12mg Reta - Moving at a Snail's Pace

nkresho said:

My take: the calorie intake side is probably being underestimated.

Ultimately this comes down to straightforward arithmetic. A deficit means weight comes off; a surplus means it doesn't.

Reta certainly makes it easier to eat less, and it might nudge resting metabolic rate up slightly, but whether you look at a day, a week or a month, stalled weight means too much going in relative to what's going out.

Sauces, little bites here and there, drinks — whatever the source, I'd bet something is slipping past the daily tally.

Cutting straight to 1500 is pretty aggressive, and if you can't hold it for the long haul, there's no point, since the bounce back will hit hard.

My suggestion: if 1,950 is your current daily count, bring it to 1850-1800 and be strict about it, then track what the scale does.

Keep in mind that 1 pound of fat equals roughly 3,500 calories. That means a 500 calorie deficit held for 7 days in a row just to drop 1 pound. Slip over your target on 1 or 2 days and the entire week can be undone.

Hawk_recon said:

Prodigy217 said:

So far Reta hasn't done anything for me. Here's the whole timeline... What's going on? I'd welcome any input or advice.



Wk1 - 1mg - 278lbs

Wk2 - 2mg - 278lbs

Wk3- 2mg - 280.4lbs

Wk4- 2mg - 277.6lbs

Wk5- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk6- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk7- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk8- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk9- 6mg - 280lbs

Wk10- 6mg - 278lbs

Wk11- 6mg - 276.4lbs

Wk12- 8mg - 278lbs
Do you keep an eye on the calories you take in versus burn? When the scale won't budge, it means your calorie intake is too high. That's the ironclad law of this process.
I am, though it doesn't go far enough.

orenkaid said:

What foods are you actually consuming? Before I switched to keto and started sticking to clean whole foods, my carb cravings were out of control—pizza, fried stuff, that whole category—because of the dopamine hit they gave me. You can feel hungry and still drop weight, but when what you're eating is wired to be addictive for your brain, that hunger could be showing up through that pathway. That's exactly why I skip cheat days altogether, even while on Reta.
About 2 slices of pizza is my limit before I feel awful. Normally that would take at least double the amount. So something is shifting, it's just a matter of getting things going.
 
Hawk_recon said:

Prodigy217 said:

So far Reta hasn't done anything for me. Here's the whole timeline... What's going on? I'd welcome any input or advice.



Wk1 - 1mg - 278lbs

Wk2 - 2mg - 278lbs

Wk3- 2mg - 280.4lbs

Wk4- 2mg - 277.6lbs

Wk5- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk6- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk7- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk8- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk9- 6mg - 280lbs

Wk10- 6mg - 278lbs

Wk11- 6mg - 276.4lbs

Wk12- 8mg - 278lbs
Do you keep an eye on the calories you take in versus burn? When the scale won't budge, it means your calorie intake is too high. That's the ironclad law of this process.
I think that's likely where I'm going wrong. Tracking what I eat isn't something I've wanted to do, but I need to start.
 
woundcarping said:

Prodigy217 said:

So far Reta hasn't done anything for me. Here's the whole timeline... What's going on? I'd welcome any input or advice.



Wk1 - 1mg - 278lbs

Wk2 - 2mg - 278lbs

Wk3- 2mg - 280.4lbs

Wk4- 2mg - 277.6lbs

Wk5- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk6- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk7- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk8- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk9- 6mg - 280lbs

Wk10- 6mg - 278lbs

Wk11- 6mg - 276.4lbs

Wk12- 8mg - 278lbs
Calling that “surprising” isn’t quite right — roughly 10% of the people in the trial didn’t respond at all.

What you’d want to check first is whether the Reta you took was actually Reta.
To give it a shot, I picked up product from 3 separate vendors. Once I bumped up to 6mg, there was a slight drop in my appetite. Semaglutide and Tirzepatide are both things I've taken before, and each of them delivered results for me. What got in the way with those was insurance coverage and staying consistent. So when I chose to take this path, I figured I'd give Reta a go given how much praise it gets. Now, though, it feels like I'm getting nowhere. 12 weeks have passed and there's nothing to show for it. I'm leaning toward switching back to Tirz, but getting it through gray so the cost is actually manageable. 🤷‍♂️
 
Hawk_recon said:

Prodigy217 said:

So far Reta hasn't done anything for me. Here's the whole timeline... What's going on? I'd welcome any input or advice.



