Unsolicited DMs from scammers?

Vash

Explorer
Joined
Sep 2, 2024
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
This topic has come up before, but I just dealt with a scammer on Telegram trying their luck, so it's worth repeating.

When you're in a vendor's group on Telegram, Discord, or any other platform, the vendor's admins, sales reps, or agents will never send you a DM first.

If a message arrives « Welcoming you to the group » along with a self-introduction…

That person is a scammer.

Their profile picture will match one of the reps. Check the username — it'll closely resemble the rep they're pretending to be. Sometimes they'll attach a price list. They'll act extremely friendly.

Don't get taken in.
 
Vash_ said:

This topic has come up before, but I just dealt with a scammer on Telegram trying their luck, so it's worth repeating.

When you're in a vendor's group on Telegram, Discord, or any other platform, the vendor's admins, sales reps, or agents will never send you a DM first.

If a message arrives « Welcoming you to the group » along with a self-introduction…

That person is a scammer.

Their profile picture will match one of the reps. Check the username — it'll closely resemble the rep they're pretending to be. Sometimes they'll attach a price list. They'll act extremely friendly.

Don't get taken in.

On a site where I moderate, this went on for some time. Most of the time, they simply tack a period onto the end of the username.
 
Vash said:

This topic has come up before, but I just dealt with a scammer on Telegram trying their luck, so it's worth repeating.

When you're in a vendor's group on Telegram, Discord, or any other platform, the vendor's admins, sales reps, or agents will never send you a DM first.

If a message arrives « Welcoming you to the group » along with a self-introduction…

That person is a scammer.

Their profile picture will match one of the reps. Check the username — it'll closely resemble the rep they're pretending to be. Sometimes they'll attach a price list. They'll act extremely friendly.

Don't get taken in.

I just came across a thread on here about a member who fell for this scam. So it’s worth bringing this back up.
 
I just blocked and reported a person who claimed to have messaged me by mistake, thinking I was someone else. Perhaps that was true, but I’ve dealt with too many scammers, so I block immediately.

There’s a certain amusement in stringing a scammer along for a bit, then flipping them off and waiting until I can see they’ve read my middle finger before I block them. Occasionally they manage to block me first.
 
i get a kick out of stringing them along. i'll burn hours chatting them up, spinning a story about running a group buy where a supplier vanished and i'm hunting a fill-in for roughly 2,000 units, and i'm trying to push the price down, on and on. then i drop the punchline: "i need a sample so i can send it out for testing, you can send it to your moms house, ill be there after i <redacted> her <redacted> and < redacted redacted redacted>" lol good times, and my thinking is the more i keep them tied up with me, that's just that many folks they can't go bother.
 
bbbilly said:

i get a kick out of stringing them along. i'll burn hours chatting them up, spinning a story about running a group buy where a supplier vanished and i'm hunting a fill-in for roughly 2,000 units, and i'm trying to push the price down, on and on. then i drop the punchline: "i need a sample so i can send it out for testing, you can send it to your moms house, ill be there after i <redacted> her <redacted> and < redacted redacted redacted>" lol good times, and my thinking is the more i keep them tied up with me, that's just that many folks they can't go bother.

Turning the tables on a scammer—that's great!
 
Vash said:

Vash said:

This topic has come up before, but I just dealt with a scammer on Telegram trying their luck, so it's worth repeating.

When you're in a vendor's group on Telegram, Discord, or any other platform, the vendor's admins, sales reps, or agents will never send you a DM first.

If a message arrives « Welcoming you to the group » along with a self-introduction…

That person is a scammer.

Their profile picture will match one of the reps. Check the username — it'll closely resemble the rep they're pretending to be. Sometimes they'll attach a price list. They'll act extremely friendly.

Don't get taken in.

I just came across a thread on here about a member who fell for this scam. So it’s worth bringing this back up.

Absolutely, absolutely, and once more absolutely.

cc9e8d3c33e4209e1e7bc27314b04e639d1174e6d335e7b2903f93801ee5be52.webp


My guess is that, for those of us in the US at least, the root of this is how used we are to pushy sales and marketing. Back when I was a TG newbie and had just added Jeep, a message from Kelly or Molly popped up almost instantly, offering to guide me along the way. My reaction was, wow, that's pushy. It never crossed my mind that this could be a scammer. Fortunately I didn't bite and wasn't in buying mode yet, but had I been more desperate to get my hands on peptides, falling for a scam would have been all too easy.
 
Grogu said:

Vash said:

Vash said:

This topic has come up before, but I just dealt with a scammer on Telegram trying their luck, so it's worth repeating.

When you're in a vendor's group on Telegram, Discord, or any other platform, the vendor's admins, sales reps, or agents will never send you a DM first.

If a message arrives « Welcoming you to the group » along with a self-introduction…

That person is a scammer.

Their profile picture will match one of the reps. Check the username — it'll closely resemble the rep they're pretending to be. Sometimes they'll attach a price list. They'll act extremely friendly.

Don't get taken in.

I just came across a thread on here about a member who fell for this scam. So it’s worth bringing this back up.

Absolutely, absolutely, and once more absolutely.

View attachment 10535

My guess is that, for those of us in the US at least, the root of this is how used we are to pushy sales and marketing. Back when I was a TG newbie and had just added Jeep, a message from Kelly or Molly popped up almost instantly, offering to guide me along the way. My reaction was, wow, that's pushy. It never crossed my mind that this could be a scammer. Fortunately I didn't bite and wasn't in buying mode yet, but had I been more desperate to get my hands on peptides, falling for a scam would have been all too easy.
Before long, bitches are going to start showing up at your door, just like the roofers and solar salespeople around here.
 
Back
Top