Warm-weather shipping concerns for the Southwest

RJ760

Explorer
Joined
Mar 21, 2026
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
Looking ahead to placing orders during summer while based in the southwest. It’s common for temperatures to reach 110+ and delivery trucks don’t have climate-controlled cargo holds. My guess is powder is more stable than once it’s mixed, but I’m still uneasy about parcels baking in that kind of heat while in transit or left on a porch in mid-July.

Has anyone dealing with similar conditions come up with an approach – scheduling purchases for colder months, asking for ice packs, or something comparable? Seems like something to sort out now rather than once it becomes an issue.
 
RJ760 said:

Looking ahead to placing orders during summer while based in the southwest. It’s common for temperatures to reach 110+ and delivery trucks don’t have climate-controlled cargo holds. My guess is powder is more stable than once it’s mixed, but I’m still uneasy about parcels baking in that kind of heat while in transit or left on a porch in mid-July.

Has anyone dealing with similar conditions come up with an approach – scheduling purchases for colder months, asking for ice packs, or something comparable? Seems like something to sort out now rather than once it becomes an issue.
I don't think there's much to worry about, since the drying process goes above 100 Fahrenheit.
 
CNCCurrency said:

RJ760 said:

Looking ahead to placing orders during summer while based in the southwest. It’s common for temperatures to reach 110+ and delivery trucks don’t have climate-controlled cargo holds. My guess is powder is more stable than once it’s mixed, but I’m still uneasy about parcels baking in that kind of heat while in transit or left on a porch in mid-July.

Has anyone dealing with similar conditions come up with an approach – scheduling purchases for colder months, asking for ice packs, or something comparable? Seems like something to sort out now rather than once it becomes an issue.
I don't think there's much to worry about, since the drying process goes above 100 Fahrenheit.
Don't freeze drying methods actually operate at quite cold temperatures? I was under the impression that's essentially the core idea behind lyophilization. I just want to confirm my understanding is right before I place orders during the warm season.
 
RJ760 said:

Looking ahead to placing orders during summer while based in the southwest. It’s common for temperatures to reach 110+ and delivery trucks don’t have climate-controlled cargo holds. My guess is powder is more stable than once it’s mixed, but I’m still uneasy about parcels baking in that kind of heat while in transit or left on a porch in mid-July.

Has anyone dealing with similar conditions come up with an approach – scheduling purchases for colder months, asking for ice packs, or something comparable? Seems like something to sort out now rather than once it becomes an issue.
Down here on the gulf coast, we get heat like that for months on end. After several summers of ordering, I once let a package sit an extra 6-7 hours in my metal mailbox, which bakes in full sun, following a long overseas trip lasting a few weeks. Everything still worked as it should. These days I aim to preorder so I have enough to get through the hottest stretch, but early on I couldn't swing that when kits larger than 15 mg weren't available.

In any case, you shouldn't have any problems.
 
RJ760 said:

CNCCurrency said:

RJ760 said:

Looking ahead to placing orders during summer while based in the southwest. It’s common for temperatures to reach 110+ and delivery trucks don’t have climate-controlled cargo holds. My guess is powder is more stable than once it’s mixed, but I’m still uneasy about parcels baking in that kind of heat while in transit or left on a porch in mid-July.

Has anyone dealing with similar conditions come up with an approach – scheduling purchases for colder months, asking for ice packs, or something comparable? Seems like something to sort out now rather than once it becomes an issue.
I don't think there's much to worry about, since the drying process goes above 100 Fahrenheit.
Don't freeze drying methods actually operate at quite cold temperatures? I was under the impression that's essentially the core idea behind lyophilization. I just want to confirm my understanding is right before I place orders during the warm season.
First you freeze it cold, then apply heat to drive off whatever moisture remains

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DsaVLiwshY&list=PLB_RSqpKtbEHo-3C3MCQTepuAIdG85KLs&index=82
 
CNCCurrency said:

RJ760 said:

CNCCurrency said:

RJ760 said:

Looking ahead to placing orders during summer while based in the southwest. It’s common for temperatures to reach 110+ and delivery trucks don’t have climate-controlled cargo holds. My guess is powder is more stable than once it’s mixed, but I’m still uneasy about parcels baking in that kind of heat while in transit or left on a porch in mid-July.

