What Would Your Ultimate Dream Pen Look Like With No Budget Limits?

thatkatmat said:

AlexSilver said:

thatkatmat said:

The Gansulin is a favorite of mine as well. One feature I'd like to see is a setting where pressing the button once starts the injection without needing to keep it pressed the whole time—it would simply deliver on its own. Another thing these pens are missing: some kind of audible cue (a click or any noise) that confirms the dose went in, which would let me count how long to leave the needle inserted afterward. If you added a small watch battery and connected it to an app, that app could log doses and anything else I'd normally write on a label.

Wishing you success with your project!!

From what I can tell, the Novopen already offers that feature along with a digital readout that tracks your cumulative injected units.
My Novopen lasted only as long as it took me to attempt taking out the vial holder, which ended with it snapping. Total waste of cash. The one I got was either faulty, badly designed, or both. I was aware of the counter feature, but the rest of the capabilities were unclear to me.
AmexBabushka on Telegram offers a replacement cart holder that's 3-d printed. Make sure to mention that you're after the Nova, since he also produces them for convipens.
 
ThunderBird said:

Next year marks my last year in engineering, and I'll need to begin a finished project for my capstone design course. This hands me a rare chance to pour an absurd amount of time, money, and effort into building something impressive from scratch. At the moment, I'm considering designing an injector pen that's improved and more tailored to what a typical peptide user actually needs, rather than being built for insulin delivery. The Novo Nordisk Echo sparked this idea for me—it's somewhat smart, but its electronics are just so-so in my view. Given how small chips and electronics have become these days, it seems like it ought to be capable of FAR more.

So here's my question: if you could have a pen with XYZ features, doing XYZ things, what would you want it to do, and why?

A few items I already intend to show on the pen are listed below:

Substance - Total initial amount

Dose - total dose left

Dosing Schedule

Date/Time + Date Reconned / however days old the pep is

Previous Dose

Time till next Dose

Other things you might want could include:

form Factor

general aesthetics

needles ( hidden or shown)

how you chose the dose

smartphone connectivity

Alarms

Cartridge loading and compatibility

Material/build quality

Thanks for sticking with this long post. If you've got any ideas you'd like to share, please go ahead and put them here—I'll read every reply in this thread.

Just to be clear, I have no plans to bring anything to market; I don't have the CAPX for a project like that. More likely, I'll share Code/CAD/manufacturing process once everything is finished, if this ends up being the project I pursue.
I'm not going to get into the imaginary pens I'd want (one that clears itself, locks in the dose and stays there unless you adjust it by hand, has enough weight to sit nicely in my grip, and comes in the shades I like best). As for pens that actually exist? A Luxura in green, plus a Saavio in pink and another in green. A black one could be nice as well. Still, spending hundreds of dollars on just 1 pen feels like too much for someone as frugal as me.
 
ThunderBird said:


What do you have honestly I’m curious now I bet I could tear one apart and put it back together ( now I may have to record a 5 hour video of me doing it ) but it would be essentially research for me as I am trying to build one of these

Click to expand...
You've really set my mind racing about ways to make these pens run better. Obviously, whatever we use has to be safe with the compounds the pens deliver. WD40 is mainly a penetrant, and at 1st it isn't a great lubricant, but it improves over time as the solvent leaves; that evaporation keeps going until the WD turns into a thick, waxy material that protects well but doesn't work well as a grease. I figure a little gun lubricant CLP (cleans, lubricates, protects) would be a longer-lasting answer. Trouble is, the spiral shafts on the pens I've looked at are made of some unidentified plastic that might be damaged by the solvents in any lube. In the CLPs I know, the main lubricant is Teflon, and like WD, those are cleared for food processing equipment. WD sprayed on would reach every internal part of a pen, while CLP could be dabbed on lightly with a foam Q-Tip and would remain where you put it. I have 2 V2s, which I don't like, and I'll test this on them. Based on how that turns out, I have a V1, my current go-to pen, that I may give the same treatment. I also have a new Savio that I've only run with water, checking accuracy and smoothness after a couple dozen runs to break it in, and I like it a lot; it might be another test candidate. Stand by for updates in this thread...

I spent my whole career as a research and development mechanic for a big aircraft manufacturer. I worked alongside many very skilled mechanics and some extremely brilliant engineers. If they could imagine it and put it on paper, we built it. After all kinds of extended torture testing, we tested things until they failed. For instance, we fastened a test aircraft to the floor and raised the wing tips until the wings snapped. 16 feet and the boom of a shot gun blast, then we took everything apart and sent the fuselage off to the bone yard.
 
skeptick said:

AlexSilver said:

skeptick said:

Grogu said:

ThunderBird said:

Next year marks my last year in engineering, and I'll need to begin a finished project for my capstone design course. This hands me a rare chance to pour an absurd amount of time, money, and effort into building something impressive from scratch. At the moment, I'm considering designing an injector pen that's improved and more tailored to what a typical peptide user actually needs, rather than being built for insulin delivery. The Novo Nordisk Echo sparked this idea for me—it's somewhat smart, but its electronics are just so-so in my view. Given how small chips and electronics have become these days, it seems like it ought to be capable of FAR more.

So here's my question: if you could have a pen with XYZ features, doing XYZ things, what would you want it to do, and why?

A few items I already intend to show on the pen are listed below:

Substance - Total initial amount

Dose - total dose left

Dosing Schedule

Date/Time + Date Reconned / however days old the pep is

Previous Dose

Time till next Dose

Other things you might want could include:

form Factor

general aesthetics

needles ( hidden or shown)

how you chose the dose

smartphone connectivity

Alarms

Cartridge loading and compatibility

Material/build quality

Thanks for sticking with this long post. If you've got any ideas you'd like to share, please go ahead and put them here—I'll read every reply in this thread.

