UK supermarket profits down as more people are using GLP's

Johnny D

Explorer
Joined
Apr 25, 2026
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My guess is that North America shows the same numbers. Perhaps even higher??

Since folks are just consuming less food and fewer snacks, grocery earnings take a serious hit.

And it'll keep getting worse, since GLP use keeps spreading.



b2c5cb2ca2a791d106f5e07449a6d011d68d60c4a03778d3972fa3ef5992706e.jpg




Surge in use of weight loss jabs hitting supermarket sales



The rise of the “small appetites” economy as consumers slim down

573796da0b1a5b8f9eaae3b53e0275444bb8596224c811e8f91afaacee73aa72.png



www.independent.co.uk
 
Households using these products spend £418 less than those who do not.

That figure is far higher than my expectation. I'm curious whether alcohol and cigarettes are factored in too. It's good to see more individuals finding this, getting healthier, and keeping more cash in their pockets.

Crisp and chocolate purchases have dropped the most, but oral care item sales have risen because of injection side-effects, including bad breath.

I didn't know bad breath was a frequent side effect... Curious that they skipped mentioning a rise in laxative sales.
 
Since beginning GLP, my craving for potato chips has vanished entirely.

In the past, I would go through chips in enormous quantities.

Fortunately, my appetite for alcohol remains unchanged 🥂
 
Johnny D said:

Since beginning GLP, my craving for potato chips has vanished entirely.

In the past, I would go through chips in enormous quantities.

Fortunately, my appetite for alcohol remains unchanged 🥂
Crisps or chips?
 
Johnny D said:

Since beginning GLP, my craving for potato chips has vanished entirely.

In the past, I would go through chips in enormous quantities.

Fortunately, my appetite for alcohol remains unchanged 🥂
My craving for alcohol stayed exactly the same.
 
Deonitis said:

Johnny D said:

Since beginning GLP, my craving for potato chips has vanished entirely.

In the past, I would go through chips in enormous quantities.

Fortunately, my appetite for alcohol remains unchanged 🥂
My craving for alcohol stayed exactly the same.
For certain individuals, that holds true. I genuinely feel bad for those folks 😀
 
Even though my food intake has gone down, inflation has forced me to spend more on groceries. In my everyday routine, GLP1s are the sole items that are cheaper now than they were 12 months ago.
 
Habibibi said:

Even though my food intake has gone down, inflation has forced me to spend more on groceries. In my everyday routine, GLP1s are the sole items that are cheaper now than they were 12 months ago.
Because "whole food" choices have become too expensive for me, particularly while I'm weight training, I've switched my diet over to greek yogurt and protein ultrafiltered milk.
 
miameow said:

Johnny D said:

Since beginning GLP, my craving for potato chips has vanished entirely.

In the past, I would go through chips in enormous quantities.

Fortunately, my appetite for alcohol remains unchanged 🥂
Crisps or chips?

Over in the UK, what Americans call chips are known as crisps, while fries go by the name chips. 🤷🏻‍♂️
 
6.3% of 418 per household isn't much when you look at total grocery sales.

To make up for dropping sales of inexpensive, calorie-dense items, they're clearly pushing a bunch of new high-protein options — which tend to still be quite high in calories — at roughly double the cost of the regular versions.
 
Grogu said:

miameow said:

Johnny D said:

Since beginning GLP, my craving for potato chips has vanished entirely.

In the past, I would go through chips in enormous quantities.

Fortunately, my appetite for alcohol remains unchanged 🥂
Crisps or chips?

Over in the UK, what Americans call chips are known as crisps, while fries go by the name chips. 🤷🏻‍♂️
In America, the word chips refers to fries, while crisps are what get called chips. Being British, I naturally switch my vocabulary when talking with Americans, so I cannot be certain what the original poster means by "chips" — that is why I asked.
 
miameow said:


Actually, in the US chips are fries and crisps are chips. As a Brit, I of course adapt when I am speaking to Americans and I can't say for sure what op means by "chips," hence the question.

Click to expand...

Yeah, my take on this is purely American. "Fish and chips" is the sole case I can come up with where chips means fries; apart from that, saying potato chips almost always points to the bagged snack, not fried potatoes—99.9% of the time. Since the OP is Canadian, and I think Canada follows the same convention as the US, that fits. The piece itself comes from a UK outlet and says "crisps," so my read is OP was talking about US chips.
 
Johnny D said:

Since beginning GLP, my craving for potato chips has vanished entirely.

In the past, I would go through chips in enormous quantities.

Fortunately, my appetite for alcohol remains unchanged 🥂

There was a time when I'd have some chocolate every evening after my meal, but these days it doesn't really appeal to me.

As for you, my appetite for alcohol hasn't gone anywhere (and right now it's where most of my carbs come from 😅)
 
Grogu said:


Oh, I’m definitely looking at this from a US perspective. The only instance that I can think of where fries are referred to as chips is “fish and chips”, otherwise when someone says potato chips 99.9% of the time they are referring to the snack food not deep fried potatoes. The OP is from Canada where I believe the usage is the same as the US. The original article is from a UK source and mentions crips, so I think OP meant US chips.

Click to expand...
Unless the original poster happens to be a British person living in North America, just like myself..! Still, I'm with you. It makes complete sense.
 
Habibibi said:

Even though my food intake has gone down, inflation has forced me to spend more on groceries. In my everyday routine, GLP1s are the sole items that are cheaper now than they were 12 months ago.
I'm with you on this, though I'd draw one major line between two things. A sizable chunk of what I now spend at the supermarket is down to picking better options. Yes, costs have climbed sharply. But there's also the reality that buying items that are genuinely food rather than some out-of-control chemistry experiment costs vastly more. That alone is a disgrace.
 
NagChamp said:

Johnny D said:

Since beginning GLP, my craving for potato chips has vanished entirely.

In the past, I would go through chips in enormous quantities.

Fortunately, my appetite for alcohol remains unchanged 🥂

There was a time when I'd have some chocolate every evening after my meal, but these days it doesn't really appeal to me.

As for you, my appetite for alcohol hasn't gone anywhere (and right now it's where most of my carbs come from 😅)
When I drink, it's vodka mixed with club soda or lime juice only.

Carbs are almost nonexistent, and calories stay quite low.

After a bender, my weight doesn't go up—actually, I tend to lose 1 or 2 lbs
 
Back
Top