Ways to break through a Retta plateau?

itsjustmeh

Explorer
Joined
May 31, 2026
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Philippines
I began on 0.5mg, which is quite a low dose, and remained there for close to 2 months while losing weight. In time, my appetite returned, so I moved up to 1mg and stayed at that level for 3 weeks, with the same result. I then jumped straight from 1mg to 2mg, and I have now been on that for 3 weeks. I am not very hungry, but my weight has not gone down either. I attempt to exercise daily and try to get enough protein (though I likely fall short on that, but I do try). My meals are a small breakfast, a light lunch and a very small dinner (mostly meat or a protein shake). Any suggestions?
 
At 2mg this isn't a plateau. I'd need your starting weight, current weight, height, goal weight, age, and how long you've been on reta. Based on the timeline and what you say you're eating, my guess is you're still dropping weight, but shifts in fluid balance are masking it — that should resolve itself in the coming weeks. If your daily calorie intake now matches what it was while you were still losing, then that's almost certainly the explanation. And why not just raise the dose??
 
itsjustmeh said:

I began on 0.5mg, which is quite a low dose, and remained there for close to 2 months while losing weight. In time, my appetite returned, so I moved up to 1mg and stayed at that level for 3 weeks, with the same result. I then jumped straight from 1mg to 2mg, and I have now been on that for 3 weeks. I am not very hungry, but my weight has not gone down either. I attempt to exercise daily and try to get enough protein (though I likely fall short on that, but I do try). My meals are a small breakfast, a light lunch and a very small dinner (mostly meat or a protein shake). Any suggestions?
For research purposes, options worth considering include cagri, GH secretagogues, cardarin, Aicar, MK-677, and Tirze, though another route is to increase your Reta dose gradually... 3 weeks isn't very long, particularly when there isn't much fat left to lose. In any case, you'd need precise figures... TDEE, calorie intake, and so on. I'm currently taking 2mg of reta, and my weight loss has slowed slightly over the past few days.
 
itsjustmeh said:

I began on 0.5mg, which is quite a low dose, and remained there for close to 2 months while losing weight. In time, my appetite returned, so I moved up to 1mg and stayed at that level for 3 weeks, with the same result. I then jumped straight from 1mg to 2mg, and I have now been on that for 3 weeks. I am not very hungry, but my weight has not gone down either. I attempt to exercise daily and try to get enough protein (though I likely fall short on that, but I do try). My meals are a small breakfast, a light lunch and a very small dinner (mostly meat or a protein shake). Any suggestions?
Which car brand and model is that?
 
CNCCurrency said:

itsjustmeh said:

I began on 0.5mg, which is quite a low dose, and remained there for close to 2 months while losing weight. In time, my appetite returned, so I moved up to 1mg and stayed at that level for 3 weeks, with the same result. I then jumped straight from 1mg to 2mg, and I have now been on that for 3 weeks. I am not very hungry, but my weight has not gone down either. I attempt to exercise daily and try to get enough protein (though I likely fall short on that, but I do try). My meals are a small breakfast, a light lunch and a very small dinner (mostly meat or a protein shake). Any suggestions?
Which car brand and model is that?
Vinfast VF3, but swapped the wheels out for whitewalls
 
I began at 102 kilo and have dropped to 86 kilo, though that took roughly 4 to 5 months. The bulk of the loss happened during the first month or so. For around a month now, I've been stuck at 86 kilo. I'm a 44-year-old male, 5ft 10inch tall, and my goal weight is 74kilo or 165lbs.
 
gimmeshelter said:

If you aren't using a scale to measure your food down to the gram and logging it?
So what exactly are you asking, Bubba? To be straight with you, I don't keep tabs on my food grams, protein, calorie, carbs or anything like that. What I do is have protein at breakfast and dinner, plus a protein shake at lunch.
 
There are 2 paths you can take. One option is to simply keep raising the dose until the scale starts dropping. The other option is to approach it properly. Keep an eye on your calorie intake, emphasize a mix of foods that are high in protein and low in calorie density, add some resistance training, make sure you get your steps in, and raise the dosage only as needed to manage hunger and keep progress going. The calorie tracking piece is something I strongly suggest. A lot of people who hit a stall are actually consuming far more calories than they realize. If the weight is not coming off, chances are you are not in a deficit.

The first approach is what most people choose (less so in this community than among the broader public). However, if you dial in your diet and exercise, your overall results will be better, you will preserve much more muscle, and you likely will not need to increase the dose as high or as quickly. Keeping the weight off long term also becomes far more likely.
 
wonttellyou said:

Do come back and update us once you're on the doses actual humans use.
When I see people beginning at .25 or .5, I honestly wonder how that could possibly do anything. And then they claim they've hit the ceiling at 1.5/2mg. I have no clue where those notions originated. No disrespect to anyone sticking with tiny doses.
 
