After 2 years on Tirz where to go next? Elora or Maz?

Gwynhwyfar

Explorer
Joined
Dec 14, 2025
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Location
BY
Today marks 2 years since my first Tirz shot. That journey brought me roughly 120 lbs down, and I feel great about it. For 1 year I stayed at 15mg using brand-name product from the pharmacy, but since Dec 2025 the scale hasn´t budged.

I don´t lift weights — swimming is my thing, and I cover 2 or 3 KM on 6 days each week. Another 60 lbs would put me in a normal weight range. My body fat still sits at 48 %.

8 weeks back I began Reta while tapering Tirz. Right now that means 7.5 mg Tirz plus 4mg Reta, yet I´ve seen no change. Evening cravings hit hard — I´m hunting snacks and opening the fridge... On saturday I threw in 0.25mg Cagri hoping for some suppression, but there´s nothing, unlike how Tirz felt at the start.

So I´m wondering: would Eloralintide work better? Or Madzdutide? I just want to get back on track and hit my calorie goal.
 
Congrats on dropping so much weight, that's a big deal. With your history at 15mg Tirz and now down to just 7.5mg T plus 4mg Reta, your appetite is going to come back stronger than it was at 15mg Tirz. In my experience R barely touches hunger, and personally I actually felt hungrier while taking R than I did with nothing.

A better path, in my view, is to push T upward and add a small amount of Reta on top for the glucagon side of things.

As for cagri, give it a full 7 days before judging, then consider bumping to 500mcg. For me it built up slowly.
 
ColdSmoke said:

Has raising Tirz to 20mg ever crossed your mind?
No — my reason for wanting to switch was Reta, specifically the edge it has for belly fat loss (and belly fat is exactly my problem area!)
 
Gwynhwyfar said:


Nope, I wanted to change to Reta, because of the benefits on loosing belly fat (that´s where it is !)

Click to expand...
Alright, so I switched over from Tirz to Reta.

Month 1: I'd inject 7.5mg of Tirz, then 4mg of Reta 3 days afterward. (The very first time, I did both on the same day and that was a massive mistake, lmao.)

Month 2: I bumped up to 5mg Tirz alongside 8mg Reta. That's when the dizzy spells kicked in hard - at the gym, at work, whenever I stood up after squatting or changed elevation. On top of that, food aversion hit me badly. Even when I knew I needed to eat, I had to force it down.

About 2 weeks into my second month of titrating, I dropped the Tirz entirely. Just stopped it. I stayed at 8mg Reta for 6 weeks, then increased to 10mg. Now I fill up quickly, but there are still moments - typically in the morning - where eating feels like a chore. Lunch, dinner, or a daytime snack? Those are fine. I also get full much faster.

Congrats on your weight loss journey! It's great that you're staying active and chasing your goals. I'm just sharing what I went through, hoping it might help you out.
 
Once you titrate reta up to 12mg, there's still a solid possibility it will do the job for you. That said, considering the amount of weight you've already dropped and how long you were stuck at 15mg of tirz, it probably won't deliver a huge amount of additional loss — though it should at minimum prevent regain, which matters just as much. If side effects permit, going beyond 12mg of reta could be worth looking into.

For add-ons, cagri and eloralintide are the top choices. Elora has less research behind it so far, but appears to offer greater weight loss with fewer side effects than cagri, so it may be the stronger pick. If you've already begun low-dose cagri, though, it could be worth slowly increasing the dose to gauge your tolerance, then switching to elora should side effects become an issue.

Unfortunately, cagrisema is the only human combo-GLP research available to date. It performed reasonably well for weight loss, but the extra loss fell short of expectations, and with sema it came with quite high rates of side effects.

Research has yet to really cover the situation you're facing. My perspective is that a high degree of obesity is genuinely harmful to health, and any potential risks from combination or high-dose GLP therapies are very unlikely to exceed the risks of leaving the obesity untreated.

I only began GLPs after losing most of the weight — currently on tirz15mg/reta5mg/cagri0.5mg and down 55% at 64kg from 145kg. Even so, the drugs help enormously with hunger control, and I believe there's a good chance I can keep the weight off this time.
 
My suggestion: pair reta with elora. Alternatively, start with reta alone and judge the results. If you hit a wall or need more, add elora to the reta. From what I hear, that pairing works extremely well.
 
Sounds like the moment has come to put more emphasis on what you eat and rely less on the medication. A stall lasting months tells me your intake is not below maintenance. Tracking what you eat and choosing foods with fewer calories per bite is a better path than simply piling on additional drugs. The meds work best as a tool that helps you shift toward healthier eating, not as the main engine of weight loss.

