Which uncommon vegetable do you enjoy most, and what's your preferred way to prepare it?

Butter-steamed xuxu tastes great. Strangely, seedless cucumber can be prepared in much the same way. It may seem strange to cook vegetables such as cucumber and radish, yet the outcome can be wonderful.

A few more I like: leeks, rutabagas, fennel and celeriac.
 
Roasting parsnips with honey makes a nice alternative to carrots and potatoes
 
Spinach. I prepare it the Korean way. I blanch it in boiling water for roughly 4-5 mins. After draining, I combine it with sesame oil and salt...it's delicious
 
On the subject of Korean food, does anyone here enjoy Kimchi? Not sure whether it counts, since it comes already made. The Asian market where I buy groceries prepares it on site (does that even make sense to say?) and it tastes amazing, plus it packs a lot of heat.
 
Homemade kimchi is fantastic. I prepare my own batch. A video will be included. Doing it on your own is truly easy and turns out delicious.
 
Squash. Botanically it's a fruit, though in cooking it counts as a vegetable. I like to add 300-400 grams of Squash so that my potato serving ends up considerably larger.
 
Pumpkin—the kind that's a big deal in South Korea. Back when I was living there, it was a Fall staple for me. Roasting or steaming both work, and either way you can turn it into a tasty porridge/soup known as hobajuk (호박죽). The seeds are great roasted as a snack, too!
 
Baby bok choy and chayote. Thai chili peppers are another favorite of mine — tiny, fiery little things, yet they bring plenty of flavor and are an excellent way to add heat to a dish.
 
Brussels sprouts! I adore roasting them in the oven alongside carrots, parsnips, and carrots. It's a classic Sunday roast.
 
Kohlrabi

It tastes great, though finding a quality one in stores is quite the challenge. This is a crop for cooler weather, and it turns woody if it grows too big or the temperature gets too high. Just slice it up and dip it. The flavor is a bit like a gentle cabbage.

Broccoli stalks

Peel them, cut into slices, then roast. Avoid the really thick ones. They come with a tough, woody center too.
 
Asparagus sautéed with hollandaise sauce....num.. or asparagus sautéed with garlic cloves and parmesean ...zucchini, onions all sautéed with greek seasoning and parm
 
CathyGoesFar said:

Kohlrabi

It tastes great, though finding a quality one in stores is quite the challenge. This is a crop for cooler weather, and it turns woody if it grows too big or the temperature gets too high. Just slice it up and dip it. The flavor is a bit like a gentle cabbage.

Broccoli stalks

Peel them, cut into slices, then roast. Avoid the really thick ones. They come with a tough, woody center too.
What a coincidence--I had literally just returned to share kohlrabi, which I'm trying right now for the first time, and you already mentioned it! I went with roasting. Tastes similar to roasted turnips, only sweeter.
 
My go-to is a fast ratatouille. Onion slices, eggplant, red bell peppers, tomatoes. First give them a hard sautee with a bit of salt and pepper. Take them out of the pan, sweat some garlic, stir in tomato paste, return the veggies, bake for 30 minutes, and presto!
 
I'm not sure whether people would file these under common or uncommon, but lately I've been eating Brussels sprouts constantly. For my entire life up until the past 6 months, I never liked them. They showed up maybe 2 times a year at family gatherings. These days it's 3x a week.

Into a cast iron skillet go butter, olive oil, salt, pepper and minced garlic. The key is not to overcook them- if you do, eww.

Asparagus and fresh green beans are two more I enjoy, and I make them pretty much the same way.

In my garden I've got at least 6 different varieties of 'green' beans... in only a couple more weeks they'll be on the table every night.

Since we try to buy only organic produce, growing our own saves my family of 7 a TON of money.
 
deluge said:

On the subject of Korean food, does anyone here enjoy Kimchi? Not sure whether it counts, since it comes already made. The Asian market where I buy groceries prepares it on site (does that even make sense to say?) and it tastes amazing, plus it packs a lot of heat.
One of my top picks is kimchi. The Korean market near me prepares its own batch as well. It wards off anything negative. A nice kimchi set is something I really enjoy too.

What about spicy braised tofu? It's not a vegetable, but it's incredibly tasty. I've been considering using that same recipe to make spicy shredded chicken.

@Mr. Blonde I appreciate you sharing the recipe. 🤩💗
 
HereKittyKitty said:

deluge said:

On the subject of Korean food, does anyone here enjoy Kimchi? Not sure whether it counts, since it comes already made. The Asian market where I buy groceries prepares it on site (does that even make sense to say?) and it tastes amazing, plus it packs a lot of heat.
One of my top picks is kimchi. The Korean market near me prepares its own batch as well. It wards off anything negative. A nice kimchi set is something I really enjoy too.

What about spicy braised tofu? It's not a vegetable, but it's incredibly tasty. I've been considering using that same recipe to make spicy shredded chicken.

@Mr. Blonde I appreciate you sharing the recipe. 🤩💗
Give this a shot: put kimchi on brats in place of sauerkraut...it tastes great.
 
Back
Top