What liquid is in B12?

IvanD

Explorer
Joined
Mar 5, 2026
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
A quick question for everyone. A lot of vendors offer B12 in liquid form (that red liquid we're all familiar with), which means it's already combined with something. Does anybody happen to know what kind of solution it contains, and how long it stays good for?

Thanks
 
Are you referring to B12 that gets added into Compound vials??? If that's the case, go check out reddit compound. If not, here's what Google has to say:

Is there a color associated with vitamin B12?

Microorganisms naturally produce vitamin b12, which is primarily present in animal-derived foods and plays a vital role in human health [11,12]. Referred to as cobalamin as well, it takes the form of a red crystalline powder, and it stands out as the sole vitamin containing a metallic element, cobalt.

---or---

The Appearance of Vitamin B12 Injection​#-the-appearance-of-vitamin-b12-injectionWhen it comes to the question, what color is vitamin B12 injection?, the answer is straightforward yet fascinating. A red or reddish-pink shade characterizes most vitamin B12 injections. Cyanocobalamin, among the most widely used synthetic versions of vitamin B12, is responsible for this vivid color. That striking red is certainly attention-grabbing, and beyond that, it acts as a comforting sign that the injection holds the essential compound required to bring your B12 levels back up.

Hydroxocobalamin, another form of injectable B12, likewise shows a reddish tint, although it might appear less bright compared to Cyanocobalamin. No matter the specific shade, the key point remains that a Vitamin B12 injection ought to always show up in red or pink tones. Should it look any different, that could point to a problem like contamination or faulty manufacturing.

This unique coloring gives reassurance to healthcare providers and patients alike that the injection is prepared to provide its key advantages. Proper storage of the injection matters just as much for preserving its safety, effectiveness, and signature color. Being able to recognize and understand the correct appearance guarantees the injection will successfully address Vitamin B12 deficiency without harming health.
 
Right, my question is about the B12 that vendors offer, typically packaged in a 10ml vial. It never shows up as a powder, so it must already be combined with some kind of liquid by the vendor. What I want to know is: what exactly is that liquid—bac, saline, sterile water, or something completely different?
 
IvanD said:

Right, my question is about the B12 that vendors offer, typically packaged in a 10ml vial. It never shows up as a powder, so it must already be combined with some kind of liquid by the vendor. What I want to know is: what exactly is that liquid—bac, saline, sterile water, or something completely different?

I looked this up on Google:

The B12 that vendors carry typically comes in a 10ml vial. It's never offered as a powder, so it's obviously already combined with some liquid by the vendor. What I want to know is what that liquid actually is (bac, saline, sterile water, or something completely different)

Answer:





4e63d235fa9f968fb1d4ada866168a1f50ebc97af9f8f094c1ad1c13737a5646.webp


Details from the link:

Each ml Contains: Cyanocobalamin 1000Mcg, Benzyl Alcohol 1.5%, Sodium Chloride for Isotonicity, Sodium Acetate and Acetic Acid As Buffers, Sodium Hydroxide and/or Hydrochloric Acid To Adjust pH and Water for Injection.

Link:
 
I looked this up on Google as well, but I don't trust what I found. For Chinese vendors, 1.5% benzyl doesn't add up, and the AI summary is talking about compounded injections.
 
IvanD said:

I looked this up on Google as well, but I don't trust what I found. For Chinese vendors, 1.5% benzyl doesn't add up, and the AI summary is talking about compounded injections.
I'm interested in hearing what other people have to say. Personally, I've gone through a multi-dose lipo-c with b12, and it appeared to hold up fine across 10 injections.

Though I guess "appeared" is the key word there.

It's logical that 1.5% would be a lot higher than BAC water's .9%, but perhaps the other components need that concentration?

EDIT

A while back, on a jano thread discussing the dyed lipo-c b12 controversy, I came across this list of "expected ingredients"- other site

b6480e53c672763fe811a59b2ce1053216d15d61aa407bbef83939b7df8fa1c7.webp
 
The solution that the B12 has been combined with is not what gives it the red hue — that color is inherent to the B12 molecule itself.

A further distinction matters here: pharma-grade single-dose ampoules are not the same thing as multi-dose vials that come from the grey market. If you look up B12 injections through google or an AI search, the typical ingredients listed are water for injection, sodium chloride, a preservative like benzyl alcohol, and pH adjusters such as sodium hydroxide — though each product's exact composition differs.

When you buy from a grey market source, the contents of the vial are simply whatever that seller decided to put in. Should a brewer start from premade bacteriostatic water, benzyl alcohol is already part of the mix. Should they instead begin with sterile water for injection and introduce their own preservative, only they can tell you the identity and quantity of what went in.

