Anyone else with ADHD find that organizing systems actually help?

Alex_9327

Explorer
Joined
Jun 30, 2026
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Something random I picked up on while doing GLP-1:

I bought a label maker to keep my vials in order. Next thing I knew, I was putting labels on everything — drawers, containers, supplies… pretty much anything that could take a label 🤣

What's funny is that I never pictured myself as “that person” who gets a kick out of organizing everything.

Still, being someone with ADHD, I've come to see that having simple systems genuinely makes things easier for me. When everything has a set spot and I'm not depending on my memory for every little thing, a bit of the mental weight lifts.

Does anyone else with ADHD notice that small organizing routines or systems make everyday life smoother?
 
For executive functioning in ADHD and other neurological situations, systems can be really beneficial.

Coaching is also hugely helpful.
 
Honestly, it feels like I can't function without them. The catch is keeping them simple — if I overbuild them, they collapse since I won't keep up with them.

Designing elaborate systems is something I genuinely enjoy, but they don't last because I never follow through.

There was a time I valued being able to go with the flow, yet now that I'm older, I've realized I require far more structure.
 
ShimrodsPhial said:


Yes, getting all those thoughts off her mind helped my ex-wife and my coworker. But as soon as a problem arises, the urge to micromanage returns, and they became unbearable, without boundaries, showing contempt and bad faith...

I'd love to tell you that things sort themselves out as you get older...

Hold on to the little systems that work and that you've discovered for as long as you can. You might let them go at some point, but come back to them.

My coworker told me two weeks ago that someone had recommended Notion to her. She just forgot that we’d tried it as a team a few years ago and that she was the first one to say she didn’t like it.

I've seen testimonials here (and on Reddit) from people for whom Retatrutide has significantly reduced their urges. It might help.

Some therapists were also able to help my ex for a while.

Click to expand...
At the moment I’m keeping things fairly basic, though I don’t know how long I’ll manage to keep it up. My plan is to move forward gradually and watch what happens. Notion is something I want to test out as well.

HereKittyKitty said:

For executive functioning in ADHD and other neurological situations, systems can be really beneficial.

Coaching is also hugely helpful.
Without a doubt.

FunkyWhales78 said:

Honestly, it feels like I can't function without them. The catch is keeping them simple — if I overbuild them, they collapse since I won't keep up with them.

Designing elaborate systems is something I genuinely enjoy, but they don't last because I never follow through.

There was a time I valued being able to go with the flow, yet now that I'm older, I've realized I require far more structure.
True — if a system gets too complicated, it’s bound to collapse.

Shittersfull said:

My wife has ADHD. She benefits a lot from being organized, but she doesn't see it that way.
Having things organized genuinely makes a difference.
 
There have been times when I put something away and later couldn't remember where I put it. That's happened on more than 1 occasion.
 
HereKittyKitty said:

There have been times when I put something away and later couldn't remember where I put it. That's happened on more than 1 occasion.
...and as the years pile on, it only gets harder. There are times I'll spend 20-30 minutes hunting for this very spot, thinking "now where did I put that website again?...oh yeah, there it is..." 😎
 
HereKittyKitty said:

There have been times when I put something away and later couldn't remember where I put it. That's happened on more than 1 occasion.

Flash-BCR said:

HereKittyKitty said:

There have been times when I put something away and later couldn't remember where I put it. That's happened on more than 1 occasion.
...and as the years pile on, it only gets harder. There are times I'll spend 20-30 minutes hunting for this very spot, thinking "now where did I put that website again?...oh yeah, there it is..." 😎
I can be mid-thought about something I need to do, and then just a few seconds pass and it's completely gone from my head.🤔
 
I've never gotten a diagnosis, though I have a hunch I fall somewhere on that spectrum. The concept of getting organized really appeals to me. I build out systems and processes for myself. Two labelers are already in my possession, and I'm browsing options for a 3rd. Containers of every size end up in my cart. Empty supplement bottles get kept. Lists get made in every format.

Yet without fail, the sticking point turns out to be putting the system into practice or keeping it going once I've set it up. My lists go missing. I randomly rediscover the batch of containers from 2 years back. Life just throws too many distractions my way.

One thing I do manage to keep up with, though, is my dose tracking spreadsheet — what I took and on which day.
 