Staying as active as you are is great, and plenty of people never manage that. It probably feels like your eating has been fine, but a stall of that duration means you are still taking in more calories than you burn. A calorie tracking app plus consistent, careful logging would be my strong recommendation; examine closely what actually goes in, and skip the app's own targets, since those have been found to be way off.

I get wanting that appetite suppression back, and hopefully it returns, but until then I would push you to seek out foods that are less calorie dense and to prioritize protein along with overall volume. That ought to help somewhat.
 
I agree with @lessthanhalf — titrate Reta upward and, if side effects permit, push beyond 12mg. My own switch from 5mg Tirz to stronger Reta doses happened fast and without much trouble.

Evidence is still thin, though Elora's reputation matches what you seem to be after.

What are your side effects like on Tirz, and on Reta/Cag now?

5byfive said:

Sounds like the moment has come to put more emphasis on what you eat and rely less on the medication. A stall lasting months tells me your intake is not below maintenance. Tracking what you eat and choosing foods with fewer calories per bite is a better path than simply piling on additional drugs. The meds work best as a tool that helps you shift toward healthier eating, not as the main engine of weight loss.

Staying as active as you are is great, and plenty of people never manage that. It probably feels like your eating has been fine, but a stall of that duration means you are still taking in more calories than you burn. A calorie tracking app plus consistent, careful logging would be my strong recommendation; examine closely what actually goes in, and skip the app's own targets, since those have been found to be way off.

I get wanting that appetite suppression back, and hopefully it returns, but until then I would push you to seek out foods that are less calorie dense and to prioritize protein along with overall volume. That ought to help somewhat.

That's a solid observation.
 
woundcarping said:

I agree with @lessthanhalf — titrate Reta upward and, if side effects permit, push beyond 12mg. My own switch from 5mg Tirz to stronger Reta doses happened fast and without much trouble.

Evidence is still thin, though Elora's reputation matches what you seem to be after.

What are your side effects like on Tirz, and on Reta/Cag now?

5byfive said:

Sounds like the moment has come to put more emphasis on what you eat and rely less on the medication. A stall lasting months tells me your intake is not below maintenance. Tracking what you eat and choosing foods with fewer calories per bite is a better path than simply piling on additional drugs. The meds work best as a tool that helps you shift toward healthier eating, not as the main engine of weight loss.

Staying as active as you are is great, and plenty of people never manage that. It probably feels like your eating has been fine, but a stall of that duration means you are still taking in more calories than you burn. A calorie tracking app plus consistent, careful logging would be my strong recommendation; examine closely what actually goes in, and skip the app's own targets, since those have been found to be way off.

I get wanting that appetite suppression back, and hopefully it returns, but until then I would push you to seek out foods that are less calorie dense and to prioritize protein along with overall volume. That ought to help somewhat.

That's a solid observation.
On Tirz the side effects were mild: a bit of nausea and occasional diarrhea, maybe once weekly. But in December, when mounjaro quit working for me, those effects vanished entirely. These days I feel nothing whatsoever. I'm constantly hungry, have cravings stronger than ever, and never get that full feeling. It's worse than it was before I began Tirz.
 
5byfive said:

Sounds like the moment has come to put more emphasis on what you eat and rely less on the medication. A stall lasting months tells me your intake is not below maintenance. Tracking what you eat and choosing foods with fewer calories per bite is a better path than simply piling on additional drugs. The meds work best as a tool that helps you shift toward healthier eating, not as the main engine of weight loss.

Staying as active as you are is great, and plenty of people never manage that. It probably feels like your eating has been fine, but a stall of that duration means you are still taking in more calories than you burn. A calorie tracking app plus consistent, careful logging would be my strong recommendation; examine closely what actually goes in, and skip the app's own targets, since those have been found to be way off.

I get wanting that appetite suppression back, and hopefully it returns, but until then I would push you to seek out foods that are less calorie dense and to prioritize protein along with overall volume. That ought to help somewhat.
I kept logging everything all along, and staying at 1300 cal per day while reaching my protein target was never an issue. But these days I'm unbelievably hungry, wanting chocolate and snacks in a way I never did before! I can't figure out why it was 18 months of everything staying easy, and now it isn't?
 
Gwynhwyfar said:

5byfive said:

Sounds like the moment has come to put more emphasis on what you eat and rely less on the medication. A stall lasting months tells me your intake is not below maintenance. Tracking what you eat and choosing foods with fewer calories per bite is a better path than simply piling on additional drugs. The meds work best as a tool that helps you shift toward healthier eating, not as the main engine of weight loss.

Staying as active as you are is great, and plenty of people never manage that. It probably feels like your eating has been fine, but a stall of that duration means you are still taking in more calories than you burn. A calorie tracking app plus consistent, careful logging would be my strong recommendation; examine closely what actually goes in, and skip the app's own targets, since those have been found to be way off.

