the research and the experiences shared by many people here, the real challenge isn't taking weight off, it's preventing it from coming back. It's extremely common for someone with obesity to lose weight through a diet, then put it back on, sometimes over and over across their lifetime.

From my perspective, GLP drugs such as reta or tirz are excellent for weight loss maintenance, far better than just about any alternative out there. They also assist with losing the weight to begin with. For the majority of obese individuals, this is a long-term or lifelong issue, meaning they will need to remain on GLP drugs long term to avoid regaining, and these drugs come with plenty of additional health advantages as well.

Even though sema may become much cheaper in the coming years, reta or tirz are unlikely to be affordable anytime soon, unless you go through the grey or black market, and that market is fairly unstable and could be disrupted, so having a decent stockpile is simply practical protection against that possibility. In my case, these drugs are literally necessary for staying alive long term, so holding 5 years worth is just reasonable.

It's a shame, but many folks show up here thinking these drugs are just a way to drop weight, and that after hitting their target, sheer determination and habit tweaks will be sufficient to keep it off. For certain individuals, especially those who might never have qualified under the original prescribing guidelines, that could hold true. Yet for a large number of us, the real issue lies in some disruption within the brain-gut signaling system that fuels obesity. Obesity is a medical condition a person lives with, not some personal failing. I realize I'm saying this to people who already get it.

Over the course of my life, I've likely shed more than 1,000 pounds in total, so I'm quite skilled at dropping weight. The puzzle has always been preventing the return. Still, after my very first tirzepatide injection, I understood that Lilly had discovered a workable treatment for my obesity.

Does that make it a cure? No. Is it a treatment? Without a doubt. A cure suggests you address the condition and then halt. A treatment typically involves ongoing therapy because, once you take it away, the underlying condition remains and can flare back up.
I’m with you that this counts as a treatment. How each person maintains looks different. My own routine goes like this: after dropping 90 pounds, I quit glp1 drugs abruptly. My weight sits around 135, and whenever it climbs by 5 pounds, or hits 140 or higher, I restart glp1 drugs and stay on them until that gain comes off, which tends to take three to 4 weeks. At that point I stop once more, and it generally takes roughly 6 weeks before 6 pounds come back. Doing this has held me around 135-140ish for 2-1/2 years. Whether that’s the right way or not, it’s what works in my case. I appreciate not keeping separate fat clothes and skinny clothes in my closet. Only skinny clothes live there, and as long as I have any control over it, that won’t change. 🥳
Even after reading so many accounts like this one, the idea that regain could be simple for me still feels impossible. That's the result of years of feeling powerless over my weight. Often, when the number on the scale starts climbing, I go back to the same habits that used to reliably bring weight loss — only now those habits don't do the job anymore. I'm not at the point of believing it for myself, but it makes me genuinely happy that it happens for other people, and I hope the same will happen for me. If I can't keep the weight off, it would leave me shattered.
 
Tinkerbell2222 said:

Grogu said:

lessthanhalf said:

Beansnapper said:

I've noticed folks amassing supplies that would last for years, and I'm curious what's driving that choice. Surely they aren't so heavy that they'd require a supply stretching half a decade, right? It seems like there's some detail I'm not grasping.
Your question seems to assume that once an obese or overweight person drops the weight, the problem is solved and they simply remain lean forever. But according to the research and the experiences shared by many people here, the real challenge isn't taking weight off, it's preventing it from coming back. It's extremely common for someone with obesity to lose weight through a diet, then put it back on, sometimes over and over across their lifetime.

From my perspective, GLP drugs such as reta or tirz are excellent for weight loss maintenance, far better than just about any alternative out there. They also assist with losing the weight to begin with. For the majority of obese individuals, this is a long-term or lifelong issue, meaning they will need to remain on GLP drugs long term to avoid regaining, and these drugs come with plenty of additional health advantages as well.

Even though sema may become much cheaper in the coming years, reta or tirz are unlikely to be affordable anytime soon, unless you go through the grey or black market, and that market is fairly unstable and could be disrupted, so having a decent stockpile is simply practical protection against that possibility. In my case, these drugs are literally necessary for staying alive long term, so holding 5 years worth is just reasonable.

