Who Is the Youngest GLP-1 User in Your Circle?

tedvio said:

Curious about the youngest individual you're aware of who's taking a GLP-1. Our 19-year-old is significantly overweight. We've gone through the standard approaches—dieting, sessions with a dietitian, a personal trainer, and so on. Occasionally there's short-term success, but they're unable to maintain it. I'm left wondering whether we're essentially penalizing them by withholding the 'tools' that are now on the market to assist...
Semaglutide, sold under the brand name Wegovy, has approval for patients starting at age 12. That said, I haven't come across anyone under 18 who is actually taking it.
 
Vriende said:

Mood said:

jjplantgeek said:

My 17-year-old daughter uses Tirzepatide. Her PCP prescribed it as a compounded medication. The doctor oversees everything about her treatment, with bloodwork every 3 months and visits in person. I get grey for my own use, but every bit of her medication comes from her physician.
My daughter is under a doctor's care as well. Locating a source for it took some effort, though we did eventually manage. Because she has pcos/pmos, keeping her weight down has been a battle even with careful eating and regular activity. Up to this point, it has helped her a great deal.
As a teenager, weight problems were something I dealt with, and having medical care plus GLP1 support would have meant a lot to me. In many respects, I believe my life would have been much simpler.

There is a teen I know who has had great results with Wegovy prescribed by a doctor; it has been approved for adolescents for quite a while.
That's the same reasoning I have for our 19-year-old. If his weight gets managed, the changes to his physical health as well as his social and work life would be huge.
 
Vriende said:

Mood said:

jjplantgeek said:

My 17-year-old daughter uses Tirzepatide. Her PCP prescribed it as a compounded medication. The doctor oversees everything about her treatment, with bloodwork every 3 months and visits in person. I get grey for my own use, but every bit of her medication comes from her physician.
My daughter is under a doctor's care as well. Locating a source for it took some effort, though we did eventually manage. Because she has pcos/pmos, keeping her weight down has been a battle even with careful eating and regular activity. Up to this point, it has helped her a great deal.
As a teenager, weight problems were something I dealt with, and having medical care plus GLP1 support would have meant a lot to me. In many respects, I believe my life would have been much simpler.

There is a teen I know who has had great results with Wegovy prescribed by a doctor; it has been approved for adolescents for quite a while.
No kidding. If GLP1s had been available back in the 80s, my life would have looked completely different.
 
Like others here, I wish GLP-1 medications had existed back when I was growing up. Attending an all-boys school with a heavy sports focus during the 80's, carrying extra weight was often miserable. Around age 7, I put on fat quite suddenly—my weight more than doubled within 2 years—and nobody could really explain it. I was the only person in our household who got fat, though my father, who wasn't present, did have excess weight. I recall my mother bringing me to doctors to inquire about it, and the guidance amounted to avoiding second helpings of dessert. Better choices than that kind of poor advice would be welcome, yet even today I suspect 7 or 8 may be too young for GLP's. During the teenage years, though, they would have been a miracle, rather than diets that helped briefly before the weight came yoyo-ing back.

Google scholar holds stacks of research on GLP use among pediatric populations—I haven't read many of them—but they are definitely a recognized treatment for severe obesity or type 2 diabetes in teenagers. At what age reluctance to prescribe them kicks in, I'm unsure, and it could hinge on how severe the case is.

Going through this, I notice plenty of moralising about obese children and their parents. If diet and exercise are essentially ineffective for treating obesity in adults, at least over the long term, why would they abruptly begin working in younger people? Suboptimal parenting plays a role, sure, but frequently the parents themselves are overweight or obese, the food at home is ultraprocessed, and these days parents generally don't lock pantries and fridges. Getting kids active isn't always simple either. With my son, who has Autism, persuading him to go anywhere or do anything was a constant battle—even activities he enjoyed—because he simply refused to stop what he was doing, and that started at a very young age. He didn't become obese as a child, but he was somewhat overweight and is more so now that he's in his 20's.

I'm not claiming diet and exercise can't work—obviously obesity was far less common in the past—but within today's obesogenic social and food environment, how well they work is far more questionable. I'd have to check the pediatrics studies on obesity treatment to see whether it somehow magically works in kids despite being fairly useless in adults.
 
You'd be amazed at how many adolescents are using just about anything you can name. If you think reta is concerning, I've come across 16-year-olds holding vials of tren. These days the internet makes obtaining things far too simple. Based on what I've gone through with reta, I'd say it isn't risky when you use common sense. On the other hand, there was a guy who died after a single 24mg pin. So I'm not sure?
 
