Understanding GIP, GLP-1, GLP-2, and retatrutide (since "GLP-3" does not exist)

When_Pigs_Fly

Explorer
Joined
Feb 17, 2026
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Location
St Augustine, FL
I appreciate everyone sticking with me through this. Vendor labels have me puzzled.

GIP?

GLP-1? Sema?

GLP-2? Does that mean Tirz?

retatrutide (since there is no such thing as "GLP-3")? Does that refer to Reta?

How is Cagri labeled (besides Cagri…)?

Some vendors' labeling strikes me as very confusing and unclear.

Thank you ahead of time.
 
Right — 1, 2, 3 is the usual numbering they go by. As for Cagri, I believe vendor listings either spell it out as Cagri or shorten it to cag.
 
That is the behavior of research vendors working from their mother's basement, who have never consulted a lawyer, all to show they are smarter than big pharma and the regulatory agencies. These are typically the same vendors who will turn over customer information upon request, or who have no OpSec or security protections at all for customer data. The only ones they outsmart are themselves.

Stay away.
 
There are genuine drugs that target GLP-2 receptors — one of them carries FDA approval — so this kind of labeling is also irresponsible. Tirzepatide is not among them, since it does not act on those receptors. For Short Bowel Syndrome, these drugs hold out considerable promise, though for metabolic syndrome disorders the outlook is probably different.
 
I believe "GLP-1", "GLP-2", and "GLP#3" serve as handy shorthand for everyday folks to grasp how many receptors a particular medication acts on — As is common knowledge, a "1" receptor agonist = semaglutide, which targets GLP-1 .. "2" agonists = tirzepatide, which targets GLP-1 and GIP .. and "3" = retatrutide, which brings in the third Glucagon target...

But, haha... Nearly across the board, few things irritate medical professionals more than hearing the terms "GLP-2" and "GLP#3" because...

Regarding GLP-2, those medications are completely unrelated to weight loss treatments. (Take a look at the Wikipedia page on GLP-2 drugs — link here — which affect "intestinal growth, enhancement of intestinal function, reduction in bone breakdown and neuroprotection.") GLP-2s are peptides, yes, but once again, they have zero connection to GLP-1 weight loss drugs.

And concerning GLP#3, that term simply doesn't exist in medical circles. That one angers doctors the most, in my opinion. 🙂

By the way, I'm posting this just for discussion. Personally, I couldn't care less (I'm in Utah) about which words get used.

P.S. I had to write "GLP#3" rather than the hyphen, since it seems this forum software automatically swaps the standard hyphenated GLP#3 to "retatrutide." I think the forum software sides with the doctors!!!
 
PsychDoc said:

I believe "GLP-1", "GLP-2", and "GLP#3" serve as handy shorthand for everyday folks to grasp how many receptors a particular medication acts on — As is common knowledge, a "1" receptor agonist = semaglutide, which targets GLP-1 .. "2" agonists = tirzepatide, which targets GLP-1 and GIP .. and "3" = retatrutide, which brings in the third Glucagon target...

But, haha... Nearly across the board, few things irritate medical professionals more than hearing the terms "GLP-2" and "GLP#3" because...

Regarding GLP-2, those medications are completely unrelated to weight loss treatments. (Take a look at the Wikipedia page on GLP-2 drugs — link here — which affect "intestinal growth, enhancement of intestinal function, reduction in bone breakdown and neuroprotection.") GLP-2s are peptides, yes, but once again, they have zero connection to GLP-1 weight loss drugs.

And concerning GLP#3, that term simply doesn't exist in medical circles. That one angers doctors the most, in my opinion. 🙂

By the way, I'm posting this just for discussion. Personally, I couldn't care less (I'm in Utah) about which words get used.

P.S. I had to write "GLP#3" rather than the hyphen, since it seems this forum software automatically swaps the standard hyphenated GLP#3 to "retatrutide." I think the forum software sides with the doctors!!!
How nice of you to highlight that you're breaking the rules on purpose... /help/jyc-forum-rules/

PsychDoc said:

I believe "GLP-1", "GLP-2", and "GLP#3" serve as handy shorthand for everyday folks to grasp how many receptors a particular medication acts on — As is common knowledge, a "1" receptor agonist = semaglutide, which targets GLP-1 .. "2" agonists = tirzepatide, which targets GLP-1 and GIP .. and "3" = retatrutide, which brings in the third Glucagon target...

