Back in the gym on Reta — is this normal?

Reta cost me a chunk of my stamina; a few friends who run came off it after finding themselves gassed far earlier than before.
 
Yesterday was my first gym visit, 10 days into reta.

Shoulders and chest got some work, and on my final bench set the 5th rep just would not go — 3 sets of 8 reps at 15kg lighter than the weight I used to bench (65kg, where I'd have been at 80kg). Years of gym time and I'd never truly failed a rep, having to rest the bar on my chest and roll it off lol. Was so embarrassing 😅

Then it clicked: for the last 10 days I've been running at least a 1000 calorie deficit on a very low carb diet. Tomorrow I'll try some carb-loading (cream of rice) before the session and see whether that helps!
 
jpru2001 said:

After any layoff, this is the pattern that has always served me (patience required lol)...

For the first several weeks, most movements (presses, rows, that sort of thing) get only 2 working sets, while back squats or dead lifts get just 1. Accessories are largely skipped. Sure, at the start you're finished in 15 or 20 minutes.

Once several weeks have passed, bring in 3 working sets on presses and pulls, and 2 working sets on squats and deadlifts. When you're ready, add the 3rd set of squats and deadlifts.

That is the only way I can be sure of not aggravating something and ending up sidelined right after starting, which matters all the more on a calorie deficit. My hamstrings tweak easily, hence the slow progression on squats and deadlift.
Yeah, waiting has never been my strong
 
VaguenessStaunch said:

Yesterday was my first gym visit, 10 days into reta.

Shoulders and chest got some work, and on my final bench set the 5th rep just would not go — 3 sets of 8 reps at 15kg lighter than the weight I used to bench (65kg, where I'd have been at 80kg). Years of gym time and I'd never truly failed a rep, having to rest the bar on my chest and roll it off lol. Was so embarrassing 😅

Then it clicked: for the last 10 days I've been running at least a 1000 calorie deficit on a very low carb diet. Tomorrow I'll try some carb-loading (cream of rice) before the session and see whether that helps!
That was almost certainly the deficit and the missing carbs compounding! On reta I keep carbs at a moderate level, as my body responds well to them, and a couple of medjool dates with peanut butter is what I reach for pre-workout as fuel.
 
deliriousduckie said:

VaguenessStaunch said:

Yesterday was my first gym visit, 10 days into reta.

Shoulders and chest got some work, and on my final bench set the 5th rep just would not go — 3 sets of 8 reps at 15kg lighter than the weight I used to bench (65kg, where I'd have been at 80kg). Years of gym time and I'd never truly failed a rep, having to rest the bar on my chest and roll it off lol. Was so embarrassing 😅

Then it clicked: for the last 10 days I've been running at least a 1000 calorie deficit on a very low carb diet. Tomorrow I'll try some carb-loading (cream of rice) before the session and see whether that helps!
That was almost certainly the deficit and the missing carbs compounding! On reta I keep carbs at a moderate level, as my body responds well to them, and a couple of medjool dates with peanut butter is what I reach for pre-workout as fuel.
Carb loading before I lift is something I've started doing too — it's made a real difference for me. Stronger than I've ever been!
 
Back
Top