Wk1 - 1mg - 278lbs

Wk2 - 2mg - 278lbs

Wk3- 2mg - 280.4lbs

Wk4- 2mg - 277.6lbs

Wk5- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk6- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk7- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk8- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk9- 6mg - 280lbs

Wk10- 6mg - 278lbs

Wk11- 6mg - 276.4lbs

Wk12- 8mg - 278lbs
Do you keep an eye on the calories you take in versus burn? When the scale won't budge, it means your calorie intake is too high. That's the ironclad law of this process.
Nope, calorie counting isn't something I do, and honestly it doesn't seem like I'm eating a ton. Though I could be wrong. Here's the thing: back when I used Sema and Tirz, tracking wasn't necessary either, and the weight started coming off in just the first 2 weeks on each. So I figured Reta would follow the same pattern...It didn't.
 
Draculawless said:

Hawk_recon said:

Prodigy217 said:

So far Reta hasn't done anything for me. Here's the whole timeline... What's going on? I'd welcome any input or advice.



Wk1 - 1mg - 278lbs

Wk2 - 2mg - 278lbs

Wk3- 2mg - 280.4lbs

Wk4- 2mg - 277.6lbs

Wk5- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk6- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk7- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk8- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk9- 6mg - 280lbs

Wk10- 6mg - 278lbs

Wk11- 6mg - 276.4lbs

Wk12- 8mg - 278lbs
Do you keep an eye on the calories you take in versus burn? When the scale won't budge, it means your calorie intake is too high. That's the ironclad law of this process.
I think that's likely where I'm going wrong. Tracking what I eat isn't something I've wanted to do, but I need to start.
You're right, and I realize it's a lazy approach. My reasoning was that tracking wasn't necessary before, so why now? Given that this one is supposedly the top-tier GLP, I assumed my results would mirror what happened with the previous ones.
 
Prodigy217 said:

Hawk_recon said:

Prodigy217 said:

So far Reta hasn't done anything for me. Here's the whole timeline... What's going on? I'd welcome any input or advice.



Wk1 - 1mg - 278lbs

Wk2 - 2mg - 278lbs

Wk3- 2mg - 280.4lbs

Wk4- 2mg - 277.6lbs

Wk5- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk6- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk7- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk8- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk9- 6mg - 280lbs

Wk10- 6mg - 278lbs

Wk11- 6mg - 276.4lbs

Wk12- 8mg - 278lbs
Do you keep an eye on the calories you take in versus burn? When the scale won't budge, it means your calorie intake is too high. That's the ironclad law of this process.
Nope, calorie counting isn't something I do, and honestly it doesn't seem like I'm eating a ton. Though I could be wrong. Here's the thing: back when I used Sema and Tirz, tracking wasn't necessary either, and the weight started coming off in just the first 2 weeks on each. So I figured Reta would follow the same pattern...It didn't.
Reta definitely behaves unlike the others. For me, there was zero appetite suppression while on Reta, and after just a few weeks it completely quit doing anything. Tirz has worked out better in my case. That said, whenever someone isn't dropping weight, the very first thing they ought to do is track everything meticulously (sauces, dressings, and so on included) for a few weeks. 100% that will expose what's actually going on.
 
Prodigy217 said:

woundcarping said:

Prodigy217 said:

So far Reta hasn't done anything for me. Here's the whole timeline... What's going on? I'd welcome any input or advice.



Wk1 - 1mg - 278lbs

Wk2 - 2mg - 278lbs

Wk3- 2mg - 280.4lbs

Wk4- 2mg - 277.6lbs

Wk5- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk6- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk7- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk8- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk9- 6mg - 280lbs

Wk10- 6mg - 278lbs

Wk11- 6mg - 276.4lbs

Wk12- 8mg - 278lbs
Calling that “surprising” isn’t quite right — roughly 10% of the people in the trial didn’t respond at all.

What you’d want to check first is whether the Reta you took was actually Reta.
To give it a shot, I picked up product from 3 separate vendors. Once I bumped up to 6mg, there was a slight drop in my appetite. Semaglutide and Tirzepatide are both things I've taken before, and each of them delivered results for me. What got in the way with those was insurance coverage and staying consistent. So when I chose to take this path, I figured I'd give Reta a go given how much praise it gets. Now, though, it feels like I'm getting nowhere. 12 weeks have passed and there's nothing to show for it. I'm leaning toward switching back to Tirz, but getting it through gray so the cost is actually manageable. 🤷‍♂️
Gray sema was something I'd also used, going as high as 2.4, and the effects were unmistakable for me. With this, the whole thing just comes across as "meh." Nobody's claiming it's a miracle drug, but compared to the sema I was running, the impact so far has been weaker. And again, every single review of the source looks amazing and comes with testing to back it up. Perhaps it simply isn't effective in my case. Perhaps tirz would be the smarter route.
 
