HereKittyKitty said:
HouseCat said:
HoopFan said:
Thanks a lot, and I'm sorry too that you lost your BFF. It's harder to deal with when it happens suddenly.
HouseCat said:
HoopFan said:
Every day we set out fresh water for the birds and squirrels, and we've ended up with a litter of kittens plus their mom and dad. Our goal is to trap and neuter the whole bunch. Twice daily they get water and wet food that's been mixed with extra water. During the hottest parts of the day, we also drop ice cubes into their water bowl to bring the temperature down.
A week ago I lost my old man cat to a sudden, hidden illness, and since then I've been hoping to catch one of the kittens to keep.
I miss that boy every single damn day. He was part of my life for 2 decades. He stuck with me through everything.
Losing them is devastating, and I'm truly sorry that happened to you. The bond we share with the creatures in our family is unlike anything else. My own best friend went suddenly as well - whether it comes fast or drags on, the pain is monstrous either way. Sending you a huge embrace.
The ice cube trick is brilliant! I gave it a go yesterday, and Phaedra, my girl, just stared at it completely baffled!
Those gatos get mixed up so easily, particularly when ice cubes are floating around. They bat at them, then pull their paws back fast and give you a look like "WTF DUDE?????"
Right now fireworks worry me more. I'm really scared they'll frighten the babies away.
Oh, fireworks—I can't stand them, and neither can my pets. So on the 4th of July we just stay curled up in a pile, flinching at every bang. Plenty of police officers are my neighbors, and they realize there won't be any consequences for lighting them off, so the whole area turns into a nightmare of wHEEEeeee…booms! I'm quietly crossing my fingers that the high temperatures will keep people from doing it, but given that this is the big 250th anniversary, I'm not holding my breath. It'll be me and los kitties cowering in the bedroom.
The point is, they
could opt for fireworks that don't make noise.
My cats never go outside, and they're comfortable thanks to the a/c. Fresh water sits in their fountains. I also toss ice cubes into the reservoir. Inside, it's holding at 82. Compared with 111 — what my weather station showed yesterday — 82 is a 29* break.
As for my outdoor bunch — cats around the neighborhood that I TNR and rehome whenever they're friendly — they've been arriving to eat sooner in the morning and later at night.
The water dishes I keep outside get refilled with fresh water every few hours. Every kind of animal and insect uses them.
Stay cool!