Urine Sodium Test Strips?

Stace_wow said:

BNLFL said:

Stace_wow said:

PinKushn said:

Stace_wow said:

PinKushn said:

Stace_wow said:

H

BNLFL said:

lessthanhalf said:

Is your fluid intake, including water, on the high side? That is not the sole reason serum sodium can drop, but it does happen quite often.
These days, no. But during January and February, yes. I was drinking a huge amount of water because I believed it would support the dieting.
What about an electrolyte with a bigger sodium load? A guy I work with ran into the same problem, and it was messing with his heart. On top of that, his blood pressure was elevated (we're blue collar in Las Vegas, so water and electrolytes are a non-negotiable part of every day). Liquid IV is fine, but it doesn't pack that much sodium. Over on Amazon you can find LMNT or Venture Pal, and those are HIGH sodium electrolyte supplements….I usually take them for hiking or when I'm sweating through the whole day, since I have to keep an eye on my sodium intake, but my coworker began using them every day and it's worked well for him.
I ran into the same problem. These days I take 2 LMNT packets daily, and my levels have returned to a good range. The cost is high for what you get, and you could definitely reduce it by buying the individual ingredients separately (LMNT even publishes their formula), but the convenience is a big plus.
Venture Pal costs much less. $10 gets you 16 packets. The electrolyte amounts match.
From what I can find, Venture PAL provides 400mg sodium, while LMNT delivers 1000mg. I haven't come across many other brands that reach that higher amount, but I'm definitely willing to give new options a shot.

View attachment 10539

Right now it's marked down to $8.49 as part of a lightning deal lol ***I went back and put in the Amazon link


https://a.co/d/0iULhxl8
How do the watermelon and grapefruit versions compare? The all-orange option costs twice as much.
I enjoy them, though the flavor is pretty much just fruit plus salt 😆 and adding salt to fruit is something I already do! Grapefruit tops the list for me 😍
That does the job.
 
I fully back the idea of discussing this with your GP and cardiologist first. It might stem from blood pressure meds, though that isn't especially frequent. And there are countless other possible reasons. Once you've got a medical opinion, the easiest route to raise sodium is salt tablets or simply adding more salt to your meals. You don't actually want the additional electrolytes found in electrolyte drinks, and if those drinks contain plenty of other positive ions besides sodium, such as Mg and K, they might even lower your serum sodium. Since sodium is the primary positive ion in blood that helps you keep blood volume and pressure, anything that raises serum sodium will probably bump blood pressure up somewhat. So you need to weigh the costs against the benefits, based on how low your measured sodium actually is.
 
Stace_wow said:

PinKushn said:

Stace_wow said:

PinKushn said:

Stace_wow said:

H

BNLFL said:

lessthanhalf said:

Is your fluid intake, including water, on the high side? That is not the sole reason serum sodium can drop, but it does happen quite often.
These days, no. But during January and February, yes. I was drinking a huge amount of water because I believed it would support the dieting.
What about an electrolyte with a bigger sodium load? A guy I work with ran into the same problem, and it was messing with his heart. On top of that, his blood pressure was elevated (we're blue collar in Las Vegas, so water and electrolytes are a non-negotiable part of every day). Liquid IV is fine, but it doesn't pack that much sodium. Over on Amazon you can find LMNT or Venture Pal, and those are HIGH sodium electrolyte supplements….I usually take them for hiking or when I'm sweating through the whole day, since I have to keep an eye on my sodium intake, but my coworker began using them every day and it's worked well for him.
I ran into the same problem. These days I take 2 LMNT packets daily, and my levels have returned to a good range. The cost is high for what you get, and you could definitely reduce it by buying the individual ingredients separately (LMNT even publishes their formula), but the convenience is a big plus.
Venture Pal costs much less. $10 gets you 16 packets. The electrolyte amounts match.
From what I can find, Venture PAL provides 400mg sodium, while LMNT delivers 1000mg. I haven't come across many other brands that reach that higher amount, but I'm definitely willing to give new options a shot.

View attachment 10539

Right now it's marked down to $8.49 as part of a lightning deal lol ***I went back and put in the Amazon link


https://a.co/d/0iULhxl8
Wow, I really appreciate it! I completely missed those. I'll test it out.
 