It's a shame, but many folks show up here thinking these drugs are just a way to drop weight, and that after hitting their target, sheer determination and habit tweaks will be sufficient to keep it off. For certain individuals, especially those who might never have qualified under the original prescribing guidelines, that could hold true. Yet for a large number of us, the real issue lies in some disruption within the brain-gut signaling system that fuels obesity. Obesity is a medical condition a person lives with, not some personal failing. I realize I'm saying this to people who already get it.

Over the course of my life, I've likely shed more than 1,000 pounds in total, so I'm quite skilled at dropping weight. The puzzle has always been preventing the return. Still, after my very first tirzepatide injection, I understood that Lilly had discovered a workable treatment for my obesity.

Does that make it a cure? No. Is it a treatment? Without a doubt. A cure suggests you address the condition and then halt. A treatment typically involves ongoing therapy because, once you take it away, the underlying condition remains and can flare back up.
I’m with you that this counts as a treatment. How each person maintains looks different. My own routine goes like this: after dropping 90 pounds, I quit glp1 drugs abruptly. My weight sits around 135, and whenever it climbs by 5 pounds, or hits 140 or higher, I restart glp1 drugs and stay on them until that gain comes off, which tends to take three to 4 weeks. At that point I stop once more, and it generally takes roughly 6 weeks before 6 pounds come back. Doing this has held me around 135-140ish for 2-1/2 years. Whether that’s the right way or not, it’s what works in my case. I appreciate not keeping separate fat clothes and skinny clothes in my closet. Only skinny clothes live there, and as long as I have any control over it, that won’t change. 🥳
That's fantastic news, well done! I know there are accounts of these drugs losing effectiveness after a break, yet it seems you haven't run into that problem. What a huge weight off your mind that must be! What's the longest stretch you've managed without taking them? Thanks so much : )
 
AngieHolmes said:

Beansnapper said:

carriekaye said:

Wow, there is so much more you're overlooking! To start with, maintenance matters. For me, the weight would probably return if I quit the drug. That alone means I never want to go off it. Whenever you quit the behavior that made you drop weight—whatever that behavior is—the pounds come back.

These drugs also fight inflammation strongly, and they ease a wide range of conditions where inflammation drives the symptoms. Examples include joint pain and sleep apnea, numerous autoimmune problems, and plenty more.

On top of that, these drugs correct many metabolic problems. The majority of "western lifestyle diseases" (diabetes, heart disease, cancers, gout, arthritis, PCOS... the list is endless) share insulin resistance as the main underlying cause. These drugs assist in reversing that insulin resistance. They can help stop, manage, and often undo these conditions.

So yes, there are many reasons to keep a steady supply on hand.
These seem like wonder medications. I shed 25 pounds with them, and right now I'm tapering off because I figured the ret wasn't the only factor—my entire approach to eating has changed, so I hoped I could stop needing the ret. Looks like I'll need to reconsider that. What maintenance dose works well, or does it vary from person to person? I'm fortunate that low doses of anything tend to work on me; as a research subject, I'm inexpensive.

lessthanhalf said:

Beansnapper said:

I've noticed folks amassing supplies that would last for years, and I'm curious what's driving that choice. Surely they aren't so heavy that they'd require a supply stretching half a decade, right? It seems like there's some detail I'm not grasping.
Your question seems to assume that once an obese or overweight person drops the weight, the problem is solved and they simply remain lean forever. But according to the research and the experiences shared by many people here, the real challenge isn't taking weight off, it's preventing it from coming back. It's extremely common for someone with obesity to lose weight through a diet, then put it back on, sometimes over and over across their lifetime.

From my perspective, GLP drugs such as reta or tirz are excellent for weight loss maintenance, far better than just about any alternative out there. They also assist with losing the weight to begin with. For the majority of obese individuals, this is a long-term or lifelong issue, meaning they will need to remain on GLP drugs long term to avoid regaining, and these drugs come with plenty of additional health advantages as well.

