What is the safest way to buy peptides with cryptocurrency?

byefatlicia said:

I get BTC straight inside Exodus. Google Pay is what I use for it. If my memory serves me, Crypto.com charged too much.
Prices across the big exchanges don't differ much. Coinbase is what I use, and it's been trouble-free for me.

Another route: pick a platform with solid banking ties, Coinbase being one example, purchase stablecoins there, then transfer them to whichever wallet you prefer. Phantom, to name one, plugs into extra exchanges quite easily and charges next to nothing.

One thing you should do: place a small test order before anything else.
 
shirasu893 said:

This thread started out trying to pin down the safest process for buying peptides while keeping the risk of trouble with a KYC custodial service (Coinbase, Cash App, Robinhood, PayPal, and similar) as low as possible. That explains why a self-custody wallet such as Exodus keeps coming up as a middle step, rather than sending payment to a vendor straight from a KYC platform.

What I'm still trying to sort out, though, is how BTC, ETH, and stablecoins compare in terms of tradeoffs.

On the operational side, BTC and ETH look much less complicated. The flow would be: purchase on a KYC platform, move to Exodus, then pay the vendor. Since the network fee comes out of the same asset being sent, there's no need to hold a separate gas token.

The clear drawback is price movement in BTC and ETH. Even with a buy-and-spend window of only minutes, the value shifts, so a small capital gain or loss that has to be reported (on my taxes) is almost guaranteed.

With stablecoins (USDC/USDT/PYUSD), the volatility problem is mostly gone, and that looks like a major plus. The catch is that they seem to bring in far more operational hoops.

Say I want to use a cheap network such as Arbitrum instead of Ethereum mainnet. Even then:

  • vendors don't all take the same stablecoin,
  • vendors don't all take the same network (Ethereum, Arbitrum, Polygon, Solana, etc.),
  • and whatever network I pick, wouldn't I still need to keep a small balance of that network's native gas token (ETH on Arbitrum/Ethereum, POL on Polygon, SOL on Solana, etc.)?
So does the real-world process actually look like this:

  1. Purchase the stablecoin.
  2. Purchase a small amount of the right gas token.
  3. Send both to Exodus.
  4. Pay the vendor.
And if vendors differ on which networks they accept, doesn't that eventually force me to hold gas across several networks too?

Is this the right way to think about it, or is there a simpler routine that people with experience actually follow?
For this purpose, my usual approach is to hold a modest amount of "gas" — typically around 20-30 USD worth of ETH — alongside the stablecoin. Then, on the day of the transaction, I use the non custodial wallet to swap the gas currencies. For example, many vendetta, as I know, prefer the sol network, so I generally attempt to negotiate the price down by 5-10 USD, because sol carries the highest gas fees when compared with ETH
 
I've been digging into this to work it out, and I think I've got it—or at least I'm hoping so.

My setup is Coinbase plus Trust Wallet. As a trial, I bought a small amount of USDT on Coinbase and moved it over to Trust Wallet. After that, I picked up $20 worth of Etherium and sent it to Trust Wallet as well (to cover the Gas Tax).

If I'm understanding this right, when it's time to place an order I simply need to acquire the right quantity of USDT, move it into my Wallet, submit the order, and then very carefully work out how to forward it to the vendor using the proper network/address?
 
Kraken has been my go-to. Buying is really simple, and then you can send payment straight to vendors. They offer a whole range of stablecoins, plus the more volatile choices if that’s your preference. Sure, you pay a modest fee, but it keeps everything under one roof—you can even receive crypto payments into your wallet there.
 
Cuzman said:

Kraken has been my go-to. Buying is really simple, and then you can send payment straight to vendors. They offer a whole range of stablecoins, plus the more volatile choices if that’s your preference. Sure, you pay a modest fee, but it keeps everything under one roof—you can even receive crypto payments into your wallet there.

So Kraken is where the payment to your vendors comes from directly? I don’t know crypto yet, but the advice I keep seeing is to move funds into a non-custodial wallet first and then send payment to the vendor from that wallet.
 
Blueeyedme said:

Cuzman said:

Kraken has been my go-to. Buying is really simple, and then you can send payment straight to vendors. They offer a whole range of stablecoins, plus the more volatile choices if that’s your preference. Sure, you pay a modest fee, but it keeps everything under one roof—you can even receive crypto payments into your wallet there.

