Will Reta be detected in my blood work?

PepGladiator

Explorer
Joined
Apr 27, 2026
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Location
Alberta
I'm going to begin Reta in roughly a week. I already have an appointment booked with my General Practitioner for yearly blood work (cholestrol etc). Because I'm getting Reta from the grey market, I'm not sure I feel okay with my GP knowing about it.

Will my blood work reveal the Reta? Any info from anyone who is currently doing blood work, or has done it before, would be appreciated. What appears on your blood work? Positive markers and negative markers .... that I should expect.
 
PepGladiator said:

I'm going to begin Reta in roughly a week. I already have an appointment booked with my General Practitioner for yearly blood work (cholestrol etc). Because I'm getting Reta from the grey market, I'm not sure I feel okay with my GP knowing about it.

Will my blood work reveal the Reta? Any info from anyone who is currently doing blood work, or has done it before, would be appreciated. What appears on your blood work? Positive markers and negative markers .... that I should expect.
The only way it would be found is if that is specifically what they test for.

Routine blood panels aren't designed to screen for medications you're on. Their purpose is to check health markers.
 
Most of us struggle to even get the blood tests we actually want from our PCP, much less ones we don't.

If you've only just started it, your bloodwork won't change because of it. That's actually a plus — you'll have a solid baseline.

One last piece of advice: push your PCP to order as many different panels as you can, so you'll have some reference points for when you inevitably branch out into other peps.
 
About 6 weeks back, my latest panel came back with no trace of it — and my cholesterol numbers actually improved.
 
Creating a reliable assay that reads Reta straight from blood would run from hundreds up to thousands of dollars.

Your PCP isn’t bothered either way.
 
If you have not begun any GLP medications whatsoever, try to get a DEXA body composition scan, even just to have a baseline and later comparison.
 
BNLFL said:

About 6 weeks back, my latest panel came back with no trace of it — and my cholesterol numbers actually improved.
In what way did it improve your cholesterol? And that wasn't tied to changes in what you ate or how much you moved?
 
PepGladiator said:

I'm going to begin Reta in roughly a week. I already have an appointment booked with my General Practitioner for yearly blood work (cholestrol etc). Because I'm getting Reta from the grey market, I'm not sure I feel okay with my GP knowing about it.

Will my blood work reveal the Reta? Any info from anyone who is currently doing blood work, or has done it before, would be appreciated. What appears on your blood work? Positive markers and negative markers .... that I should expect.
You could simply mention that you've begun following the Mediterranean diet a couple of days each week—since most clinicians regard it as an ideal way of eating—and when they notice your lab results have improved a lot compared to the previous round, they'll just nod along.
 
If you don't have diabetes, I doubt any lab results would shift so dramatically as to look strange or raise red flags, and anything that did change could just as easily be chalked up to eating better.

That said, whatever panels get run, glucose and lipid numbers will probably come back improved; beyond those, a typical blood test wouldn't show much of anything different.
 
A standard panel ordered by a GP won't screen for peptides in your body. The only thing that would show up is the beneficial results.
 
That got me thinking about the ways a physician could spot GLP use in a patient if they were actively trying. Like someone said earlier, developing a test that detects these compounds directly would cost a lot and bring in no money. So a doctor would instead have to pick up on indirect hints.

Just brainstorming here: a sharp drop in glucose and cholesterol numbers would stand out. Say your resting heart rate comes in higher than at past appointments while your weight has gone down — that combination could point them toward stimulants or reta, and blood pressure readings would confirm or rule that out. They could also check for needle marks. And naturally, they can always try to get a confession out of you or see whether you seem familiar with peptides. Honestly, now that I'm really chewing on it, keeping this fully under wraps during yearly checkups seems like it could be tough if your doctor is the curious type or knows their stuff.
 
When a doctor orders labs and is considering whether someone could be using GLP's, what they notice is probably quite different from what they'd pick up on if that possibility never crossed their mind. Unless suspicion already exists and they're actively looking for it, I'd say the odds are essentially nil that they'd attribute slightly improved lipids or sugars to GLP's. A drop of 20 or 30 kilos, though, could tip them off. Even so, that could just as easily be chalked up to eating better.

I'm not familiar with how things work in Canada's health care system. In the US, a lot of people worry that revealing grey GLP use could affect their health insurance. Here in Aus it appears to matter far less, although I can't say with certainty whether private health insurance holders here might be affected. Systems with more public funding seem to have fewer issues, but I'm unsure where Canada falls nowadays.
 
