Your Doctor’s Opinions?

Socram1578

Explorer
Joined
Jun 1, 2026
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Location
TX
For people who see their doctor regularly and get checkups, I’m curious: do you bring up your pep use with them, or do you keep it private? If you do tell them, what kinds of reactions have you gotten? I’m just trying to decide whether to talk to my Dr. Thanks for your thoughts. 👍🏻
 
Socram1578 said:

For people who see their doctor regularly and get checkups, I’m curious: do you bring up your pep use with them, or do you keep it private? If you do tell them, what kinds of reactions have you gotten? I’m just trying to decide whether to talk to my Dr. Thanks for your thoughts. 👍🏻
My primary care physician supplied my initial 2 months' worth of Tirz.. 😎 During a single visit, they handed me 4 compounded syringes containing B12 to take home...the cost was high, yet it provided a straightforward entry point for testing them and finding out whether they'd be effective for me...
 
Flash-BCR said:

Socram1578 said:

For people who see their doctor regularly and get checkups, I’m curious: do you bring up your pep use with them, or do you keep it private? If you do tell them, what kinds of reactions have you gotten? I’m just trying to decide whether to talk to my Dr. Thanks for your thoughts. 👍🏻
My primary care physician supplied my initial 2 months' worth of Tirz.. 😎 During a single visit, they handed me 4 compounded syringes containing B12 to take home...the cost was high, yet it provided a straightforward entry point for testing them and finding out whether they'd be effective for me...
That’s cool — when you spoke with him, did you also mention any other peps you were using?
 
Socram1578 said:

For people who see their doctor regularly and get checkups, I’m curious: do you bring up your pep use with them, or do you keep it private? If you do tell them, what kinds of reactions have you gotten? I’m just trying to decide whether to talk to my Dr. Thanks for your thoughts. 👍🏻
I haven't told him... he has no idea I use Tirzepatide. After my workplace changed insurance providers, my previous APNP had prescribed the Pen version for me, so should I ever decide to "bring it to light," that prescription serves as my defense. The labs I had done in May came back UBER good... honestly the best results I've ever had, so as long as I keep getting my blood-work done, I'm not overly concerned.

The other peps haven't come up either... (SS31, MOTS-C, BPC/TB).. but my current doctor actually knows the newer medical literature very well, so I believe I can trust him when the timing is right. I might be mistaken, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it 😅 😅
 
endlrls said:

Socram1578 said:

For people who see their doctor regularly and get checkups, I’m curious: do you bring up your pep use with them, or do you keep it private? If you do tell them, what kinds of reactions have you gotten? I’m just trying to decide whether to talk to my Dr. Thanks for your thoughts. 👍🏻
I haven't told him... he has no idea I use Tirzepatide. After my workplace changed insurance providers, my previous APNP had prescribed the Pen version for me, so should I ever decide to "bring it to light," that prescription serves as my defense. The labs I had done in May came back UBER good... honestly the best results I've ever had, so as long as I keep getting my blood-work done, I'm not overly concerned.

The other peps haven't come up either... (SS31, MOTS-C, BPC/TB).. but my current doctor actually knows the newer medical literature very well, so I believe I can trust him when the timing is right. I might be mistaken, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it 😅 😅
My guess is that most people will feel the same way — they won’t bring it up with their doctor. And I’m also curious whether mentioning it, with the doctor then noting it in your records, might have consequences for insurance down the road.
 
Totally with you on that... Yep, there are things I do that I'd rather not have documented.. I'd bet a lot of folks feel the same way...

The insurance angle is crazy too. My employer recently changed insurance carriers, and the previous one used to hit us with an annual charge whenever we skipped the hoops for a bio-metric screening.. it was literally $800 extra per year... Normally a company would reward/recognize someone for completing it.

