Where do you draw the line? Clinical vs. Ancient vs. Biohacking?

MTSpace

Explorer
Joined
Mar 6, 2026
Messages
145
Reaction score
0
Location
Orlando, FL
Once peptides entered the picture, my whole approach to health care shifted. I see it split into 3 paths:

Clinical Science (Trials): Strict and slow-moving. When the question is safety, it shines, yet approvals and rejections can drag on for years. Because it focuses on what works for the "average" person, individual nuance gets lost.

Ancient Traditional Medicine: Built from thousands of years of human observation. For the long haul it is superb, but when a fast, targeted correction is needed, it crawls. Ancient medicine was honed and kept alive through survival of the fittest plus sharp pattern recognition.

Biohacking (Peptides): Here we take health into our own hands. A mix of “bro” science, some clinical data, and anecdotal evidence is used to better our lives, rather than sitting around for years while big drug companies & government grant us access.

Since I began peptides, I no longer wait for "official permission" to better my health. My own tracking is what I lean on. Every 8 weeks I get blood work done, turning my personal experiments into data, and I keep vital stats daily. Ancient medicine and current FDA approved medicine are still part of my routine, but biohacking now occupies a much bigger share of my engagement in my personal healthcare.

Where do you draw your lines? How much do you rely on official doctor protocols versus ancient/traditional medicine, or doing your own tracking & testing as a biohacker? Has anyone considered leaving the biohacking field? I believe I will biohack in some form until I have departed this world.
 
Same here. All 3 approaches are part of my routine. For prevention, I lean on ancient traditional medicine, but if a UTI flares up, the only way to avoid misery is prescription antibiotics. Alongside a lengthy daily regimen of supplements and peptides, I keep prescription medications on hand for whenever they're needed. At 47, I'm grateful to have no permanent prescriptions, and because of my family history, I'm putting in serious effort to steer clear of the diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc. that runs in my family.
 
laansasa said:

Same here. All 3 approaches are part of my routine. For prevention, I lean on ancient traditional medicine, but if a UTI flares up, the only way to avoid misery is prescription antibiotics. Alongside a lengthy daily regimen of supplements and peptides, I keep prescription medications on hand for whenever they're needed. At 47, I'm grateful to have no permanent prescriptions, and because of my family history, I'm putting in serious effort to steer clear of the diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc. that runs in my family.
At 47, staying off any long-term prescription could make you a unicorn! 💪
 
BNLFL said:

MTSpace said:

Hitting 47 without being locked into lifelong prescriptions might just make you a rare breed! 💪
It only happened once I reached 62.
Sadly, Addison’s Disease put me on medication from age 28 onward. Still, nearly every friend I have who is in their 50’s takes something long-term. Making it to 62 with nothing is impressive.
 
Solid framework, but I’d argue a 4th bucket exists that falls somewhere between formal science and biohacking: the way modern medicine is really delivered. That includes FDA-cleared drugs, care overseen by physicians, long-standing treatment standards, and so on. It’s not the same as the plodding clinical trial apparatus.

Personally, I pull from both extremes. I track the primary literature and the clinical pipeline closely enough that by the time a therapy gets approved, I’ve typically been reviewing the data for a while already.

For me, mechanism is what distinguishes smart self-direction from just guessing. If I can’t articulate why a thing ought to work biologically, I stay doubtful no matter which bucket it originates from. I don’t personally rely much on traditional medicine; science is my constant reference point, and anecdotes function as a way to generate hypotheses, not as proof.

I remind my dad (87) that modern healthcare is the reason he’s still here, plus the fact that he’s taken advantage of medical services his whole life. As a kid it irritated me that we leaned so heavily on the healthcare system. Bring up any complaint and off to the doctor you went. Now that I’m in my mid 50s, I’ve got a whole roster of doctors. I suppose the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.😂
 
Good call on that 4th category.

My PCP is excellent—he points me toward journals and articles covering the newest and best research tied to the health problems my family or I are facing. What sets him apart is that he lets me go beyond the usual boundaries, provided I've looked into and grasp the known pros and cons of whatever route I pick. I've always sensed that he treats me as someone who can take part in and steer my own care. I'm still learning by doing.
 
MTSpace said:

Good call on that 4th category.

