Where oh where has my mg gone?

birdwhacker said:

Smiter said:

When I reconstituted the Reta, the same issue came up for me.. some fluid escaped past the filter, and since I'm a desperate sort, I licked it off. Did you draw the plunger back and then push air through the filter so the liquid would be forced back into the vial?

WLBLD said:

CharmanderInDisguise said:

Smiter said:

filter waste????
Like Smiter mentioned, don't filters usually hold onto a bit of liquid? Around 5 units stick around in a 4mm filter, while a 13mm one keeps roughly 15 units. And when you reach the end of a cartridge, isn't there still some liquid remaining? The tapered tip of most cartridges means the plunger can't reach all the way in. Might that explain the discrepancy in the numbers?
I do use a 13mm .22um — I had no idea that 15 stayed behind in it. Still, the 10mg came to 45units and the 34mg one was 53u. What caught me off guard today was finding nothing remaining once 3 doses were done. Guess I need to stick with higher mg vials, ha ha
I'll be honest, these figures are completely beyond my understanding. I'm sorry.
That's extremely based, Smiter. You and I would probably hit it off. I munch the stems as I'm loading the bowl.
capitalism wins...the vial belongs to us
 
Smiter said:

When I reconstituted the Reta, the same issue came up for me.. some fluid escaped past the filter, and since I'm a desperate sort, I licked it off. Did you draw the plunger back and then push air through the filter so the liquid would be forced back into the vial?

WLBLD said:

CharmanderInDisguise said:

Smiter said:

filter waste????
Like Smiter mentioned, don't filters usually hold onto a bit of liquid? Around 5 units stick around in a 4mm filter, while a 13mm one keeps roughly 15 units. And when you reach the end of a cartridge, isn't there still some liquid remaining? The tapered tip of most cartridges means the plunger can't reach all the way in. Might that explain the discrepancy in the numbers?
I do use a 13mm .22um — I had no idea that 15 stayed behind in it. Still, the 10mg came to 45units and the 34mg one was 53u. What caught me off guard today was finding nothing remaining once 3 doses were done. Guess I need to stick with higher mg vials, ha ha
I'll be honest, these figures are completely beyond my understanding. I'm sorry.
That gave me a chuckle!

To the OP: look into ways to cut down on, or get back, what's lost in the filter. Pushing air through can return a bit. Rinsing it out recovers more. If you wet the filter first, you keep the largest amount.

The catch is that every one of those steps needs a fresh needle (the air push is the exception). Still, you can work around it. One option: a cheap diabetic syringe works for pre-wetting the filter. Order LuerLok needles in bulk and the price drops to $.06/ea. That kind of thing.

One more thing to consider; test whether your pen is accurate. Mine came from Amazon and was way off. Usually it gave too little, though now and then too much.

A useful video about testing pens:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJdzUaAEC4o
 
Grogu said:

dancs said:

I run my vials through a filter on 2 separate occasions: the 1st pass is to address insufficient sterility, while the 2nd pass targets endotoxin levels. With a 10mg MOTS-c I used not long ago, roughly 7mg remained once filtering was done. 😭 Still, being "safER" beats the alternative. 👀

Sadly, endotoxins aren't eliminated by filtering, which means that extra filtration step mostly just burns through your supplies while creating another chance for contamination. Endos are simply too small for filters to catch. I've heard mentions of a specific charged filter variety that could potentially clear endotoxins—is that the kind you have? If it isn't, then running that second filter is introducing additional risk rather than lowering it.


https://www.vwr.com/us/en/product/7605181/acrodisc-units-with-mustang-e-membrane-cytiva-formerly-pall-lab?r=1


Whether this genuinely does anything, I can't say for certain — particularly if I opt for the less expensive version off amazon (50 for $250) — yet it lets me rest easier thinking it "might" provide some level of benefit!
 
The product description mentions that endotoxins get filtered out. I'd want to see actual test data backing that up. Should it hold true, that would really change things…
 
I don't use a pen, yet during my first reconstitution I somehow came up short by 30u. After looking into it yesterday evening, the most useful explanation I found was that "dead space" with every draw might be the cause. Beyond that, I have no idea how 30u could just vanish.
 
