WLBLD said:
Japanese eggplant is a favorite of mine. After steaming it, you can drizzle spicy sauce or another kind over the topGrogu said:
Isn't a tomato technically a fruit?randompersonrandom said:
CNCCurrency said:
Does cauliflower count as uncommon? I could eat it nonstop
I had the lying machine list the top 10 most consumed vegetables in the US, and here's what it returned:
According to USDA per-capita consumption estimates, the 10 vegetables eaten most in the United States are:
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Onions
Sweet corn
Lettuce
Bell peppers
Broccoli
Carrots
Cucumbers
Green beans
Source: vegetable consumption data from the USDA Economic Research Service "food availability per capita."
How the ranking was determined: ordered by estimated pounds eaten per person each year, based on USDA ERS food availability statistics.
So I suppose cauliflower qualifies! But what's your favorite way to cook it?
View attachment 10149
There are 3 vegetables that aren't seen as often that I'm quite fond of
- broccoli rabe
- Japanese eggplant
- frisée
And I should add that carrot greens are something I enjoy too, though I get them seldom and only as tempura![]()
That sounds tasty, and way better for you than my approach. My usual method: cut it into slices, fry in oil, then at the end add soy sauce and fresh ginger right in the pan. The eggplant turns soft and buttery, unlike the regular kind. Plus the skin is tender enough that you won't choke on it.