UK supermarket profits down as more people are using GLP's

At my local Walmart, I spotted a single-serve frozen dinner with a 'Glp-1 friendly!' sticker on it, which I found pretty absurd. The kicker? The ingredient list was still garbage. Plus, for a meal built around chicken, it packed just 30g of protein. You can bet some folks will spot that label and grab them thinking they're making a healthy choice. 🙄
 
Johnny D said:

NagChamp said:

Johnny D said:

Since beginning GLP, my craving for potato chips has vanished entirely.

In the past, I would go through chips in enormous quantities.

Fortunately, my appetite for alcohol remains unchanged 🥂

There was a time when I'd have some chocolate every evening after my meal, but these days it doesn't really appeal to me.

As for you, my appetite for alcohol hasn't gone anywhere (and right now it's where most of my carbs come from 😅)
When I drink, it's vodka mixed with club soda or lime juice only.

Carbs are almost nonexistent, and calories stay quite low.

After a bender, my weight doesn't go up—actually, I tend to lose 1 or 2 lbs

That's great. I'd love to have that kind of control! Wine is a weakness of mine (and being in Italy certainly doesn't make it any easier)
 
Johnny D said:

miameow said:

Johnny D said:

Since beginning GLP, my craving for potato chips has vanished entirely.

In the past, I would go through chips in enormous quantities.

Fortunately, my appetite for alcohol remains unchanged 🥂
Crisps or chips?
This crew

View attachment 9998
My guy pulls out the universal translator 🤣
 

Attachments

  • f34263c0c3d7ff6468cdf53d712a4e99216b6ab95cb2e03e336a594a20e44d77.jpg
    f34263c0c3d7ff6468cdf53d712a4e99216b6ab95cb2e03e336a594a20e44d77.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 7
Johnny D said:

NagChamp said:

Johnny D said:

Since beginning GLP, my craving for potato chips has vanished entirely.

In the past, I would go through chips in enormous quantities.

Fortunately, my appetite for alcohol remains unchanged 🥂

There was a time when I'd have some chocolate every evening after my meal, but these days it doesn't really appeal to me.

As for you, my appetite for alcohol hasn't gone anywhere (and right now it's where most of my carbs come from 😅)
When I drink, it's vodka mixed with club soda or lime juice only.

Carbs are almost nonexistent, and calories stay quite low.

After a bender, my weight doesn't go up—actually, I tend to lose 1 or 2 lbs

A gram of alcohol contains 7 calories. With 14g in a standard drink, that's 98 calories coming just from the alcohol.
 
At the same time, the opposite effect is happening: whey protein is scarce worldwide, and the cost for each gram has jumped, because nearly every food company is rushing to include it so they can put a high protein claim on their products and appeal to Glp 1 users.
 
amosmylove said:

At my local Walmart, I spotted a single-serve frozen dinner with a 'Glp-1 friendly!' sticker on it, which I found pretty absurd. The kicker? The ingredient list was still garbage. Plus, for a meal built around chicken, it packed just 30g of protein. You can bet some folks will spot that label and grab them thinking they're making a healthy choice. 🙄
My guess is we'll see this pattern spread further. Companies making food have noticed that folks on GLP 1 care less about flavor and more about packing in protein and nutrients. According to what's written in those pieces, these manufacturers aim to create fresh items targeting that audience. Yet up to now, all they appear to do is toss in a bit of protein powder, possibly shrink the serving size, and push out the same heavily processed junk. After that, they lean on flashy promotional language and count on pulling the wool over customers' eyes.
 
woundcarping said:

Johnny D said:

NagChamp said:

Johnny D said:

Since beginning GLP, my craving for potato chips has vanished entirely.

In the past, I would go through chips in enormous quantities.

Fortunately, my appetite for alcohol remains unchanged 🥂

There was a time when I'd have some chocolate every evening after my meal, but these days it doesn't really appeal to me.

As for you, my appetite for alcohol hasn't gone anywhere (and right now it's where most of my carbs come from 😅)
When I drink, it's vodka mixed with club soda or lime juice only.

Carbs are almost nonexistent, and calories stay quite low.

After a bender, my weight doesn't go up—actually, I tend to lose 1 or 2 lbs

A gram of alcohol contains 7 calories. With 14g in a standard drink, that's 98 calories coming just from the alcohol.
In any case, vodka with club soda has never caused me to put on weight.

So I'll keep doing what works for me 🍸
 
Johnny D said:

woundcarping said:

Johnny D said:

NagChamp said:

Johnny D said:

Since beginning GLP, my craving for potato chips has vanished entirely.

In the past, I would go through chips in enormous quantities.

Fortunately, my appetite for alcohol remains unchanged 🥂

There was a time when I'd have some chocolate every evening after my meal, but these days it doesn't really appeal to me.

