Which needle length for the pen?

jperiod

Explorer
Joined
Mar 30, 2026
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Location
southwest
Reta has gone in 2x a week for 2 months now and pinning still isn't any easier. In fairness my husband does it for me, since I'm a big chicken! So a V4 pen is on order and hidden needles are the plan. In my amazon cart sit 33g 4mm pen tips, and I keep second guessing whether 6 mm would be wiser. Fluffy is a fair description of me, so fat is plentiful. With the pen cap on, will 4 mm reach deep enough?
 
jperiod said:

Reta has gone in 2x a week for 2 months now and pinning still isn't any easier. In fairness my husband does it for me, since I'm a big chicken! So a V4 pen is on order and hidden needles are the plan. In my amazon cart sit 33g 4mm pen tips, and I keep second guessing whether 6 mm would be wiser. Fluffy is a fair description of me, so fat is plentiful. With the pen cap on, will 4 mm reach deep enough?

My pick would be the 6mm option. With the shorter 4mm needles, ISRs are more likely to occur.
 
I'd go with 6mm. Additionally, be sure to pick up the Novofine needle tips. The gluco-care tips aren't compatible with the v4 pen. They'll fit, but the cap that conceals the needle won't go on.
 
CandyCap said:

jperiod said:

Reta has gone in 2x a week for 2 months now and pinning still isn't any easier. In fairness my husband does it for me, since I'm a big chicken! So a V4 pen is on order and hidden needles are the plan. In my amazon cart sit 33g 4mm pen tips, and I keep second guessing whether 6 mm would be wiser. Fluffy is a fair description of me, so fat is plentiful. With the pen cap on, will 4 mm reach deep enough?

My pick would be the 6mm option. With the shorter 4mm needles, ISRs are more likely to occur.
Ugh. I went ahead and bought an entire box in 4mm. I'll still go through with them since they're probably okay anyway. You learn from experience.
 
javajoe316 said:

I'd go with 6mm. Additionally, be sure to pick up the Novofine needle tips. The gluco-care tips aren't compatible with the v4 pen. They'll fit, but the cap that conceals the needle won't go on.

The Gluco-Care works, but only the standard version (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DL4WD4PW), not the Plus (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CTCPDT6Q). Learned that the hard way.

Pocket said:

CandyCap said:

jperiod said:

Reta has gone in 2x a week for 2 months now and pinning still isn't any easier. In fairness my husband does it for me, since I'm a big chicken! So a V4 pen is on order and hidden needles are the plan. In my amazon cart sit 33g 4mm pen tips, and I keep second guessing whether 6 mm would be wiser. Fluffy is a fair description of me, so fat is plentiful. With the pen cap on, will 4 mm reach deep enough?

My pick would be the 6mm option. With the shorter 4mm needles, ISRs are more likely to occur.
Ugh. I went ahead and bought an entire box in 4mm. I'll still go through with them since they're probably okay anyway. You learn from experience.
I'd have picked the 6mm as well. That said, if 4mm ends up being too short, they can still serve purposes like clearing carts after filling. Using them without the cap might work too.
 
For injections into my stomach I reach for the 4mm needle, while for glute injections I go with the 6mm. What makes the distinction for me is that on my abdomen I'm able to grab a pinch and line things up more effectively. YMMV
 
Pocket said:

CandyCap said:

jperiod said:

Reta has gone in 2x a week for 2 months now and pinning still isn't any easier. In fairness my husband does it for me, since I'm a big chicken! So a V4 pen is on order and hidden needles are the plan. In my amazon cart sit 33g 4mm pen tips, and I keep second guessing whether 6 mm would be wiser. Fluffy is a fair description of me, so fat is plentiful. With the pen cap on, will 4 mm reach deep enough?

My pick would be the 6mm option. With the shorter 4mm needles, ISRs are more likely to occur.
Ugh. I went ahead and bought an entire box in 4mm. I'll still go through with them since they're probably okay anyway. You learn from experience.
SAME HERE! A new pen kit I recently purchased came with 4, 5, 6 & 8mm samples, and the 4mm ones were so pleasant, particularly when used on the arm. I bought a 100ct box. With Ipamorelin and 4mm, there's been no ISR. My 8mm ones are still around for glute injections. (Wow, that came out wrong 🫣🤭 )
 
Pocket said:

CandyCap said:

jperiod said:

Reta has gone in 2x a week for 2 months now and pinning still isn't any easier. In fairness my husband does it for me, since I'm a big chicken! So a V4 pen is on order and hidden needles are the plan. In my amazon cart sit 33g 4mm pen tips, and I keep second guessing whether 6 mm would be wiser. Fluffy is a fair description of me, so fat is plentiful. With the pen cap on, will 4 mm reach deep enough?

