Vitamin D on the low side — anyone dealt with this before?

littlerestraint

Explorer
Joined
Jul 30, 2026
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Location
Derby, UK
Hi everyone, seemed like this was the appropriate spot for this, sorry if that's not the case (this is my first post!).

My list of symptoms and ailments is ridiculously long. 48/M, in pretty rough condition, the classic tale of neglecting myself following a youth spent in debauchery. Type 2 for roughly 15 years, but I never took proper care of it (aside from the occasional try).

So, to cut it short, I'm making an effort to get myself somewhat in order (reta, TRT, actually visiting the doctor, bloods, diet, etc).

For about a year I've been on a big stack of the standard supplements (magnesium, iron, vit D/B/K2, omega 3, and whatever else). Never really noticed any difference but carried on anyway. My vit D is D3+K2, and the D is 4000iu.

So, I did a basic home test and it says I'm vitamin D deficient, like on the floor. Granted I don't get much sun etc, but I figured the tablet would take care of it, though maybe not.....

Tomorrow I'm going to ring the doctor and see whether they can give me some 'proper' tests.

Has anyone else been deficient? If so, how did it affect you, and how was it treated? More importantly, what changed once you were treated?

Thanks everyone, just trying to work out which parts of my situation might be somewhat explained by it (assuming it's true!).

Jon
 
littlerestraint said:

Hi everyone, seemed like this was the appropriate spot for this, sorry if that's not the case (this is my first post!).

My list of symptoms and ailments is ridiculously long. 48/M, in pretty rough condition, the classic tale of neglecting myself following a youth spent in debauchery. Type 2 for roughly 15 years, but I never took proper care of it (aside from the occasional try).

So, to cut it short, I'm making an effort to get myself somewhat in order (reta, TRT, actually visiting the doctor, bloods, diet, etc).

For about a year I've been on a big stack of the standard supplements (magnesium, iron, vit D/B/K2, omega 3, and whatever else). Never really noticed any difference but carried on anyway. My vit D is D3+K2, and the D is 4000iu.

So, I did a basic home test and it says I'm vitamin D deficient, like on the floor. Granted I don't get much sun etc, but I figured the tablet would take care of it, though maybe not.....

Tomorrow I'm going to ring the doctor and see whether they can give me some 'proper' tests.

Has anyone else been deficient? If so, how did it affect you, and how was it treated? More importantly, what changed once you were treated?

Thanks everyone, just trying to work out which parts of my situation might be somewhat explained by it (assuming it's true!).

Jon
My diagnosis was Vitamin D deficiency. They put me on a high-dose D3, dosed once weekly for a few months, to bring me back on track. It was only a couple bucks. Currently my routine includes a daily multivitamin—Centrum for men, for instance—plus a D3 gel cap twice weekly. That got my levels up into the normal range.

Note: The high-potency D3 I was given is meant for once-weekly use. For one week, I used it every day since I hadn't read the instructions (!), and it really messed me up. That week was like having Alzheimer's. Don't do that.
 
My vitamin D levels are low too. Once a month, my physician prescribed a single ampoule of 50,000 IU. That has some effect: it keeps me from dropping below the lower threshold, yet it doesn't push me above 50. When I attempted 100,000 for two months, my stomach couldn't tolerate it.

K2 would be worth adding, though some physicians don't.

Vitamin C also appears necessary in a decent amount. I couldn't say why, yet it supposedly supports vitamin D absorption.
 
I’ve also received a diagnosis of low vitamin D. For a while now, I’ve been taking a high weekly dose, similar to what Chili described.

I wish I could explain what the difference looked like and how my feelings changed, but I honestly can’t say I’ve felt any difference.
 
Chili777 said:

littlerestraint said:

Hi everyone, seemed like this was the appropriate spot for this, sorry if that's not the case (this is my first post!).

My list of symptoms and ailments is ridiculously long. 48/M, in pretty rough condition, the classic tale of neglecting myself following a youth spent in debauchery. Type 2 for roughly 15 years, but I never took proper care of it (aside from the occasional try).

So, to cut it short, I'm making an effort to get myself somewhat in order (reta, TRT, actually visiting the doctor, bloods, diet, etc).

For about a year I've been on a big stack of the standard supplements (magnesium, iron, vit D/B/K2, omega 3, and whatever else). Never really noticed any difference but carried on anyway. My vit D is D3+K2, and the D is 4000iu.

So, I did a basic home test and it says I'm vitamin D deficient, like on the floor. Granted I don't get much sun etc, but I figured the tablet would take care of it, though maybe not.....

Tomorrow I'm going to ring the doctor and see whether they can give me some 'proper' tests.

Has anyone else been deficient? If so, how did it affect you, and how was it treated? More importantly, what changed once you were treated?

Thanks everyone, just trying to work out which parts of my situation might be somewhat explained by it (assuming it's true!).

Jon
My diagnosis was Vitamin D deficiency. They put me on a high-dose D3, dosed once weekly for a few months, to bring me back on track. It was only a couple bucks. Currently my routine includes a daily multivitamin—Centrum for men, for instance—plus a D3 gel cap twice weekly. That got my levels up into the normal range.

Note: The high-potency D3 I was given is meant for once-weekly use. For one week, I used it every day since I hadn't read the instructions (!), and it really messed me up. That week was like having Alzheimer's. Don't do that.
Cheers, mate.

So the idea is that it gives you a lift to bring your numbers up, and then a maintenance dose ought to hold them there, instead of staying on treatment nonstop?

Thanks for your time.
 
Thank you, everyone — another person I talked with brought up a 50,000iu dose.

From what I’m gathering, after my levels come back up (assuming they actually are down), can I keep them there with my usual dose?

I appreciate your time 😉
 
Back
Top