Unable to confirm identity

Sweetbutpsycho

Explorer
Joined
Apr 8, 2026
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
England
My driver's license has lapsed, so MoonPay won't let me complete ID verification. I was hoping to make my 1st grey-market buy. Is there any method to get Bitcoin without going through ID verification? Any assistance would be appreciated.
 
Sweetbutpsycho said:

My driver's license has lapsed, so MoonPay won't let me complete ID verification. I was hoping to make my 1st grey-market buy. Is there any method to get Bitcoin without going through ID verification? Any assistance would be appreciated.
Could you go to the driver's license office and obtain a standard state ID?
 
A Bitcoin ATM at a gas station would likely work for you. I have no personal experience with them, but from what I've heard, the process is simply scanning the QR code tied to your wallet with your phone and then inserting cash into the machine. The BTC then gets sent to your wallet. That said, I think the fees run higher than what you'd pay buying online.
 
Sweetbutpsycho said:

My driver's license has lapsed, so MoonPay won't let me complete ID verification. I was hoping to make my 1st grey-market buy. Is there any method to get Bitcoin without going through ID verification? Any assistance would be appreciated.
What about a passport?

Standish said:

A Bitcoin ATM at a gas station would likely work for you. I have no personal experience with them, but from what I've heard, the process is simply scanning the QR code tied to your wallet with your phone and then inserting cash into the machine. The BTC then gets sent to your wallet. That said, I think the fees run higher than what you'd pay buying online.
In the UK, these are known as petrol stations. ⛽
 
ZippityDooDah said:

Sweetbutpsycho said:

My driver's license has lapsed, so MoonPay won't let me complete ID verification. I was hoping to make my 1st grey-market buy. Is there any method to get Bitcoin without going through ID verification? Any assistance would be appreciated.
What about a passport?

Standish said:

A Bitcoin ATM at a gas station would likely work for you. I have no personal experience with them, but from what I've heard, the process is simply scanning the QR code tied to your wallet with your phone and then inserting cash into the machine. The BTC then gets sent to your wallet. That said, I think the fees run higher than what you'd pay buying online.
In the UK, these are known as petrol stations. ⛽
My passport ran out a few years back, and I haven’t bothered getting a new one since I didn’t need it. Last year I was going in and out of hospital, so I didn’t notice my driving license had lapsed until I went to verify my id. Plus, after reading all the posts on here, I’m not keen on trying to pay via PayPal
 
Standish said:

A Bitcoin ATM at a gas station would likely work for you. I have no personal experience with them, but from what I've heard, the process is simply scanning the QR code tied to your wallet with your phone and then inserting cash into the machine. The BTC then gets sent to your wallet. That said, I think the fees run higher than what you'd pay buying online.
On UK ATMs, I’m not sure whether that’s possible—if it is, I’ve never come across it
 
If you don’t have any valid ID, then honestly I can’t think of a workaround, except getting somebody else to handle it on your behalf. It’s just one more example of how much of a pain crypto can be. That said, some sellers do take telegram wallet, and you can create one without any ID.
 
If your bank account is still active, wouldn't a standard bank transfer or an easy pay through your banking app work?
 
Sweetbutpsycho said:

Standish said:

A Bitcoin ATM at a gas station would likely work for you. I have no personal experience with them, but from what I've heard, the process is simply scanning the QR code tied to your wallet with your phone and then inserting cash into the machine. The BTC then gets sent to your wallet. That said, I think the fees run higher than what you'd pay buying online.
On UK ATMs, I’m not sure whether that’s possible—if it is, I’ve never come across it
With Revolut, the process is a breeze
 
Standish said:

A Bitcoin ATM at a gas station would likely work for you. I have no personal experience with them, but from what I've heard, the process is simply scanning the QR code tied to your wallet with your phone and then inserting cash into the machine. The BTC then gets sent to your wallet. That said, I think the fees run higher than what you'd pay buying online.
My guess is that no active wallet exists on his end yet. If one did, identity verification wouldn't be necessary.
 
BBA1969 said:

If your bank account is still active, wouldn't a standard bank transfer or an easy pay through your banking app work?
Sorry, I’m completely new to this — how would I go about doing that?
 