Even though sema may become much cheaper in the coming years, reta or tirz are unlikely to be affordable anytime soon, unless you go through the grey or black market, and that market is fairly unstable and could be disrupted, so having a decent stockpile is simply practical protection against that possibility. In my case, these drugs are literally necessary for staying alive long term, so holding 5 years worth is just reasonable.
I wasn't suggesting anything—I asked a genuine question. Sorry I annoyed you.
Perhaps you fall into that 10 - 20% group who won't inevitably put the weight back on, so avoid locking yourself into any rigid forecasts or commitments regarding what's ahead. My suggestion is to stay flexible in your thinking. We're fortunate enough to run these trials on our own bodies rather than depending solely on big-N studies. Should you choose to build a supply, the worst outcome is simply having some available if a time arrives when the medication quits doing its job for you. Alternatively, you could give your extra to another person in need.

These days we're all amateur researchers, watching our own patterns and tailoring our decisions. It's conceivable you'd regain weight without medication during maintenance, or it's conceivable you wouldn't. Isn't it wonderful that you can arrange things so you're covered either way?
For me, keeping the weight off down the road with reta/tirz feels a lot like working a motorcycle's throttle. A bit of gain creeps in, I give it more gas; the pounds start falling off again, I ease back. Whether there's ever a single 'magic' dose that stays put, I doubt it. It'll be small adjustments upward and downward... indefinitely... 😎 👍 🎉
 
Tinkerbell2222 said:

In my case, the thought of going back to being FAT is something I never want, which is why I stockpile 😬 My worry was that the grey market might get shut down at some point, and I couldn't bear the idea of losing access to my new companions tirz, reta, cagri…now that I've been in maintenance for 2-1/2 years, I'm easing off the stockpiling 😬 just a bit 🤣
I get it completely — I only had roughly 30 pounds to lose, yet those 30 pounds coming off transformed how I feel overall. In my case the surplus weight came from poor food decisions rather than any medical condition, which was fortunate. Being 100 plus pounds overweight is something I can't even picture; it must take a toll both physically and mentally.

Grogu said:

lessthanhalf said:

Beansnapper said:

I've noticed folks amassing supplies that would last for years, and I'm curious what's driving that choice. Surely they aren't so heavy that they'd require a supply stretching half a decade, right? It seems like there's some detail I'm not grasping.
Your question seems to assume that once an obese or overweight person drops the weight, the problem is solved and they simply remain lean forever. But according to the research and the experiences shared by many people here, the real challenge isn't taking weight off, it's preventing it from coming back. It's extremely common for someone with obesity to lose weight through a diet, then put it back on, sometimes over and over across their lifetime.

From my perspective, GLP drugs such as reta or tirz are excellent for weight loss maintenance, far better than just about any alternative out there. They also assist with losing the weight to begin with. For the majority of obese individuals, this is a long-term or lifelong issue, meaning they will need to remain on GLP drugs long term to avoid regaining, and these drugs come with plenty of additional health advantages as well.

Even though sema may become much cheaper in the coming years, reta or tirz are unlikely to be affordable anytime soon, unless you go through the grey or black market, and that market is fairly unstable and could be disrupted, so having a decent stockpile is simply practical protection against that possibility. In my case, these drugs are literally necessary for staying alive long term, so holding 5 years worth is just reasonable.

It's a shame, but many folks show up here thinking these drugs are just a way to drop weight, and that after hitting their target, sheer determination and habit tweaks will be sufficient to keep it off. For certain individuals, especially those who might never have qualified under the original prescribing guidelines, that could hold true. Yet for a large number of us, the real issue lies in some disruption within the brain-gut signaling system that fuels obesity. Obesity is a medical condition a person lives with, not some personal failing. I realize I'm saying this to people who already get it.

Over the course of my life, I've likely shed more than 1,000 pounds in total, so I'm quite skilled at dropping weight. The puzzle has always been preventing the return. Still, after my very first tirzepatide injection, I understood that Lilly had discovered a workable treatment for my obesity.

Does that make it a cure? No. Is it a treatment? Without a doubt. A cure suggests you address the condition and then halt. A treatment typically involves ongoing therapy because, once you take it away, the underlying condition remains and can flare back up.
Appreciate it, and your perspective makes sense to me. My situation, thankfully, traces back to a lack of self-restraint — plain old gluttony. Come evening, I'd put away a dinner big enough that I could hardly move, and just 5 minutes later I'd be fixing a massive bowl of ice-cream loaded with every topping and devouring it, followed by yet another snack right before bed. Reta made it simple for me to cut out the dinner overeating and the evening snacks entirely. I admit the idea crossed my mind that staying on reta could let me keep a few unhealthy items in my diet, but I'm working hard to shut down that kind of thinking and stay dedicated to eating well.
 