Every day I take in 1-2 gallons of water. When I skip LMNT or don't eat several salty meals, I end up with a huge case of the blahs. My drive and motivation disappear, and I just feel like nothing at all really. My 90 day blood test is coming up soon, a bit earlier than 90 days, but given my schedule that turned out to be the best timing.
 
I mix up my own electrolyte drink. It covers all your needs, including the sodium you're lacking. Below is the recipe I follow. To turn it into 1 cup of powder, I had AI scale it up, and every morning I stir a teaspoon of that powder into my water.

  • 2 L WATER
  • 1 TSP POTASSIUM CHLORIDE(NO SALT)
  • 1/2 TSP SODIUM CHLORIDE(HIMALAYAN PINK SALT)
  • 1 TSP SODIUM BICARBONATE(BAKING SODA)
  • 1/2 TSP MAGNESIUM SULPHATE(EPSOM SALTS - FOOD GRADE)
 
DoubtProcrastinate said:

Every day I take in 1-2 gallons of water. When I skip LMNT or don't eat several salty meals, I end up with a huge case of the blahs. My drive and motivation disappear, and I just feel like nothing at all really. My 90 day blood test is coming up soon, a bit earlier than 90 days, but given my schedule that turned out to be the best timing.
Drinking 4-8 liters (1-2 gallons) of water daily is, in fact, polydipsia—either primary or, much less commonly, of another form—and it is harmful, largely because serum sodium can drop too low. The kidneys handle fluid and electrolyte shifts quite well, yet flushing that volume through them tends to cost more sodium than the body can afford to lose. Should this be a deliberate habit, reducing intake to 2-3 liters would be wise; if it is not deliberate, a medical workup is likely warranted, and checking serum sodium along with renal function—proteinuria included—is a must. Where feasible, bringing fluid consumption down to saner levels beats simply adding electrolytes. The way you feel unwell unless you take electrolytes hints that blood electrolyte concentrations may already be affected. Obesity commonly harms the kidneys through hyperfiltration, and I would guess doubling their workload would only make matters worse.

My own experience mirrors this, and while it is fairly widespread, it usually goes undiagnosed and untreated. Over the years, dry mouth from medication plus drinking water to curb hunger while dieting pushed my intake up to 8 liters per day, and I barely registered it or considered it unusual. Serum sodium stayed normal in my case. Fortunately, GLP drugs resolved it for me, bringing it down to roughly 3-4 liters daily. That effect is recognized, though it is not yet a standard treatment—it may eventually be used for exactly this purpose.
 
lessthanhalf said:

DoubtProcrastinate said:

Every day I take in 1-2 gallons of water. When I skip LMNT or don't eat several salty meals, I end up with a huge case of the blahs. My drive and motivation disappear, and I just feel like nothing at all really. My 90 day blood test is coming up soon, a bit earlier than 90 days, but given my schedule that turned out to be the best timing.
Drinking 4-8 liters (1-2 gallons) of water daily is, in fact, polydipsia—either primary or, much less commonly, of another form—and it is harmful, largely because serum sodium can drop too low. The kidneys handle fluid and electrolyte shifts quite well, yet flushing that volume through them tends to cost more sodium than the body can afford to lose. Should this be a deliberate habit, reducing intake to 2-3 liters would be wise; if it is not deliberate, a medical workup is likely warranted, and checking serum sodium along with renal function—proteinuria included—is a must. Where feasible, bringing fluid consumption down to saner levels beats simply adding electrolytes. The way you feel unwell unless you take electrolytes hints that blood electrolyte concentrations may already be affected. Obesity commonly harms the kidneys through hyperfiltration, and I would guess doubling their workload would only make matters worse.

My own experience mirrors this, and while it is fairly widespread, it usually goes undiagnosed and untreated. Over the years, dry mouth from medication plus drinking water to curb hunger while dieting pushed my intake up to 8 liters per day, and I barely registered it or considered it unusual. Serum sodium stayed normal in my case. Fortunately, GLP drugs resolved it for me, bringing it down to roughly 3-4 liters daily. That effect is recognized, though it is not yet a standard treatment—it may eventually be used for exactly this purpose.
Fair point, though in my case heavy sweating plays a big role too—it isn't solely leaving my body through urine. Outside of my desk job, I keep a farm running once the workday ends, and Missouri summers make outdoor farm labor pretty brutal.

