Which uncommon vegetable do you enjoy most, and what's your preferred way to prepare it?

Grogu said:

randompersonrandom said:

CNCCurrency said:

Does cauliflower count as uncommon? I could eat it nonstop

I had the lying machine list the top 10 most consumed vegetables in the US, and here's what it returned:

According to USDA per-capita consumption estimates, the 10 vegetables eaten most in the United States are:

Potatoes

Tomatoes

Onions

Sweet corn

Lettuce

Bell peppers

Broccoli

Carrots

Cucumbers

Green beans

Source: vegetable consumption data from the USDA Economic Research Service "food availability per capita."

How the ranking was determined: ordered by estimated pounds eaten per person each year, based on USDA ERS food availability statistics.

So I suppose cauliflower qualifies! But what's your favorite way to cook it?
Isn't a tomato technically a fruit?



View attachment 10149

There are 3 vegetables that aren't seen as often that I'm quite fond of

  • broccoli rabe
  • Japanese eggplant
  • frisée

And I should add that carrot greens are something I enjoy too, though I get them seldom and only as tempura

Sure, cucumbers are technically a berry, but I'm really just here to eat. 😂
 
I enjoy slicing cauliflower into hefty steaks, then grilling them after brushing on some olive oil. Finish with a splash of balsamic — delicious!
 
randompersonrandom said:

FamousGoodkitty said:

Chayote Squash - fantastic prepared in countless ways. I enjoy turning it into an "apple pie" - a quality apple flavoring is essential. If you cut it properly - it resembles apple slices exactly. Its flavor is gentle and it absorbs other tastes as well. It works well both uncooked and cooked.
Chayote is a favorite of mine! When roasted, I think it beats zucchini (zucchini and yellow squash are the ones I usually reach for), though I hardly ever cook it now because the sap causes odd reactions on my hands. 🙁
True, chayote's sap does cause dryness. That said, it doesn't last long - the nickname for it is "squash hands - lol". On the other hand, chayote offers real benefits for the skin: https://www.clinikally.com/blogs/news/secrets-of-chayote-a-game-changer-in-skin-care
 
I come from the southeastern part of the U.S. Greens such as collards and turnips, along with black eyed peas, are staples around here. Okra is tasty too. Bok choy is another one we enjoy.
 
SpiralJetty said:

I think okra is great, and I'm puzzled why it isn't more popular or widely used.
I chop it into little pieces, then grill it on the BBQ. Delicious.
 
Fresh beets are a favorite of mine. You can boil or roast them, then toss with feta, red onion and balsamic glaze.
 
PunkN said:

I come from the southeastern part of the U.S. Greens such as collards and turnips, along with black eyed peas, are staples around here. Okra is tasty too. Bok choy is another one we enjoy.
I'm Southern—originally from the eastern part, currently out west—and greens are a staple I adore. Collards are even stocked at Walmart out here. Back in rural Florida, though, roadside stands were where you'd pick up greens. Next time, I intend to fold some into an omelet.
 
These days I'm really into avocados. My go-to healthy lunch: dice an avocado, toss it with chickpeas or well-rinsed black beans, then mix in chopped raw red onion and halved cherry tomatoes. Finish it off with a squeeze of lime or a bit of Italian dressing. It's packed with good stuff and delicious. Technically avocado counts as a fruit, but whatever.
 
CNCCurrency said:

Can you actually cook it? For me, I usually just have it uncooked with ranch dressing. I do prepare cauliflower rice sometimes, though it's also excellent when steamed and topped with melted butter.
My usual approach is steaming, or I rice it and saute it in butter with a bay leaf and turmeric. Everything mentioned above is a hit in our house. I'll take fresh beet, sweet potato, brussels sprouts, plus onion and garlic, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast. Usually I'll add 2 chops or thighs to the same pan. Now I'm craving it.
 
