birdwhacker said:
QueenMuntha said:
birdwhacker said:
cujet said:
62M, used to be an athlete. Weight now holds around 192 pounds (roughly where I want to be), previously 262. Still strong and able to go slow for long stretches, even with several autoimmune conditions. Those conditions triggered AFIB 30 years back. Nothing since then, until this happened.
I was up on my moving truck and tumbled out of the cab, roughly 6 feet to the ground. I had been putting together a platform for my puppy, stepped off it, and missed the foothold. My headphones smashed against a nearby tree (that's what kept me from getting hurt), then I struck the truck, then landed. I ended up battered and scraped. The series of impacts is what stopped any bones from breaking, since each one slowed the fall.
Right away my pulse jumped to 160 and would not come down. I stayed on the ground for 30 minutes hoping it would calm. My Apple watch flagged AFIB along with a high rate that was gradually dropping. The next night, a little over 24 hours afterward, I went back into a steady sinus rhythm during a good hot shower, with a pleasant Ahhhh sensation, and nothing since.
No doubt the adrenaline from the fall drove my heart rate up.
Because I had gone 30 years without AFIB (that earlier case came from a heart infection), even after plenty of dirt bike wrecks, SeaDoo wave jumping and racing chaos, and bicycle racing crashes with fractures, I believe Retatrutide tipped me past the limit. I had just increased to 5mg/wk, which appears to be my maintenance dose. On Reta my resting heart rate is probably above my fit-normal, though I can't say by how much. It was also elevated when my weight was higher. Perhaps 82bpm either way. Fat, or on Reta.
QueenMuntha said:
Reta seems to set off AFib episodes even at .5mg per week, triggered by minor things such as eating tomato sauce or having food within 6 hours of going to bed. None of this occurred prior to when I reintroduced small Reta doses, after having quit it because of back pain tied to the gall bladder.
I'm not claiming correlation equals causation, but it is mighty peculiar. This is my 5am Kardia reading on Wed, following spaghetti and meatballs with tomato sauce at 5pm. (200 mg of Flecainide settled it after 2 hours.)
SeaGypsy said:
At a 2.5mg low dose of Reta, I ran into heart rate problems. Even while just sitting around watching television, my readings would occasionally jump into the 130s and 140s. After switching back to Tirz, everything returned to normal.
I have a question for each of you:
Are magnesium and potassium part of your daily routine? Which supplements are you on, and is there anything you take specifically to support heart health?
Nope, I don't take any supplements. My regimen is just 75mg Metoprolol, 50 mg Flecainide bid and Xarelto.
Magnesium didn't do anything for me when I gave it a shot. That said, prior to starting Reta, my AFib episodes were only around 3 times/year. Oh, and I can't forget my trusty CPAP.
That's rough. At the very least, if nothing else, I'd strongly urge you to start taking 200mg of elemental magnesium daily in the form of magnesium glycinate. Both Doctor's Best and Now Foods are solid choices.
QueenMuntha said:
birdwhacker said:
cujet said:
62M, used to be an athlete. Weight now holds around 192 pounds (roughly where I want to be), previously 262. Still strong and able to go slow for long stretches, even with several autoimmune conditions. Those conditions triggered AFIB 30 years back. Nothing since then, until this happened.
I was up on my moving truck and tumbled out of the cab, roughly 6 feet to the ground. I had been putting together a platform for my puppy, stepped off it, and missed the foothold. My headphones smashed against a nearby tree (that's what kept me from getting hurt), then I struck the truck, then landed. I ended up battered and scraped. The series of impacts is what stopped any bones from breaking, since each one slowed the fall.
Right away my pulse jumped to 160 and would not come down. I stayed on the ground for 30 minutes hoping it would calm. My Apple watch flagged AFIB along with a high rate that was gradually dropping. The next night, a little over 24 hours afterward, I went back into a steady sinus rhythm during a good hot shower, with a pleasant Ahhhh sensation, and nothing since.
No doubt the adrenaline from the fall drove my heart rate up.
Because I had gone 30 years without AFIB (that earlier case came from a heart infection), even after plenty of dirt bike wrecks, SeaDoo wave jumping and racing chaos, and bicycle racing crashes with fractures, I believe Retatrutide tipped me past the limit. I had just increased to 5mg/wk, which appears to be my maintenance dose. On Reta my resting heart rate is probably above my fit-normal, though I can't say by how much. It was also elevated when my weight was higher. Perhaps 82bpm either way. Fat, or on Reta.
