Animals in the Heatwaves

SeaGypsy said:

my 2 parrots have been getting a bit grumpy since they aren't getting as much time outdoors. They each have a fan of their own, but it's still too hot even so. I've been keeping them indoors with the AC on, and they do get a couple of hours outside in the morning, but by 10-11 it's already getting too hot. They pant like dogs, so the moment I notice them holding their wings out and the tiniest pant....back inside.
I never felt comfortable bringing my cockatiel and sun conure outdoors unless they were inside a carrier. I was constantly afraid that they might escape somehow 😢
 
I’ve been putting ice cubes into my cat’s water bucket.

At first, she had no idea what it was, but now she’s okay with it.
 
I leave the AC/Dehumidifier running inside for my "solo man/Gato"

Upstairs he has a water bowl that I refill/refresh often, plus wet food gets served to him 2 times per day...

At some point he does the classic cat thing and goes MIA for a nap lasting like 33 hours.. but once feeding time arrives.. WATCH OUT! The meowing is loud AND insistent!

"wHy iS My fOoD DiSh eMpTy aNd wHeRe iS My fOoD ThO!.."

what comes next is typically pure judgment the entire time

Just so we're clear, I adore my cat
 
jailbird said:

SeaGypsy said:

my 2 parrots have been getting a bit grumpy since they aren't getting as much time outdoors. They each have a fan of their own, but it's still too hot even so. I've been keeping them indoors with the AC on, and they do get a couple of hours outside in the morning, but by 10-11 it's already getting too hot. They pant like dogs, so the moment I notice them holding their wings out and the tiniest pant....back inside.
I never felt comfortable bringing my cockatiel and sun conure outdoors unless they were inside a carrier. I was constantly afraid that they might escape somehow 😢
They're kept safe at all times. I don't take any chances with my babies. We even have harnesses for taking them out on walks with us.

Did you happen to catch my 2nd post about how they get their outside time
 
endlrls said:

I leave the AC/Dehumidifier running inside for my "solo man/Gato"

Upstairs he has a water bowl that I refill/refresh often, plus wet food gets served to him 2 times per day...

At some point he does the classic cat thing and goes MIA for a nap lasting like 33 hours.. but once feeding time arrives.. WATCH OUT! The meowing is loud AND insistent!

"wHy iS My fOoD DiSh eMpTy aNd wHeRe iS My fOoD ThO!.."

what comes next is typically pure judgment the entire time

Just so we're clear, I adore my cat
That photo captures his character so well! It basically yells, “Where is it?!?”

Phaedra, my girl, is another water enthusiast… downstairs she uses the big shared bowl, while upstairs she has a private bowl of her own in the bathtub. When we repaired the dripping tub faucet, she was NOT pleased!… so having a bowl there is our compromise. (Oddly, neither she nor Nomi, her BFF, care for the fancy cat fountain, though I might try it again before long.)

SeaGypsy said:

jailbird said:

SeaGypsy said:

my 2 parrots have been getting a bit grumpy since they aren't getting as much time outdoors. They each have a fan of their own, but it's still too hot even so. I've been keeping them indoors with the AC on, and they do get a couple of hours outside in the morning, but by 10-11 it's already getting too hot. They pant like dogs, so the moment I notice them holding their wings out and the tiniest pant....back inside.
I never felt comfortable bringing my cockatiel and sun conure outdoors unless they were inside a carrier. I was constantly afraid that they might escape somehow 😢
They're kept safe at all times. I don't take any chances with my babies. We even have harnesses for taking them out on walks with us.

Did you happen to catch my 2nd post about how they get their outside time
Please, we need pictures of everyone walking their parrots! What are their ages? How long have they been with you? Do they speak? 🦜
 
HouseCat said:

endlrls said:

I leave the AC/Dehumidifier running inside for my "solo man/Gato"

Upstairs he has a water bowl that I refill/refresh often, plus wet food gets served to him 2 times per day...

At some point he does the classic cat thing and goes MIA for a nap lasting like 33 hours.. but once feeding time arrives.. WATCH OUT! The meowing is loud AND insistent!

"wHy iS My fOoD DiSh eMpTy aNd wHeRe iS My fOoD ThO!.."

what comes next is typically pure judgment the entire time

Just so we're clear, I adore my cat
That photo captures his character so well! It basically yells, “Where is it?!?”