Sweetbutpsycho said:

ZippityDooDah said:

Sweetbutpsycho said:

My driver's license has lapsed, so MoonPay won't let me complete ID verification. I was hoping to make my 1st grey-market buy. Is there any method to get Bitcoin without going through ID verification? Any assistance would be appreciated.
What about a passport?

Standish said:

A Bitcoin ATM at a gas station would likely work for you. I have no personal experience with them, but from what I've heard, the process is simply scanning the QR code tied to your wallet with your phone and then inserting cash into the machine. The BTC then gets sent to your wallet. That said, I think the fees run higher than what you'd pay buying online.
In the UK, these are known as petrol stations. ⛽
My passport ran out a few years back, and I haven’t bothered getting a new one since I didn’t need it. Last year I was going in and out of hospital, so I didn’t notice my driving license had lapsed until I went to verify my id. Plus, after reading all the posts on here, I’m not keen on trying to pay via PayPal
Should you have Paypal, crypto can be purchased through them; just make sure you transfer it into an outside wallet before you make your purchase.
 
Sweetbutpsycho said:

BBA1969 said:

If your bank account is still active, wouldn't a standard bank transfer or an easy pay through your banking app work?
Sorry, I’m completely new to this — how would I go about doing that?
From what I understand, using Moonpay within the UK means a valid ID is mandatory.

Once that’s sorted:



e9cb63152002d862ed82ea931ed7cd95d49d5da5d1b72362d10af96cf04d1579.png




Open banking in EEA & UK | MoonPay Help Center



How to use Open Banking to top up your MoonPay Balance.

0cf2add0ca0ef6d2c0958eb8ce8bf4d3896a2f54639953a52408ce82c71f8d30.png



support.moonpay.com

The linked page ought to guide you properly. It includes screenshots and a step-by-step walkthrough.

A single setup action > connect your bank through Tink

Afterwards, simply pick Top up from the menu.

And there you go, BTC becomes purchasable. Expect a holding period before moving it out.

Take note:

*
You should also set up a non custodial wallet. Move BTC from Moonpay into it, then use that to pay your vendor. "Grey" payments made straight from an exchange often lead to problems.

*At each stage, you can test with a small sum such as £5 first, observe the outcome, then proceed with the remainder. Better safe than sorry.

PS: This forum holds plenty of crypto information. Take a look before you dive in.

I wish you all the best!
 
BBA1969 said:

Sweetbutpsycho said:

BBA1969 said:

If your bank account is still active, wouldn't a standard bank transfer or an easy pay through your banking app work?
Sorry, I’m completely new to this — how would I go about doing that?
From what I understand, using Moonpay within the UK means a valid ID is mandatory.

Once that’s sorted:



View attachment 10340



Open banking in EEA & UK | MoonPay Help Center



How to use Open Banking to top up your MoonPay Balance.

View attachment 10341


support.moonpay.com

The linked page ought to guide you properly. It includes screenshots and a step-by-step walkthrough.

A single setup action > connect your bank through Tink

Afterwards, simply pick Top up from the menu.

And there you go, BTC becomes purchasable. Expect a holding period before moving it out.

Take note:

*
You should also set up a non custodial wallet. Move BTC from Moonpay into it, then use that to pay your vendor. "Grey" payments made straight from an exchange often lead to problems.

*At each stage, you can test with a small sum such as £5 first, observe the outcome, then proceed with the remainder. Better safe than sorry.

PS: This forum holds plenty of crypto information. Take a look before you dive in.

I wish you all the best!
moonpay is off the table for me right now, since it keeps prompting me to verify my id
 

Attachments

  • e9cb63152002d862ed82ea931ed7cd95d49d5da5d1b72362d10af96cf04d1579.png
    e9cb63152002d862ed82ea931ed7cd95d49d5da5d1b72362d10af96cf04d1579.png
    623.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 0cf2add0ca0ef6d2c0958eb8ce8bf4d3896a2f54639953a52408ce82c71f8d30.png
    0cf2add0ca0ef6d2c0958eb8ce8bf4d3896a2f54639953a52408ce82c71f8d30.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top