But, haha... Nearly across the board, few things irritate medical professionals more than hearing the terms "GLP-2" and "GLP#3" because...

Regarding GLP-2, those medications are completely unrelated to weight loss treatments. (Take a look at the Wikipedia page on GLP-2 drugs — link here — which affect "intestinal growth, enhancement of intestinal function, reduction in bone breakdown and neuroprotection.") GLP-2s are peptides, yes, but once again, they have zero connection to GLP-1 weight loss drugs.

And concerning GLP#3, that term simply doesn't exist in medical circles. That one angers doctors the most, in my opinion. 🙂

By the way, I'm posting this just for discussion. Personally, I couldn't care less (I'm in Utah) about which words get used.

P.S. I had to write "GLP#3" rather than the hyphen, since it seems this forum software automatically swaps the standard hyphenated GLP#3 to "retatrutide." I think the forum software sides with the doctors!!!
Spreading misinformation about something as critical as medical accuracy, especially for those seeking self-treatment, is anything but "great". 🙄

Picture someone (a/k/a "real people") who ends up in the hospital with a serious reaction, trying to tell the ER doctor they took "GLP–3" when they can't even give the correct name.

Safety, knowledge, and reducing harm matter far more than the nonsense marketing labels dreamed up by arrogant amateur pharmacists who believe they're outsmarting the authorities while congratulating themselves on their cleverness.
 
Those are solid observations. I'll go back over those rules with even greater care. Thanks.
 
ZippityDooDah said:

PsychDoc said:

I believe "GLP-1", "GLP-2", and "GLP#3" serve as handy shorthand for everyday folks to grasp how many receptors a particular medication acts on — As is common knowledge, a "1" receptor agonist = semaglutide, which targets GLP-1 .. "2" agonists = tirzepatide, which targets GLP-1 and GIP .. and "3" = retatrutide, which brings in the third Glucagon target...

But, haha... Nearly across the board, few things irritate medical professionals more than hearing the terms "GLP-2" and "GLP#3" because...

Regarding GLP-2, those medications are completely unrelated to weight loss treatments. (Take a look at the Wikipedia page on GLP-2 drugs — link here — which affect "intestinal growth, enhancement of intestinal function, reduction in bone breakdown and neuroprotection.") GLP-2s are peptides, yes, but once again, they have zero connection to GLP-1 weight loss drugs.

And concerning GLP#3, that term simply doesn't exist in medical circles. That one angers doctors the most, in my opinion. 🙂

By the way, I'm posting this just for discussion. Personally, I couldn't care less (I'm in Utah) about which words get used.

P.S. I had to write "GLP#3" rather than the hyphen, since it seems this forum software automatically swaps the standard hyphenated GLP#3 to "retatrutide." I think the forum software sides with the doctors!!!
How nice of you to highlight that you're breaking the rules on purpose... /help/jyc-forum-rules/

PsychDoc said:

I believe "GLP-1", "GLP-2", and "GLP#3" serve as handy shorthand for everyday folks to grasp how many receptors a particular medication acts on — As is common knowledge, a "1" receptor agonist = semaglutide, which targets GLP-1 .. "2" agonists = tirzepatide, which targets GLP-1 and GIP .. and "3" = retatrutide, which brings in the third Glucagon target...

But, haha... Nearly across the board, few things irritate medical professionals more than hearing the terms "GLP-2" and "GLP#3" because...

Regarding GLP-2, those medications are completely unrelated to weight loss treatments. (Take a look at the Wikipedia page on GLP-2 drugs — link here — which affect "intestinal growth, enhancement of intestinal function, reduction in bone breakdown and neuroprotection.") GLP-2s are peptides, yes, but once again, they have zero connection to GLP-1 weight loss drugs.

