Who Have You Shared Your GLP-1 Use With?

European

Explorer
Joined
Jun 24, 2026
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Location
Croatia
I’m wondering which people in your life are aware that you take GLP-1s.

Is it friends? Family? A partner? Your kids? People you work with? Your physician? Or do you mostly keep it to yourself?

For me, just 3 very close friends know. Before I began GLP-1/Reta, I’d already dropped about 20 kg/44 lbs on my own.

Since starting Reta 2 weeks ago, I’ve shed another 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs (I had been stalled for 6 months without medication).

That’s one reason I’m cautious about who I tell. I don’t want someone to hear “GLP-1” and instantly credit it for everything I’ve achieved, like my earlier effort meant nothing.

Who in your life knows, and what was their response?
 
European said:

I’m wondering which people in your life are aware that you take GLP-1s.

Is it friends? Family? A partner? Your kids? People you work with? Your physician? Or do you mostly keep it to yourself?

For me, just 3 very close friends know. Before I began GLP-1/Reta, I’d already dropped about 20 kg/44 lbs on my own.

Since starting Reta 2 weeks ago, I’ve shed another 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs (I had been stalled for 6 months without medication).

That’s one reason I’m cautious about who I tell. I don’t want someone to hear “GLP-1” and instantly credit it for everything I’ve achieved, like my earlier effort meant nothing.

Who in your life knows, and what was their response?
Same here. Folks are judgmental. And they gossip.
 
I haven't told a single person lol, the only ones who know are my immediate family, and that's only because I had to say something so they'd stop grabbing my peps 😂 I've been on Reta since last Dec along with other peps, but at the moment I'm pausing since I've got a procedure coming up and I'm traveling out of the country.

A lot of my friends and family have wondered about how I've been losing weight, so my answer is that I'm doing keto and IF, which is what I've been doing for the past 7+ yrs on top of the peps.
 
In the beginning, I didn’t say much to anyone. These days, though, if someone brings up how much I’ve changed, I’ll talk about it freely. The improvements to my health have been so significant—even back when tirzepatide was the only thing I was taking—that I think others should hear how incredible this medication is. That said, when it comes to reta and other peps, I’ve shared that with just a handful of people...
 
I don't really hide it. Over the past few years, a lot of folks in my circle have gotten GLP's prescribed by their doctor, so it's not much of a taboo subject.
 
There's a close friend of mine—we've known each other for 20yrs—who has always dealt with weight issues. I remember she was on sema around five years back? And something taken orally about 15 years ago. Her self-image really takes a hit from all of it. Her insurance cut off sema coverage after roughly two months, so she had to quit. We're extremely tight; she stayed at my place for the two years leading up to January, when she moved away for a new job.

During the time she was living with me, I gained about 50lbs. After she left, I began a glp and dropped 50lbs. Last week she came to visit, brought up that she'd put on more weight, and I straight-up shared with her what I was doing. I even offered to pack her off with three months' worth of tirz, needles, the whole setup. She said she'd consider it, but never brought it up again before leaving, and I didn't push—even though she deals with back pain and other things that I'm confident the anti-inflammatory effects of tirz would help.

I gave it a shot 🤷

...maybe it's because of how I frame it—injecting grey market Chinese chemicals I mix up in my kitchen 😂😂😂—but I also filled her in on telehealth choices and what they cost, so she can look into it herself, since it fits comfortably in her budget
 
My husband knows, and so does my closest friend — we've been tight for 20 years. The reason my spouse found out is that during the compounded phase, the payments were drawn from our shared account. As for my best friend, she runs a shamanistic retreat that I intended to join, and their rules required every medication to be declared before taking part in their medicine ceremony. Neither of them has been anything but supportive.

I've also mentioned to my spouse that I'm looking into other peptides, and I pulled up some NAD+ pictures from a Google search to show him — but I still haven't worked up to the gray conversation. I definitely carry more of that adventure-seeking, risk-taking streak!
 
European said:

I’m wondering which people in your life are aware that you take GLP-1s.

Is it friends? Family? A partner? Your kids? People you work with? Your physician? Or do you mostly keep it to yourself?

For me, just 3 very close friends know. Before I began GLP-1/Reta, I’d already dropped about 20 kg/44 lbs on my own.

Since starting Reta 2 weeks ago, I’ve shed another 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs (I had been stalled for 6 months without medication).

That’s one reason I’m cautious about who I tell. I don’t want someone to hear “GLP-1” and instantly credit it for everything I’ve achieved, like my earlier effort meant nothing.