Beansnapper said:

Tinkerbell2222 said:

In my case, the thought of going back to being FAT is something I never want, which is why I stockpile 😬 My worry was that the grey market might get shut down at some point, and I couldn't bear the idea of losing access to my new companions tirz, reta, cagri…now that I've been in maintenance for 2-1/2 years, I'm easing off the stockpiling 😬 just a bit 🤣
I get it completely — I only had roughly 30 pounds to lose, yet those 30 pounds coming off transformed how I feel overall. In my case the surplus weight came from poor food decisions rather than any medical condition, which was fortunate. Being 100 plus pounds overweight is something I can't even picture; it must take a toll both physically and mentally.

Grogu said:

lessthanhalf said:

Beansnapper said:

I've noticed folks amassing supplies that would last for years, and I'm curious what's driving that choice. Surely they aren't so heavy that they'd require a supply stretching half a decade, right? It seems like there's some detail I'm not grasping.
Your question seems to assume that once an obese or overweight person drops the weight, the problem is solved and they simply remain lean forever. But according to the research and the experiences shared by many people here, the real challenge isn't taking weight off, it's preventing it from coming back. It's extremely common for someone with obesity to lose weight through a diet, then put it back on, sometimes over and over across their lifetime.

From my perspective, GLP drugs such as reta or tirz are excellent for weight loss maintenance, far better than just about any alternative out there. They also assist with losing the weight to begin with. For the majority of obese individuals, this is a long-term or lifelong issue, meaning they will need to remain on GLP drugs long term to avoid regaining, and these drugs come with plenty of additional health advantages as well.

Even though sema may become much cheaper in the coming years, reta or tirz are unlikely to be affordable anytime soon, unless you go through the grey or black market, and that market is fairly unstable and could be disrupted, so having a decent stockpile is simply practical protection against that possibility. In my case, these drugs are literally necessary for staying alive long term, so holding 5 years worth is just reasonable.

It's a shame, but many folks show up here thinking these drugs are just a way to drop weight, and that after hitting their target, sheer determination and habit tweaks will be sufficient to keep it off. For certain individuals, especially those who might never have qualified under the original prescribing guidelines, that could hold true. Yet for a large number of us, the real issue lies in some disruption within the brain-gut signaling system that fuels obesity. Obesity is a medical condition a person lives with, not some personal failing. I realize I'm saying this to people who already get it.

Over the course of my life, I've likely shed more than 1,000 pounds in total, so I'm quite skilled at dropping weight. The puzzle has always been preventing the return. Still, after my very first tirzepatide injection, I understood that Lilly had discovered a workable treatment for my obesity.

Does that make it a cure? No. Is it a treatment? Without a doubt. A cure suggests you address the condition and then halt. A treatment typically involves ongoing therapy because, once you take it away, the underlying condition remains and can flare back up.
Appreciate it, and your perspective makes sense to me. My situation, thankfully, traces back to a lack of self-restraint — plain old gluttony. Come evening, I'd put away a dinner big enough that I could hardly move, and just 5 minutes later I'd be fixing a massive bowl of ice-cream loaded with every topping and devouring it, followed by yet another snack right before bed. Reta made it simple for me to cut out the dinner overeating and the evening snacks entirely. I admit the idea crossed my mind that staying on reta could let me keep a few unhealthy items in my diet, but I'm working hard to shut down that kind of thinking and stay dedicated to eating well.

Once you've shed the extra pounds, you strike me as exactly the kind of person who could taper down or even stop using glp1s altogether. That's why your confusion over what looks like stockpiling makes a lot of sense. I'm just curious—are you on TRT as well?
 
