lessthanhalf said:
What you're after from the responses shapes this quite a bit. When accuracy in the scientific sense matters, my experience is that chatgpt in research/scholar mode performs quite well overall, though occasionally it produces clear factual mistakes or invents citations. Typically it will tell you that most peptides lack safety and proof as treatments, which may not match what you're hoping to hear. For me, it's been extremely helpful for breaking down studies, particularly when I'm trying to gauge how meaningful the results are, since my grasp of stats and the jargon around result significance isn't strong. It also helps when I come across a study that seems off—is that due to my limited grasp, or did the researchers make a logical mistake? All you have to do is paste the study in or share a link, then ask it to read and share its view.
For even better responses, I include the prompt "do not agree with me without providing evidence" to push back against their built-in inclination to side with you; if I'm mistaken or recalling something incorrectly, I'd rather find out. I also requested that it craft a prompt for me aimed at reducing hallucinations and boosting scientific precision, particularly for medical or biological research, and it generated a few pages of self-instructions that I paste into every new session. My knowledge of prompt engineering is pretty limited, but it likely "understands" far more. There's not much value in sharing it here—you can simply have it write one for you, using a few simple sentences about what you want it to accomplish.