My pick would be the 6mm option. With the shorter 4mm needles, ISRs are more likely to occur.
Ugh. I went ahead and bought an entire box in 4mm. I'll still go through with them since they're probably okay anyway. You learn from experience.
You may be aware of this already, but the needles that ship with Lilly pens measure 4mm. Clearly they're onto something. From what I can tell, though, anything in the 4-8mm range works well. With the shorter options, there's no need to pinch the skin.
 
tcpnomad said:

Pocket said:

CandyCap said:

jperiod said:

Reta has gone in 2x a week for 2 months now and pinning still isn't any easier. In fairness my husband does it for me, since I'm a big chicken! So a V4 pen is on order and hidden needles are the plan. In my amazon cart sit 33g 4mm pen tips, and I keep second guessing whether 6 mm would be wiser. Fluffy is a fair description of me, so fat is plentiful. With the pen cap on, will 4 mm reach deep enough?

My pick would be the 6mm option. With the shorter 4mm needles, ISRs are more likely to occur.
Ugh. I went ahead and bought an entire box in 4mm. I'll still go through with them since they're probably okay anyway. You learn from experience.
You may be aware of this already, but the needles that ship with Lilly pens measure 4mm. Clearly they're onto something. From what I can tell, though, anything in the 4-8mm range works well. With the shorter options, there's no need to pinch the skin.
That's news to me. Thanks for the info.
 
GT, a pen manufacturer, has published a schema and documentation: https://ganleediabetes.com/needle/

  • At 4 or 5 mm, the needle reaches the correct layer by itself 🙂
  • At 6 mm, a skin fold has to be made.
  • At 8 mm, the injection must be given at a 45° angle (8/1.414 = 5.7 mm).
Injecting into muscle is the danger: muscle holds blood vessels, and diffusion there works differently. A further hazard is tearing the fascia (the connective tissue sheath) when a large volume goes in. Infection can follow, and surgery is occasionally needed (you could wind up like Dr. House, with a piece of muscle gone).

The pen needles I normally use: 32g, 4mm BD (Embecta)

1ml syringes: 31g, 6mm
 
I've got BD needles in 4mm, 5mm and 8mm sizes. For spicy stuff I reach for the 8mm, while the rest of the time I use the smaller ones. My feeling is that 4mm can be a bit too short, unless the skin where you're pinning is thin. After these inherited pen needles are gone, I'll probably go with 6 or 8mm.
 
Mood said:

javajoe316 said:

I'd go with 6mm. Additionally, be sure to pick up the Novofine needle tips. The gluco-care tips aren't compatible with the v4 pen. They'll fit, but the cap that conceals the needle won't go on.

The Gluco-Care works, but only the standard version (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DL4WD4PW), not the Plus (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CTCPDT6Q). Learned that the hard way.

Pocket said:

CandyCap said:

jperiod said:

Reta has gone in 2x a week for 2 months now and pinning still isn't any easier. In fairness my husband does it for me, since I'm a big chicken! So a V4 pen is on order and hidden needles are the plan. In my amazon cart sit 33g 4mm pen tips, and I keep second guessing whether 6 mm would be wiser. Fluffy is a fair description of me, so fat is plentiful. With the pen cap on, will 4 mm reach deep enough?

My pick would be the 6mm option. With the shorter 4mm needles, ISRs are more likely to occur.
Ugh. I went ahead and bought an entire box in 4mm. I'll still go through with them since they're probably okay anyway. You learn from experience.
I'd have picked the 6mm as well. That said, if 4mm ends up being too short, they can still serve purposes like clearing carts after filling. Using them without the cap might work too.
I'm thinking about picking up the 4mm 33g, but every listing I see mentions "plus." What exactly is it that's incompatible with the V4?
 
4mm doesn't work for me. 5mm is the minimum I'd use. 6mm works great every time.
 
For Tirz and Semax I'm using 4mm, while anything containing GHK-CU gets 8mm.

My prescription sema used to arrive with 4mm, so that's the size I bought a box of. After finishing this box, I'll test how the 8mm works for me, and if it doesn't, I'll move to 6mm.
 
eidos said:

GT, a pen manufacturer, has published a schema and documentation: https://ganleediabetes.com/needle/

  • At 4 or 5 mm, the needle reaches the correct layer by itself 🙂
  • At 6 mm, a skin fold has to be made.
  • At 8 mm, the injection must be given at a 45° angle (8/1.414 = 5.7 mm).
Injecting into muscle is the danger: muscle holds blood vessels, and diffusion there works differently. A further hazard is tearing the fascia (the connective tissue sheath) when a large volume goes in. Infection can follow, and surgery is occasionally needed (you could wind up like Dr. House, with a piece of muscle gone).