I have no doubt this is throwing off my electrolytes; that flat, blah feeling when I skip supplementation lines up with what you described. Rest assured, my supplement routine puts all of that back, and LMNT is only one small piece—mainly covering the sodium side when my meals carry less salt than my body needs.

Given the whole situation, cutting back on fluids isn't something I plan to do personally. Still, I genuinely appreciate your reply and respect it, particularly since you're speaking from your own experience. I suppose next week's bloodwork will tell us how things compare to my April baseline. 🙂
 
Sodium tablets are available on Amazon. In my case, I get over 3k of sodium daily through food, and a big share of that comes from eating chunks of Parmesan cheese as a snack. Salty drinks are something I can't stand, so the electrolytes I use are low in sodium.
 
BNLFL said:

Weird question, I realize. Since at least February — and actually the year before that too, before I ever started Reta, based on old lab results — I've been dealing with low sodium. Had another blood test on Wednesday, and it came back the same. Every 2 or 3 days I'll have a Gatorade or a Liquid IV, which clearly isn't cutting it. Salt barely features in my diet unless tomatoes or eggs are involved. Eating out is rare for us, and we don't buy frozen dinners, so there's no high-sodium food coming in. What I'm after is a way to test roughly once a month and see whether things are trending upward, without going for a blood draw. I get that it won't be very precise, but it might be good enough to tell if there's progress. I came across some in China, sold in 100 or 1,000 tub quantities. The UK had a few options. 2 strips for an absurd price plus shipping, duties and other charges — no thanks. Yesterday I spent hours searching and eventually gave up out of frustration. Figured I'd ask on here on the off chance, given the experience and experiences people have.

Thanks Gang
Low sodium is serious business. 3 years back I spent 9 days in the ICU because of it. I didn't realize my levels were low at all. It felt like the flu, so after my doctor ordered blood work, I went to the hospital.
 
BNLFL said:

HARLEYV2 said:

BNLFL said:

Weird question, I realize. Since at least February — and actually the year before that too, before I ever started Reta, based on old lab results — I've been dealing with low sodium. Had another blood test on Wednesday, and it came back the same. Every 2 or 3 days I'll have a Gatorade or a Liquid IV, which clearly isn't cutting it. Salt barely features in my diet unless tomatoes or eggs are involved. Eating out is rare for us, and we don't buy frozen dinners, so there's no high-sodium food coming in. What I'm after is a way to test roughly once a month and see whether things are trending upward, without going for a blood draw. I get that it won't be very precise, but it might be good enough to tell if there's progress. I came across some in China, sold in 100 or 1,000 tub quantities. The UK had a few options. 2 strips for an absurd price plus shipping, duties and other charges — no thanks. Yesterday I spent hours searching and eventually gave up out of frustration. Figured I'd ask on here on the off chance, given the experience and experiences people have.

Thanks Gang

BNLFL said:

Weird question, I realize. Since at least February — and actually the year before that too, before I ever started Reta, based on old lab results — I've been dealing with low sodium. Had another blood test on Wednesday, and it came back the same. Every 2 or 3 days I'll have a Gatorade or a Liquid IV, which clearly isn't cutting it. Salt barely features in my diet unless tomatoes or eggs are involved. Eating out is rare for us, and we don't buy frozen dinners, so there's no high-sodium food coming in. What I'm after is a way to test roughly once a month and see whether things are trending upward, without going for a blood draw. I get that it won't be very precise, but it might be good enough to tell if there's progress. I came across some in China, sold in 100 or 1,000 tub quantities. The UK had a few options. 2 strips for an absurd price plus shipping, duties and other charges — no thanks. Yesterday I spent hours searching and eventually gave up out of frustration. Figured I'd ask on here on the off chance, given the experience and experiences people have.