Has anyone dealing with similar conditions come up with an approach – scheduling purchases for colder months, asking for ice packs, or something comparable? Seems like something to sort out now rather than once it becomes an issue.
I don't think there's much to worry about, since the drying process goes above 100 Fahrenheit.
Don't freeze drying methods actually operate at quite cold temperatures? I was under the impression that's essentially the core idea behind lyophilization. I just want to confirm my understanding is right before I place orders during the warm season.
First you freeze it cold, then apply heat to drive off whatever moisture remains

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DsaVLiwshY&list=PLB_RSqpKtbEHo-3C3MCQTepuAIdG85KLs&index=82
Appreciate it—the video had solid information. It doesn’t state what temperatures are used during the second drying stage, though from what I’ve looked up it’s in the low 100s. I’m still a bit uneasy about packages being left in a UPS-style cargo truck for the entire day.
 
RJ760 said:

CNCCurrency said:

RJ760 said:

CNCCurrency said:

RJ760 said:

Looking ahead to placing orders during summer while based in the southwest. It’s common for temperatures to reach 110+ and delivery trucks don’t have climate-controlled cargo holds. My guess is powder is more stable than once it’s mixed, but I’m still uneasy about parcels baking in that kind of heat while in transit or left on a porch in mid-July.

Has anyone dealing with similar conditions come up with an approach – scheduling purchases for colder months, asking for ice packs, or something comparable? Seems like something to sort out now rather than once it becomes an issue.
I don't think there's much to worry about, since the drying process goes above 100 Fahrenheit.
Don't freeze drying methods actually operate at quite cold temperatures? I was under the impression that's essentially the core idea behind lyophilization. I just want to confirm my understanding is right before I place orders during the warm season.
First you freeze it cold, then apply heat to drive off whatever moisture remains

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DsaVLiwshY&list=PLB_RSqpKtbEHo-3C3MCQTepuAIdG85KLs&index=82
Appreciate it—the video had solid information. It doesn’t state what temperatures are used during the second drying stage, though from what I’ve looked up it’s in the low 100s. I’m still a bit uneasy about packages being left in a UPS-style cargo truck for the entire day.
I'm based in Tucson, and I've never run into problems with any peps that arrived during the hottest months, so?
 
CNCCurrency said:

RJ760 said:

CNCCurrency said:

RJ760 said:

CNCCurrency said:

RJ760 said:

Looking ahead to placing orders during summer while based in the southwest. It’s common for temperatures to reach 110+ and delivery trucks don’t have climate-controlled cargo holds. My guess is powder is more stable than once it’s mixed, but I’m still uneasy about parcels baking in that kind of heat while in transit or left on a porch in mid-July.

Has anyone dealing with similar conditions come up with an approach – scheduling purchases for colder months, asking for ice packs, or something comparable? Seems like something to sort out now rather than once it becomes an issue.
I don't think there's much to worry about, since the drying process goes above 100 Fahrenheit.
Don't freeze drying methods actually operate at quite cold temperatures? I was under the impression that's essentially the core idea behind lyophilization. I just want to confirm my understanding is right before I place orders during the warm season.
First you freeze it cold, then apply heat to drive off whatever moisture remains

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DsaVLiwshY&list=PLB_RSqpKtbEHo-3C3MCQTepuAIdG85KLs&index=82
Appreciate it—the video had solid information. It doesn’t state what temperatures are used during the second drying stage, though from what I’ve looked up it’s in the low 100s. I’m still a bit uneasy about packages being left in a UPS-style cargo truck for the entire day.
I'm based in Tucson, and I've never run into problems with any peps that arrived during the hottest months, so?
Thanks for easing my mind — I’m in AZ too.
 
PurplePeopleEater said:

RJ760 said:

Looking ahead to placing orders during summer while based in the southwest. It’s common for temperatures to reach 110+ and delivery trucks don’t have climate-controlled cargo holds. My guess is powder is more stable than once it’s mixed, but I’m still uneasy about parcels baking in that kind of heat while in transit or left on a porch in mid-July.

Has anyone dealing with similar conditions come up with an approach – scheduling purchases for colder months, asking for ice packs, or something comparable? Seems like something to sort out now rather than once it becomes an issue.
Down here on the gulf coast, we get heat like that for months on end. After several summers of ordering, I once let a package sit an extra 6-7 hours in my metal mailbox, which bakes in full sun, following a long overseas trip lasting a few weeks. Everything still worked as it should. These days I aim to preorder so I have enough to get through the hottest stretch, but early on I couldn't swing that when kits larger than 15 mg weren't available.

In any case, you shouldn't have any problems.
Down here in SWFL too, same situation.
 
Back
Top