Flash-BCR said:

HereKittyKitty said:

There have been times when I put something away and later couldn't remember where I put it. That's happened on more than 1 occasion.
...and as the years pile on, it only gets harder. There are times I'll spend 20-30 minutes hunting for this very spot, thinking "now where did I put that website again?...oh yeah, there it is..." 😎
My version is "Why did I just open the fridge?" That means I have to walk back to the stove, where I was cooking whatever it was that made me remember I needed X from the refrigerator.
 
FartfulCodger said:

I've never gotten a diagnosis, though I have a hunch I fall somewhere on that spectrum. The concept of getting organized really appeals to me. I build out systems and processes for myself. Two labelers are already in my possession, and I'm browsing options for a 3rd. Containers of every size end up in my cart. Empty supplement bottles get kept. Lists get made in every format.

Yet without fail, the sticking point turns out to be putting the system into practice or keeping it going once I've set it up. My lists go missing. I randomly rediscover the batch of containers from 2 years back. Life just throws too many distractions my way.

One thing I do manage to keep up with, though, is my dose tracking spreadsheet — what I took and on which day.
I've picked up storage bins in the past, but they just became random dumping grounds in the end lol. Still, a label printer genuinely makes a difference — when the info is right there in front of me, it's simpler to keep my attention on track and stay tidy. Because of this forum, I went ahead and got a niimbot haha.😎
 
Alex_9327 said:

FartfulCodger said:

I've never gotten a diagnosis, though I have a hunch I fall somewhere on that spectrum. The concept of getting organized really appeals to me. I build out systems and processes for myself. Two labelers are already in my possession, and I'm browsing options for a 3rd. Containers of every size end up in my cart. Empty supplement bottles get kept. Lists get made in every format.

Yet without fail, the sticking point turns out to be putting the system into practice or keeping it going once I've set it up. My lists go missing. I randomly rediscover the batch of containers from 2 years back. Life just throws too many distractions my way.

One thing I do manage to keep up with, though, is my dose tracking spreadsheet — what I took and on which day.
I've picked up storage bins in the past, but they just became random dumping grounds in the end lol. Still, a label printer genuinely makes a difference — when the info is right there in front of me, it's simpler to keep my attention on track and stay tidy. Because of this forum, I went ahead and got a niimbot haha.😎

Yeah, that tracks with ADHD. That said, there are times when I freeze up completely and nothing gets put away — I'm afraid of breaking the system, yet actually tackling it feels like too much. Worth noting: during my assessment, they mentioned I might want to look into an autism assessment too. Two for the price of one?

Have you thought about getting assessed? It's still early for me, but meds are making a massive difference so far.
 
FunkyWhales78 said:

Alex_9327 said:

FartfulCodger said:

I've never gotten a diagnosis, though I have a hunch I fall somewhere on that spectrum. The concept of getting organized really appeals to me. I build out systems and processes for myself. Two labelers are already in my possession, and I'm browsing options for a 3rd. Containers of every size end up in my cart. Empty supplement bottles get kept. Lists get made in every format.

Yet without fail, the sticking point turns out to be putting the system into practice or keeping it going once I've set it up. My lists go missing. I randomly rediscover the batch of containers from 2 years back. Life just throws too many distractions my way.

One thing I do manage to keep up with, though, is my dose tracking spreadsheet — what I took and on which day.
I've picked up storage bins in the past, but they just became random dumping grounds in the end lol. Still, a label printer genuinely makes a difference — when the info is right there in front of me, it's simpler to keep my attention on track and stay tidy. Because of this forum, I went ahead and got a niimbot haha.😎

Yeah, that tracks with ADHD. That said, there are times when I freeze up completely and nothing gets put away — I'm afraid of breaking the system, yet actually tackling it feels like too much. Worth noting: during my assessment, they mentioned I might want to look into an autism assessment too. Two for the price of one?

Have you thought about getting assessed? It's still early for me, but meds are making a massive difference so far.
I still haven't gone through an assessment. At this point I feel capable of handling things on my own. There's also some fear about what the results might show. What if it turns out I've got the "two for the price of one" situation as well, or maybe even "three for the price of one"... 😅
 
Alex_9327 said:

FunkyWhales78 said:

Alex_9327 said:

FartfulCodger said:

I've never gotten a diagnosis, though I have a hunch I fall somewhere on that spectrum. The concept of getting organized really appeals to me. I build out systems and processes for myself. Two labelers are already in my possession, and I'm browsing options for a 3rd. Containers of every size end up in my cart. Empty supplement bottles get kept. Lists get made in every format.