Hawk_recon said:

Prodigy217 said:

Hawk_recon said:

Prodigy217 said:

So far Reta hasn't done anything for me. Here's the whole timeline... What's going on? I'd welcome any input or advice.



Wk1 - 1mg - 278lbs

Wk2 - 2mg - 278lbs

Wk3- 2mg - 280.4lbs

Wk4- 2mg - 277.6lbs

Wk5- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk6- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk7- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk8- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk9- 6mg - 280lbs

Wk10- 6mg - 278lbs

Wk11- 6mg - 276.4lbs

Wk12- 8mg - 278lbs
Do you keep an eye on the calories you take in versus burn? When the scale won't budge, it means your calorie intake is too high. That's the ironclad law of this process.
Nope, calorie counting isn't something I do, and honestly it doesn't seem like I'm eating a ton. Though I could be wrong. Here's the thing: back when I used Sema and Tirz, tracking wasn't necessary either, and the weight started coming off in just the first 2 weeks on each. So I figured Reta would follow the same pattern...It didn't.
Reta definitely behaves unlike the others. For me, there was zero appetite suppression while on Reta, and after just a few weeks it completely quit doing anything. Tirz has worked out better in my case. That said, whenever someone isn't dropping weight, the very first thing they ought to do is track everything meticulously (sauces, dressings, and so on included) for a few weeks. 100% that will expose what's actually going on.
Thanks for sharing your perspective. I believe returning to Tirz is the best option for me.
 
Draculawless said:


I had been on gray sema as well up to 2.4 and I definitely felt it. This kind of just feels "meh." I know it's not a miracle drug but so far it's been less of an effect than the sema I was on. Once again all of the reviews for the source are stunning and backed by tests. Maybe it just doesn't work for me. Maybe tirz would make more sense.

Click to expand...
It's a letdown for us, but at least I now realize I'm not the only one. lol.
 
Prodigy217 said:

Hawk_recon said:

Prodigy217 said:

So far Reta hasn't done anything for me. Here's the whole timeline... What's going on? I'd welcome any input or advice.



Wk1 - 1mg - 278lbs

Wk2 - 2mg - 278lbs

Wk3- 2mg - 280.4lbs

Wk4- 2mg - 277.6lbs

Wk5- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk6- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk7- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk8- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk9- 6mg - 280lbs

Wk10- 6mg - 278lbs

Wk11- 6mg - 276.4lbs

Wk12- 8mg - 278lbs
Do you keep an eye on the calories you take in versus burn? When the scale won't budge, it means your calorie intake is too high. That's the ironclad law of this process.
Nope, calorie counting isn't something I do, and honestly it doesn't seem like I'm eating a ton. Though I could be wrong. Here's the thing: back when I used Sema and Tirz, tracking wasn't necessary either, and the weight started coming off in just the first 2 weeks on each. So I figured Reta would follow the same pattern...It didn't.

Reta is not equivalent in effect to those 2. Based on what earlier users have consistently reported, the pattern looks like this: when someone said "RETA IS GREAT!", that person had never taken Tirz or Sema. When someone asked "Why isn't Reta working for me!?", that person had already used 1 of them, or both.
 
JoonyO said:

Prodigy217 said:

Hawk_recon said:

Prodigy217 said:

So far Reta hasn't done anything for me. Here's the whole timeline... What's going on? I'd welcome any input or advice.



Wk1 - 1mg - 278lbs

Wk2 - 2mg - 278lbs

Wk3- 2mg - 280.4lbs

Wk4- 2mg - 277.6lbs

Wk5- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk6- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk7- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk8- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk9- 6mg - 280lbs

Wk10- 6mg - 278lbs

Wk11- 6mg - 276.4lbs

Wk12- 8mg - 278lbs
Do you keep an eye on the calories you take in versus burn? When the scale won't budge, it means your calorie intake is too high. That's the ironclad law of this process.
Nope, calorie counting isn't something I do, and honestly it doesn't seem like I'm eating a ton. Though I could be wrong. Here's the thing: back when I used Sema and Tirz, tracking wasn't necessary either, and the weight started coming off in just the first 2 weeks on each. So I figured Reta would follow the same pattern...It didn't.