My PCP is excellent—he points me toward journals and articles covering the newest and best research tied to the health problems my family or I are facing. What sets him apart is that he lets me go beyond the usual boundaries, provided I've looked into and grasp the known pros and cons of whatever route I pick. I've always sensed that he treats me as someone who can take part in and steer my own care. I'm still learning by doing.

Having a pcp like that is a real stroke of luck — yours sounds great. Mine comes through Amazon, believe it or not 🤣. Honestly though, she's really good, and using the One Medical platform is super handy (which makes sense given it's Amazon), though the trade-off is that the practice runs on corporate risk management. That works for me, since I'd rather not have grey use show up in my medical records.
 
People disagree about whether to tell your physician what you're doing with "outside treatment plans/biohacking," and of course your relationship with your doctor is its own situation—especially when that doctor comes through Amazon, which is among the biggest hoarders of personal data on the planet.

In my case I got lucky: my doctor even assisted me in finding my very first peptide purchase and backed me fully. I simply inquired whether those peptides could be obtained via prescription, since I didn't know any better, and his answer was no. But then he offered to help me so that I could correctly and safely use the right peptides for whatever condition was being addressed, because in his view it was a legitimate route. That was my introduction to the gray market. Thanks, Doc 🙂.
 
laansasa said:

Same here. All 3 approaches are part of my routine. For prevention, I lean on ancient traditional medicine, but if a UTI flares up, the only way to avoid misery is prescription antibiotics. Alongside a lengthy daily regimen of supplements and peptides, I keep prescription medications on hand for whenever they're needed. At 47, I'm grateful to have no permanent prescriptions, and because of my family history, I'm putting in serious effort to steer clear of the diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc. that runs in my family.
I'm in the same boat — 53 years old, and I've never been on any prescription medication for the long haul, nor am I now. I do keep a stash of various antibiotics around in case some ailment pops up, plus a few everyday OTC items in my cabinet.

Every single day it's my Flintstones vitamins and my peps, and that's about it — maybe a Tylenol here and there. Honestly, I'm not sure I even have a line....lol
 
This might not be a popular take, but I keep running into doctors telling me I'm an outlier or that my responses don't match the norm. So I usually lean toward the ancient approach or digging into things myself, since that's what actually works in my case.
 
SeaGypsy said:

laansasa said:

Same here. All 3 approaches are part of my routine. For prevention, I lean on ancient traditional medicine, but if a UTI flares up, the only way to avoid misery is prescription antibiotics. Alongside a lengthy daily regimen of supplements and peptides, I keep prescription medications on hand for whenever they're needed. At 47, I'm grateful to have no permanent prescriptions, and because of my family history, I'm putting in serious effort to steer clear of the diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc. that runs in my family.
I'm in the same boat — 53 years old, and I've never been on any prescription medication for the long haul, nor am I now. I do keep a stash of various antibiotics around in case some ailment pops up, plus a few everyday OTC items in my cabinet.

Every single day it's my Flintstones vitamins and my peps, and that's about it — maybe a Tylenol here and there. Honestly, I'm not sure I even have a line....lol
My guess is the Flintstone Vitamins. BamBam. lol. Great that pharma no longer has a hold on you.
 
That's a really thought-provoking perspective.

When it comes to the general safety of the average population, I see clinical trials as essential. After all, tailoring every single medication to individuals with highly specific symptoms simply isn't practical—neither the time nor the money would allow it.

Your second point really resonates with me. In my own industry, there are numerous clinical studies that back up these traditional remedies (roots, teas, leaf extracts, and so on). It's always satisfying to watch the distance between anecdotal reports and actual outcomes shrink because of scientific inquiry. My company carries a wide range of botanicals in its portfolio, and many of them are marketed in the health and nutrition space.
 
flapjacks said:

This might not be a popular take, but I keep running into doctors telling me I'm an outlier or that my responses don't match the norm. So I usually lean toward the ancient approach or digging into things myself, since that's what actually works in my case.
A lot of us don't fit the usual mold. Sometimes that works in our favor, and sometimes it doesn't (in my case, it definitely doesn't)!
 
