Wrecked my legs on a hike.

jason370

Explorer
Joined
Apr 2, 2026
Messages
123
Reaction score
0
Location
NY
Two days back I went up and then back down Killington Mountain, and the descent absolutely hammered my legs. On top of that, I had a 50 lb pack on me. Six hours of that kind of abuse left my legs giving out. I could hardly make it out under my own strength, and at this point my thighs are hurting with this intense soreness. Taking even 1 step is a struggle. Going down any slope or staircase is completely out of the question. I realize it'll be a few more days before things really start getting better.

Are there any peptides you'd suggest I use to help with this issue? Is it only Wolverine, BPC, or are there other options that could be useful for me? Just so you know, I have NAND, DECA, TREN sitting around but I've never used them. I simply possess them. I don't even know how to use them at this point or whether I ever will.
 
jason370 said:

Two days back I went up and then back down Killington Mountain, and the descent absolutely hammered my legs. On top of that, I had a 50 lb pack on me. Six hours of that kind of abuse left my legs giving out. I could hardly make it out under my own strength, and at this point my thighs are hurting with this intense soreness. Taking even 1 step is a struggle. Going down any slope or staircase is completely out of the question. I realize it'll be a few more days before things really start getting better.

Are there any peptides you'd suggest I use to help with this issue? Is it only Wolverine, BPC, or are there other options that could be useful for me? Just so you know, I have NAND, DECA, TREN sitting around but I've never used them. I simply possess them. I don't even know how to use them at this point or whether I ever will.
Bpc + Tb are going to be a big help

far more than TREN ...

though nothing magic exists for brutal soreness after hauling a 50lb pack on a hike 😉
 
jason370 said:

Two days back I went up and then back down Killington Mountain, and the descent absolutely hammered my legs. On top of that, I had a 50 lb pack on me. Six hours of that kind of abuse left my legs giving out. I could hardly make it out under my own strength, and at this point my thighs are hurting with this intense soreness. Taking even 1 step is a struggle. Going down any slope or staircase is completely out of the question. I realize it'll be a few more days before things really start getting better.

Are there any peptides you'd suggest I use to help with this issue? Is it only Wolverine, BPC, or are there other options that could be useful for me? Just so you know, I have NAND, DECA, TREN sitting around but I've never used them. I simply possess them. I don't even know how to use them at this point or whether I ever will.
50 lb on your back? Now I'm curious 😎
 
During a hike, I've found that keeping hydration as high as I can really pays off. My usual plan is to bring and consume somewhere around 3-4 litres each day. It might not be the wildest setup you're picturing, but protein water along with bovine peptides get me through the hike and help me bounce back overnight. While I'm on the trail, I push protein really hard, drink a lot of water, and take a solid dose of psyllium husk 3 times daily. I suppose the 6mg of reta is what keeps my diet centered on protein even when the hiking gets tough.
 
A 50lb pack is on the heavy side, but when it's chilly and you're hauling several days' worth of water, the weight climbs. That's true even with an ultra lite kit.
 
lol, you just happen to have Deca and Tren on hand? That's a bit odd. Those aren't the sort of items you'd normally find sitting in a medicine cabinet.

If you went out and got those, I'd figure you already understand the fundamentals. You "over-trained"

1. Protein until you throw up. 1g for every 1lb of body weight.

2. Testosterone & PEDS.

3. Easy active recovery walking.

4. Rest & sleep. Then sleep some more.

From what I've heard, peptides have about the same effect level as creatine. So if food, exercise, rest, and healthy T levels aren't dialed in, then you're skipping the biggest drivers behind change and muscle building.
 
jason370 said:

Two days back I went up and then back down Killington Mountain, and the descent absolutely hammered my legs. On top of that, I had a 50 lb pack on me. Six hours of that kind of abuse left my legs giving out. I could hardly make it out under my own strength, and at this point my thighs are hurting with this intense soreness. Taking even 1 step is a struggle. Going down any slope or staircase is completely out of the question. I realize it'll be a few more days before things really start getting better.

Are there any peptides you'd suggest I use to help with this issue? Is it only Wolverine, BPC, or are there other options that could be useful for me? Just so you know, I have NAND, DECA, TREN sitting around but I've never used them. I simply possess them. I don't even know how to use them at this point or whether I ever will.