And concerning GLP#3, that term simply doesn't exist in medical circles. That one angers doctors the most, in my opinion. 🙂

By the way, I'm posting this just for discussion. Personally, I couldn't care less (I'm in Utah) about which words get used.

P.S. I had to write "GLP#3" rather than the hyphen, since it seems this forum software automatically swaps the standard hyphenated GLP#3 to "retatrutide." I think the forum software sides with the doctors!!!
Spreading misinformation about something as critical as medical accuracy, especially for those seeking self-treatment, is anything but "great". 🙄

Picture someone (a/k/a "real people") who ends up in the hospital with a serious reaction, trying to tell the ER doctor they took "GLP–3" when they can't even give the correct name.

Safety, knowledge, and reducing harm matter far more than the nonsense marketing labels dreamed up by arrogant amateur pharmacists who believe they're outsmarting the authorities while congratulating themselves on their cleverness.
What gave you the certainty about which specific rule was violated? Going through the rules myself, it wasn't until after some time that I grasped it. And I had no idea that terms such as Glp 2 were off-limits either.
 
When you run into a term that's prohibited, it won't be a mystery — the system swaps it out for a different word or phrase as an easter egg, like "the scammers manipulating test results for profit at Finnrisk". Attempting to dodge that easter egg by spelling the term in an alternate way breaks the rules.
 
BNLFL said:

I'm aware plenty of people do that. Nexaph even labels their Reta as NXP 3P.
From what I gather, Cain prefers that the "P" stand for "pathway". That way, 3P indicates it targets three pathways. Or something along those lines. lol
 
Goonwise said:

ZippityDooDah said:

PsychDoc said:

I believe "GLP-1", "GLP-2", and "GLP#3" serve as handy shorthand for everyday folks to grasp how many receptors a particular medication acts on — As is common knowledge, a "1" receptor agonist = semaglutide, which targets GLP-1 .. "2" agonists = tirzepatide, which targets GLP-1 and GIP .. and "3" = retatrutide, which brings in the third Glucagon target...

But, haha... Nearly across the board, few things irritate medical professionals more than hearing the terms "GLP-2" and "GLP#3" because...

Regarding GLP-2, those medications are completely unrelated to weight loss treatments. (Take a look at the Wikipedia page on GLP-2 drugs — link here — which affect "intestinal growth, enhancement of intestinal function, reduction in bone breakdown and neuroprotection.") GLP-2s are peptides, yes, but once again, they have zero connection to GLP-1 weight loss drugs.

And concerning GLP#3, that term simply doesn't exist in medical circles. That one angers doctors the most, in my opinion. 🙂

By the way, I'm posting this just for discussion. Personally, I couldn't care less (I'm in Utah) about which words get used.

P.S. I had to write "GLP#3" rather than the hyphen, since it seems this forum software automatically swaps the standard hyphenated GLP#3 to "retatrutide." I think the forum software sides with the doctors!!!
How nice of you to highlight that you're breaking the rules on purpose... /help/jyc-forum-rules/

PsychDoc said:

I believe "GLP-1", "GLP-2", and "GLP#3" serve as handy shorthand for everyday folks to grasp how many receptors a particular medication acts on — As is common knowledge, a "1" receptor agonist = semaglutide, which targets GLP-1 .. "2" agonists = tirzepatide, which targets GLP-1 and GIP .. and "3" = retatrutide, which brings in the third Glucagon target...

But, haha... Nearly across the board, few things irritate medical professionals more than hearing the terms "GLP-2" and "GLP#3" because...

Regarding GLP-2, those medications are completely unrelated to weight loss treatments. (Take a look at the Wikipedia page on GLP-2 drugs — link here — which affect "intestinal growth, enhancement of intestinal function, reduction in bone breakdown and neuroprotection.") GLP-2s are peptides, yes, but once again, they have zero connection to GLP-1 weight loss drugs.

And concerning GLP#3, that term simply doesn't exist in medical circles. That one angers doctors the most, in my opinion. 🙂

By the way, I'm posting this just for discussion. Personally, I couldn't care less (I'm in Utah) about which words get used.