I'd genuinely value a clinician's take on this. A buddy of mine holds a commercial drivers license since he sometimes drives a shuttle bus with passengers. He's so worried about losing his job over a drug test that he went and got an R60 kit, yet he won't actually use it. Several of us split a single vial of R60 at a time. I keep reassuring him that it isn't among the substances they screen for, and from what I understand they'd need to run a specific test for it, but honestly I have no clue which assay would even pick up any GLP-1.

I can't get him to believe he won't be fired, and I really need to figure out what to tell this friend. (To be clear, I'm not pressuring him, aside from chanting "one of us" while the rest of us do our weekly dose.)
 
In this specific case, 2 things come into play: could it be screened for or picked up at all? And does using it create danger for someone who drives commercially? Honestly, the 2nd point matters more, because you do not want a situation where hypoglycemia hits and they plow into pedestrians, or put passengers at risk through a crash.

As far as I understand it, GLP medications are not viewed as a hazard behind the wheel, and they generally do not bring on hypoglycemia, though someone with diabetes who also takes other glucose-lowering agents might run into trouble. Besides, there are already regulations and guidelines for evaluating commercial driving fitness when diabetes is present.

As for whether a blood test could catch it? I genuinely have no idea, and I cannot imagine why anyone would bother creating such an assay. It has not been approved as a drug, and GLP's are not even prohibited in sports, which would be the obvious motive to develop a test. Perhaps forensic work could find it? Hunting for strange peaks on HPLC, but that kind of analysis would only happen when determining an unknown or suspicious cause of death, or after a fatal crash, if investigators were digging especially hard for a drug-related factor in the driver, like after spotting odd bruising on the lower abdomen consistent with injections, yet imagining that actually occurring feels like a stretch.

There is no chance it shows up on any routine test. It likely makes driving less risky, since many people with obesity have sleep apnea, GLP's help with that, and sleep apnea leads to daytime drowsiness that raises accident rates.

Properly prescribed tirzepatide would fix the issue, but then there is the expense.
 
lessthanhalf said:

In this specific case, 2 things come into play: could it be screened for or picked up at all? And does using it create danger for someone who drives commercially? Honestly, the 2nd point matters more, because you do not want a situation where hypoglycemia hits and they plow into pedestrians, or put passengers at risk through a crash.

As far as I understand it, GLP medications are not viewed as a hazard behind the wheel, and they generally do not bring on hypoglycemia, though someone with diabetes who also takes other glucose-lowering agents might run into trouble. Besides, there are already regulations and guidelines for evaluating commercial driving fitness when diabetes is present.

As for whether a blood test could catch it? I genuinely have no idea, and I cannot imagine why anyone would bother creating such an assay. It has not been approved as a drug, and GLP's are not even prohibited in sports, which would be the obvious motive to develop a test. Perhaps forensic work could find it? Hunting for strange peaks on HPLC, but that kind of analysis would only happen when determining an unknown or suspicious cause of death, or after a fatal crash, if investigators were digging especially hard for a drug-related factor in the driver, like after spotting odd bruising on the lower abdomen consistent with injections, yet imagining that actually occurring feels like a stretch.

There is no chance it shows up on any routine test. It likely makes driving less risky, since many people with obesity have sleep apnea, GLP's help with that, and sleep apnea leads to daytime drowsiness that raises accident rates.

Properly prescribed tirzepatide would fix the issue, but then there is the expense.
That settles it. If he is that worried — and it is just worry — he can simply get a prescription through his doctor or a telehealth service. After that, he uses the gray. Issue resolved, and it costs very little.
 
nitetrak said:

I'd genuinely value a clinician's take on this. A buddy of mine holds a commercial drivers license since he sometimes drives a shuttle bus with passengers. He's so worried about losing his job over a drug test that he went and got an R60 kit, yet he won't actually use it. Several of us split a single vial of R60 at a time. I keep reassuring him that it isn't among the substances they screen for, and from what I understand they'd need to run a specific test for it, but honestly I have no clue which assay would even pick up any GLP-1.

I can't get him to believe he won't be fired, and I really need to figure out what to tell this friend. (To be clear, I'm not pressuring him, aside from chanting "one of us" while the rest of us do our weekly dose.)

What you really need here is a lawyer's take, not a doctor's. The tricky part is the CDL angle. DoT screenings usually target illegal drugs and controlled substances, but if your friend ends up having to do a DoT physical, he might be required to disclose any prescription meds to the examiner. I hold a professional license myself (not a CDL), and I'm extremely cautious about how I answer anything on government paperwork, because I don't want to be in a spot where the government can claim I lied. That kind of accusation tends to be worse than whatever the original conduct was. To me, this looks like a legal matter concerning whether your friend's employer has the right to screen for particular substances. My own approach is to avoid lying on government forms whenever possible.
 