Jumping on a deca durabolin plus trenbolone cycle just because a hike left your legs aching seems like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut 😀

Actual guidance: for a day or two after your hike, push your carbs up, roughly 15%. Simply getting enough carbs in will speed your recovery far more than any peptide would. Your protein doesn't need tweaking as long as it's already sufficient — carbs are the real lever here, and they'll matter 100x more than tossing a peptide into your stack

That comes from an athlete who's been through it.
 
, you just happen to have Deca and Tren on hand? That's a bit odd. Those aren't the kind of thing you'd normally find sitting in a medicine cabinet.

Around here, though, that's not exactly rare 😅🤣😂
 
jason370 said:

Two days back I went up and then back down Killington Mountain, and the descent absolutely hammered my legs. On top of that, I had a 50 lb pack on me. Six hours of that kind of abuse left my legs giving out. I could hardly make it out under my own strength, and at this point my thighs are hurting with this intense soreness. Taking even 1 step is a struggle. Going down any slope or staircase is completely out of the question. I realize it'll be a few more days before things really start getting better.

Are there any peptides you'd suggest I use to help with this issue? Is it only Wolverine, BPC, or are there other options that could be useful for me? Just so you know, I have NAND, DECA, TREN sitting around but I've never used them. I simply possess them. I don't even know how to use them at this point or whether I ever will.
I've logged multiple weeks on mountain paths hauling packs of 50lbs or more. When it comes to bouncing back at the end of a trail day, my go-to is to get camp set up, drink plenty of fluids, take a plunge in a cold creek or lake, and then do a gentle 1-2 mile stroll without carrying anything—that combo really speeds up my on-trail recovery. Of course, it's not always doable depending on the terrain, water access, and whether you've got the mental and physical energy for that extra walk. Still, for me, the final day of any outing—whether it's a 2 day trek or a 15 day one—tends to be the toughest to come back from. What I've discovered is that after rehydrating and taking a hot/cold/hot shower, I park myself on a stationary bike, zone out (no traffic or weather to worry about), and just pedal lightly at 30-50% of my usual pace for an hour, which does wonders for my recovery. Keep sipping water before, throughout, and after that bike session. Then a cool shower (as cool as I can stand) gets me ready for a good dinner or a late-night meal. Before bed, it's a hot shower.

Being tall, going downhill is always harder on me than going up. That's another reason the last day often feels the most brutal—I'm usually heading down. I've done this enough times to know this is my personal recovery routine. I typically kick off BPC/TB that same night for a 6-8 week run, though it's no instant solution. I also take acetaminophen for 2 days to help with the soreness while I rest and keep an eye out for any possible injuries.

Catch you on the trails! Happy hiking.
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

, you just happen to have Deca and Tren on hand? That's a bit odd. Those aren't the kind of thing you'd normally find sitting in a medicine cabinet.

Around here, though, that's not exactly rare 😅🤣😂
This community is great.
 
MTSpace said:

jason370 said:

Two days back I went up and then back down Killington Mountain, and the descent absolutely hammered my legs. On top of that, I had a 50 lb pack on me. Six hours of that kind of abuse left my legs giving out. I could hardly make it out under my own strength, and at this point my thighs are hurting with this intense soreness. Taking even 1 step is a struggle. Going down any slope or staircase is completely out of the question. I realize it'll be a few more days before things really start getting better.

Are there any peptides you'd suggest I use to help with this issue? Is it only Wolverine, BPC, or are there other options that could be useful for me? Just so you know, I have NAND, DECA, TREN sitting around but I've never used them. I simply possess them. I don't even know how to use them at this point or whether I ever will.
I've logged multiple weeks on mountain paths hauling packs of 50lbs or more. When it comes to bouncing back at the end of a trail day, my go-to is to get camp set up, drink plenty of fluids, take a plunge in a cold creek or lake, and then do a gentle 1-2 mile stroll without carrying anything—that combo really speeds up my on-trail recovery. Of course, it's not always doable depending on the terrain, water access, and whether you've got the mental and physical energy for that extra walk. Still, for me, the final day of any outing—whether it's a 2 day trek or a 15 day one—tends to be the toughest to come back from. What I've discovered is that after rehydrating and taking a hot/cold/hot shower, I park myself on a stationary bike, zone out (no traffic or weather to worry about), and just pedal lightly at 30-50% of my usual pace for an hour, which does wonders for my recovery. Keep sipping water before, throughout, and after that bike session. Then a cool shower (as cool as I can stand) gets me ready for a good dinner or a late-night meal. Before bed, it's a hot shower.