P.S. I had to write "GLP#3" rather than the hyphen, since it seems this forum software automatically swaps the standard hyphenated GLP#3 to "retatrutide." I think the forum software sides with the doctors!!!
Spreading misinformation about something as critical as medical accuracy, especially for those seeking self-treatment, is anything but "great". 🙄

Picture someone (a/k/a "real people") who ends up in the hospital with a serious reaction, trying to tell the ER doctor they took "GLP–3" when they can't even give the correct name.

Safety, knowledge, and reducing harm matter far more than the nonsense marketing labels dreamed up by arrogant amateur pharmacists who believe they're outsmarting the authorities while congratulating themselves on their cleverness.
What gave you the certainty about which specific rule was violated? Going through the rules myself, it wasn't until after some time that I grasped it. And I had no idea that terms such as Glp 2 were off-limits either.

Zippity gave an explanation at this location --

ZippityDooDah said:

PsychDoc said:

I believe "GLP-1", "GLP-2", and "GLP#3" serve as handy shorthand for everyday folks to grasp how many receptors a particular medication acts on — As is common knowledge, a "1" receptor agonist = semaglutide, which targets GLP-1 .. "2" agonists = tirzepatide, which targets GLP-1 and GIP .. and "3" = retatrutide, which brings in the third Glucagon target...

But, haha... Nearly across the board, few things irritate medical professionals more than hearing the terms "GLP-2" and "GLP#3" because...

Regarding GLP-2, those medications are completely unrelated to weight loss treatments. (Take a look at the Wikipedia page on GLP-2 drugs — link here — which affect "intestinal growth, enhancement of intestinal function, reduction in bone breakdown and neuroprotection.") GLP-2s are peptides, yes, but once again, they have zero connection to GLP-1 weight loss drugs.

And concerning GLP#3, that term simply doesn't exist in medical circles. That one angers doctors the most, in my opinion. 🙂

By the way, I'm posting this just for discussion. Personally, I couldn't care less (I'm in Utah) about which words get used.

P.S. I had to write "GLP#3" rather than the hyphen, since it seems this forum software automatically swaps the standard hyphenated GLP#3 to "retatrutide." I think the forum software sides with the doctors!!!
How nice of you to highlight that you're breaking the rules on purpose... /help/jyc-forum-rules/

PsychDoc said:

I believe "GLP-1", "GLP-2", and "GLP#3" serve as handy shorthand for everyday folks to grasp how many receptors a particular medication acts on — As is common knowledge, a "1" receptor agonist = semaglutide, which targets GLP-1 .. "2" agonists = tirzepatide, which targets GLP-1 and GIP .. and "3" = retatrutide, which brings in the third Glucagon target...

But, haha... Nearly across the board, few things irritate medical professionals more than hearing the terms "GLP-2" and "GLP#3" because...

Regarding GLP-2, those medications are completely unrelated to weight loss treatments. (Take a look at the Wikipedia page on GLP-2 drugs — link here — which affect "intestinal growth, enhancement of intestinal function, reduction in bone breakdown and neuroprotection.") GLP-2s are peptides, yes, but once again, they have zero connection to GLP-1 weight loss drugs.

And concerning GLP#3, that term simply doesn't exist in medical circles. That one angers doctors the most, in my opinion. 🙂

By the way, I'm posting this just for discussion. Personally, I couldn't care less (I'm in Utah) about which words get used.

P.S. I had to write "GLP#3" rather than the hyphen, since it seems this forum software automatically swaps the standard hyphenated GLP#3 to "retatrutide." I think the forum software sides with the doctors!!!
Spreading misinformation about something as critical as medical accuracy, especially for those seeking self-treatment, is anything but "great". 🙄

Picture someone (a/k/a "real people") who ends up in the hospital with a serious reaction, trying to tell the ER doctor they took "GLP–3" when they can't even give the correct name.

Safety, knowledge, and reducing harm matter far more than the nonsense marketing labels dreamed up by arrogant amateur pharmacists who believe they're outsmarting the authorities while congratulating themselves on their cleverness.
To be precise, calling it retatrutide is the better choice.
 
Back
Top