Phaedra, my girl, is another water enthusiast… downstairs she uses the big shared bowl, while upstairs she has a private bowl of her own in the bathtub. When we repaired the dripping tub faucet, she was NOT pleased!… so having a bowl there is our compromise. (Oddly, neither she nor Nomi, her BFF, care for the fancy cat fountain, though I might try it again before long.)

SeaGypsy said:

jailbird said:

SeaGypsy said:

my 2 parrots have been getting a bit grumpy since they aren't getting as much time outdoors. They each have a fan of their own, but it's still too hot even so. I've been keeping them indoors with the AC on, and they do get a couple of hours outside in the morning, but by 10-11 it's already getting too hot. They pant like dogs, so the moment I notice them holding their wings out and the tiniest pant....back inside.
I never felt comfortable bringing my cockatiel and sun conure outdoors unless they were inside a carrier. I was constantly afraid that they might escape somehow 😢
They're kept safe at all times. I don't take any chances with my babies. We even have harnesses for taking them out on walks with us.

Did you happen to catch my 2nd post about how they get their outside time
Please, we need pictures of everyone walking their parrots! What are their ages? How long have they been with you? Do they speak? 🦜
Here they are, perched on the boom in their harnesses before we head out. While we walk, they simply ride along on us. I avoid placing them down on surfaces since I'm concerned about diseases wildlife or birds might leave behind. Taking photos during walks is tough because Jax (the grey one) needs my full attention—he's extremely spastic. Scarlet is the red one. Both have been with us since they hatched, 19years now.

Jax does the talking, but sadly he repeats the worst things 😩 Scarlet stays sweet with just hi, peekaboo, and muahh sounds.
 
SeaGypsy said:

HouseCat said:

endlrls said:

I leave the AC/Dehumidifier running inside for my "solo man/Gato"

Upstairs he has a water bowl that I refill/refresh often, plus wet food gets served to him 2 times per day...

At some point he does the classic cat thing and goes MIA for a nap lasting like 33 hours.. but once feeding time arrives.. WATCH OUT! The meowing is loud AND insistent!

"wHy iS My fOoD DiSh eMpTy aNd wHeRe iS My fOoD ThO!.."

what comes next is typically pure judgment the entire time

Just so we're clear, I adore my cat
That photo captures his character so well! It basically yells, “Where is it?!?”

Phaedra, my girl, is another water enthusiast… downstairs she uses the big shared bowl, while upstairs she has a private bowl of her own in the bathtub. When we repaired the dripping tub faucet, she was NOT pleased!… so having a bowl there is our compromise. (Oddly, neither she nor Nomi, her BFF, care for the fancy cat fountain, though I might try it again before long.)

SeaGypsy said:

jailbird said:

SeaGypsy said:

my 2 parrots have been getting a bit grumpy since they aren't getting as much time outdoors. They each have a fan of their own, but it's still too hot even so. I've been keeping them indoors with the AC on, and they do get a couple of hours outside in the morning, but by 10-11 it's already getting too hot. They pant like dogs, so the moment I notice them holding their wings out and the tiniest pant....back inside.
I never felt comfortable bringing my cockatiel and sun conure outdoors unless they were inside a carrier. I was constantly afraid that they might escape somehow 😢
They're kept safe at all times. I don't take any chances with my babies. We even have harnesses for taking them out on walks with us.

Did you happen to catch my 2nd post about how they get their outside time
Please, we need pictures of everyone walking their parrots! What are their ages? How long have they been with you? Do they speak? 🦜
Here they are, perched on the boom in their harnesses before we head out. While we walk, they simply ride along on us. I avoid placing them down on surfaces since I'm concerned about diseases wildlife or birds might leave behind. Taking photos during walks is tough because Jax (the grey one) needs my full attention—he's extremely spastic. Scarlet is the red one. Both have been with us since they hatched, 19years now.

Jax does the talking, but sadly he repeats the worst things 😩 Scarlet stays sweet with just hi, peekaboo, and muahh sounds.
I appreciate you posting this! They're stunning, and what a gift to have shared 19 years together — plus plenty more ahead, since I understand they live a long time. I bet folks go wild when they spot you all strolling around with them — I know I definitely would! 🤩
 
Back
Top