Being tall, going downhill is always harder on me than going up. That's another reason the last day often feels the most brutal—I'm usually heading down. I've done this enough times to know this is my personal recovery routine. I typically kick off BPC/TB that same night for a 6-8 week run, though it's no instant solution. I also take acetaminophen for 2 days to help with the soreness while I rest and keep an eye out for any possible injuries.

Catch you on the trails! Happy hiking.
When I was younger, hiking was mostly a daytime activity for me. To get ready for bigger trips, I trained close to home; I did multiple Grand Canyon R2R2R crossings, marathons in high country, and 1 50k that climbed 6,000ft...About 8-9 years back, I gave backpacking a try because I had never done it, and I ended up covering 1,000 miles on the Appalachian Trail....All of what you wrote makes sense. Fluids, electrolytes, carbs (before, during and after). With that routine, my legs rarely got sore...

What stood out to me in the OP was the 50lb+ pack. I really dislike carrying pack weight.Pack weight wears me down.. On the AT, my base weight (pack, tent, sleeping bag, pad, cooking kit with butane, 'town clothes', sleeping clothes, Leukotape, personal items) came to 12lbs...with 2liters of water and 5-6 days of food, it was around 20lbs...

For me, part of losing weight means getting fit again so I can at least return to short day hikes... 👍 😎
 
jason370 said:

Two days back I went up and then back down Killington Mountain, and the descent absolutely hammered my legs. On top of that, I had a 50 lb pack on me. Six hours of that kind of abuse left my legs giving out. I could hardly make it out under my own strength, and at this point my thighs are hurting with this intense soreness. Taking even 1 step is a struggle. Going down any slope or staircase is completely out of the question. I realize it'll be a few more days before things really start getting better.

Are there any peptides you'd suggest I use to help with this issue? Is it only Wolverine, BPC, or are there other options that could be useful for me? Just so you know, I have NAND, DECA, TREN sitting around but I've never used them. I simply possess them. I don't even know how to use them at this point or whether I ever will.

It's time to get going, friend. Shoot some tren right into those quads and you'll bounce back fast. Obviously this is the smartest move for your situation.
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

, you just happen to have Deca and Tren on hand? That's a bit odd. Those aren't the kind of thing you'd normally find sitting in a medicine cabinet.

Around here, though, that's not exactly rare 😅🤣😂

Flash-BCR said:

jason370 said:

Two days back I went up and then back down Killington Mountain, and the descent absolutely hammered my legs. On top of that, I had a 50 lb pack on me. Six hours of that kind of abuse left my legs giving out. I could hardly make it out under my own strength, and at this point my thighs are hurting with this intense soreness. Taking even 1 step is a struggle. Going down any slope or staircase is completely out of the question. I realize it'll be a few more days before things really start getting better.

Are there any peptides you'd suggest I use to help with this issue? Is it only Wolverine, BPC, or are there other options that could be useful for me? Just so you know, I have NAND, DECA, TREN sitting around but I've never used them. I simply possess them. I don't even know how to use them at this point or whether I ever will.
50 lb on your back? Now I'm curious 😎
My daughter and I went to TAC (Total Archery Challenge); they've got 3-D targets (fun animal shapes) placed across the mountain, plus several courses where you walk and shoot. For bowhunting geeks it's a huge hit, since once the season ends they've got nothing left to aim at but they still crave something to shoot - this event absolutely nails it for that crowd. So... my daughter is ten, and May weather in VT on a mountain can swing between 75 and sunny to 30 with freezing rain or snow, sometimes shifting throughout the day. I packed for both of us, and on top of our bows I was hauling a big water bladder, food, emergency supplies, a gun, binos, range finders, arrows and more. Could have been 40 lbs, could have been 50, all I know is it was heavy, though I didn't feel it much during the first few hours. On top of that, the course turned out far larger and longer than I'd pictured. I figured 2-3 hours, starting at the base, partway up, partway down.