I'm happy we moved to a different provider
 
My recent visit with my doctor went poorly enough that I've decided to let him go. When I brought up Tirz, he wouldn't even entertain a conversation about it. Not at all. He showed zero interest in hearing how much weight I'd dropped, whether I had any side effects, what I was eating or how I was working out — every time I raised it, he just pivoted to something else. Over and over. My assumption is that he's worried about liability, given that I'd mentioned getting it compounded (that was then; I've gone grey since), but even so .... you're my primary care doc and you don't want to talk about this transformation of your patient, right in front of your eyes??

From what I've read, his reaction was...abnormal at best. Lots of reports of very supportive, open docs. I'll start looking for one of those.
 
Socram1578 said:

Flash-BCR said:

Socram1578 said:

For people who see their doctor regularly and get checkups, I’m curious: do you bring up your pep use with them, or do you keep it private? If you do tell them, what kinds of reactions have you gotten? I’m just trying to decide whether to talk to my Dr. Thanks for your thoughts. 👍🏻
My primary care physician supplied my initial 2 months' worth of Tirz.. 😎 During a single visit, they handed me 4 compounded syringes containing B12 to take home...the cost was high, yet it provided a straightforward entry point for testing them and finding out whether they'd be effective for me...
That’s cool — when you spoke with him, did you also mention any other peps you were using?
Nope...tirz is what got me into peptides 😎 Right now my stack is just tirz, BPC and KPV, along with a Selank spray...That said, I've stocked up on all the typical peptide candidates...Still, I've never had an issue being upfront with doctors.
 
No. I kept quiet about it too when I was into health spa treatments. Since my bloodwork keeps coming back normal — and I get it checked a few times a year on my own anyway — I just don't feel the need to mention it.
 
FunkyOtter said:

No. I kept quiet about it too when I was into health spa treatments. Since my bloodwork keeps coming back normal — and I get it checked a few times a year on my own anyway — I just don't feel the need to mention it.
That's my perspective on it too.. if the results of my blood work turned out to be NOT GOOD, then I'd go: "Hey Doc, time for a chat.. and when I say chat, I mean the two of us having an honest conversation regarding my "Lab Rat" and what he's taking...." 😅 😅 🐀🐀
 
spanky2026 said:

My recent visit with my doctor went poorly enough that I've decided to let him go. When I brought up Tirz, he wouldn't even entertain a conversation about it. Not at all. He showed zero interest in hearing how much weight I'd dropped, whether I had any side effects, what I was eating or how I was working out — every time I raised it, he just pivoted to something else. Over and over. My assumption is that he's worried about liability, given that I'd mentioned getting it compounded (that was then; I've gone grey since), but even so .... you're my primary care doc and you don't want to talk about this transformation of your patient, right in front of your eyes??

From what I've read, his reaction was...abnormal at best. Lots of reports of very supportive, open docs. I'll start looking for one of those.
Honestly, the reactions are all over the place... one minute it's "That's awesome, good for you!" and the next it's "Wait, WHAT?? Let's talk about something else..." (as the doctor glances at his malpractice coverage) lol
 
endlrls said:

Totally with you on that... Yep, there are things I do that I'd rather not have documented.. I'd bet a lot of folks feel the same way...

The insurance angle is crazy too. My employer recently changed insurance carriers, and the previous one used to hit us with an annual charge whenever we skipped the hoops for a bio-metric screening.. it was literally $800 extra per year... Normally a company would reward/recognize someone for completing it.

I'm happy we moved to a different provider

I’m with you 100%. Having CN peptides show up in my medical records is something I’d rather avoid. At this point I figure the danger is small, yet I can’t rule out that the information might someday be turned against me—say, when life insurance gets decided, or when eligibility for coverage is assessed.

That said, as @endlrls points out, there’s a real-world problem: your clinicians “should” be aware that you’re using peptides. The workaround I’ve landed on so far is to list tirzepatide in my medical history. Consequently, whenever I see the various doctors I have—and there are a few—I let them know I’m taking tirzepatide, since it can matter for things like anethesia, other Rx contra-indications, etc.