Yet without fail, the sticking point turns out to be putting the system into practice or keeping it going once I've set it up. My lists go missing. I randomly rediscover the batch of containers from 2 years back. Life just throws too many distractions my way.

One thing I do manage to keep up with, though, is my dose tracking spreadsheet — what I took and on which day.
I've picked up storage bins in the past, but they just became random dumping grounds in the end lol. Still, a label printer genuinely makes a difference — when the info is right there in front of me, it's simpler to keep my attention on track and stay tidy. Because of this forum, I went ahead and got a niimbot haha.😎

Yeah, that tracks with ADHD. That said, there are times when I freeze up completely and nothing gets put away — I'm afraid of breaking the system, yet actually tackling it feels like too much. Worth noting: during my assessment, they mentioned I might want to look into an autism assessment too. Two for the price of one?

Have you thought about getting assessed? It's still early for me, but meds are making a massive difference so far.
I still haven't gone through an assessment. At this point I feel capable of handling things on my own. There's also some fear about what the results might show. What if it turns out I've got the "two for the price of one" situation as well, or maybe even "three for the price of one"... 😅

As long as you're coping, that's fine. For me, it made me much more forgiving toward myself, gave me explanations for past difficulties, and showed me it's fine to have a different perspective.

Also, yes, the medication helps too.
 
HereKittyKitty said:

There have been times when I put something away and later couldn't remember where I put it. That's happened on more than 1 occasion.
100% truth here. Organization has always come naturally to me. Vials and caps get labels — nothing beyond that. According to my wife, aging has made me an anal retentive fool, and honestly she's not wrong. The garage is a constant project for me, and she likes to tell our friends it's better organized than the house itself. Same goes for the end table beside my chair.
 
Alex_9327 said:

Something random I picked up on while doing GLP-1:

I bought a label maker to keep my vials in order. Next thing I knew, I was putting labels on everything — drawers, containers, supplies… pretty much anything that could take a label 🤣

What's funny is that I never pictured myself as “that person” who gets a kick out of organizing everything.

Still, being someone with ADHD, I've come to see that having simple systems genuinely makes things easier for me. When everything has a set spot and I'm not depending on my memory for every little thing, a bit of the mental weight lifts.

Does anyone else with ADHD notice that small organizing routines or systems make everyday life smoother?
I'll suggest it to my wife. If she takes it up, I'll stop wasting time hunting for my things whenever they've been moved somewhere else. The only snag is that she isn't on any GLP's.
 
skaylife said:

Alex_9327 said:

Something random I picked up on while doing GLP-1:

I bought a label maker to keep my vials in order. Next thing I knew, I was putting labels on everything — drawers, containers, supplies… pretty much anything that could take a label 🤣

What's funny is that I never pictured myself as “that person” who gets a kick out of organizing everything.

Still, being someone with ADHD, I've come to see that having simple systems genuinely makes things easier for me. When everything has a set spot and I'm not depending on my memory for every little thing, a bit of the mental weight lifts.

Does anyone else with ADHD notice that small organizing routines or systems make everyday life smoother?
I'll suggest it to my wife. If she takes it up, I'll stop wasting time hunting for my things whenever they've been moved somewhere else. The only snag is that she isn't on any GLP's.
Don't stress about it — a label maker works perfectly well for sorting out plenty of other stuff as well.
 
skaylife said:

Alex_9327 said:

Something random I picked up on while doing GLP-1:

I bought a label maker to keep my vials in order. Next thing I knew, I was putting labels on everything — drawers, containers, supplies… pretty much anything that could take a label 🤣

What's funny is that I never pictured myself as “that person” who gets a kick out of organizing everything.

Still, being someone with ADHD, I've come to see that having simple systems genuinely makes things easier for me. When everything has a set spot and I'm not depending on my memory for every little thing, a bit of the mental weight lifts.

Does anyone else with ADHD notice that small organizing routines or systems make everyday life smoother?
I'll suggest it to my wife. If she takes it up, I'll stop wasting time hunting for my things whenever they've been moved somewhere else. The only snag is that she isn't on any GLP's.
No problem — a label maker has tons of purposes beyond GLP. You can sort all sorts of stuff at home with it. 😂
 
Oh, it definitely does. These days I label everything (and not only glps), and my place is packed with storage boxes and containers in every size and color. Somehow it calms my mind. 😁
 
AriaKbye said:

Oh, it definitely does. These days I label everything (and not only glps), and my place is packed with storage boxes and containers in every size and color. Somehow it calms my mind. 😁
I know exactly what you mean.
 
Back
Top