As for you, my appetite for alcohol hasn't gone anywhere (and right now it's where most of my carbs come from 😅)
When I drink, it's vodka mixed with club soda or lime juice only.

Carbs are almost nonexistent, and calories stay quite low.

After a bender, my weight doesn't go up—actually, I tend to lose 1 or 2 lbs

A gram of alcohol contains 7 calories. With 14g in a standard drink, that's 98 calories coming just from the alcohol.
In any case, vodka with club soda has never caused me to put on weight.

So I'll keep doing what works for me 🍸
Shouldn't your liver have a say in that?
 
I've noticed the stuff in my fridge is expiring before I get a chance to finish it, so I've cut back a lot on what I buy.
 
In Thailand, too, supermarket profits have declined. After speaking with a manager at one store, the reason given was higher prices. All goods must be imported, and fuel costs have become unaffordable following the attack on Iran and the closure of the Strait of Hormuz. This has driven prices upward along with fuel costs.
 
Setting GLP use aside, how often I go to grocery stores has dropped because of what things cost. Ground beef is out of reach for me now — around $7.99 per pound. A chunk of that Covid-era price gouging, now dialed up to the nth degree, needs a serious reality check. Sure, you guys enjoyed a stretch of record profits, that's fine, but the consumer has a breaking point. You've reached it.
 
spanky2026 said:

Setting GLP use aside, how often I go to grocery stores has dropped because of what things cost. Ground beef is out of reach for me now — around $7.99 per pound. A chunk of that Covid-era price gouging, now dialed up to the nth degree, needs a serious reality check. Sure, you guys enjoyed a stretch of record profits, that's fine, but the consumer has a breaking point. You've reached it.
Diesel costs climb, and grocery bills follow suit. American cattle numbers have sunk to a multi-decade low. Suicide rates among farmers are far higher than average. There's more I could mention, yet price gouging by big agriculture isn't the whole story. Even so, big ag drove the family farmer out of existence.
 
Johnny D said:


I'm guessing the stats are the same in North-America. Maybe even more so??

People are simply eating and snacking less, which causes food profits to drop significantly.

Will get worse as well as more and more people start using GLP's.



b2c5cb2ca2a791d106f5e07449a6d011d68d60c4a03778d3972fa3ef5992706e.jpg




Surge in use of weight loss jabs hitting supermarket sales



The rise of the “small appetites” economy as consumers slim down

573796da0b1a5b8f9eaae3b53e0275444bb8596224c811e8f91afaacee73aa72.png



www.independent.co.uk

Click to expand...
Could the economy and inflation be playing a role too? My thought was that fast food sales might climb, because on GLP's people can eat larger amounts of less healthy food and still shed weight.
 
spanky2026 said:

Setting GLP use aside, how often I go to grocery stores has dropped because of what things cost. Ground beef is out of reach for me now — around $7.99 per pound. A chunk of that Covid-era price gouging, now dialed up to the nth degree, needs a serious reality check. Sure, you guys enjoyed a stretch of record profits, that's fine, but the consumer has a breaking point. You've reached it.
Could it be that both factors are at play?

Groceries cost too much, and GLP users are cutting back on how much they eat
 
Johnny D said:


I'm guessing the stats are the same in North-America. Maybe even more so??

People are simply eating and snacking less, which causes food profits to drop significantly.

Will get worse as well as more and more people start using GLP's.



GettyImages-2267012309.jpeg




Surge in use of weight loss jabs hitting supermarket sales



The rise of the “small appetites” economy as consumers slim down

icon-192x192.png



www.independent.co.uk

Click to expand...
I had been waiting to see when folks would finally catch on, drop the junk food and go for whole foods that don't come in packaging. Seems like that shift is underway now. I've gone that route with my own eating as well.
 

Attachments

  • b2c5cb2ca2a791d106f5e07449a6d011d68d60c4a03778d3972fa3ef5992706e.jpg
    b2c5cb2ca2a791d106f5e07449a6d011d68d60c4a03778d3972fa3ef5992706e.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 573796da0b1a5b8f9eaae3b53e0275444bb8596224c811e8f91afaacee73aa72.png
    573796da0b1a5b8f9eaae3b53e0275444bb8596224c811e8f91afaacee73aa72.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 4
I pulled out a block of cheese from my fridge and noticed it had passed its date. No problem, I'm still eating it anyway, but what really surprised me is that it sat in there long enough for that to happen. There was a time when I went through cheese so fast that I'd finish it months ahead of the use by date.
 
Heard on the radio recently.....a report said overall trucking had fallen 1-3% because of GLP use.

That feels like they're using it as a scapegoat. My take is that folks are looking for fresher, local options and purchasing less because of cost. I'm not saying GLPs play no part, I just doubt they're the whole issue.
 
Back
Top