My pcp is in the loop, except she believes my nutritionist is the one supplying the meds 😂. To “cover” my tracks, I have a telemedicine company send a Lilly Direct Rx every month that I never fill. Or almost never fill. I was curious about the new KwikPen so I got one of those.
 
Grogu said:

endlrls said:

Totally with you on that... Yep, there are things I do that I'd rather not have documented.. I'd bet a lot of folks feel the same way...

The insurance angle is crazy too. My employer recently changed insurance carriers, and the previous one used to hit us with an annual charge whenever we skipped the hoops for a bio-metric screening.. it was literally $800 extra per year... Normally a company would reward/recognize someone for completing it.

I'm happy we moved to a different provider

I’m with you 100%. Having CN peptides show up in my medical records is something I’d rather avoid. At this point I figure the danger is small, yet I can’t rule out that the information might someday be turned against me—say, when life insurance gets decided, or when eligibility for coverage is assessed.

That said, as @endlrls points out, there’s a real-world problem: your clinicians “should” be aware that you’re using peptides. The workaround I’ve landed on so far is to list tirzepatide in my medical history. Consequently, whenever I see the various doctors I have—and there are a few—I let them know I’m taking tirzepatide, since it can matter for things like anethesia, other Rx contra-indications, etc.

My pcp is in the loop, except she believes my nutritionist is the one supplying the meds 😂. To “cover” my tracks, I have a telemedicine company send a Lilly Direct Rx every month that I never fill. Or almost never fill. I was curious about the new KwikPen so I got one of those.
Yeah, I really ought to have held onto that prescription from my previous doctor, but I just went "welp, I'm switched GP's now.. oh well..." At some point I'll come clean with my current GP.. I swear! (maybe not)
 
I keep a printed document covering my full protocol — bloodwork results, every stack, doses, how drugs interact, blood pressure readings, overall patterns, basically all the data a physician would ask for. My primary care physician happens to be extremely relaxed, honestly the most easygoing guy around. When my visit wraps up, he'll ask which “Special sports supplements” I'm on at the moment, I hand over the report, he reviews it, sometimes points out a couple of items to keep an eye on, but for the most part it's a thumbs up. He's definitely an unusual case though — prior to becoming a doctor he worked as a bodybuilder and a physical therapist, so he understands where I'm coming from. Nothing gets entered into my medical records 😃.
 
endlrls said:

Totally with you on that... Yep, there are things I do that I'd rather not have documented.. I'd bet a lot of folks feel the same way...

The insurance angle is crazy too. My employer recently changed insurance carriers, and the previous one used to hit us with an annual charge whenever we skipped the hoops for a bio-metric screening.. it was literally $800 extra per year... Normally a company would reward/recognize someone for completing it.

I'm happy we moved to a different provider
That’s the way I see it too. When I asked what he thought about Reta, he launched into a whole thing about experimental medications and adverse reactions. I just dropped it after that. My thinking is: as long as my labs come back 💯, there’s no reason to mention it.
 
My physician accepts medicaid and medicare funds, so he’s effectively employed by the government. That’s why I deal with him the way I’d deal with a police officer.

He also gets paid by my insurance company rather than by me directly, which makes him an employee of the insurer. Anything he writes down or reports about my conduct could put my coverage at risk later on, so I handle him like I would handle a snitch.

How does that play out? At my yearly physical, I hand over the private blood labs I paid for that year so he can upload them—but only if the results contain nothing that could be used against me. (For instance, my 9.5 ng/mL GH blood test never ended up in his chart.) I’ve been seeing this same doctor for several years, and by now he doesn’t bother asking why I do it. I don’t disclose my marijuana use, and I don’t talk about my hobbies. These days they’re trained to ask whether patients keep firearms at home. (What even is that? Obviously I don’t have a firearm at home—I brought it with me 🙄)

I answer only when he asks something, and I tell the truth only when I believe it works in my favor. Otherwise I say whatever he expects to hear. On rare occasions I’ve had conditions that genuinely needed a doctor—an infection that called for antibiotics, for example, and years ago I broke my foot and went for xrays. In those situations, getting help for something that truly requires help is the smartest play.

