Unable to determine whether it's food poisoning or intense side effects

For every GLP, the side effects reported most often by far are nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and constipation. Often there is no clear reason why someone ends up with one of them or a few of them, and it tends to show up early on or when the dose goes up. A dose increase of just 0.5mg still accumulates in your body over the following 4 weeks - check glp plotter, where a graph will make this easier to picture.

Usually these effects ease off, though that is not guaranteed. Longer term diarrhoea as a side effect is not something I can recall anyone complaining about, so I would assume it is unlikely, whereas nausea and vomiting may take weeks to months to fade unless the doses get adjusted.

The sensible approach is to hold off on the next dose until things have settled down. Whether or not it is a gastro bug does not really change much, since they nearly always clear up fairly quickly, and if they do not, it may be time to see a doctor, or if there is blood in feces or fever or getting dehydrated. Then once it has settled and you take the next dose, just drop the dose back to where it was before the symptoms started, and from there go up in doses more slowly than before. Ideally you want mild side effects with dose increases that can give you a heads up to slow down the increases, but it does not always work that way, sometimes it is zero side effects then sudden ones for no very obvious reason even with small or slow dose increases, but in general that approach makes it less likely.
 
dogmom said:

A parasite is spreading across the US through uncooked produce, such as salads and berries, though those aren't the only sources.
Yes, that's the case, and according to this morning's news it appears to be spreading.
 
Chili777 said:

QueenMuntha said:

Could this be Cyclospariasis? Which state are you in--that stuff is spreading like wildfire?
No pun intended there 😂

On a serious note, it's spreading, and they're advising everyone to wash all produce.
Sadly, rinsing alone won't do the trick.

In the 2 years since I began my GLP, diarrhea hasn't been a problem for me. Then, a few days back, I went through a rough night that I'm sure came from a bag of salad.
 
Out of nowhere I'll get these reta diarrhea flare ups, and there doesn't seem to be any clear trigger — they can hit at any point during my dose cycle. Most of the time it clears up within about a day. Without fail, though, it shows up whenever I bump my dosage up, and it tends to land on day 2/3. Right now I'm just lounging around at home since I raised my dose yesterday. A little while ago I tried to squeeze in a Home Depot run, and I came very close to regretting that decision 😅
 
wileyhorse said:

Out of nowhere I'll get these reta diarrhea flare ups, and there doesn't seem to be any clear trigger — they can hit at any point during my dose cycle. Most of the time it clears up within about a day. Without fail, though, it shows up whenever I bump my dosage up, and it tends to land on day 2/3. Right now I'm just lounging around at home since I raised my dose yesterday. A little while ago I tried to squeeze in a Home Depot run, and I came very close to regretting that decision 😅
I've had the same experience, and the unpredictability of when it hits is what throws me off. The most miserable instance happened while I was accompanying my mother to her knee replacement procedure. I was determined not to destroy their bathroom, so I endured the urge for roughly 3.5 hours until she was finally wheeled in for surgery—after that, I sped home like a maniac!
 
BNLFL said:

What's your dosage, and what on earth have you been eating? This is a new one to me, you might want to have a doctor take a look.
On Reta, I often get a bit of stomach discomfort, like a very full feeling — that seems pretty typical.
 
Began at .2mg, and after just 2 weeks, the only changes I've felt are a strong sense of fullness, almost like bloating, plus constipation. To keep things regular, I need miralax every day.
 
Shotgun said:

Began at .2mg, and after just 2 weeks, the only changes I've felt are a strong sense of fullness, almost like bloating, plus constipation. To keep things regular, I need miralax every day.
You can end up relying on Miralax. Be sure your fiber intake is sufficient — 10g of psyllium husk or Benefiber each day at minimum — and aim for protein grams that match your goal lean body mass in lbs, which in your case could exceed 100gr daily. Reaching that takes a LOT of yogurt and chicken/eggs, or 3 scoops of protein powder. When appetite suppression kicks in, water and electrolytes may slip your mind too, and they shouldn't!
 
Do you have lactose intolerance, and did you end up consuming dairy?

Something I figured out very fast on my own: reta makes my lactose intolerance worse.
 
Nope, I'm not. Though right now I kind of wish that were the case — miralax has done nothing for me these past 2 days. I'm thinking I'll have to quit reta. I'd love to be able to use fiber, but both soluable and insoluable versions backed me up, and I ended up seeing a doctor about it before I'd even begun reta, since my gut was already sluggish; the doc told me fiber is off the table because my guts move too slowly. That was all prior to reta. There's a longer story here, but that's the abbreviated version. My father can't have fiber either — for him it leads to a blockage.
 
Shotgun said:

Began at .2mg, and after just 2 weeks, the only changes I've felt are a strong sense of fullness, almost like bloating, plus constipation. To keep things regular, I need miralax every day.
That happened to me too, and it eventually stopped. The bloating didn't show up for me until I was well into the 4mg dose.
 
My doctor called me a super responder. He told me that beginning at 1mg might have led to stomach paralysis, given that my motility was already slow. Whether that's accurate, I have no idea, but who knows.
 
Since I began, only 4 side effects have shown up for me: 2 I was expecting, and 2 I wasn't. 1) Half my usual portion is enough to make me feel full. 2) The fullness sticks around longer, which means I end up skipping a meal since I can't handle eating again. 3) Uticaria shows up 2 days after pinning [an antihistamine shut it down entirely]. 4) My mouth is incredibly dry [I'm drinking plenty of fluids to manage it]. That said, I haven't had diarrhea or any other GI problems.
 
Back
Top