QueenMuntha said:
Reta seems to set off AFib episodes even at .5mg per week, triggered by minor things such as eating tomato sauce or having food within 6 hours of going to bed. None of this occurred prior to when I reintroduced small Reta doses, after having quit it because of back pain tied to the gall bladder.
I'm not claiming correlation equals causation, but it is mighty peculiar. This is my 5am Kardia reading on Wed, following spaghetti and meatballs with tomato sauce at 5pm. (200 mg of Flecainide settled it after 2 hours.)
SeaGypsy said:
At a 2.5mg low dose of Reta, I ran into heart rate problems. Even while just sitting around watching television, my readings would occasionally jump into the 130s and 140s. After switching back to Tirz, everything returned to normal.
I have a question for each of you:
Are magnesium and potassium part of your daily routine? Which supplements are you on, and is there anything you take specifically to support heart health?
Nope, I don't take any supplements. My regimen is just 75mg Metoprolol, 50 mg Flecainide bid and Xarelto.
Magnesium didn't do anything for me when I gave it a shot. That said, prior to starting Reta, my AFib episodes were only around 3 times/year. Oh, and I can't forget my trusty CPAP.
Xarelto—ha, that brings back memories. I ended up with an embolism after the covid vaccine a few years ago. My mom had to grab a sample for me from one of her offices since the doctor I saw afterward refused to prescribe it, doubting my account. Good times. I was on it for 3 months, plus a ton of NAC, natto, fish oil, iodine, vitamin D, and zinc.
If you're on a blood thinner, adding omega 3 is wise too. Now Foods Liquid is the most budget-friendly, but if you're feeling fancy, go for Nordic Naturals.
QueenMuntha said:
birdwhacker said:
cujet said:
62M, used to be an athlete. Weight now holds around 192 pounds (roughly where I want to be), previously 262. Still strong and able to go slow for long stretches, even with several autoimmune conditions. Those conditions triggered AFIB 30 years back. Nothing since then, until this happened.
I was up on my moving truck and tumbled out of the cab, roughly 6 feet to the ground. I had been putting together a platform for my puppy, stepped off it, and missed the foothold. My headphones smashed against a nearby tree (that's what kept me from getting hurt), then I struck the truck, then landed. I ended up battered and scraped. The series of impacts is what stopped any bones from breaking, since each one slowed the fall.
Right away my pulse jumped to 160 and would not come down. I stayed on the ground for 30 minutes hoping it would calm. My Apple watch flagged AFIB along with a high rate that was gradually dropping. The next night, a little over 24 hours afterward, I went back into a steady sinus rhythm during a good hot shower, with a pleasant Ahhhh sensation, and nothing since.
No doubt the adrenaline from the fall drove my heart rate up.
Because I had gone 30 years without AFIB (that earlier case came from a heart infection), even after plenty of dirt bike wrecks, SeaDoo wave jumping and racing chaos, and bicycle racing crashes with fractures, I believe Retatrutide tipped me past the limit. I had just increased to 5mg/wk, which appears to be my maintenance dose. On Reta my resting heart rate is probably above my fit-normal, though I can't say by how much. It was also elevated when my weight was higher. Perhaps 82bpm either way. Fat, or on Reta.
QueenMuntha said:
Reta seems to set off AFib episodes even at .5mg per week, triggered by minor things such as eating tomato sauce or having food within 6 hours of going to bed. None of this occurred prior to when I reintroduced small Reta doses, after having quit it because of back pain tied to the gall bladder.
I'm not claiming correlation equals causation, but it is mighty peculiar. This is my 5am Kardia reading on Wed, following spaghetti and meatballs with tomato sauce at 5pm. (200 mg of Flecainide settled it after 2 hours.)
SeaGypsy said:
At a 2.5mg low dose of Reta, I ran into heart rate problems. Even while just sitting around watching television, my readings would occasionally jump into the 130s and 140s. After switching back to Tirz, everything returned to normal.
I have a question for each of you:
Are magnesium and potassium part of your daily routine? Which supplements are you on, and is there anything you take specifically to support heart health?
Nope, I don't take any supplements. My regimen is just 75mg Metoprolol, 50 mg Flecainide bid and Xarelto.
Magnesium didn't do anything for me when I gave it a shot. That said, prior to starting Reta, my AFib episodes were only around 3 times/year. Oh, and I can't forget my trusty CPAP.
There are times I don't notice a change after brushing my teeth, but you still need to do it at least a few times a week. That's just basic self-care. Skipping all supplements seems insane to me.