diogenes
Explorer
How does everyone view the idea of hitting β3 to turn on brown fat and thereby raise RMR as an obesity strategy?
From what I gather, mirabegron was the earlier attempt, yet a useful RMR increase only showed up at doses as high as 200mg. At that level there was excessive norepinephrine cross-talk and β1/β2 spillover (hypertension, tachycardia, and so on). Still, it did produce results: patients gained a 200kcal/day boost, which is substantial.
I noticed a trial now running with vibegron, described as a (patented) β3 agonist with greater selectivity: https://clinicaltrials.gov/study/NCT06987383. Presumably the hope is an RMR increase minus those side effects.
Should that pan out, it looks like it might serve as a helpful add-on to GLP-1 drugs. Thoughts?
From what I gather, mirabegron was the earlier attempt, yet a useful RMR increase only showed up at doses as high as 200mg. At that level there was excessive norepinephrine cross-talk and β1/β2 spillover (hypertension, tachycardia, and so on). Still, it did produce results: patients gained a 200kcal/day boost, which is substantial.
I noticed a trial now running with vibegron, described as a (patented) β3 agonist with greater selectivity: https://clinicaltrials.gov/study/NCT06987383. Presumably the hope is an RMR increase minus those side effects.
Should that pan out, it looks like it might serve as a helpful add-on to GLP-1 drugs. Thoughts?