Thanks Gang
At the hospital, test strips aren't used at all. Instead, samples go to the lab as either blood or a 24 hr urine collection. Any thoughts on what's causing your hyponatremia?
I have no idea—none of the symptoms apply to me. It hasn't dropped to the lowest point, only low. Without those tests, I'd never have found out. I'll be seeing my usual doctor before long, and perhaps he can shed some light on it.
get those strips... if it drops too low, your heart could be in serious trouble. perhaps he's able to write a prescription for some(?)
 
CNCCurrency said:

BNLFL said:

Weird question, I realize. Since at least February — and actually the year before that too, before I ever started Reta, based on old lab results — I've been dealing with low sodium. Had another blood test on Wednesday, and it came back the same. Every 2 or 3 days I'll have a Gatorade or a Liquid IV, which clearly isn't cutting it. Salt barely features in my diet unless tomatoes or eggs are involved. Eating out is rare for us, and we don't buy frozen dinners, so there's no high-sodium food coming in. What I'm after is a way to test roughly once a month and see whether things are trending upward, without going for a blood draw. I get that it won't be very precise, but it might be good enough to tell if there's progress. I came across some in China, sold in 100 or 1,000 tub quantities. The UK had a few options. 2 strips for an absurd price plus shipping, duties and other charges — no thanks. Yesterday I spent hours searching and eventually gave up out of frustration. Figured I'd ask on here on the off chance, given the experience and experiences people have.

Thanks Gang
Low sodium is serious business. 3 years back I spent 9 days in the ICU because of it. I didn't realize my levels were low at all. It felt like the flu, so after my doctor ordered blood work, I went to the hospital.
I realize that, and I don't know how long it's been running low. The first blood test I'd had in 30 years was in March 2025. My GP appointment is early next month, so I'll find out his take. At least as of May, my cardiologist knows about it.

bamagirl26 said:

BNLFL said:

HARLEYV2 said:

BNLFL said:

Weird question, I realize. Since at least February — and actually the year before that too, before I ever started Reta, based on old lab results — I've been dealing with low sodium. Had another blood test on Wednesday, and it came back the same. Every 2 or 3 days I'll have a Gatorade or a Liquid IV, which clearly isn't cutting it. Salt barely features in my diet unless tomatoes or eggs are involved. Eating out is rare for us, and we don't buy frozen dinners, so there's no high-sodium food coming in. What I'm after is a way to test roughly once a month and see whether things are trending upward, without going for a blood draw. I get that it won't be very precise, but it might be good enough to tell if there's progress. I came across some in China, sold in 100 or 1,000 tub quantities. The UK had a few options. 2 strips for an absurd price plus shipping, duties and other charges — no thanks. Yesterday I spent hours searching and eventually gave up out of frustration. Figured I'd ask on here on the off chance, given the experience and experiences people have.

Thanks Gang

BNLFL said:

Weird question, I realize. Since at least February — and actually the year before that too, before I ever started Reta, based on old lab results — I've been dealing with low sodium. Had another blood test on Wednesday, and it came back the same. Every 2 or 3 days I'll have a Gatorade or a Liquid IV, which clearly isn't cutting it. Salt barely features in my diet unless tomatoes or eggs are involved. Eating out is rare for us, and we don't buy frozen dinners, so there's no high-sodium food coming in. What I'm after is a way to test roughly once a month and see whether things are trending upward, without going for a blood draw. I get that it won't be very precise, but it might be good enough to tell if there's progress. I came across some in China, sold in 100 or 1,000 tub quantities. The UK had a few options. 2 strips for an absurd price plus shipping, duties and other charges — no thanks. Yesterday I spent hours searching and eventually gave up out of frustration. Figured I'd ask on here on the off chance, given the experience and experiences people have.

Thanks Gang
At the hospital, test strips aren't used at all. Instead, samples go to the lab as either blood or a 24 hr urine collection. Any thoughts on what's causing your hyponatremia?
I have no idea—none of the symptoms apply to me. It hasn't dropped to the lowest point, only low. Without those tests, I'd never have found out. I'll be seeing my usual doctor before long, and perhaps he can shed some light on it.
get those strips... if it drops too low, your heart could be in serious trouble. perhaps he's able to write a prescription for some(?)
I'll hear what the doctor has to say in about a week.
 
Back
Top