FallingAlice said:

I don't use a pen, yet during my first reconstitution I somehow came up short by 30u. After looking into it yesterday evening, the most useful explanation I found was that "dead space" with every draw might be the cause. Beyond that, I have no idea how 30u could just vanish.
Could be the filter, or maybe you measured wrong or lost a little. 3mg is a fair amount.
 
Grogu said:

WLBLD said:

Smiter said:

WLBLD said:

Smiter said:

Okay, class is over and I can finally focus. So explain it to me clearly now. You took a 10mg Reta vial, added 1ml BAC, which gives you 1ml of Reta at 10mg per ml. After that, what went down?

WLBLD said:

CharmanderInDisguise said:

Are those two actually at different concentrations? Did you use needles of the same size and length for each one?

Peptide Critic - Filter Loss
Yep, I'm still working through that same pack of 32g 4mm tips.

So I went and looked into it, and apparently as much as 29u (the range given was 10-29) can stay behind in there. That clears up quite a bit. Whatever else was missing probably came from the 1st prime plus the leftovers sitting in the cart
The vial holds 10mg, and I mixed in 1ml of H-bac, meaning each 10units equals 1mg.
Exactly. So following that reconstitution, what took place?
Honestly, I have no better idea than you do, ha ha. My best theory is that the filter ate it.

Still, I'm fine with paying the filter tax/pen tax 🙂

Losing 45 units from those 10mg/1mL vials goes far past what a filter would normally retain. A few other explanations come to mind:

  • The pen could be delivering an incorrect # of units
  • The user might have administered the wrong # of units (with the 10mg this is less likely, since the math is straightforward)
  • The syringe used to draw the bac water may be out of calibration (unlikely)

Among those, the pen delivering wrong seems most likely. Which pen model do you have, and have you run any test on it?
Yeah, it's really odd. The only thing I can figure is that some was left behind in the filter, and then perhaps a little extra got purged out. I'm not sure, ha ha. Every time, I've been verifying—and at least 2 of us confirm—that I'm using the correct number, and we recalculate for the bigger milligram cartridge each time (the 10 is so simple, ha ha). After reading some of those stories, I really don't want to slip up.

I ran the pen through several tests. It's a Mrs Goodlife; we own a few of them. When pressed slowly, it measured accurately. I doubt I'm receiving extra (if that were true, I'd probably be seeing better outcomes, ha ha).
 
deluge said:

Smiter said:

When I reconstituted the Reta, the same issue came up for me.. some fluid escaped past the filter, and since I'm a desperate sort, I licked it off. Did you draw the plunger back and then push air through the filter so the liquid would be forced back into the vial?

WLBLD said:

CharmanderInDisguise said:

Smiter said:

filter waste????
Like Smiter mentioned, don't filters usually hold onto a bit of liquid? Around 5 units stick around in a 4mm filter, while a 13mm one keeps roughly 15 units. And when you reach the end of a cartridge, isn't there still some liquid remaining? The tapered tip of most cartridges means the plunger can't reach all the way in. Might that explain the discrepancy in the numbers?
I do use a 13mm .22um — I had no idea that 15 stayed behind in it. Still, the 10mg came to 45units and the 34mg one was 53u. What caught me off guard today was finding nothing remaining once 3 doses were done. Guess I need to stick with higher mg vials, ha ha
I'll be honest, these figures are completely beyond my understanding. I'm sorry.
That gave me a chuckle!

To the OP: look into ways to cut down on, or get back, what's lost in the filter. Pushing air through can return a bit. Rinsing it out recovers more. If you wet the filter first, you keep the largest amount.

The catch is that every one of those steps needs a fresh needle (the air push is the exception). Still, you can work around it. One option: a cheap diabetic syringe works for pre-wetting the filter. Order LuerLok needles in bulk and the price drops to $.06/ea. That kind of thing.

One more thing to consider; test whether your pen is accurate. Mine came from Amazon and was way off. Usually it gave too little, though now and then too much.

A useful video about testing pens:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJdzUaAEC4o
Appreciate it — purging is something I only recently came across (and by then I'd already mixed up everything I currently have). Next round I'm absolutely doing it. Typically I'll prep 2-3 carts in one go (last time it was more, because Tirz can be frozen)

My purchases were in bulk — over 100 — so I've got plenty of extras

I ran the numbers multiple times at different doses. If larger doses were hitting me sooner, I'd probably be further along, ha ha

Thanks!!
 