Who in your life knows, and what was their response?
I wouldn't say I'm keeping it a secret, though I'm not broadcasting it either. The people who know are my doctor, my partner, and anonymous folks online. When someone wonders how I've been dropping weight, I explain that it's better nutrition, more exercise, and GLP1 as an addition. Should they want more details, I'm happy to share.
 
Honestly, other people's opinions don't bother me at all. I don't hide that I use it.

Think about it: the folks who criticize you for using glp1s would be the first to mutter “if only they could have lost some weight” after you dropped dead from a heart attack.

Anyone who genuinely cares about you will simply be glad that you're dropping pounds and improving your health.
 
I’m not hiding it, but I don’t broadcast it either. If someone wants to know how I’ve been losing weight, my answer changes based on who’s asking.

Sometimes it’s “I eat clean and move a lot more.” Other times it’s “OMG these Chinese magic powders are the best thing in the world.” In my own little world, both are true.
 
You all are the only ones I've told, and that's where it ends. There's no reason for anyone else to find out, since they wouldn't be able to offer a well-informed take regardless.
 
mybodyisasewer said:

You all are the only ones I've told, and that's where it ends. There's no reason for anyone else to find out, since they wouldn't be able to offer a well-informed take regardless.
Initially, just my wife knew. These days, though, I don't mind who finds out — a few of them even purchase through me, which offsets what I pay, though I'm not gouging them the way resellers do.

Beyond that, it's genuinely nice watching familiar faces make their own lives better. We swap lab results and that sort of thing — it's a good time.
 
Forget what anyone thinks. You’ve got roughly a few good decades left, give or take. If something makes those years easier, it’s fair game. 150 years from now, my name and I will be forgotten. No layer of society is going to take care of that for you. Better to live on your own terms.
 
In the beginning, the only people who knew were my husband, our daughters, and their husbands. These days, though, I no longer hide it. I'm not out there announcing it to the world, but if someone brings up my weight loss and wonders how I managed it, I'll mention the GLPs. When they follow up — and 97% of the time they do — asking what I pay, only a select few I feel safe with hear about that magical powder from China. For everyone else, my answer is simply that I get it through telehealth.
 
I let anyone within earshot know, and after that I posted all of it on Facebook.

There is no area of my life where shame gets to me — the only exception being "Am I smart enough" — so my thinking was: be loud and proud, and in doing so maybe give some cover to folks who are more exposed than I am.
 
My oldest son knows, though he's the one who got me started on them. On top of being an RN and working for the FD, he's a muscle head too. Every one of the firemen is into TRT and peptides.
 
With each passing year, my concern over trivial matters fades more and more—honestly, I've spent 2 or 3 decades now not giving much thought to most things...

It's no different from any of my pastimes: sooner or later, someone brings it up, and once they do, I'm able to discuss it...
 
When someone brings up my weight loss, I just say "Diet and supplements". Nobody has ever followed up by asking which Chinese supplements I'm injecting, though. I'm neither an expert nor a preacher, and I have no interest in guiding people who I already know struggle to stick to a plan properly. Honestly, I can't picture sitting down and explaining how I mix powder from China and shoot it into my love handles. To the people in my life, that's precisely how it would sound.
 
I went to a get-together with my cousins not long ago, and the first thing everyone brought up was how much weight I'd dropped (115lbs in the last year). My answer was diet, exercise and drugs. I went into detail about what reta was like for me. "aren't you embarressed admitting to using a GLP-1" — that came from 1 of my cousins. My response was to ask why, given that 30% of the US is on them. Right then, 4 other cousins spoke up and revealed they were using them too (something they hadn't said before). According to 1 of the women, a year of diet and exercise had left her feeling like a failure because she'd only shed 4 lbs, until her PCP said the time had come to begin the medicine.
 
People I bump into at random spots — the airport bar, a bowling alley, a wedding, honestly just about anywhere.

The pattern tends to be: I bring up that I've dropped some weight lately, they wonder out loud whether it's glps, I confirm, and then they tell me they've been on them too… a few have even come right out and said they use reta.

Not one of them, though, had any idea the CN grey market existed… and each and every one was eager to pick up what I could tell them.

All of this happened in just the past couple of weeks.

Could be luck, could be the way I come across, but nobody has judged me, and they ALL are thrilled to find out alternatives exist. I always make the point that doing their own research is on them, and nobody has pushed back on that. For all I know, a few of them might be scrolling this very thread as I write!
 
Back
Top