5byfive said:

lessthanhalf said:

In this specific case, 2 things come into play: could it be screened for or picked up at all? And does using it create danger for someone who drives commercially? Honestly, the 2nd point matters more, because you do not want a situation where hypoglycemia hits and they plow into pedestrians, or put passengers at risk through a crash.

As far as I understand it, GLP medications are not viewed as a hazard behind the wheel, and they generally do not bring on hypoglycemia, though someone with diabetes who also takes other glucose-lowering agents might run into trouble. Besides, there are already regulations and guidelines for evaluating commercial driving fitness when diabetes is present.

As for whether a blood test could catch it? I genuinely have no idea, and I cannot imagine why anyone would bother creating such an assay. It has not been approved as a drug, and GLP's are not even prohibited in sports, which would be the obvious motive to develop a test. Perhaps forensic work could find it? Hunting for strange peaks on HPLC, but that kind of analysis would only happen when determining an unknown or suspicious cause of death, or after a fatal crash, if investigators were digging especially hard for a drug-related factor in the driver, like after spotting odd bruising on the lower abdomen consistent with injections, yet imagining that actually occurring feels like a stretch.

There is no chance it shows up on any routine test. It likely makes driving less risky, since many people with obesity have sleep apnea, GLP's help with that, and sleep apnea leads to daytime drowsiness that raises accident rates.

Properly prescribed tirzepatide would fix the issue, but then there is the expense.
That settles it. If he is that worried — and it is just worry — he can simply get a prescription through his doctor or a telehealth service. After that, he uses the gray. Issue resolved, and it costs very little.

That exact thought crossed my mind too, but reta isn't something you can get a prescription for. The original poster was talking about reta.

Still, having a prescription documented in your medical file isn't the worst idea. Every month, one of the telehealth services I use sends a prescription to Lilly Direct on my behalf, and I never actually fill it. I simply prefer having it show up in my medical history. Lilly keeps sending me texts reminding me to fill the prescription whenever I'm ready 🤣. I've made up my mind that if anyone ever gives me grief about it, I'll go off on them and ask who the F can afford that? I haven't placed an order because I don't have the $$$$$.
 
nitetrak said:

I'd genuinely value a clinician's take on this. A buddy of mine holds a commercial drivers license since he sometimes drives a shuttle bus with passengers. He's so worried about losing his job over a drug test that he went and got an R60 kit, yet he won't actually use it. Several of us split a single vial of R60 at a time. I keep reassuring him that it isn't among the substances they screen for, and from what I understand they'd need to run a specific test for it, but honestly I have no clue which assay would even pick up any GLP-1.

I can't get him to believe he won't be fired, and I really need to figure out what to tell this friend. (To be clear, I'm not pressuring him, aside from chanting "one of us" while the rest of us do our weekly dose.)

I hold a CDL and a medical card. As long as a substance isn't classified as prohibited or controlled, the only real issue is whether you're "fit for duty."

When it comes to a GLP peptide and a CDL, the key concerns I'm aware of are staying stable with regard to low blood glucose and blood pressure. I've had a handful of episodes with low pressure and/or glucose symptoms that lasted only a very short time (single digit minutes)... they were never severe enough to affect my ability to operate safely.

GLP peptides carry no reporting obligation.

Insulin (which is also a peptide) can be taken while holding a CDL medical card. It must be declared and involves additional paperwork; you have to demonstrate that your glucose and symptoms are under control.

For an FAA Medical Certificate, Tirz has to be declared, but getting approval generally isn't an issue—just more hassle whenever something changes, such as the dosage. Reta probably wouldn't be accepted. Similar to the CDL situation but stricter: the main goal is confirming that your blood sugar or pressure is unlikely to crash and that you have things under control.
 
banditchewy said:

BNLFL said:

About 6 weeks back, my latest panel came back with no trace of it — and my cholesterol numbers actually improved.
In what way did it improve your cholesterol? And that wasn't tied to changes in what you ate or how much you moved?
The number came down. I have no idea what caused that. We're following a reduced carb approach, and there isn't any significant exercise happening. My glucose also dropped by a few points.
 
Drug tests won’t pick it up — those panels screen for narcotics and other illicit substances only. Even though your reta comes from the grey/black market, it still counts as a medication, so it won’t turn up anywhere. What will turn up are better numbers for cholesterol, ldl triglycerides, blood glucose and HbA1C — it’s proven to lower these, look it up. Blood pressure too. The one thing to watch is safety: if your batch carries enough endotoxins or sterility issues to trigger local or general allergic reactions, stop the medication if/when that happens. Apart from that you’re good, relax. If the doc gets suspicious, just tell them you’re taking Mounjaro prescribed by another doctor, or that you’re dieting with the aid a nutritionist.
 
Back
Top