When sema does nothing, do tirz or reta work better for non-responders?

HungryBarbie

Explorer
Joined
May 7, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Europe
For around 6 months my husband used sema, going as high as 1 mg. It did absolutely nothing for him. Appetite wasn't reduced, no pounds came off. All he noticed was feeling "tired". If he switches to other agonists such as tirz or reta, is there a greater likelihood it would work? Anyone here dealt with non-responders?
 
Sadly, no scientific studies exist on this topic as of now. My advice would be to jump straight to reta, because if someone responds poorly to glp-1 agonists, that poor response may not carry over to a drug that also acts on gip and glucagon, or to cagri or eloralintide, since those work through a completely different system, amylin. Poor response to GLP drugs can stem from genetic variants in the GLP-1 receptor itself or in downstream signalling pathways, and that is likely why 5-10% of people shed little or no weight while taking them. Down the road there will be research into how to handle this situation, but right now there is none. In my view the chances of a poor response to tirz or reta are quite high, certainly above average, yet there is no solid data to rely on. Still, for most people these are incredible drugs, so it is worth devoting a month or 2 or 3 to trying reta and seeing whether it appears to work. If it does not, then move on to cagri or eloralintide.

On ozempic I cannot claim to have lost any weight, since I spent a year at low doses; the whole time it left me tired, somewhat ill and somewhat nauseated, though it did cut appetite a little, which made it slightly easier to hold onto a 70 kg weight loss. Fortunately 15mg of tirz plus 5mg of reta plus 0.5mg of cagri gave far better appetite suppression and less nausea than 0.8mg/week of ozempic, and over the following year I dropped another 14 kg or so on that combination
 
Response rates can be influenced by quite a few different factors.

Type 2 diabetes is 1 of them, as are some drugs, Gabapentin for instance.

A lot of folks who moved from Sema over to Tirz or Reta ended up seeing improved outcomes.

In my opinion, it makes sense to explore Tirz or Reta before dismissing all glps entirely.
 
Sema was my drug for close to a year. The first two months took off 10 lbs and after that, nothing. Appetite barely moved and I felt awful. Moving over to Reta changed everything.
 
HungryBarbie said:

For around 6 months my husband used sema, going as high as 1 mg. It did absolutely nothing for him. Appetite wasn't reduced, no pounds came off. All he noticed was feeling "tired". If he switches to other agonists such as tirz or reta, is there a greater likelihood it would work? Anyone here dealt with non-responders?
I might be able to shed some light on this!

I was prescribed sema by my PCP and titrated up over 3 months. I got some appetite suppression but felt fatigued. I lost no weight across those 3 months and my PCP took me off it.

Then I got a Mounjaro (lowest dose) — minor nausea from it, but I did lose some weight (probably water weight) the same week I took it. No fatigue, and a big drop in my eating habits (can't stand the sight of fried food, can't overeat as easily, etc.)

1 week after the Mounjaro I got hold of reta (which I'm on now). At 4 weeks I'm down 7lbs (I began on 1mg and I'm now on 2mg). Not as dramatic as some, but I'm also exercising and taking Creatine and Whey powder protein. I hope the slow weight loss is partly muscle; I've definitely dropped half a shirt size. I was in XXL and my XLs fit comfortably again now. I can see the changes even if nobody would comment on them yet (slimmer face, and my belly stopped portruding). Oddly I now crave fiber and salads, and fried food still doesn't sit easily (last night I ate 2 french fries, but the whole salad on my plate I wanted more of).

So yes — a good chance of reacting well to Tirz or Retra even when Sema did nothing for you, that's my anecdote. Really excited to carry on 🙂
 
lessthanhalf said:

Sadly, no scientific studies exist on this topic as of now. My advice would be to jump straight to reta, because if someone responds poorly to glp-1 agonists, that poor response may not carry over to a drug that also acts on gip and glucagon, or to cagri or eloralintide, since those work through a completely different system, amylin. Poor response to GLP drugs can stem from genetic variants in the GLP-1 receptor itself or in downstream signalling pathways, and that is likely why 5-10% of people shed little or no weight while taking them. Down the road there will be research into how to handle this situation, but right now there is none. In my view the chances of a poor response to tirz or reta are quite high, certainly above average, yet there is no solid data to rely on. Still, for most people these are incredible drugs, so it is worth devoting a month or 2 or 3 to trying reta and seeing whether it appears to work. If it does not, then move on to cagri or eloralintide.

On ozempic I cannot claim to have lost any weight, since I spent a year at low doses; the whole time it left me tired, somewhat ill and somewhat nauseated, though it did cut appetite a little, which made it slightly easier to hold onto a 70 kg weight loss. Fortunately 15mg of tirz plus 5mg of reta plus 0.5mg of cagri gave far better appetite suppression and less nausea than 0.8mg/week of ozempic, and over the following year I dropped another 14 kg or so on that combination
Same here — I gave ozempic and tirzepatide a shot. Neither did much beyond slightly blunting my appetite, and the scale never moved,
 
Back
Top