Not even close. We rode a lift halfway up, then walked down to the bottom to catch another lift that carried us 3/4 of the way up, then descended to the next lift that brought us to the summit. So I did a fair amount of downhill right at the start (which didn't seem like a big deal since I was fresh and feeling good). After that I had to come down the whole mountain from the top with all that weight on me. Without the pack, I'd have had zero problems. Next time my daughter gets to carry 15 lbs. She handled it easily, bouncing around like a little mountain goat. We both had a great time, I'm just stuck with this minor leg problem for a few days.




44f0ecf5d38ab79d5b18317344c328e902cd42ade3838894f382fc05a582b12e.webp
 
Justatechdude said:

lol, you just happen to have Deca and Tren on hand? That's a bit odd. Those aren't the sort of items you'd normally find sitting in a medicine cabinet.

If you went out and got those, I'd figure you already understand the fundamentals. You "over-trained"

1. Protein until you throw up. 1g for every 1lb of body weight.

2. Testosterone & PEDS.

3. Easy active recovery walking.

4. Rest & sleep. Then sleep some more.

From what I've heard, peptides have about the same effect level as creatine. So if food, exercise, rest, and healthy T levels aren't dialed in, then you're skipping the biggest drivers behind change and muscle building.

Picked up the oils impulsively. Came across a vendor, thought it was inexpensive, so I went for it. No prior experience with them, and there's a good chance I never touch them. Truth is, I'm not informed enough about them or how to use them properly at this point. I'd have to learn first, and my lack of even basic effort shows how little motivation I've had.
 
jason370 said:

Justatechdude said:

lol, you just happen to have Deca and Tren on hand? That's a bit odd. Those aren't the sort of items you'd normally find sitting in a medicine cabinet.

If you went out and got those, I'd figure you already understand the fundamentals. You "over-trained"

1. Protein until you throw up. 1g for every 1lb of body weight.

2. Testosterone & PEDS.

3. Easy active recovery walking.

4. Rest & sleep. Then sleep some more.

From what I've heard, peptides have about the same effect level as creatine. So if food, exercise, rest, and healthy T levels aren't dialed in, then you're skipping the biggest drivers behind change and muscle building.

Picked up the oils impulsively. Came across a vendor, thought it was inexpensive, so I went for it. No prior experience with them, and there's a good chance I never touch them. Truth is, I'm not informed enough about them or how to use them properly at this point. I'd have to learn first, and my lack of even basic effort shows how little motivation I've had.
I think I'm in much the same boat. If they were sitting right there in front of me, I'd likely go ahead and purchase them. That said, I still haven't taken the time to look into them properly. Ecspecially when I compare it to how many hours I've put into reading up on peptides. Up to this point, GLP1s are the only thing I've actually bought. With those, though, it's only a question of when. My guess is I'll start with BPC, then go with either Tesa or the CJc/Ipa blend.
 
jason370 said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

, you just happen to have Deca and Tren on hand? That's a bit odd. Those aren't the kind of thing you'd normally find sitting in a medicine cabinet.

Around here, though, that's not exactly rare 😅🤣😂

Flash-BCR said:

jason370 said:

Two days back I went up and then back down Killington Mountain, and the descent absolutely hammered my legs. On top of that, I had a 50 lb pack on me. Six hours of that kind of abuse left my legs giving out. I could hardly make it out under my own strength, and at this point my thighs are hurting with this intense soreness. Taking even 1 step is a struggle. Going down any slope or staircase is completely out of the question. I realize it'll be a few more days before things really start getting better.

Are there any peptides you'd suggest I use to help with this issue? Is it only Wolverine, BPC, or are there other options that could be useful for me? Just so you know, I have NAND, DECA, TREN sitting around but I've never used them. I simply possess them. I don't even know how to use them at this point or whether I ever will.
50 lb on your back? Now I'm curious 😎
My daughter and I went to TAC (Total Archery Challenge); they've got 3-D targets (fun animal shapes) placed across the mountain, plus several courses where you walk and shoot. For bowhunting geeks it's a huge hit, since once the season ends they've got nothing left to aim at but they still crave something to shoot - this event absolutely nails it for that crowd. So... my daughter is ten, and May weather in VT on a mountain can swing between 75 and sunny to 30 with freezing rain or snow, sometimes shifting throughout the day. I packed for both of us, and on top of our bows I was hauling a big water bladder, food, emergency supplies, a gun, binos, range finders, arrows and more. Could have been 40 lbs, could have been 50, all I know is it was heavy, though I didn't feel it much during the first few hours. On top of that, the course turned out far larger and longer than I'd pictured. I figured 2-3 hours, starting at the base, partway up, partway down.

