What's the longest stretch you've stayed on Reta without pausing?

Gordito

Explorer
Joined
Jul 9, 2026
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Perth, Western Australia
Curious about how long folks here have continuously used Reta. After a good while, does it stop working as well? Are there any additional symptoms or side effects that show up with extended use? I know plenty of side effects are typical when people first begin and while they increase the dose. What I'm more interested in is the long-term picture. I've noticed some people lower their dose and switch into maintenance mode for a period. Would really appreciate any thoughts, particularly from those who've been using it longer. Thanks to everyone.
 
10 months for me. No matter the dose, it kept working. After roughly 2 months, all the big side effects stopped. I once went up to 12 mg, and these days I'm at 8 mg; my plan is to hold at 6 mg over the long haul, though I'm not sure yet how that will turn out. I already gave 6 mg a shot for 1 week, but the appetite came roaring back by the time my next pin was due. When I do settle at 6 mg, I'll likely split the dose to see whether that smooths things out.
 
Chili777 said:

10 months for me. No matter the dose, it kept working. After roughly 2 months, all the big side effects stopped. I once went up to 12 mg, and these days I'm at 8 mg; my plan is to hold at 6 mg over the long haul, though I'm not sure yet how that will turn out. I already gave 6 mg a shot for 1 week, but the appetite came roaring back by the time my next pin was due. When I do settle at 6 mg, I'll likely split the dose to see whether that smooths things out.
I've only been at this for a month, and I split my dose — that approach really appears to make a difference for me.
 
Redz said:

Chili777 said:

10 months for me. No matter the dose, it kept working. After roughly 2 months, all the big side effects stopped. I once went up to 12 mg, and these days I'm at 8 mg; my plan is to hold at 6 mg over the long haul, though I'm not sure yet how that will turn out. I already gave 6 mg a shot for 1 week, but the appetite came roaring back by the time my next pin was due. When I do settle at 6 mg, I'll likely split the dose to see whether that smooths things out.
I've only been at this for a month, and I split my dose — that approach really appears to make a difference for me.
When I was moving up in dose, 4 mg per week did the job nicely. When I reversed course and stepped back down, it didn't hold up nearly as well. That said, it stands to reason, given how long I'd been sitting at higher levels.
 
From my perspective, this is a treatment you stay on for the very long haul — probably permanently — unless you weren't obese to begin with. Long-term reta research is still much thinner, but sema and tirz have both shown remarkably positive long-term outcomes, and those benefits will almost certainly carry over to reta. So remaining on it isn't harmful; it lowers your chances of diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cardiovascular disease, strokes, cancers, possibly even dementia. Broadly speaking, the more obese, the older, and the less healthy you are overall, the bigger those effects get. There's even some data from epigenetic aging marker studies suggesting these drugs slow the aging process itself.

So if you're overweight with any health problems, or obese, staying on it helps you — and if you're at high risk, higher doses beat lower ones. Beyond those reasons, with reta or any GLP, the ideal is really to lose the weight one final time and then simply remain on it so the weight stays off; it's nearly that straightforward. The majority of people who quit GLP's after shedding weight put it back on. Some folks prefer lower maintenance doses, which makes sense when side effects are present or your diabetes or heart disease risk isn't high, and a portion of them do hold the weight off at lower doses. But at the severe end of obesity, there are strong arguments for staying on full doses long term or forever, provided side effects aren't an issue.

If the extra weight is short term or situational — say, kilos gained after an injury that kept you from exercising for a long stretch — and you drop the weight and rebuild very healthy eating and exercise patterns that you successfully lock in as firmly established habits, without having to consciously manage how much you eat to avoid regaining, then you might not need to remain on them. Yet as best I can tell, that scenario is truly uncommon. For most people, obesity is a very long term problem.
 
7 months straight, never paused. For me it has worked really well, and I haven't had any genuine side effects. The only thing I'd point to is sleep, though waking up at 4AM may just be routine by now. Each dose lasted 4 weeks, administered once weekly. I began at 2mg and gradually increased up to 9mg. Now I'm moving to a maintenance dose, and on Friday I took 6mg. Let's see how it goes. This stuff is something I'll stay on permanently.
 
I've used it weekly for 10 months. My starting dose was 1 mg per week, and I've gradually increased it to 8 mg. For the past 16 days I haven't taken any, since I got my first big kidney stone and passing it has been extremely slow. It finally came out last night, and I'll probably start again this week at 4 or 6 mg. I've dropped over 90 lb, so I'm thinking about figuring out what my maintenance dose should be. One thing I'll mention: during these 16 days my weight has stayed stable, no gain, apart from fluid retention from the kidney stone. My appetite also hasn't been totally out of control. That gives me some hope that I might be able to taper off it entirely at some point.
 
For me, it's been roughly 2ish years. I stayed at the same dose for maintenance for about 1.5ish years, but I injected less often. This week I'm planning to lower it a bit because I keep dropping weight unintentionally every 6 months or so, and I'm now around 10lbs under my target weight.
 
Jfrick11 said:

For me, it's been roughly 2ish years. I stayed at the same dose for maintenance for about 1.5ish years, but I injected less often. This week I'm planning to lower it a bit because I keep dropping weight unintentionally every 6 months or so, and I'm now around 10lbs under my target weight.

Nice work! That's a good issue to be dealing with. Your commitment has obviously yielded results.
 
Chili777 said:

10 months for me. No matter the dose, it kept working. After roughly 2 months, all the big side effects stopped. I once went up to 12 mg, and these days I'm at 8 mg; my plan is to hold at 6 mg over the long haul, though I'm not sure yet how that will turn out. I already gave 6 mg a shot for 1 week, but the appetite came roaring back by the time my next pin was due. When I do settle at 6 mg, I'll likely split the dose to see whether that smooths things out.
Think about pairing the Orgf / Oral Glp-1 a-la-carte with the smaller dose....for me, so far, it has worked very well. Their receptor targeting differs somewhat. I also want to remain on low-dose maintenance indefinitely, since everything I come across regarding stopping entirely suggests you lose effectiveness when you begin again.
 
Back
Top