FallingAlice said:

I don't use a pen, yet during my first reconstitution I somehow came up short by 30u. After looking into it yesterday evening, the most useful explanation I found was that "dead space" with every draw might be the cause. Beyond that, I have no idea how 30u could just vanish.
It's wild that this occurs even when using vials and syringes🤷‍♀️
 
BNLFL said:

FallingAlice said:

I don't use a pen, yet during my first reconstitution I somehow came up short by 30u. After looking into it yesterday evening, the most useful explanation I found was that "dead space" with every draw might be the cause. Beyond that, I have no idea how 30u could just vanish.
Could be the filter, or maybe you measured wrong or lost a little. 3mg is a fair amount.
At first I also suspected the filter, but now I'm leaning toward it being connected to the insulin syringes or the sterile vials in some way. A kit is being split between my husband, my best friend, and me, so the recon was done by us together. I asked her to verify the measurements again. Since we're fairly rural and she didn't want to transport predrawn syringes, I prepared her units for the month's dose, and she checked them once more before I put them into a new sterile vial. She is short 10u, and I was short 20. Next time around I'll use different syringes to see whether anything changes.
 
WLBLD said:

FallingAlice said:

I don't use a pen, yet during my first reconstitution I somehow came up short by 30u. After looking into it yesterday evening, the most useful explanation I found was that "dead space" with every draw might be the cause. Beyond that, I have no idea how 30u could just vanish.
It's wild that this occurs even when using vials and syringes🤷‍♀️
That was my assumption as well, since I'm certain my measurements were correct — this just left me somewhat puzzled.
 
FallingAlice said:

WLBLD said:

FallingAlice said:

I don't use a pen, yet during my first reconstitution I somehow came up short by 30u. After looking into it yesterday evening, the most useful explanation I found was that "dead space" with every draw might be the cause. Beyond that, I have no idea how 30u could just vanish.
It's wild that this occurs even when using vials and syringes🤷‍♀️
That was my assumption as well, since I'm certain my measurements were correct — this just left me somewhat puzzled.
This is wild. Could it be evaporation? That's the only remaining explanation I can come up with
 
FallingAlice said:

BNLFL said:

FallingAlice said:

I don't use a pen, yet during my first reconstitution I somehow came up short by 30u. After looking into it yesterday evening, the most useful explanation I found was that "dead space" with every draw might be the cause. Beyond that, I have no idea how 30u could just vanish.
Could be the filter, or maybe you measured wrong or lost a little. 3mg is a fair amount.
At first I also suspected the filter, but now I'm leaning toward it being connected to the insulin syringes or the sterile vials in some way. A kit is being split between my husband, my best friend, and me, so the recon was done by us together. I asked her to verify the measurements again. Since we're fairly rural and she didn't want to transport predrawn syringes, I prepared her units for the month's dose, and she checked them once more before I put them into a new sterile vial. She is short 10u, and I was short 20. Next time around I'll use different syringes to see whether anything changes.
My guess is that during reconstitution, your eyes were on the bottom of the plunger rather than the tip.
 
deluge said:

Smiter said:

When I reconstituted the Reta, the same issue came up for me.. some fluid escaped past the filter, and since I'm a desperate sort, I licked it off. Did you draw the plunger back and then push air through the filter so the liquid would be forced back into the vial?

WLBLD said:

CharmanderInDisguise said:

Smiter said:

filter waste????
Like Smiter mentioned, don't filters usually hold onto a bit of liquid? Around 5 units stick around in a 4mm filter, while a 13mm one keeps roughly 15 units. And when you reach the end of a cartridge, isn't there still some liquid remaining? The tapered tip of most cartridges means the plunger can't reach all the way in. Might that explain the discrepancy in the numbers?
I do use a 13mm .22um — I had no idea that 15 stayed behind in it. Still, the 10mg came to 45units and the 34mg one was 53u. What caught me off guard today was finding nothing remaining once 3 doses were done. Guess I need to stick with higher mg vials, ha ha
I'll be honest, these figures are completely beyond my understanding. I'm sorry.
That gave me a chuckle!