So Kraken is where the payment to your vendors comes from directly? I don’t know crypto yet, but the advice I keep seeing is to move funds into a non-custodial wallet first and then send payment to the vendor from that wallet.
Right, I use Kraken directly. Money comes out of my bank, gets converted into crypto, and goes to the vendor—everything happens through one platform. Simple as that.
 
Blueeyedme said:

Cuzman said:

Kraken has been my go-to. Buying is really simple, and then you can send payment straight to vendors. They offer a whole range of stablecoins, plus the more volatile choices if that’s your preference. Sure, you pay a modest fee, but it keeps everything under one roof—you can even receive crypto payments into your wallet there.

So Kraken is where the payment to your vendors comes from directly? I don’t know crypto yet, but the advice I keep seeing is to move funds into a non-custodial wallet first and then send payment to the vendor from that wallet.
Yes, that's completely fine.
 
Cuzman said:

Blueeyedme said:

Cuzman said:

Kraken has been my go-to. Buying is really simple, and then you can send payment straight to vendors. They offer a whole range of stablecoins, plus the more volatile choices if that’s your preference. Sure, you pay a modest fee, but it keeps everything under one roof—you can even receive crypto payments into your wallet there.

So Kraken is where the payment to your vendors comes from directly? I don’t know crypto yet, but the advice I keep seeing is to move funds into a non-custodial wallet first and then send payment to the vendor from that wallet.
Right, I use Kraken directly. Money comes out of my bank, gets converted into crypto, and goes to the vendor—everything happens through one platform. Simple as that.
Sure — provided you're fine with Kraken shutting your account down for good because you used it to purchase counterfeit goods.
 
When it comes to actually transferring the payment, my approach is to first send just $1 and have them verify it arrived. I nearly lost $840 to the void after they supplied an incorrect BTC address.
 
In the EU, USDT has been delisted for all EU citizens on the major crypto exchanges, and that is the coin my vendor asks for, so I am running into a problem.

I worked out that Exodus will let me swap into USDT, but I am unsure which crypto to purchase first (on Coinbase, say) so that the swap costs me the least in fees and I lose as little money as possible 🤔
 
shirasu893 said:

This thread started out trying to pin down the safest process for buying peptides while keeping the risk of trouble with a KYC custodial service (Coinbase, Cash App, Robinhood, PayPal, and similar) as low as possible. That explains why a self-custody wallet such as Exodus keeps coming up as a middle step, rather than sending payment to a vendor straight from a KYC platform.

What I'm still trying to sort out, though, is how BTC, ETH, and stablecoins compare in terms of tradeoffs.

On the operational side, BTC and ETH look much less complicated. The flow would be: purchase on a KYC platform, move to Exodus, then pay the vendor. Since the network fee comes out of the same asset being sent, there's no need to hold a separate gas token.

The clear drawback is price movement in BTC and ETH. Even with a buy-and-spend window of only minutes, the value shifts, so a small capital gain or loss that has to be reported (on my taxes) is almost guaranteed.

With stablecoins (USDC/USDT/PYUSD), the volatility problem is mostly gone, and that looks like a major plus. The catch is that they seem to bring in far more operational hoops.

Say I want to use a cheap network such as Arbitrum instead of Ethereum mainnet. Even then:

  • vendors don't all take the same stablecoin,
  • vendors don't all take the same network (Ethereum, Arbitrum, Polygon, Solana, etc.),
  • and whatever network I pick, wouldn't I still need to keep a small balance of that network's native gas token (ETH on Arbitrum/Ethereum, POL on Polygon, SOL on Solana, etc.)?
So does the real-world process actually look like this:

  1. Purchase the stablecoin.
  2. Purchase a small amount of the right gas token.
  3. Send both to Exodus.
  4. Pay the vendor.
And if vendors differ on which networks they accept, doesn't that eventually force me to hold gas across several networks too?

Is this the right way to think about it, or is there a simpler routine that people with experience actually follow?
This post gave me a clearer picture.. I don't have an answer for you, but at least I now have a vague grasp of the "gas" comment I saw on a different post. Thanks!!
 
Back
Top