Zydus set for Day 1 launch of semaglutide generic with reusable multi-dose pen
Zydus Lifesciences is set for a Day 1 launch of generic semaglutide in India with a novel 15 mg reusable multi‑dose pen under the brands Semaglyn, Mashema and Altreme. The GLP‑1 blockbuster generic, targeting type 2 diabetes and obesity, is timed with Novo Nordisk’s patent expiry on March 21 and...
pharma.economictimes.indiatimes.com
The semaglutide patent in India expires next month, and generic makers are prepared to ship pens from day 1. That pen seems pretty neat.
HOWEVER, because of US patent rules (extensions and adjustments), NN probably holds protection in this country through 2041, and as far as I can tell, a generic won’t show up in the US until the mid‑2040s. That’s roughly 10 years behind India.
BP is simply absurd. The maintenance drug I take runs around $1,100 a month for the brand version. That medication lost patent protection in early 2024. Insurance is still covering 90‑day brand prescriptions for me. I figured my first refill in 2024 would come as a generic.