The pen needles I normally use: 32g, 4mm BD (Embecta)

1ml syringes: 31g, 6mm
Same here — 4mm is what I settled on, and I've been using that size for a good stretch now. Really happy with these (Europe) Mylife Clickfine Pen Needles 4mm 32G, 100 pcs - for some reason I barely notice them going in.
 
jperiod said:

Reta has gone in 2x a week for 2 months now and pinning still isn't any easier. In fairness my husband does it for me, since I'm a big chicken! So a V4 pen is on order and hidden needles are the plan. In my amazon cart sit 33g 4mm pen tips, and I keep second guessing whether 6 mm would be wiser. Fluffy is a fair description of me, so fat is plentiful. With the pen cap on, will 4 mm reach deep enough?
When using the pen cap, 5 or 6 mm works noticeably better. Still, I'd advise against the pen cap, since the needle can bend if you don't put it on at a right angle.
 
Masil said:

eidos said:

GT, a pen manufacturer, has published a schema and documentation: https://ganleediabetes.com/needle/

  • At 4 or 5 mm, the needle reaches the correct layer by itself 🙂
  • At 6 mm, a skin fold has to be made.
  • At 8 mm, the injection must be given at a 45° angle (8/1.414 = 5.7 mm).
Injecting into muscle is the danger: muscle holds blood vessels, and diffusion there works differently. A further hazard is tearing the fascia (the connective tissue sheath) when a large volume goes in. Infection can follow, and surgery is occasionally needed (you could wind up like Dr. House, with a piece of muscle gone).

The pen needles I normally use: 32g, 4mm BD (Embecta)

1ml syringes: 31g, 6mm
Same here — 4mm is what I settled on, and I've been using that size for a good stretch now. Really happy with these (Europe) Mylife Clickfine Pen Needles 4mm 32G, 100 pcs - for some reason I barely notice them going in.

I appreciate it.

A 6 bevel design with silicone coating! I'll give it a shot, even though it costs double what BDs do.
 
jperiod said:

Mood said:

javajoe316 said:

I'd go with 6mm. Additionally, be sure to pick up the Novofine needle tips. The gluco-care tips aren't compatible with the v4 pen. They'll fit, but the cap that conceals the needle won't go on.

The Gluco-Care works, but only the standard version (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DL4WD4PW), not the Plus (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CTCPDT6Q). Learned that the hard way.

Pocket said:

CandyCap said:

jperiod said:

Reta has gone in 2x a week for 2 months now and pinning still isn't any easier. In fairness my husband does it for me, since I'm a big chicken! So a V4 pen is on order and hidden needles are the plan. In my amazon cart sit 33g 4mm pen tips, and I keep second guessing whether 6 mm would be wiser. Fluffy is a fair description of me, so fat is plentiful. With the pen cap on, will 4 mm reach deep enough?

My pick would be the 6mm option. With the shorter 4mm needles, ISRs are more likely to occur.
Ugh. I went ahead and bought an entire box in 4mm. I'll still go through with them since they're probably okay anyway. You learn from experience.
I'd have picked the 6mm as well. That said, if 4mm ends up being too short, they can still serve purposes like clearing carts after filling. Using them without the cap might work too.
I'm thinking about picking up the 4mm 33g, but every listing I see mentions "plus." What exactly is it that's incompatible with the V4?

On the non-plus version, the needle sits on a smaller base. The plus version won't pass through the opening at the tip of the v2/4 cap because it's too large. Using it without the cap is possible, but with the cap it won't work.

984af9d22627bf31d0d8e04c758588678dd29d8626315c8cd3e244ab6db00cdb.webp
 
Masil said:

eidos said:

GT, a pen manufacturer, has published a schema and documentation: https://ganleediabetes.com/needle/

  • At 4 or 5 mm, the needle reaches the correct layer by itself 🙂
  • At 6 mm, a skin fold has to be made.
  • At 8 mm, the injection must be given at a 45° angle (8/1.414 = 5.7 mm).
Injecting into muscle is the danger: muscle holds blood vessels, and diffusion there works differently. A further hazard is tearing the fascia (the connective tissue sheath) when a large volume goes in. Infection can follow, and surgery is occasionally needed (you could wind up like Dr. House, with a piece of muscle gone).

The pen needles I normally use: 32g, 4mm BD (Embecta)

1ml syringes: 31g, 6mm
Same here — 4mm is what I settled on, and I've been using that size for a good stretch now. Really happy with these (Europe) Mylife Clickfine Pen Needles 4mm 32G, 100 pcs - for some reason I barely notice them going in.
What type of pen are you using?
 
RascalRaccoon said:

For Tirz and Semax I'm using 4mm, while anything containing GHK-CU gets 8mm.

My prescription sema used to arrive with 4mm, so that's the size I bought a box of. After finishing this box, I'll test how the 8mm works for me, and if it doesn't, I'll move to 6mm.
What makes 8mm necessary when GHK-Cu is involved?
 
Back
Top