Type 1 and Really Enjoying Reta

darkreta120

Explorer
Joined
Apr 2, 2026
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Location
NYC
It’s been roughly three weeks since I started Reta, at a dose of 2mg, and my blood glucose has improved in a big way. The drop in my insulin resistance has been huge. Appetite suppression hasn’t really shown up for me, but since my blood glucose has stayed so steady, I’ve been able to cut back on carbs more and more without lows or needing corrections. I’m also taking less insulin, which is a plus, and I feel much better overall. I didn’t expect this kind of improvement this soon, but watching it happen has been wonderful. According to my CGM, my sugars have been 7% better over the past month; that’s about a .4 lower A1C, and 20% better across the last week.
 
That is a fantastic result! I am pre-diabetic myself, and my hope is that reta plus diet and exercise will bring me fully back to normal.
 
type 1 here - i'm beginning reta next week. i just finished 6 months on tirz (zepbound), and my a1c fell a lot, from a high of 8.9 down to 6.5 now. that's the best it has ever been. i also lost 60lbs, and i have natural energy plus the best sleep of my life too. good luck with everything! your life is about to get a whole lot better
 
derekd419 said:

type 1 here - i'm beginning reta next week. i just finished 6 months on tirz (zepbound), and my a1c fell a lot, from a high of 8.9 down to 6.5 now. that's the best it has ever been. i also lost 60lbs, and i have natural energy plus the best sleep of my life too. good luck with everything! your life is about to get a whole lot better
How did tirz affect your insulin sensitivity? While I’ve been on Reta, appetite suppression hasn’t been something I’ve really felt, but insulin sensitivity has gotten much better for me.
 
darkreta120 said:

derekd419 said:

type 1 here - i'm beginning reta next week. i just finished 6 months on tirz (zepbound), and my a1c fell a lot, from a high of 8.9 down to 6.5 now. that's the best it has ever been. i also lost 60lbs, and i have natural energy plus the best sleep of my life too. good luck with everything! your life is about to get a whole lot better
How did tirz affect your insulin sensitivity? While I’ve been on Reta, appetite suppression hasn’t been something I’ve really felt, but insulin sensitivity has gotten much better for me.
I now need only about 50 units across 3 days. Before tirz, I was using 200+ units per 3 days. Lows hit me a few times each week, and my glucose seldom goes above 160. Honestly, it has been remarkable.

When it comes to appetite, tirz does a better job of suppressing it. For fat loss, reta has the advantage.
 
Type 1 here as well, and I’m on Reta. I’m in my 4th week at this point, and roughly 10lbs have come off. Keeping my blood sugar in check has been incredible — everything feels far more stable. I’ve needed to bring my basal rate down, and my insulin sensitivity overall is much better. Food used to be the center of my world; these days it’s almost an after thought. It’s so liberating.
 
darkreta120 said:

It’s been roughly three weeks since I started Reta, at a dose of 2mg, and my blood glucose has improved in a big way. The drop in my insulin resistance has been huge. Appetite suppression hasn’t really shown up for me, but since my blood glucose has stayed so steady, I’ve been able to cut back on carbs more and more without lows or needing corrections. I’m also taking less insulin, which is a plus, and I feel much better overall. I didn’t expect this kind of improvement this soon, but watching it happen has been wonderful. According to my CGM, my sugars have been 7% better over the past month; that’s about a .4 lower A1C, and 20% better across the last week.
The fact that I'm taking Reta isn't something I've told my family, friends, or the medical team handling my diabetes; the judgement and that kind of nonsense keep me from doing so. I've researched it myself and know my own body best, so I don't personally feel any need to share it. I'm curious whether other Type 1's are telling their doctors, and how those doctors react.
 
Type 1 isn't my situation, though Type 1 & 2 both appear in my family. So far my a1c hasn't moved in a positive direction. For roughly a month I've been taking Reta 1 mg. Even at that dose, appetite suppression has been enough that I'm dropping about 2 lbs / week. When I checked 3 months ago, before starting Reta, my a1c sat at 5.5. Yesterday I had it tested on a whim — my doc didn't think it was needed, but I wanted to track it — and now it reads 5.7. My plan is to bump up to 2 mg and get retested in a couple months.
 
derekd419 said:

darkreta120 said:

derekd419 said:

type 1 here - i'm beginning reta next week. i just finished 6 months on tirz (zepbound), and my a1c fell a lot, from a high of 8.9 down to 6.5 now. that's the best it has ever been. i also lost 60lbs, and i have natural energy plus the best sleep of my life too. good luck with everything! your life is about to get a whole lot better
How did tirz affect your insulin sensitivity? While I’ve been on Reta, appetite suppression hasn’t been something I’ve really felt, but insulin sensitivity has gotten much better for me.
I now need only about 50 units across 3 days. Before tirz, I was using 200+ units per 3 days. Lows hit me a few times each week, and my glucose seldom goes above 160. Honestly, it has been remarkable.

When it comes to appetite, tirz does a better job of suppressing it. For fat loss, reta has the advantage.
Only 3 weeks in and the change is huge!! Way to go - stay with it.
 
darkreta120 said:

It’s been roughly three weeks since I started Reta, at a dose of 2mg, and my blood glucose has improved in a big way. The drop in my insulin resistance has been huge. Appetite suppression hasn’t really shown up for me, but since my blood glucose has stayed so steady, I’ve been able to cut back on carbs more and more without lows or needing corrections. I’m also taking less insulin, which is a plus, and I feel much better overall. I didn’t expect this kind of improvement this soon, but watching it happen has been wonderful. According to my CGM, my sugars have been 7% better over the past month; that’s about a .4 lower A1C, and 20% better across the last week.
This is fantastic!
 