I get wanting that appetite suppression back, and hopefully it returns, but until then I would push you to seek out foods that are less calorie dense and to prioritize protein along with overall volume. That ought to help somewhat.
I kept logging everything all along, and staying at 1300 cal per day while reaching my protein target was never an issue. But these days I'm unbelievably hungry, wanting chocolate and snacks in a way I never did before! I can't figure out why it was 18 months of everything staying easy, and now it isn't?
That only accounts for part of it. Staying at a calorie intake that low, particularly given how active you are, will produce consequences. Your system interprets it as starvation. It follows that your appetite went up. In a way, you brought this on yourself. Eventually the drive to survive will beat the medication.

Return to a sensible deficit, calculated from your current situation at 500-700 calories below maintenance, and progress should follow. A stall since December does indicate that you have not been in a deficit for some time, so you ought to be positioned to resume. You can keep working on balancing meds to manage hunger, but a proper deficit plus prioritizing protein and foods with low calorie density will make a difference.
 
Your calorie intake has been extremely low for a long stretch, which explains why your system is now pushing hard to get food in. Could cagrisema be an option for you? Appetite control with it ought to be quite strong. Alternatively, in my view, you could return to 15mg of Tirz and then layer in Reta gradually.
 
Ugh. When you started out at a heavier size — or still are — watching these meds stop hitting as hard turns into a real disaster.

It's worse when they appear to stall out short of the target. If it were me, I'd break the tirz and reta into shots every 3.5 days and raise the dose too.

Fingers crossed that options such as elora keep moving through the development chain, so those of us who build up tolerances get fresh routes to drop weight and hold it off.
 
Gwynhwyfar said:

Today marks 2 years since my first Tirz shot. That journey brought me roughly 120 lbs down, and I feel great about it. For 1 year I stayed at 15mg using brand-name product from the pharmacy, but since Dec 2025 the scale hasn´t budged.

I don´t lift weights — swimming is my thing, and I cover 2 or 3 KM on 6 days each week. Another 60 lbs would put me in a normal weight range. My body fat still sits at 48 %.

8 weeks back I began Reta while tapering Tirz. Right now that means 7.5 mg Tirz plus 4mg Reta, yet I´ve seen no change. Evening cravings hit hard — I´m hunting snacks and opening the fridge... On saturday I threw in 0.25mg Cagri hoping for some suppression, but there´s nothing, unlike how Tirz felt at the start.

So I´m wondering: would Eloralintide work better? Or Madzdutide? I just want to get back on track and hit my calorie goal.
It's nearly 2 years now since I began. My stack was Reta for dropping weight and Tirz for keeping hunger down. My weight is holding steady during maintenance, but the appetite control has clearly weakened, which concerns me. So I plan to swap Tirz out for Eloralintide as my appetite suppressant and test it alongside Reta.

Separately, I've been puzzling over why EL put out rodent data while human trials on Tirz/Elora are still underway. My guess: the human results look promising, but they're too early to publish. Perhaps the rodent studies were meant to signal that combining Tirz with Elora genuinely delivers. On its own, Elora matches Tirz in effectiveness while causing fewer side effects. Stacked with Tirz, the two produce an additive effect. Added after a plateau, it ends the stall and weight loss resumes. Honestly, quite impressive.

Maintenance is my situation, not what the trials are examining. Still, I'm ready to try things. I'll be honest: the thought of putting back the 112lbs I shed terrifies me. Even with Eloralintide's results being preliminary, I'm willing to take a gamble on it. Returning to my old self is not an option. It simply isn't.
 
5byfive said:

Sounds like the moment has come to put more emphasis on what you eat and rely less on the medication. A stall lasting months tells me your intake is not below maintenance. Tracking what you eat and choosing foods with fewer calories per bite is a better path than simply piling on additional drugs. The meds work best as a tool that helps you shift toward healthier eating, not as the main engine of weight loss.

Staying as active as you are is great, and plenty of people never manage that. It probably feels like your eating has been fine, but a stall of that duration means you are still taking in more calories than you burn. A calorie tracking app plus consistent, careful logging would be my strong recommendation; examine closely what actually goes in, and skip the app's own targets, since those have been found to be way off.

I get wanting that appetite suppression back, and hopefully it returns, but until then I would push you to seek out foods that are less calorie dense and to prioritize protein along with overall volume. That ought to help somewhat.
In this particular situation, I'd push back on that recommendation — I don't think it's the right call. Here we have someone dealing with serious, long-standing obesity, already eating very little, and stuck 2/3rds of the way toward their target while on the max tirz dose. Sure, the 1300 calorie figure might be off; most people are notoriously poor at tracking intake. But relying on deliberate mental restriction of calories over the long haul to manage obesity simply doesn't hold up well — you may get short-term wins, yet far fewer lasting ones. Changing what kinds of foods you eat is a less flawed strategy; I favor low calorie density, high protein patterns, since that makes it simpler to eat enough to feel less hungry without taking in excessive calories.