When a pediatrician prescribes GLP medications for a child with obesity, I have no discomfort at all—but the grey-market versions are a different story. As is true for anyone, the advantages likely exceed the dangers when obesity is present; however, if someone is not obese, weighing risk against benefit becomes far less straightforward. Had I been 15 or 16 today, I would gladly pick up extra hours each week to afford grey GLP drugs instead of living with obesity. Still, in a perfect world, kids and adults alike would have some form of medical oversight while using them, no matter where the product came from.
 
If it were up to me, I'd get them started on it too. Anyone who could benefit ought to be able to get it, and it would make his life better in so many different ways.
 
tedvio said:

Curious about the youngest individual you're aware of who's taking a GLP-1. Our 19-year-old is significantly overweight. We've gone through the standard approaches—dieting, sessions with a dietitian, a personal trainer, and so on. Occasionally there's short-term success, but they're unable to maintain it. I'm left wondering whether we're essentially penalizing them by withholding the 'tools' that are now on the market to assist...
Check out the ages of the youngest participants in the glp clinical trials — the numbers might surprise you. Apologies if someone already brought this up. I only skimmed.
 
In Sweden, doctors do prescribe GLP-1 for obese children, and the families cover roughly 300 USD each month. The medical community there is pushing for subsidies aimed at minors.

I don't have the link to share, but this was reported on Swedish news about a month back.
 
tedvio said:

Vriende said:

Mood said:

jjplantgeek said:

My 17-year-old daughter uses Tirzepatide. Her PCP prescribed it as a compounded medication. The doctor oversees everything about her treatment, with bloodwork every 3 months and visits in person. I get grey for my own use, but every bit of her medication comes from her physician.
My daughter is under a doctor's care as well. Locating a source for it took some effort, though we did eventually manage. Because she has pcos/pmos, keeping her weight down has been a battle even with careful eating and regular activity. Up to this point, it has helped her a great deal.
As a teenager, weight problems were something I dealt with, and having medical care plus GLP1 support would have meant a lot to me. In many respects, I believe my life would have been much simpler.

There is a teen I know who has had great results with Wegovy prescribed by a doctor; it has been approved for adolescents for quite a while.
That's the same reasoning I have for our 19-year-old. If his weight gets managed, the changes to his physical health as well as his social and work life would be huge.
How do they personally feel about it? They're not underage at this point, after all.
 
Enyola said:

tedvio said:

Vriende said:

Mood said:

jjplantgeek said:

My 17-year-old daughter uses Tirzepatide. Her PCP prescribed it as a compounded medication. The doctor oversees everything about her treatment, with bloodwork every 3 months and visits in person. I get grey for my own use, but every bit of her medication comes from her physician.
My daughter is under a doctor's care as well. Locating a source for it took some effort, though we did eventually manage. Because she has pcos/pmos, keeping her weight down has been a battle even with careful eating and regular activity. Up to this point, it has helped her a great deal.
As a teenager, weight problems were something I dealt with, and having medical care plus GLP1 support would have meant a lot to me. In many respects, I believe my life would have been much simpler.

There is a teen I know who has had great results with Wegovy prescribed by a doctor; it has been approved for adolescents for quite a while.
That's the same reasoning I have for our 19-year-old. If his weight gets managed, the changes to his physical health as well as his social and work life would be huge.
How do they personally feel about it? They're not underage at this point, after all.
He's not on board with the idea, but we're planning to make him do it anyway.

kidding lol. We're going to sit down and discuss it with him, and in the end, the choice will be up to him.
 
If GLP-1s had been available to me at 12, I'd have taken them—no more being bounced between this endocrinologist and that dietitian's office. What I'd have understood back then: my body's systems were the ones failing, not me, and this was something that could be treated.

Suppose I had a child younger than mine—she's 38 now, and yes, she got my screwed-up body systems too and is also using GLP-1s. At 10 years old, even? HELL YEAH, I'D PUT THEM ON A GLP-1.

I know firsthand how much better their life would look compared with the alternative: living with morbid obesity. (Ask me how I know😭)

YES. IN. A. HEARTBEAT!
 
QueenMuntha said:

If GLP-1s had been available to me at 12, I'd have taken them—no more being bounced between this endocrinologist and that dietitian's office. What I'd have understood back then: my body's systems were the ones failing, not me, and this was something that could be treated.

Suppose I had a child younger than mine—she's 38 now, and yes, she got my screwed-up body systems too and is also using GLP-1s. At 10 years old, even? HELL YEAH, I'D PUT THEM ON A GLP-1.