Terminix8 said:

Type 1 isn't my situation, though Type 1 & 2 both appear in my family. So far my a1c hasn't moved in a positive direction. For roughly a month I've been taking Reta 1 mg. Even at that dose, appetite suppression has been enough that I'm dropping about 2 lbs / week. When I checked 3 months ago, before starting Reta, my a1c sat at 5.5. Yesterday I had it tested on a whim — my doc didn't think it was needed, but I wanted to track it — and now it reads 5.7. My plan is to bump up to 2 mg and get retested in a couple months.
Fasting glucose came down from 96 to 73 while I was taking 2mg/week of Reta. My A1C decreased in a corresponding way too. That happened after roughly 3 months on it.
 
derekd419 said:

type 1 here - i'm beginning reta next week. i just finished 6 months on tirz (zepbound), and my a1c fell a lot, from a high of 8.9 down to 6.5 now. that's the best it has ever been. i also lost 60lbs, and i have natural energy plus the best sleep of my life too. good luck with everything! your life is about to get a whole lot better
Jumping in here—your results are great. I’m not anting to lose roughly 50 lbs and bring my a1c beneath the 5.6 it currently is. Once I get this all sorted out, I’ll start tirz and hope it takes me where I want to be.
 
tendency said:

Terminix8 said:

Type 1 isn't my situation, though Type 1 & 2 both appear in my family. So far my a1c hasn't moved in a positive direction. For roughly a month I've been taking Reta 1 mg. Even at that dose, appetite suppression has been enough that I'm dropping about 2 lbs / week. When I checked 3 months ago, before starting Reta, my a1c sat at 5.5. Yesterday I had it tested on a whim — my doc didn't think it was needed, but I wanted to track it — and now it reads 5.7. My plan is to bump up to 2 mg and get retested in a couple months.
Fasting glucose came down from 96 to 73 while I was taking 2mg/week of Reta. My A1C decreased in a corresponding way too. That happened after roughly 3 months on it.
This is wonderful to hear! The reason I joined is that I want outcomes like that too. I've spent a long time reading the pepps space without joining in, though I didn't picture myself dipping a toe in the glass right at the start. Regardless, I'm hoping things go well, and that it helps my significant other who gets sick over shots feel somewhat more at ease about the whole thing.
 
BigDaddyJ said:

derekd419 said:

type 1 here - i'm beginning reta next week. i just finished 6 months on tirz (zepbound), and my a1c fell a lot, from a high of 8.9 down to 6.5 now. that's the best it has ever been. i also lost 60lbs, and i have natural energy plus the best sleep of my life too. good luck with everything! your life is about to get a whole lot better
Jumping in here—your results are great. I’m not anting to lose roughly 50 lbs and bring my a1c beneath the 5.6 it currently is. Once I get this all sorted out, I’ll start tirz and hope it takes me where I want to be.
appreciate it, man! I'm definitely pleased with what I've seen up to this point. There was a 4 week stretch where my weight wouldn't budge from 216, and that lined up with when I began reta. Then on week 5 I stepped on the scale once more and was down 11 pounds, which brought me to 205. I'm aiming for 165-170, and that number keeps getting nearer
 
Type 1 here as well. I began in Nov 2025, and I’ve lost close to 40lbs, brought my A1c down to 6%, and needed a basal reduction from .7 to .5. For my diabetes, Reta has worked like a miracle, and I intend to keep using it indefinitely. With my endo, I merely told him I’m on a GLP! without saying which one, and luckily he didn’t inquire. He was still quite impressed by my numbers, though.
 
kobeanbry24 said:

That is a fantastic result! I am pre-diabetic myself, and my hope is that reta plus diet and exercise will bring me fully back to normal.
Kobe, a year ago my a1c sat at 6.5, which put me in the pre diabetes range. Then came 4 months of Reta, during which I dropped 27kgs, with the dose topping out at 3mg. These days I'm clear of it, my a1c reading 4.4.

As for exercise, I get out every day for roughly an hour of brisk walking, plus a bit of light dumbbell work at home using a full body routine that chat gpt put together
 
A few months on reta was enough for me to turn pre-diabetes around. I mentioned this to a coworker of mine who has type 1, and now he's considering giving it a go. I'll be following this thread closely. Don't stop updating! I'd guess there are type 1 diabetics out there who've used reta for a longer stretch. Speak up.
 
i know someone who is pre diabetic. he had been using tirz, then made the switch to reta, but his sugar levels spiked, so he went back to tirz. i'm not sure what his diet looks like, but i have a feeling it isn't great.

what i find fascinating is that i think the glucagon receptor is what causes us to burn more energy, and one way that happens is by getting the liver to release sugar into the blood. but for all of you with type 1, this does occur, yet it seems to happen at a rate where the muscles use it up and your blood sugar doesn't rise! i really wish i had a better grasp of how this drug functions, but it's amazing that all of you are bringing your A1C down
 
I have insulin resistance, and before dropping the weight I was sitting at borderline pre-diabetic. These days my A1c reads 4,5, though my insulin remains elevated. (this is while on tirz or reta)
 
Back
Top