It really comes down to their starting body fat. If someone begins only slightly overweight, a mild drop in appetite might only shift some water weight, for example. At that pace, though, they are not going to turn into the next Zyzz.
 
I began taking reta in January. My starting dose was 1mg, and I'm currently at 6mg. Basically, I increased by 1mg every 4 weeks. Early on it did alright, but to be honest, I didn't really see a big change until I got to 4mg. I'd suggest continuing to increase until you reach at least 5-6mg, and then reevaluate. I've experienced a few 2 week plateaus, but I got past them and started losing weight again.
 
itsjustmeh said:

CNCCurrency said:

itsjustmeh said:

I began on 0.5mg, which is quite a low dose, and remained there for close to 2 months while losing weight. In time, my appetite returned, so I moved up to 1mg and stayed at that level for 3 weeks, with the same result. I then jumped straight from 1mg to 2mg, and I have now been on that for 3 weeks. I am not very hungry, but my weight has not gone down either. I attempt to exercise daily and try to get enough protein (though I likely fall short on that, but I do try). My meals are a small breakfast, a light lunch and a very small dinner (mostly meat or a protein shake). Any suggestions?
Which car brand and model is that?
Vinfast VF3, but swapped the wheels out for whitewalls
The whitewalls give it a cool look and really make it pop.
 
BNLFL said:

wonttellyou said:

Do come back and update us once you're on the doses actual humans use.
When I see people beginning at .25 or .5, I honestly wonder how that could possibly do anything. And then they claim they've hit the ceiling at 1.5/2mg. I have no clue where those notions originated. No disrespect to anyone sticking with tiny doses.
My starting dose was 1mg, and 2mg is the highest I've reached. Over thirteen weeks, my weight dropped from 179 down to 156. When I gave 4mg a try for a single week, the side effects proved too strong, so I returned to 2. Once I reach my target of 150, the plan is to stay on 0.5 or 1mg as maintenance indefinitely. Since this is my first time using a GLP-1, I'm sure that works in my favor.
 
Bushum said:

BNLFL said:

wonttellyou said:

Do come back and update us once you're on the doses actual humans use.
When I see people beginning at .25 or .5, I honestly wonder how that could possibly do anything. And then they claim they've hit the ceiling at 1.5/2mg. I have no clue where those notions originated. No disrespect to anyone sticking with tiny doses.
My starting dose was 1mg, and 2mg is the highest I've reached. Over thirteen weeks, my weight dropped from 179 down to 156. When I gave 4mg a try for a single week, the side effects proved too strong, so I returned to 2. Once I reach my target of 150, the plan is to stay on 0.5 or 1mg as maintenance indefinitely. Since this is my first time using a GLP-1, I'm sure that works in my favor.
Taking it easy with small increments works well. My own beginning dose was 0.5, and roughly every 6 weeks I raise it slightly whenever hunger pangs start returning. By the 3 or 4 month mark, I had worked up to 2mg. My aim is to remain at this dose, though I might move to 2.5mg, or perhaps 3mg in a few months, should my weight loss stall too much.
 
itsjustmeh said:

I began on 0.5mg, which is quite a low dose, and remained there for close to 2 months while losing weight. In time, my appetite returned, so I moved up to 1mg and stayed at that level for 3 weeks, with the same result. I then jumped straight from 1mg to 2mg, and I have now been on that for 3 weeks. I am not very hungry, but my weight has not gone down either. I attempt to exercise daily and try to get enough protein (though I likely fall short on that, but I do try). My meals are a small breakfast, a light lunch and a very small dinner (mostly meat or a protein shake). Any suggestions?
Trust me on this: don't stop. At 2 mg I was still dropping weight, yet after 4 weeks at 2 I moved up to 3mg anyway. A whole month at 3mg gave me nothing. Roughly 1lb for the entire month, so I bumped it to 4mg and wow… everything shifted. Keep at it.





Image unavailable
 
Imfrijole said:

itsjustmeh said:

I began on 0.5mg, which is quite a low dose, and remained there for close to 2 months while losing weight. In time, my appetite returned, so I moved up to 1mg and stayed at that level for 3 weeks, with the same result. I then jumped straight from 1mg to 2mg, and I have now been on that for 3 weeks. I am not very hungry, but my weight has not gone down either. I attempt to exercise daily and try to get enough protein (though I likely fall short on that, but I do try). My meals are a small breakfast, a light lunch and a very small dinner (mostly meat or a protein shake). Any suggestions?
Trust me on this: don't stop. At 2 mg I was still dropping weight, yet after 4 weeks at 2 I moved up to 3mg anyway. A whole month at 3mg gave me nothing. Roughly 1lb for the entire month, so I bumped it to 4mg and wow… everything shifted. Keep at it.





Image unavailable
Which tool are you relying on to monitor your weight? That chart looks great.
 
Back
Top