MTSpace said:

laansasa said:

Same here. All 3 approaches are part of my routine. For prevention, I lean on ancient traditional medicine, but if a UTI flares up, the only way to avoid misery is prescription antibiotics. Alongside a lengthy daily regimen of supplements and peptides, I keep prescription medications on hand for whenever they're needed. At 47, I'm grateful to have no permanent prescriptions, and because of my family history, I'm putting in serious effort to steer clear of the diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc. that runs in my family.
At 47, staying off any long-term prescription could make you a unicorn! 💪
Honestly, I think I got off easy. On both sides of my family, chronic conditions show up — diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and so on — yet my own problems ended up being different: a benign thyroid goiter, insomnia, low ferritin, lethargy, UTIs, and more. What probably protected me was that, thanks to part of my genetics, I stayed very thin for most of my life. That changed in my late 30s, when I suddenly gained 40 lbs (I'm only 5'1). I shed all of it without intervention — partly out of vanity, partly because I was afraid of the conditions listed above. These days, though, weight is a fight: not obesity, but stubborn fat that simply refuses to stay off.
 
SeaGypsy said:

laansasa said:

Same here. All 3 approaches are part of my routine. For prevention, I lean on ancient traditional medicine, but if a UTI flares up, the only way to avoid misery is prescription antibiotics. Alongside a lengthy daily regimen of supplements and peptides, I keep prescription medications on hand for whenever they're needed. At 47, I'm grateful to have no permanent prescriptions, and because of my family history, I'm putting in serious effort to steer clear of the diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc. that runs in my family.
I'm in the same boat — 53 years old, and I've never been on any prescription medication for the long haul, nor am I now. I do keep a stash of various antibiotics around in case some ailment pops up, plus a few everyday OTC items in my cabinet.

Every single day it's my Flintstones vitamins and my peps, and that's about it — maybe a Tylenol here and there. Honestly, I'm not sure I even have a line....lol
Haha, Flintstone vitamins! Those bring back memories. That flavor was like chalk combined with dry Kool-Aid powder and fish tank pebbles!

That's awesome that at 53 you don't take any long-term medication! 🙌 #goals
 
The initial step toward recovery is pinpointing the problems. It sounds like you already understand which areas require focus. The next question is which method you'll use to address them.
 
laansasa said:

SeaGypsy said:

laansasa said:

Same here. All 3 approaches are part of my routine. For prevention, I lean on ancient traditional medicine, but if a UTI flares up, the only way to avoid misery is prescription antibiotics. Alongside a lengthy daily regimen of supplements and peptides, I keep prescription medications on hand for whenever they're needed. At 47, I'm grateful to have no permanent prescriptions, and because of my family history, I'm putting in serious effort to steer clear of the diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc. that runs in my family.
I'm in the same boat — 53 years old, and I've never been on any prescription medication for the long haul, nor am I now. I do keep a stash of various antibiotics around in case some ailment pops up, plus a few everyday OTC items in my cabinet.

Every single day it's my Flintstones vitamins and my peps, and that's about it — maybe a Tylenol here and there. Honestly, I'm not sure I even have a line....lol
Haha, Flintstone vitamins! Those bring back memories. That flavor was like chalk combined with dry Kool-Aid powder and fish tank pebbles!

That's awesome that at 53 you don't take any long-term medication! 🙌 #goals
What a spot-on way to put it 😂😂😂

Also, the flavor is exactly the same as before!!!!
 
laansasa said:

MTSpace said:

laansasa said:

Same here. All 3 approaches are part of my routine. For prevention, I lean on ancient traditional medicine, but if a UTI flares up, the only way to avoid misery is prescription antibiotics. Alongside a lengthy daily regimen of supplements and peptides, I keep prescription medications on hand for whenever they're needed. At 47, I'm grateful to have no permanent prescriptions, and because of my family history, I'm putting in serious effort to steer clear of the diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc. that runs in my family.
At 47, staying off any long-term prescription could make you a unicorn! 💪
Honestly, I think I got off easy. On both sides of my family, chronic conditions show up — diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and so on — yet my own problems ended up being different: a benign thyroid goiter, insomnia, low ferritin, lethargy, UTIs, and more. What probably protected me was that, thanks to part of my genetics, I stayed very thin for most of my life. That changed in my late 30s, when I suddenly gained 40 lbs (I'm only 5'1). I shed all of it without intervention — partly out of vanity, partly because I was afraid of the conditions listed above. These days, though, weight is a fight: not obesity, but stubborn fat that simply refuses to stay off.
Dude, that's genetic dodgeball you're caught up in! Here's hoping you can sidestep and slip past the whole mess! Part of me wishes I'd gotten that 1 skinny gene, but nope — in every group I was the fat 1
 
Back
Top