For a grey market B12 vial, there is no reliable way to establish how long it remains usable once opened. The manufacturing date is unknown, the recommended PAO is unknown, and the preservative used is unknown. User behavior adds yet another major variable.

Which brings us to shelf life: absent proper preservative challenge and stability testing performed on that specific formula, in that specific vial, under the storage and handling conditions it will actually see, the answer is that nobody can say.
 
For methylcobalamin (b12), I purchase the lyophilized form from a vendor I trust, then mix it with bacteriostatic water, just as I do with other compounds. Pre-mixed b12 is not something I would purchase.
 
I’m putting this in its own post since I believe it deserves attention: picking up injectable vitamins and amino acids that aren’t pharma-grade is an extremely poor choice.

We regularly point out how unwise it is to purchase ready-made peptide pens, but believe me, this situation can be significantly worse.

At one point I got into a major dispute with a private brewer/seller who has a sizable presence in the grey market. I saw that the preservative system they were using was very weak and might put their buyers at risk, so I confronted them about it.

That’s only 1 individual. I’m certain there are way too many people and businesses who lack proper knowledge, producing anything they please and filling vials with whatever they want, simply because no regulatory oversight stops them.

If you’re after anything in liquid form, stick exclusively to pharma-grade.
 
IvanD said:

A quick question for everyone. A lot of vendors offer B12 in liquid form (that red liquid we're all familiar with), which means it's already combined with something. Does anybody happen to know what kind of solution it contains, and how long it stays good for?

Thanks
On Nexaph's website, this is what they list.

Each mL of Lipo-C contains:

  • 25mg of B5 (Dexpanthenol)
  • 25mg of B6 (Pyridoxine)
  • 1mg of B12 (Methyl cobalamin)
  • 20mg of L-Arginine
  • 50mg of L-Carnitine
  • 25mg of L-Methionine
  • 50mg of L-Inositol
  • 50mg of Choline Chloride
  • 1% Lidocaine
  • 1% Benzyl Alcohol (used as a preservative)
  • Sterile water
 
CNCCurrency said:

IvanD said:

A quick question for everyone. A lot of vendors offer B12 in liquid form (that red liquid we're all familiar with), which means it's already combined with something. Does anybody happen to know what kind of solution it contains, and how long it stays good for?

Thanks
On Nexaph's website, this is what they list.

Each mL of Lipo-C contains:

  • 25mg of B5 (Dexpanthenol)
  • 25mg of B6 (Pyridoxine)
  • 1mg of B12 (Methyl cobalamin)
  • 20mg of L-Arginine
  • 50mg of L-Carnitine
  • 25mg of L-Methionine
  • 50mg of L-Inositol
  • 50mg of Choline Chloride
  • 1% Lidocaine
  • 1% Benzyl Alcohol (used as a preservative)
  • Sterile water
Heh.. I really ought to have checked that spot.. That's probably the same one I picked up. lol 😛

EDIT:

Yup

89358130c64ff5eed72e316089a8c3d1dc0a0d610a33e2bc49dcc5c9a3c0d4b3.webp
 
That is helpful info. Still, I question whether LIPO-C gets reconstituted in a different way compared to regular B12. The trouble is, there's no way to find out — the COAs from various sources don't even show it — which liquid the vendor's B12 contains. I'm also curious what role lidocaine plays here.
 
IvanD said:

That is helpful info. Still, I question whether LIPO-C gets reconstituted in a different way compared to regular B12. The trouble is, there's no way to find out — the COAs from various sources don't even show it — which liquid the vendor's B12 contains. I'm also curious what role lidocaine plays here.
It eases the sting — push it in quickly and you'll notice it. I put in 10 units, then pause for roughly 10 seconds so the lidocaine can kick in. From what I was told on here some time ago, the burning sensation comes from the L-Carnitine.
 
miameow said:

I’m putting this in its own post since I believe it deserves attention: picking up injectable vitamins and amino acids that aren’t pharma-grade is an extremely poor choice.

We regularly point out how unwise it is to purchase ready-made peptide pens, but believe me, this situation can be significantly worse.

At one point I got into a major dispute with a private brewer/seller who has a sizable presence in the grey market. I saw that the preservative system they were using was very weak and might put their buyers at risk, so I confronted them about it.

That’s only 1 individual. I’m certain there are way too many people and businesses who lack proper knowledge, producing anything they please and filling vials with whatever they want, simply because no regulatory oversight stops them.

If you’re after anything in liquid form, stick exclusively to pharma-grade.

My choice is Durvet Maxi B-1000. It's meant for veterinary use, yet it does the job well, and injecting it is completely smooth with no pain at all.
 
Back
Top