Grogu said:

Beansnapper said:

Tinkerbell2222 said:

In my case, the thought of going back to being FAT is something I never want, which is why I stockpile 😬 My worry was that the grey market might get shut down at some point, and I couldn't bear the idea of losing access to my new companions tirz, reta, cagri…now that I've been in maintenance for 2-1/2 years, I'm easing off the stockpiling 😬 just a bit 🤣
I get it completely — I only had roughly 30 pounds to lose, yet those 30 pounds coming off transformed how I feel overall. In my case the surplus weight came from poor food decisions rather than any medical condition, which was fortunate. Being 100 plus pounds overweight is something I can't even picture; it must take a toll both physically and mentally.

Grogu said:

lessthanhalf said:

Beansnapper said:

I've noticed folks amassing supplies that would last for years, and I'm curious what's driving that choice. Surely they aren't so heavy that they'd require a supply stretching half a decade, right? It seems like there's some detail I'm not grasping.
Your question seems to assume that once an obese or overweight person drops the weight, the problem is solved and they simply remain lean forever. But according to the research and the experiences shared by many people here, the real challenge isn't taking weight off, it's preventing it from coming back. It's extremely common for someone with obesity to lose weight through a diet, then put it back on, sometimes over and over across their lifetime.

From my perspective, GLP drugs such as reta or tirz are excellent for weight loss maintenance, far better than just about any alternative out there. They also assist with losing the weight to begin with. For the majority of obese individuals, this is a long-term or lifelong issue, meaning they will need to remain on GLP drugs long term to avoid regaining, and these drugs come with plenty of additional health advantages as well.

Even though sema may become much cheaper in the coming years, reta or tirz are unlikely to be affordable anytime soon, unless you go through the grey or black market, and that market is fairly unstable and could be disrupted, so having a decent stockpile is simply practical protection against that possibility. In my case, these drugs are literally necessary for staying alive long term, so holding 5 years worth is just reasonable.

It's a shame, but many folks show up here thinking these drugs are just a way to drop weight, and that after hitting their target, sheer determination and habit tweaks will be sufficient to keep it off. For certain individuals, especially those who might never have qualified under the original prescribing guidelines, that could hold true. Yet for a large number of us, the real issue lies in some disruption within the brain-gut signaling system that fuels obesity. Obesity is a medical condition a person lives with, not some personal failing. I realize I'm saying this to people who already get it.

Over the course of my life, I've likely shed more than 1,000 pounds in total, so I'm quite skilled at dropping weight. The puzzle has always been preventing the return. Still, after my very first tirzepatide injection, I understood that Lilly had discovered a workable treatment for my obesity.

Does that make it a cure? No. Is it a treatment? Without a doubt. A cure suggests you address the condition and then halt. A treatment typically involves ongoing therapy because, once you take it away, the underlying condition remains and can flare back up.
Appreciate it, and your perspective makes sense to me. My situation, thankfully, traces back to a lack of self-restraint — plain old gluttony. Come evening, I'd put away a dinner big enough that I could hardly move, and just 5 minutes later I'd be fixing a massive bowl of ice-cream loaded with every topping and devouring it, followed by yet another snack right before bed. Reta made it simple for me to cut out the dinner overeating and the evening snacks entirely. I admit the idea crossed my mind that staying on reta could let me keep a few unhealthy items in my diet, but I'm working hard to shut down that kind of thinking and stay dedicated to eating well.

Once you've shed the extra pounds, you strike me as exactly the kind of person who could taper down or even stop using glp1s altogether. That's why your confusion over what looks like stockpiling makes a lot of sense. I'm just curious—are you on TRT as well?
I'm 63, taking TRT, and honestly I feel like a teenager — it's great.
 
Last year I underwent 2 operations, and both incision areas ended up with intense inflammation. Oddly, inflammation also appeared in other parts of my body.

I've tried physiotherapy, radiation treatment, and 2 shots of Rhenium-186. Rhenium-186 does take time to kick in, but after beginning tirz, I've seen significant gains in mobility and a slight reduction in pain. My energy levels are up (following nearly a year of feeling like I was barely able to move).

I'm confident tirz played a role, because ultimately, only we ourselves can genuinely judge whether something has changed. That's why each person's path is unique.
 
It can be disturbing to watch folks put something into their bodies with zero knowledge of what it is. Personally, I could never use any peptide without first going through the medical research on it.
 
Back
Top