I know firsthand how much better their life would look compared with the alternative: living with morbid obesity. (Ask me how I know😭)

YES. IN. A. HEARTBEAT!
Fortunately, my childhood and early adult years passed without any problems, largely because I never stopped doing sports — martial arts and rugby (which plenty of people treat as a martial art 🙂). I figured the obesity gene that almost everyone in my immediate family deals with had passed me by. But then injuries, studying and eventually work came along, my activity dropped a lot, and my eating climbed right alongside it.

Outrunning genetics or upbringing isn't that simple. In my family, food is the answer to happiness, to sadness, to any day at all. And I've watched what serious weight gain does to kids socially. Children can be brutal. Some people seem to treat it as acceptable to go after someone over their weight.
 
tedvio said:

Enyola said:

tedvio said:

Vriende said:

Mood said:

jjplantgeek said:

My 17-year-old daughter uses Tirzepatide. Her PCP prescribed it as a compounded medication. The doctor oversees everything about her treatment, with bloodwork every 3 months and visits in person. I get grey for my own use, but every bit of her medication comes from her physician.
My daughter is under a doctor's care as well. Locating a source for it took some effort, though we did eventually manage. Because she has pcos/pmos, keeping her weight down has been a battle even with careful eating and regular activity. Up to this point, it has helped her a great deal.
As a teenager, weight problems were something I dealt with, and having medical care plus GLP1 support would have meant a lot to me. In many respects, I believe my life would have been much simpler.

There is a teen I know who has had great results with Wegovy prescribed by a doctor; it has been approved for adolescents for quite a while.
That's the same reasoning I have for our 19-year-old. If his weight gets managed, the changes to his physical health as well as his social and work life would be huge.
How do they personally feel about it? They're not underage at this point, after all.
He's not on board with the idea, but we're planning to make him do it anyway.

kidding lol. We're going to sit down and discuss it with him, and in the end, the choice will be up to him.

Honestly, you're nailing this (in case you weren't sure). Genuine effort plus a sense of humor.
 
best of luck navigating those talks. it s clear you re a thoughtful parent looking out for your (grown) kid. a lot of folks have a fear of needles or just dont want injections, so be sure to bring up the oral option too when you chat. fingers crossed they re receptive to this treatment 🙂
 
In my opinion, GLP medications might be helpful for both of my children, yet neither is willing to try them. Up until around age 12 or year 7, my daughter struggled with significant obesity; at that point she overhauled her eating habits, returned to a healthy weight, and has remarkably maintained it ever since. She is 18 now, but because she has PCOS, GLP drugs could be beneficial for her down the road. As for my son, he is extremely sedentary, has Autism, spends his time on video games and youtube, and has a BMI in the 30-35 range. His boyfriend's BMI is closer to 40 or higher. Both of them would clearly stand to gain from GLP's, for weight and potentially for mental health too, but they refuse to even entertain the idea. The shame surrounding obesity, along with how obesity and GLP's are generally perceived by most people—including many who are obese themselves—only makes things worse, leading many to reject even considering GLP's as an option.

On a youtube channel I enjoy, blacktail studio, the person operating the camera had shed roughly 100 lbs and gotten into shape over about the past year. However, they felt compelled to state and restate that no GLP drugs were involved in that result, as though using them would mean the accomplishment didn't really count. In truth, like most people in that position, chances are he will regain much of that weight in the coming years—and that outcome would be far less likely if GLP's were taken and maintained.
 
My 12-year-old niece was prescribed a GLP-1 by her Doctor due to her weight and family history of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes runs in the family — her Mom, older brother, and sister all have it. The prescription was for Wegovy.
 
bamagirl26 said:

best of luck navigating those talks. it s clear you re a thoughtful parent looking out for your (grown) kid. a lot of folks have a fear of needles or just dont want injections, so be sure to bring up the oral option too when you chat. fingers crossed they re receptive to this treatment 🙂
I wasn't aware that a pill version existed these days. I'll look into that. Still, I doubt the small weekly Mounjaro shot would be an issue for him.

EDIT - after checking, it's Ozempic in pill form. I'll skip it, in part because of the way its timing and so on needs to be handled correctly, and in part because I consider Mounjaro the superior medication with fewer side effects.
 
At 26, I'd say I still fall under the young label. Though not exactly young — I'm getting close to aging out of that group.
 
Carrying extra weight does a lot of harm, no question. That said, a male who is 19 typically drops pounds fast once he starts ordinary exercise and diet changes, which makes me reluctant to push a medication with a fairly high rebound rate. Speaking from my own experience as a female, shedding weight at that age was far easier for me than it was at 35.

Before turning to medication, I would focus on boosting fiber, showing them how to eat for volume, getting them out for a walk every day, and similar steps. If all of that falls short, the drug is still an option.
 
Back
Top