To the OP: look into ways to cut down on, or get back, what's lost in the filter. Pushing air through can return a bit. Rinsing it out recovers more. If you wet the filter first, you keep the largest amount.

The catch is that every one of those steps needs a fresh needle (the air push is the exception). Still, you can work around it. One option: a cheap diabetic syringe works for pre-wetting the filter. Order LuerLok needles in bulk and the price drops to $.06/ea. That kind of thing.

One more thing to consider; test whether your pen is accurate. Mine came from Amazon and was way off. Usually it gave too little, though now and then too much.

A useful video about testing pens:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJdzUaAEC4o
When you say prewetting the filter, are you talking about running bac through the filter first, before you filter the mixed liquid?
 
Dilbert4Life said:

deluge said:

Smiter said:

When I reconstituted the Reta, the same issue came up for me.. some fluid escaped past the filter, and since I'm a desperate sort, I licked it off. Did you draw the plunger back and then push air through the filter so the liquid would be forced back into the vial?

WLBLD said:

CharmanderInDisguise said:

Smiter said:

filter waste????
Like Smiter mentioned, don't filters usually hold onto a bit of liquid? Around 5 units stick around in a 4mm filter, while a 13mm one keeps roughly 15 units. And when you reach the end of a cartridge, isn't there still some liquid remaining? The tapered tip of most cartridges means the plunger can't reach all the way in. Might that explain the discrepancy in the numbers?
I do use a 13mm .22um — I had no idea that 15 stayed behind in it. Still, the 10mg came to 45units and the 34mg one was 53u. What caught me off guard today was finding nothing remaining once 3 doses were done. Guess I need to stick with higher mg vials, ha ha
I'll be honest, these figures are completely beyond my understanding. I'm sorry.
That gave me a chuckle!

To the OP: look into ways to cut down on, or get back, what's lost in the filter. Pushing air through can return a bit. Rinsing it out recovers more. If you wet the filter first, you keep the largest amount.

The catch is that every one of those steps needs a fresh needle (the air push is the exception). Still, you can work around it. One option: a cheap diabetic syringe works for pre-wetting the filter. Order LuerLok needles in bulk and the price drops to $.06/ea. That kind of thing.

One more thing to consider; test whether your pen is accurate. Mine came from Amazon and was way off. Usually it gave too little, though now and then too much.

A useful video about testing pens:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJdzUaAEC4o
When you say prewetting the filter, are you talking about running bac through the filter first, before you filter the mixed liquid?
Right, that's the idea. A dry filter would soak up the peptide you just reconstituted, but if it's already wet, it takes in water instead, so (theoretically) a greater amount of the reconstituted peptide makes it through.

I skip that step entirely these days, and I don't even flush the filter anymore. Once I'm finished, I simply air purge it. Diminishing returns, you know.

I've yet to come across a video comparing how much you can get back using air purge versus flushing, pre-wetting, and so on; still, I'd be interested to see what the numbers show.
 
I dont know either. I

BNLFL said:

FallingAlice said:

BNLFL said:

FallingAlice said:

I don't use a pen, yet during my first reconstitution I somehow came up short by 30u. After looking into it yesterday evening, the most useful explanation I found was that "dead space" with every draw might be the cause. Beyond that, I have no idea how 30u could just vanish.
Could be the filter, or maybe you measured wrong or lost a little. 3mg is a fair amount.
At first I also suspected the filter, but now I'm leaning toward it being connected to the insulin syringes or the sterile vials in some way. A kit is being split between my husband, my best friend, and me, so the recon was done by us together. I asked her to verify the measurements again. Since we're fairly rural and she didn't want to transport predrawn syringes, I prepared her units for the month's dose, and she checked them once more before I put them into a new sterile vial. She is short 10u, and I was short 20. Next time around I'll use different syringes to see whether anything changes.
My guess is that during reconstitution, your eyes were on the bottom of the plunger rather than the tip.
That isnt what I think it is; 20 years as a nurse means I know my way around all of this. (Filters were the only new piece for me). On top of that, my bff checked every measurement after me. Reconstitution day is this week though, so a couple of things are getting adjusted to see how it goes this time!
 
Back
Top