Just to be clear, I have no plans to bring anything to market; I don't have the CAPX for a project like that. More likely, I'll share Code/CAD/manufacturing process once everything is finished, if this ends up being the project I pursue.

For my part, one improvement would be knowing more precisely how much peptide remains in the cartridge. A few of my pens have markings on the cartridge holder, yet those markings are meaningless to me. Sure, I could consult the instructions, but finding the time is another matter... 🙃 On top of that, certain pens arrived without any paperwork.

Priming is another annoyance. I believed I had removed every bit of air from a cartridge I'm using now, but when I checked yesterday, air was still present. Whether any engineering solution exists for that, I can't say.

Since I won't keep the pen needle attached between doses, I'd rather have pens that are more compact. I get that cartridge length and the length of the "plunger" set the size, but any way to make these pens slimmer and shorter would be welcome.

There's one more frustration: at the moment I use the Savvio. The build quality is great, its smaller size is great, but the cartridge loading mechanism is not. Screw-in cartridge holders are what I prefer, whereas the Savvio relies on a spring mechanism that rotates the same direction as when you take off a needle. As a result, while removing a needle, I've had the cart holder pop out several times by accident. A spring loaded cart holder sounds appealing, but perhaps the threading should have gone the opposite way?

Ergonomics deserve thought too. A design that made one-handed use easier, particularly for those with arthritis, could be worth designing around. I don't have that (yet), but I can imagine it becoming a problem.

Last, even though I like pens and have tested dosing many times, I still find myself unsure whether the dose actually went in. I don't know if there's a way to engineer something for that.
What if the plunger shaft, along with the part that follows it, were built from polished stainless steel—or a similar material—so that the pen glides with exceptional smoothness and stays consistent across its entire working range?

Steel gears and a steel plunger are indeed present in the first Gansulin autoinjector.
Do you know where someone could get one?

They would rather not have their name shared on a public forum. Send me a DM instead.
 
skeptick said:


Now you went and got my brain zooming in on what just might make pens operate more smoothly. Seems we'd only want to use a product that won't contaminate the products that the pens are designed to dispense. WD40 is primarily a penetrant that at 1st is not a particularly good lubricant, but gets better with time as the solvent evaporates but that evaporation continues until the WD becomes a thick waxy like substance that is a great protectant but not a great grease. I'm thinkin a small amount of a gun lubricant CLP (cleans,lubricates,protects) would serve as a more semi-permanent solution. Problems could arise because the spiral shaft of the pens I have examined are all some unknown plastic that could be attacked by the solvent carriers of what ever lube is used. The primary lubricant that is used in the CLP's I'm familiar with is Teflon and, as is WD, they are approved for use on food processing equipment. The spray on application of WD would coat all of the internals of a pen whereas CLP could be sparingly applied with a foam Q-Tip and would stay where applied. I have 2 V2s ,that I don't like, that I will try this out on. Depending on the results of that experiment, I have a V1 ,that is my current go-to pen, that I will consider for the same treatment I also have a new Savio that I have only used with water for trials of accuracy and smoothness after a couple dozen runs for break-in purposes that I like a lot which may be a candidate for this test. StandBy for reports to this thread...

Spent my working career as a research and development mechanic for a large aircraft manufacturer. Got to work with many highly skill mechanics and some incredibly smart engineers. If they could think it up and draw it, we got to build it. After all manner of extended torture tests, we got to test till destruction. Example is we bolted a test aircraft to the floor and lifted the wing tips till the wings broke. 16 feet and the boom of a shot gun blast then we got to tear it all down and sent the fuselage out to the bone yard.

Click to expand...

In my opinion, the main issue with lower-cost pens is that the gears skip when the plunger is pushed too quickly, and occasionally even at a slower pace. My guess is that adding lube would only make things worse…. I’m not sure, though.
 
AlexSilver said:


IMHO, the biggest problem with the cheaper pens is that the gears slip if you push the plunger too fast and sometimes even then. I would think that lube would make the problem worse…. I dunno.

Click to expand...
When I first tried my initial V2, that tooth-skipping sensation hit me too—though honestly, I was handling it like a gorilla. I have no clue how much actually went in. Since then, I've run accuracy checks on every one of my four pens with water: 2) V2s, 1) V1, and 1 Savio. For my purposes, each was accurate enough, worked as it should, and ran smoothly. In my opinion, the V1 and the Savio were nicer to use than the V2s. I put about a half dozen vials through each one to break them in. I haven't used the Savio with Tirz yet. I just received some Cag that I plan to load into it.
 
AlexSilver said:

If the original Gansulin Auto-injector just came with a spring cap to conceal the needle during injection, the way the V2 does, it would be flawless.
Honestly, the worst part of the V2 for me is those silly spring-loaded caps — they block my view of what I'm doing.
 
I'd really like to give one of those high-pressure injectors that don't use a needle a shot.

You just press it to your skin, hit the button, and BAM, it's all done in a second or 2.

With the ones you can buy now, loading them is still a pain, so my perfect pen would be like that, except you'd simply click a vial into place, set the amount, and fire it off.
 
My experience is limited to the Nova insulin Flexpen, the Mounjaro kwickpen, and the Lily Luxura reusable pen, so my wish list might not be all that useful. Still, here is what I would want:

_ a pen that can be refilled

_ with the same smooth operation as the ones mentioned above

_ a display of how many ml or units are left in the cartridge

_ an insulated cooling sleeve included for travel in hot conditions

At a fair price, I don't believe that is asking for too much.
 
Back
Top