Calm Logic said:

PunkN said:

I come from the southeastern part of the U.S. Greens such as collards and turnips, along with black eyed peas, are staples around here. Okra is tasty too. Bok choy is another one we enjoy.
I'm Southern—originally from the eastern part, currently out west—and greens are a staple I adore. Collards are even stocked at Walmart out here. Back in rural Florida, though, roadside stands were where you'd pick up greens. Next time, I intend to fold some into an omelet.
My other half is a Florida native, and honestly so am I. Her collards with ham hocks are outstanding.
 
Pickled beets! My approach is to take the beets raw, then peel and slice them. To get the timing right, I like having a pot of water heating to a boil while I'm doing that hands-on work.

How long they cook varies, but from what I've found, going longer tends to work out better. Depending on how thick your slices are, 35-45 minutes is usual. I set the timer for 35 minutes and then check whether they're tender before I begin measuring and warming the brine.

For the brine, my recommendation is to begin with 2c water, 2c sugar, 2c vinegar, then tweak it to your taste. I typically use 4lbs of beets, and that quantity of brine covers them. After the sugar dissolves, I let it reach a boil, then reduce the heat completely and put in the spices so they can steep for 10 minutes, or for as long as the beets still need to become tender. The spices I use are ground cinnamon, cloves either whole or ground, and allspice berries either whole or ground. I've never measured, but roughly 1 tsp of ground cinnamon and ground allspice, plus 1/4 tsp of ground clove. With whole allspice, I'd guess around 10-20 berries along with 10 whole cloves.

When the beets have reached the tenderness you want, drain the boiled beets, pour the brine over them until they're covered, and refrigerate. After about 48 hours, the flavor will have matured.
 
Since I'm from Central America, the way we eat them over there is what I'm used to, but the less common vegetables I'd pick are radishes, watercress and guisquil. With radishes, we prepare a chilled salad that includes tomatoes, mint, limr and beef, then wrap it in a tortilla. Really refreshing. As for watercress, after washing it we dip it in egg, fry it, and pair it with tomato sauce. Guisquil works the same way, and you can also fill it with cheese. It's great in soups too.
 
PunkN said:

I come from the southeastern part of the U.S. Greens such as collards and turnips, along with black eyed peas, are staples around here. Okra is tasty too. Bok choy is another one we enjoy.
Down here below the Manson Nixon line, after 10yrs, Hoppin John on NYD has become something we absolutely L O V E.
 
HereKittyKitty said:

PunkN said:

I come from the southeastern part of the U.S. Greens such as collards and turnips, along with black eyed peas, are staples around here. Okra is tasty too. Bok choy is another one we enjoy.
Down here below the Manson Nixon line, after 10yrs, Hoppin John on NYD has become something we absolutely L O V E.
I'm not sure what "Manson Nixon" is supposed to mean—I'm only familiar with the Mason-Dixon line. Could you explain?
 
HereKittyKitty said:

That's all. The Mason Dixon line. It's a joke from way back. I'm old.
Ah, got it. So I suppose that's a reference from the 70s to tricky Dick and Charlie
 
Here you go.

Google:

Much like the original Mason-Dixon line stood for a nation split in two (North against South, slave states against free states), the Manson-Nixon line was invoked to suggest a country coming apart or torn between extremes during the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Me: it is a way of calling up the turbulence of the times. It leans on references to Charles Manson and Richard Nixon (who spoke publicly about the Manson Murder trials while they were still going on, which was seen - correctly - as meddling with the justice system).
 
HereKittyKitty said:

Here you go.

Google:

Much like the original Mason-Dixon line stood for a nation split in two (North against South, slave states against free states), the Manson-Nixon line was invoked to suggest a country coming apart or torn between extremes during the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Me: it is a way of calling up the turbulence of the times. It leans on references to Charles Manson and Richard Nixon (who spoke publicly about the Manson Murder trials while they were still going on, which was seen - correctly - as meddling with the justice system).
I assumed it had some connection to Richard and Charlie
 
Back
Top