Reta is not equivalent in effect to those 2. Based on what earlier users have consistently reported, the pattern looks like this: when someone said "RETA IS GREAT!", that person had never taken Tirz or Sema. When someone asked "Why isn't Reta working for me!?", that person had already used 1 of them, or both.
I fall into that unusual group who began with Reta, and for roughly 3-4 weeks it was effective for me. After that, it felt as though something switched, and regardless of how much I increased the dose as time passed, it produced no effect at all except a significant rise in my resting heart rate, while my HRV dropped considerably. The more I look into this, the clearer it becomes that responses to these peptides vary greatly from person to person. That's exactly why reading guidance is valuable for everyone, yet equally important is paying attention to your own body and making decisions tailored to you. Our bodies are wonderfully intricate and one-of-a-kind systems.
 
Hawk_recon said:

JoonyO said:

Prodigy217 said:

Hawk_recon said:

Prodigy217 said:

So far Reta hasn't done anything for me. Here's the whole timeline... What's going on? I'd welcome any input or advice.



Wk1 - 1mg - 278lbs

Wk2 - 2mg - 278lbs

Wk3- 2mg - 280.4lbs

Wk4- 2mg - 277.6lbs

Wk5- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk6- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk7- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk8- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk9- 6mg - 280lbs

Wk10- 6mg - 278lbs

Wk11- 6mg - 276.4lbs

Wk12- 8mg - 278lbs
Do you keep an eye on the calories you take in versus burn? When the scale won't budge, it means your calorie intake is too high. That's the ironclad law of this process.
Nope, calorie counting isn't something I do, and honestly it doesn't seem like I'm eating a ton. Though I could be wrong. Here's the thing: back when I used Sema and Tirz, tracking wasn't necessary either, and the weight started coming off in just the first 2 weeks on each. So I figured Reta would follow the same pattern...It didn't.

Reta is not equivalent in effect to those 2. Based on what earlier users have consistently reported, the pattern looks like this: when someone said "RETA IS GREAT!", that person had never taken Tirz or Sema. When someone asked "Why isn't Reta working for me!?", that person had already used 1 of them, or both.
I fall into that unusual group who began with Reta, and for roughly 3-4 weeks it was effective for me. After that, it felt as though something switched, and regardless of how much I increased the dose as time passed, it produced no effect at all except a significant rise in my resting heart rate, while my HRV dropped considerably. The more I look into this, the clearer it becomes that responses to these peptides vary greatly from person to person. That's exactly why reading guidance is valuable for everyone, yet equally important is paying attention to your own body and making decisions tailored to you. Our bodies are wonderfully intricate and one-of-a-kind systems.

Did your HRV increase?
 
woundcarping said:

Hawk_recon said:

JoonyO said:

Prodigy217 said:

Hawk_recon said:

Prodigy217 said:

So far Reta hasn't done anything for me. Here's the whole timeline... What's going on? I'd welcome any input or advice.



Wk1 - 1mg - 278lbs

Wk2 - 2mg - 278lbs

Wk3- 2mg - 280.4lbs

Wk4- 2mg - 277.6lbs

Wk5- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk6- 3mg - 280lbs

Wk7- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk8- 4mg - 280lbs

Wk9- 6mg - 280lbs

Wk10- 6mg - 278lbs

Wk11- 6mg - 276.4lbs

Wk12- 8mg - 278lbs
Do you keep an eye on the calories you take in versus burn? When the scale won't budge, it means your calorie intake is too high. That's the ironclad law of this process.
Nope, calorie counting isn't something I do, and honestly it doesn't seem like I'm eating a ton. Though I could be wrong. Here's the thing: back when I used Sema and Tirz, tracking wasn't necessary either, and the weight started coming off in just the first 2 weeks on each. So I figured Reta would follow the same pattern...It didn't.

Reta is not equivalent in effect to those 2. Based on what earlier users have consistently reported, the pattern looks like this: when someone said "RETA IS GREAT!", that person had never taken Tirz or Sema. When someone asked "Why isn't Reta working for me!?", that person had already used 1 of them, or both.
I fall into that unusual group who began with Reta, and for roughly 3-4 weeks it was effective for me. After that, it felt as though something switched, and regardless of how much I increased the dose as time passed, it produced no effect at all except a significant rise in my resting heart rate, while my HRV dropped considerably. The more I look into this, the clearer it becomes that responses to these peptides vary greatly from person to person. That's exactly why reading guidance is valuable for everyone, yet equally important is paying attention to your own body and making decisions tailored to you. Our bodies are wonderfully intricate and one-of-a-kind systems.