Not even close. We rode a lift halfway up, then walked down to the bottom to catch another lift that carried us 3/4 of the way up, then descended to the next lift that brought us to the summit. So I did a fair amount of downhill right at the start (which didn't seem like a big deal since I was fresh and feeling good). After that I had to come down the whole mountain from the top with all that weight on me. Without the pack, I'd have had zero problems. Next time my daughter gets to carry 15 lbs. She handled it easily, bouncing around like a little mountain goat. We both had a great time, I'm just stuck with this minor leg problem for a few days.




View attachment 11599
Now it clicks for me...Right, if I were heading out on a long trek with one of my kids, I'd be hauling a heavy pack to guarantee that we/she have everything required...That shooting course sounds like a blast! Great to hear you had such a good trip with your daughter!... 👍 🙂
 
Flash-BCR said:

jason370 said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

, you just happen to have Deca and Tren on hand? That's a bit odd. Those aren't the kind of thing you'd normally find sitting in a medicine cabinet.

Around here, though, that's not exactly rare 😅🤣😂

Flash-BCR said:

jason370 said:

Two days back I went up and then back down Killington Mountain, and the descent absolutely hammered my legs. On top of that, I had a 50 lb pack on me. Six hours of that kind of abuse left my legs giving out. I could hardly make it out under my own strength, and at this point my thighs are hurting with this intense soreness. Taking even 1 step is a struggle. Going down any slope or staircase is completely out of the question. I realize it'll be a few more days before things really start getting better.

Are there any peptides you'd suggest I use to help with this issue? Is it only Wolverine, BPC, or are there other options that could be useful for me? Just so you know, I have NAND, DECA, TREN sitting around but I've never used them. I simply possess them. I don't even know how to use them at this point or whether I ever will.
50 lb on your back? Now I'm curious 😎
My daughter and I went to TAC (Total Archery Challenge); they've got 3-D targets (fun animal shapes) placed across the mountain, plus several courses where you walk and shoot. For bowhunting geeks it's a huge hit, since once the season ends they've got nothing left to aim at but they still crave something to shoot - this event absolutely nails it for that crowd. So... my daughter is ten, and May weather in VT on a mountain can swing between 75 and sunny to 30 with freezing rain or snow, sometimes shifting throughout the day. I packed for both of us, and on top of our bows I was hauling a big water bladder, food, emergency supplies, a gun, binos, range finders, arrows and more. Could have been 40 lbs, could have been 50, all I know is it was heavy, though I didn't feel it much during the first few hours. On top of that, the course turned out far larger and longer than I'd pictured. I figured 2-3 hours, starting at the base, partway up, partway down.

Not even close. We rode a lift halfway up, then walked down to the bottom to catch another lift that carried us 3/4 of the way up, then descended to the next lift that brought us to the summit. So I did a fair amount of downhill right at the start (which didn't seem like a big deal since I was fresh and feeling good). After that I had to come down the whole mountain from the top with all that weight on me. Without the pack, I'd have had zero problems. Next time my daughter gets to carry 15 lbs. She handled it easily, bouncing around like a little mountain goat. We both had a great time, I'm just stuck with this minor leg problem for a few days.




View attachment 11599
Now it clicks for me...Right, if I were heading out on a long trek with one of my kids, I'd be hauling a heavy pack to guarantee that we/she have everything required...That shooting course sounds like a blast! Great to hear you had such a good trip with your daughter!... 👍 🙂
while we were driving back today, she told me it was the best time she's ever had, and she wasn't sure whether she'd pick that or disney. without a doubt, it was the top father-child experience we've shared.
 