Doctors are a tool, not a teammate. They get used for terrible things all the time (APA people at gitmo, circumcision, you get the picture). I wish things weren’t this way, but I play to win, and this is the system I was handed.

Keep in mind that under the law, only ONE person is obligated to keep your secrets, and that’s your lawyer. Never lie to your lawyer—they’re your only friend. Attorney - client privilege is so strong that it makes doctor - patient confidentiality look like toilet paper.

One final point: if you’re uncertain about your health, it may still be best to depend on your doctor, just understand the risks. The only reason I operate this way is that I’m confident in my ability to manage my own health. If that ever changes, I’ll probably be more open with them.
 
spanky2026 said:

My recent visit with my doctor went poorly enough that I've decided to let him go. When I brought up Tirz, he wouldn't even entertain a conversation about it. Not at all. He showed zero interest in hearing how much weight I'd dropped, whether I had any side effects, what I was eating or how I was working out — every time I raised it, he just pivoted to something else. Over and over. My assumption is that he's worried about liability, given that I'd mentioned getting it compounded (that was then; I've gone grey since), but even so .... you're my primary care doc and you don't want to talk about this transformation of your patient, right in front of your eyes??

From what I've read, his reaction was...abnormal at best. Lots of reports of very supportive, open docs. I'll start looking for one of those.
That reply from your doctor is really strange. It could be that he thought a deeper conversation would expose him to liability, or maybe he preferred to look into it more before giving an opinion...? Either way, brushing off the chance to hear about what you've been through strikes me as pretty careless.
 
I'm in the UK, so it's the NHS and insurance isn't a factor.

When it comes up, I simply say mounjaro. That's as far as they go with questions. Since care from doctors here isn't paid for directly, the standard isn't great—they're focused on getting you out the door fast, so I keep it to myself. It's not that I haven't tried; they just do. not. care.

I did bring up reta because of my tachycardia—same story, zero interest from them lol
 
Reading through these replies as someone in Canada is quite eye-opening. When it comes to primary care, I'm lucky enough to have a family physician — something plenty of Canadians lack; the rest of us typically deal with a roster of doctors tied to one clinic. Ours was assigned not long ago through the provincial health system. I've got my initial visit with her on the calendar, and the main reason I booked it was because I've started using peptides lately. What I'm after is a proper look at where my health stands now that peptides are in the picture, plus any tweaks needed to the medications I'm already on. I'm not naive — I figure she'll cluck her tongue over the peptide thing, which is fair enough for a doctor who's doing her job properly, and then she'll get past it and treat me based on reality. One thing I don't have to worry about here: in Canada, the provincial system can't come back later and refuse me care or coverage.
 
Since I’m a type 2 diabetic, I likely won’t bring up my grey triz use on my own unless he directly asks what I’ve been doing. Back when I got diagnosed, I asked whether I’d be a good candidate, and he put me on Ozempic. A few months in, after I told him I honestly couldn’t feel anything from it, he still wouldn’t raise the dose. Around then, my employer changed insurance, and the new plan wouldn’t cover it unless you jumped through tons of hoops.

I offered to pay whatever it cost, I just wanted a higher dose, and he said no. He even claimed I didn’t need it and that I should try to loose weight the hard way. (this from a dr who is type 2 himself and weighs a minimum of 350lbs).

I moved to Telehealth, and that’s where I got triz. It worked wonders, but they recently cut me off once they learned I was on insulin ( they must be able to see what I have been prescribed).

When it started looking like big pharmacy and FDA were making GLP1s harder to get without draining your bank account, I had already begun stocking up on grey.

I’ve got a physical scheduled for next week, so we will see what happens.
 
Back
Top