tendency
Explorer
Not sure if this has been brought up already but PSA: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2026/mar/10/wegovy-sudden-sight-loss-ozempic-study-semaglutide
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
My wife has diabetes and her doctor put her on tirzepatide. (I won't go into the battle I had with the insurance company just to get it approved.)lessthanhalf said:
I located the study. Turns out my earlier claim was mistaken: Ozempic can be dosed as high as 2mg. What stands out is that tirzepatide showed no signal at all. In retrospective work like this, separating genuine findings from statistical noise at those sample sizes is a real challenge, so I expect plenty of follow-up research on this same question.
Just found out that everyone who is born ends up dying — 100% of the time............my bad................haha.................tendency said:
Not sure if this has been brought up already but PSA: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2026/mar/10/wegovy-sudden-sight-loss-ozempic-study-semaglutide
In the US, people with diabetes typically get eye exams once a year or every 6 months. This isn't tied to glp/gip use.Rezn8 said:
My wife has diabetes and her doctor put her on tirzepatide. (I won't go into the battle I had with the insurance company just to get it approved.)lessthanhalf said:
I located the study. Turns out my earlier claim was mistaken: Ozempic can be dosed as high as 2mg. What stands out is that tirzepatide showed no signal at all. In retrospective work like this, separating genuine findings from statistical noise at those sample sizes is a real challenge, so I expect plenty of follow-up research on this same question.
Her doctors are keeping a close watch on her eyes for any indication of these vision problems. She goes in for eye exams 2x per year.
It could just be that since ozempic was found to cause eye problems, they figure tirzepatide might do the same thing, but they are certainly monitoring her for it
According to them, the gap between Wegovy and Ozempic figures is probably a statistical artifact. On top of that, the FAERS dataset that supplies all of this has serious drawbacks:Although Wegovy produced fewer ION reports than Ozempic, its lower overall reporting yielded a higher ROR. Disproportionality reflects relative reporting rather than incidence and may be influenced by exposure, indication or media attention...This supports the suggestion that Wegovy’s stronger disproportionality signal reflects higher reporting intensity rather than volume.
Click to expand...
The data cannot reveal the true risk ratio, cannot show how much is fueled by media coverage, cannot establish if cases cluster among diabetics, cannot say whether the condition is more or less severe...in short, there is very little they can determine.As FAERS lacks denominator data, we could not determine true incidence or assess whether reports
clustered following regulatory recognition. It also lacks comorbidity data (eg, diabetes) for adjustment and does not capture disease severity, laterality or other granular phenotypic characteristics.
Click to expand...
OMG....I'm dyingRolltide61 said:
Wegovy trial participants gather to mark 1 year together.
View attachment 10582
1-year anniversary of the Wegovy trial group.
That's generally how I look at these kinds of articles too. GLP risks don't exist in isolation — they need to be weighed against what obesity itself brings to the table (and at minimum, you could throw in the dangers of yo-yo dieting, bro-science weight loss, and so on). For the overwhelming majority of people, the downsides of GLP use are far smaller than the downsides of obesity.CathyGoesFar said:
A large share of these problems, I suspect, stem from how little monitoring and how few exams patients receive these days. How many of those individuals actually underwent a dilated eye exam within the past 12 months, I have to ask? These days some physicians hardly even lay hands on their patients during routine visits, much less perform a genuine physical examination. I accompany a relative to their appointments, and even though their leg weakness has been getting worse, just 1 doctor has bothered to confirm that their reflexes are still intact.
On a related note, among 10,000 people with obesity, roughly 70-100 additional cancer cases would be expected because of the obesity, and about 7-20 of those would probably be fatal. The potential eyesight danger deserves consideration, yes, but it has to be viewed in context. Scary headlines of the sort that article uses can end up harming plenty of people.