Flash-BCR said:

MTSpace said:

jason370 said:

Two days back I went up and then back down Killington Mountain, and the descent absolutely hammered my legs. On top of that, I had a 50 lb pack on me. Six hours of that kind of abuse left my legs giving out. I could hardly make it out under my own strength, and at this point my thighs are hurting with this intense soreness. Taking even 1 step is a struggle. Going down any slope or staircase is completely out of the question. I realize it'll be a few more days before things really start getting better.

Are there any peptides you'd suggest I use to help with this issue? Is it only Wolverine, BPC, or are there other options that could be useful for me? Just so you know, I have NAND, DECA, TREN sitting around but I've never used them. I simply possess them. I don't even know how to use them at this point or whether I ever will.
I've logged multiple weeks on mountain paths hauling packs of 50lbs or more. When it comes to bouncing back at the end of a trail day, my go-to is to get camp set up, drink plenty of fluids, take a plunge in a cold creek or lake, and then do a gentle 1-2 mile stroll without carrying anything—that combo really speeds up my on-trail recovery. Of course, it's not always doable depending on the terrain, water access, and whether you've got the mental and physical energy for that extra walk. Still, for me, the final day of any outing—whether it's a 2 day trek or a 15 day one—tends to be the toughest to come back from. What I've discovered is that after rehydrating and taking a hot/cold/hot shower, I park myself on a stationary bike, zone out (no traffic or weather to worry about), and just pedal lightly at 30-50% of my usual pace for an hour, which does wonders for my recovery. Keep sipping water before, throughout, and after that bike session. Then a cool shower (as cool as I can stand) gets me ready for a good dinner or a late-night meal. Before bed, it's a hot shower.

Being tall, going downhill is always harder on me than going up. That's another reason the last day often feels the most brutal—I'm usually heading down. I've done this enough times to know this is my personal recovery routine. I typically kick off BPC/TB that same night for a 6-8 week run, though it's no instant solution. I also take acetaminophen for 2 days to help with the soreness while I rest and keep an eye out for any possible injuries.

Catch you on the trails! Happy hiking.
When I was younger, hiking was mostly a daytime activity for me. To get ready for bigger trips, I trained close to home; I did multiple Grand Canyon R2R2R crossings, marathons in high country, and 1 50k that climbed 6,000ft...About 8-9 years back, I gave backpacking a try because I had never done it, and I ended up covering 1,000 miles on the Appalachian Trail....All of what you wrote makes sense. Fluids, electrolytes, carbs (before, during and after). With that routine, my legs rarely got sore...

What stood out to me in the OP was the 50lb+ pack. I really dislike carrying pack weight.Pack weight wears me down.. On the AT, my base weight (pack, tent, sleeping bag, pad, cooking kit with butane, 'town clothes', sleeping clothes, Leukotape, personal items) came to 12lbs...with 2liters of water and 5-6 days of food, it was around 20lbs...

For me, part of losing weight means getting fit again so I can at least return to short day hikes... 👍 😎
As the years go by, I've shifted toward more day hikes. Honestly, I'm loving it—last year I even did rim2rim. My problem with backpacking comes down to comfort: I want my oversized tents, sleeping pads, sleeping airbags (yep, I use both at once), sleeping bags, chair, stove, bear canisters (when needed), @ every one of my amenities. I've put in some 20 plus mile days across Teton, Rockies, glacier, Yellowstone, and elsewhere, but I'm sure my descents would've been easier on my legs if I hadn't carried so much.

Keep it up. I'm sure you've got plenty of great stories and memories to look back on.
 
MTSpace said:

Flash-BCR said:

MTSpace said:

jason370 said:

Two days back I went up and then back down Killington Mountain, and the descent absolutely hammered my legs. On top of that, I had a 50 lb pack on me. Six hours of that kind of abuse left my legs giving out. I could hardly make it out under my own strength, and at this point my thighs are hurting with this intense soreness. Taking even 1 step is a struggle. Going down any slope or staircase is completely out of the question. I realize it'll be a few more days before things really start getting better.