Did your HRV increase?
Nice spot! I actually meant it dropped, and dropped significantly 😱 I've gone back and revised my earlier wording so it's clearer. Appreciate you catching that
 
A number of you treat calories in versus calories out as though it were some infallible formula for pinpointing where a person's habits went wrong...if that held true, not a single one of us would need GLP1 or any other weight loss medication

Getting older wreaks a cruel havoc on metabolism, and a steep calorie deficit may leave your basal metabolic expenditure permanently damaged, as a case study of "fattest fat loser" participants showed. It's completely plausible that OP's basal enetgy expenditure is simply that low, whether from age or some other cause. Maybe it's thyroid, maybe it's cushing, or maybe it's just a temporary metabolic shift brought on by the severe deficit.
 
randompersonrandom said:

DjJoshua said:

Draculawless said:

Starting with the basics - my stats

Male, 44 years old: decent looking, though not exactly striking

Weight right now: 278

Weight when I began in Feb 2026: 295

Working out: I lift weights 3x weekly when my schedule allows. On my lunch break I try to walk about 2.5 miles at the quickest pace I can manage. That typically takes me somewhere between 35 and 40 minutes.

Food intake: I track everything with cronometer. Sitting at 1950 calories daily at the moment.

The situation:

I suspect I'm one of those people who responds slowly. Right now I'm taking 12mg of reta plus .75 of cag each week. For roughly a month my weight has been stuck near 280. I'm still able to eat, just less than before, but hunger is still there. Whenever I try cutting to 1500 calories, the HUNGER hits hard.

So what's the deal? Should I push the reta past the 12mg trial ceiling, or bump up the cag? Give it more time? Anyone else hit a wall right at the top of their dose?
That's some real progress, dude Down 17 lbs since February at 44, with lifting and power-walking in the mix, is no joke. You're nailing the tough stuff.

A stall lasting a month around 278-280 while on 12mg reta + 0.75 cag happens, particularly when you're doing strength work. Recomp could be going on (fat coming off, muscle staying or going up), and the scale won't reflect that. Are you also tracking waist size, pics, or how your clothes sit?

1950 cals with hunger still hanging around points to your body pushing back some (metabolic adaptation is a genuine thing with these meds). Going down to 1500 seems rough and hard to keep up. A few guys do better by Putting protein first (shoot for 180g+) Eating more volume (veggies, fiber) Throwing in refeed days now and then Rather than cutting cals aggressively.

A number of people on reta stall out right at the 12mg trial max. Things people bring up as options:

Give it time, Plateaus frequently give way after 4-8 weeks if you keep at it.

Small reta bump, Some move to 15mg+ off-label, though that goes past trial data and sides (GI, etc.) may increase. Only consider this if 12mg is sitting well with you.

Adjust cag, Raising the cagrilintide part may suppress appetite more for certain people in combos.

Can't say if you're a "slow responder" you've already shed weight and built habits. Keep using Cronometer, drink enough water, get good sleep, and keep stress in check. Walking plus weights is a killer long-term combo.

Stick with it. Plenty of guys get past these stalls and continue losing. What weight are you aiming for?
Curious how I can tell you're a permanent dark mode user in your browser?
Wow, JavaScript exposed it......? window.matchMedia('(prefers-color-scheme: dark)').matches
 
lastresort said:

A number of you treat calories in versus calories out as though it were some infallible formula for pinpointing where a person's habits went wrong...if that held true, not a single one of us would need GLP1 or any other weight loss medication

Getting older wreaks a cruel havoc on metabolism, and a steep calorie deficit may leave your basal metabolic expenditure permanently damaged, as a case study of "fattest fat loser" participants showed. It's completely plausible that OP's basal enetgy expenditure is simply that low, whether from age or some other cause. Maybe it's thyroid, maybe it's cushing, or maybe it's just a temporary metabolic shift brought on by the severe deficit.
Yet, well, GLP1s basically allow you to consume fewer calories with less effort, which makes dropping weight simpler. So... 🤔
 
Hawk_recon said:

lastresort said:

A number of you treat calories in versus calories out as though it were some infallible formula for pinpointing where a person's habits went wrong...if that held true, not a single one of us would need GLP1 or any other weight loss medication

Getting older wreaks a cruel havoc on metabolism, and a steep calorie deficit may leave your basal metabolic expenditure permanently damaged, as a case study of "fattest fat loser" participants showed. It's completely plausible that OP's basal enetgy expenditure is simply that low, whether from age or some other cause. Maybe it's thyroid, maybe it's cushing, or maybe it's just a temporary metabolic shift brought on by the severe deficit.
Yet, well, GLP1s basically allow you to consume fewer calories with less effort, which makes dropping weight simpler. So... 🤔
OP also mentioned that his weight loss isn't matching what most people here experience. And the general agreement in this community is that retatrutide's appetite suppression isn't as potent as the first two drugs. It really shouldn't be hard to accept that glp1 simply doesn't produce good results for certain groups of people.

