Grogu said:
I’ve been thinking about your point about the generalizability of clinical study results when the study participant selection criterion is constrained and if the results from most (if not all) the clinical trials on glp-1 medications can be imputed upon the general population.
I looked at the SURMOUNT-1 participant criterion and it’s fairly restrictive. More restrictive than I originally remembered. But most of the protocol appears to be centered on finding generally healthy folks who meet the treatment criteria and don’t have confounding medical conditions which could affect the results or cause harm to the participant. For example, excluding people with a medical history of MTC or MEN or lifetime history of suicide attempt is probably because these are low in the general population. These two are clearly about no harm to the participant. But I’m sure that study researchers spend significant amount of time on these decisions so that the results are generalizable, otherwise the FDA wouldn’t accept the results. They probably have to justify the criterion with science.
TL/DR, just because there is a participant selection criterion and that everyone isn’t eligible to participate in the study doesn’t mean that the results can’t be extrapolated to the population.
Click to expand...
I appreciate the considered reply. Looking at the participant data, was there any indication that any of the test subjects were younger than 48yo? (It’s entirely possible I’m misreading the table, but that appears to be the youngest age.) And assuming I’ve got it right, 100% of those enrolled were “overweight or obese”.
Here in the untamed Wild West of rat experiments, there are people (myself included) whose BMIs have never gone beyond a high “normal”.
I truly wasn’t trying to take a shot at the experiments, since I don’t see myself as a scientist (and I hold no degree that would imply otherwise.) So I welcome being set straight by those who are better at parsing study summaries (you likely fall into that group).
My only point is that the New York Times took a statistic and boiled it down into a false claim by applying the broad brush “people”.
It could absolutely be accurate that 10% of the population Eli Lilly hopes will be future consumers (overweight/obese people) are what the science calls non-responders. I can’t say. (Like I mentioned, were they truly all over 48 years old?) I suspect the FDA would in fact prefer the study to center on the intended audience for the treatment under investigation, which is what happened.
I simply don’t believe the study demonstrated that 10% of “people” are non-responders. That wasn’t what the study set out to do. This isn’t me attacking the study. Honestly, for all we know, if you took the entire global population that gets called “people” (which would have to include babies and children and gym bros looking to cut for a show and folks like me who wanna lose 15 pounds), 30% could be non-responders. And no, I’m not suggesting studies should be run on babies. My point is only that “people” is an extremely, extremely broad word. It’s the whole circle in the Venn diagram of things, right?
I think there’s a troubling pattern of trying to stretch meaning out of data sets from studies that had one purpose (here, “assess the efficacy and safety of retatrutide in obese patients with or without diabetes”), and then drawing secondary conclusions.
If a study were designed to establish the percentage of the population of people as a whole who are non-responders to retatrutide, the study population would need to be widened, wouldn’t it?
Again, I’m not a scientist, but… my issue isn’t really with the science here. It’s with how the English language is being used. Because if the New York Times is willing to be that sloppy with the English language in this case, then what other headlines don’t actually line up with reality? And I think we all know that’s a slippery slope in media and I hate to see it continue. I also feel like I’ve been on my soapbox long enough, and I never intended this to turn into such a heated point of contention.