Are there any peptides you'd suggest I use to help with this issue? Is it only Wolverine, BPC, or are there other options that could be useful for me? Just so you know, I have NAND, DECA, TREN sitting around but I've never used them. I simply possess them. I don't even know how to use them at this point or whether I ever will.
I've logged multiple weeks on mountain paths hauling packs of 50lbs or more. When it comes to bouncing back at the end of a trail day, my go-to is to get camp set up, drink plenty of fluids, take a plunge in a cold creek or lake, and then do a gentle 1-2 mile stroll without carrying anything—that combo really speeds up my on-trail recovery. Of course, it's not always doable depending on the terrain, water access, and whether you've got the mental and physical energy for that extra walk. Still, for me, the final day of any outing—whether it's a 2 day trek or a 15 day one—tends to be the toughest to come back from. What I've discovered is that after rehydrating and taking a hot/cold/hot shower, I park myself on a stationary bike, zone out (no traffic or weather to worry about), and just pedal lightly at 30-50% of my usual pace for an hour, which does wonders for my recovery. Keep sipping water before, throughout, and after that bike session. Then a cool shower (as cool as I can stand) gets me ready for a good dinner or a late-night meal. Before bed, it's a hot shower.

Being tall, going downhill is always harder on me than going up. That's another reason the last day often feels the most brutal—I'm usually heading down. I've done this enough times to know this is my personal recovery routine. I typically kick off BPC/TB that same night for a 6-8 week run, though it's no instant solution. I also take acetaminophen for 2 days to help with the soreness while I rest and keep an eye out for any possible injuries.

Catch you on the trails! Happy hiking.
When I was younger, hiking was mostly a daytime activity for me. To get ready for bigger trips, I trained close to home; I did multiple Grand Canyon R2R2R crossings, marathons in high country, and 1 50k that climbed 6,000ft...About 8-9 years back, I gave backpacking a try because I had never done it, and I ended up covering 1,000 miles on the Appalachian Trail....All of what you wrote makes sense. Fluids, electrolytes, carbs (before, during and after). With that routine, my legs rarely got sore...

What stood out to me in the OP was the 50lb+ pack. I really dislike carrying pack weight.Pack weight wears me down.. On the AT, my base weight (pack, tent, sleeping bag, pad, cooking kit with butane, 'town clothes', sleeping clothes, Leukotape, personal items) came to 12lbs...with 2liters of water and 5-6 days of food, it was around 20lbs...

For me, part of losing weight means getting fit again so I can at least return to short day hikes... 👍 😎
As the years go by, I've shifted toward more day hikes. Honestly, I'm loving it—last year I even did rim2rim. My problem with backpacking comes down to comfort: I want my oversized tents, sleeping pads, sleeping airbags (yep, I use both at once), sleeping bags, chair, stove, bear canisters (when needed), @ every one of my amenities. I've put in some 20 plus mile days across Teton, Rockies, glacier, Yellowstone, and elsewhere, but I'm sure my descents would've been easier on my legs if I hadn't carried so much.

Keep it up. I'm sure you've got plenty of great stories and memories to look back on.
What's funny is that I spent 5 years living in Vail 25 years back, hardly working, and racking up miles and miles of hiking through every season. Having climbed or hiked more than 30 of Colorado's 14'ers, I should have seen this coming, but it completely slipped my mind. To avoid getting out of breath and to stay strong, I even got a Nordictrack with a 40% incline and did incline hike training for 2 months.

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley.

3cafb6fd70ea1d780244c789160b54058dc2fdef9dc49355cfb4500508595a0e.webp
 
More than 30 of the 14ers — that's incredible! What a remarkable path you've traveled. There's so much to appreciate, since you've accomplished what 99.9% of us humans wouldn't even imagine doing.

These old bones have covered some ground, though nowhere close to your level. Still, I'm thankful: I've trekked in South America, the Alps across 3 different countries, more than 20 US National Parks, Canada, and Alaska in 2027.

Sadly, as the years pile up I keep having to dial things back, but at 58 I still manage more than most people ever will. Plenty of wonderful memories.

Whenever someone asks which hike was my favorite, I feel lucky to say there have been so many outstanding ones that I can't even trim the list to a top 25. Sometimes it comes down to the weather, who you're with on the trail (my father, my oldest son, a new friend met on the path), the surroundings, your mindset and what you expected the trail to be, an encounter with wildlife, the memory of pushing through hardship, and so on. I'm sure you understand. There's no way to choose just one trail, one hike, one memory.
 
Back
Top