I'm kind of in the same situation as OP, though in my case I have low testosterone plus hashimotos, two long-term conditions that seriously damage overall metabolism. No idea what OP is dealing with.
 
lastresort said:

Hawk_recon said:

lastresort said:

A number of you treat calories in versus calories out as though it were some infallible formula for pinpointing where a person's habits went wrong...if that held true, not a single one of us would need GLP1 or any other weight loss medication

Getting older wreaks a cruel havoc on metabolism, and a steep calorie deficit may leave your basal metabolic expenditure permanently damaged, as a case study of "fattest fat loser" participants showed. It's completely plausible that OP's basal enetgy expenditure is simply that low, whether from age or some other cause. Maybe it's thyroid, maybe it's cushing, or maybe it's just a temporary metabolic shift brought on by the severe deficit.
Yet, well, GLP1s basically allow you to consume fewer calories with less effort, which makes dropping weight simpler. So... 🤔
OP also mentioned that his weight loss isn't matching what most people here experience. And the general agreement in this community is that retatrutide's appetite suppression isn't as potent as the first two drugs. It really shouldn't be hard to accept that glp1 simply doesn't produce good results for certain groups of people.

I'm kind of in the same situation as OP, though in my case I have low testosterone plus hashimotos, two long-term conditions that seriously damage overall metabolism. No idea what OP is dealing with.
I'd wager a significant sum that cutting calories even more would result in additional weight loss. That said, your point about Reta providing weaker appetite suppression is likely spot on, which means it's simpler to consume extra calories without realizing it.
 
lastresort said:

A number of you treat calories in versus calories out as though it were some infallible formula for pinpointing where a person's habits went wrong...if that held true, not a single one of us would need GLP1 or any other weight loss medication

Getting older wreaks a cruel havoc on metabolism, and a steep calorie deficit may leave your basal metabolic expenditure permanently damaged, as a case study of "fattest fat loser" participants showed. It's completely plausible that OP's basal enetgy expenditure is simply that low, whether from age or some other cause. Maybe it's thyroid, maybe it's cushing, or maybe it's just a temporary metabolic shift brought on by the severe deficit.

This remains CICO... when CO drops due to some cause or justification, CI has to be modified if fat loss is the goal. Medical conditions may lower metabolic rate, increase appetite, or cause water retention, yet they are unable to override thermodynamics.

lastresort said:

Hawk_recon said:

lastresort said:

A number of you treat calories in versus calories out as though it were some infallible formula for pinpointing where a person's habits went wrong...if that held true, not a single one of us would need GLP1 or any other weight loss medication

Getting older wreaks a cruel havoc on metabolism, and a steep calorie deficit may leave your basal metabolic expenditure permanently damaged, as a case study of "fattest fat loser" participants showed. It's completely plausible that OP's basal enetgy expenditure is simply that low, whether from age or some other cause. Maybe it's thyroid, maybe it's cushing, or maybe it's just a temporary metabolic shift brought on by the severe deficit.
Yet, well, GLP1s basically allow you to consume fewer calories with less effort, which makes dropping weight simpler. So... 🤔
OP also mentioned that his weight loss isn't matching what most people here experience. And the general agreement in this community is that retatrutide's appetite suppression isn't as potent as the first two drugs. It really shouldn't be hard to accept that glp1 simply doesn't produce good results for certain groups of people.

I'm kind of in the same situation as OP, though in my case I have low testosterone plus hashimotos, two long-term conditions that seriously damage overall metabolism. No idea what OP is dealing with.

Hashimoto's and low T are surprisingly straightforward to address, for the majority of men.
 
That common claim about "age, metabolism, and so on" has been shown to be false. Research on a large scale came out not long ago demonstrating that metabolic rate really doesn't decline meaningfully as you get older until you've passed your 60s! So for a lot of people, that turns out to be nothing more than a convenient justification. https://health.osu.edu/wellness/aging/does-metabolism-really-slow-down-with-age

For a more thorough look, here's the study itself:


https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abe5017
 
Back
Top