So far, apart from surgery, the only thing that appears capable of producing a meaningful shift in severe obesity is GLP medication. Research on how to proceed when someone stalls at max doses is still thin, though it will accumulate in time, and a fair number of members here have seen results well beyond trial data by combining agents and using higher doses. For me, they sustain a 55% loss, but achieving that takes a tirz/reta/cagri combo.

I'm deeply unconvinced by the idea of eating more to lose more in this setting. That isn't how the body operates. Yes, a handful of people online report success with it, but in my own case — fairly close to the OP's, with chronic adaptation to low intake and weight holding steady at 1600-1800 kcal/day — even an extra 100kcal/day puts weight on.

Should the hunger be causing real distress, one path is to raise reta doses more quickly, though that also raises the odds of stronger, more abrupt side effects. The safer route is split dosing — every 2 to 3 days, or twice weekly — so with twice weekly you might step up by 0.5mg of reta per dose: 2.5 twice a week, then 3mg twice a week, and so on, provided you ease off the increases once side effects or appetite suppression appear. Check glp plotter first, though. With smaller, more frequent doses, side effects usually resolve in about half the time once they show up.

If higher reta doses still leave you with major issues, returning to tirz with cagri added, or some reta plus tirz version — which appears to work in my case — may suit you better. Or simply raise tirz back to 15 mg alongside the lower reta dose, plus low dose cagri, which is basically my own regimen. Polypharmacy at this level with GLP's calls for at least some monitoring, ideally medical; checking blood pressure, lipids, liver function, renal function, blood counts and blood sugars is a sensible minimum. If diabetic, particularly on other meds, watch blood sugar very carefully.

Also worth noting: some people do get hungrier when starting reta because of the glucagon agonism, and that tends to fade as the body adjusts.
 
Thanks lessthanhalf! What you wrote is a big help to me!

Because of my rheumatism, I get bloodwork every 3 months covering all the necessary values. Since beginning Tirz 2 years ago, though, things have shifted a lot for the better, and right now I have no inflammation and no pain for the first time in 12 years. My doctor is really pleased about that!

Hashimoto is also part of my picture, which is why losing weight was always such a fight, and Tirz was what finally let me start dropping weight for the first time across the last 40 years of my obesity history.

My plan is to raise Reta slowly and, I guess, hold on to a 5 mg dose of Tirz to keep inflammation under control. With Reta I suppose I have to be patient. Maybe 4 mg still isn´t enough for me to start losing again. But I´ll also find out whether splitting doses helps me keep hunger in check.
 
For year 1 you used brand-name Mounjaro, after that you moved to some form of generic tirz and kept getting results for another 6 months, and then it stopped.

Around that point, did your source, kit batch, or anything else change? Is the kit you're currently using from a batch that has undergone third-party testing (rather than a CoA supplied by or through a vendor)? Also, which vendor is it?
 
indolent said:

For year 1 you used brand-name Mounjaro, after that you moved to some form of generic tirz and kept getting results for another 6 months, and then it stopped.

Around that point, did your source, kit batch, or anything else change? Is the kit you're currently using from a batch that has undergone third-party testing (rather than a CoA supplied by or through a vendor)? Also, which vendor is it?
Nope, brand name is still what I use — grey Tirz was never something I moved to. Grey Reta and Cagri are the only grey items I have.

That said, the brand Tirz pens date from November and carry an expiration of 2/27, so I'm unsure whether that could be a problem.

My idea was to recon some T30 from grey and see whether it hits differently or feels stronger
 
Gwynhwyfar said:

Today marks 2 years since my first Tirz shot. That journey brought me roughly 120 lbs down, and I feel great about it. For 1 year I stayed at 15mg using brand-name product from the pharmacy, but since Dec 2025 the scale hasn´t budged.

I don´t lift weights — swimming is my thing, and I cover 2 or 3 KM on 6 days each week. Another 60 lbs would put me in a normal weight range. My body fat still sits at 48 %.

8 weeks back I began Reta while tapering Tirz. Right now that means 7.5 mg Tirz plus 4mg Reta, yet I´ve seen no change. Evening cravings hit hard — I´m hunting snacks and opening the fridge... On saturday I threw in 0.25mg Cagri hoping for some suppression, but there´s nothing, unlike how Tirz felt at the start.

So I´m wondering: would Eloralintide work better? Or Madzdutide? I just want to get back on track and hit my calorie goal.
Lowering the tirzepatide this early isn't what I'd have done. Why not hold tirz where it is while reta goes up gradually?
 
Back
Top