Travelling (Flights)

Ryty2266 said:

Has anyone flown with Tirz or Reta into or out of airports in the UK or US? Did security give you any trouble?
Not long ago I took a trip that went LAX → Calgary, then Lethbridge → Calgary → Los Angeles. Inside a cooled insulin travel case (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SYZ22GS?ref_=ppx_hzsearch_conn_dt_b_fed_asin_title_13&th=1) I carried my peptides in injection pens — 5 in total. I also picked up some metallic medical tags and attached one of them to that case (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DS56SL19?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1).

Probably irrelevant, but the peptides I brought along were: Tirz, BPC-157 (X2), NAD+, and 5amino.

At LAX, nobody even removed the case from my backpack to look at it. When I departed from Lethbridge, they did take it out and asked what it was, but the moment I said it was medicine that had to stay cold and showed them the medical tag, they dropped it straight back into my bag and asked nothing else.
 
Ryty2266 said:

Has anyone flown with Tirz or Reta into or out of airports in the UK or US? Did security give you any trouble?
Last August I flew from the US into the UK. In my bag was an Amazon travel case holding a reconstituted tirz vial, plus syringes and alcohol wipes, along with gel freezer packs. Neither leg prompted any questions.
 
Reconstituted is generally completely fine, and you'll find loads of stories on the web that match what was said above (my own experience has been problem-free too). As for lyophilized, that strikes me as far more hazardous—I wouldn't take that chance myself.
 
I'm a frequent US flyer and I bring along a single vial of reconstituted GLP1 along with a prefilled syringe that's prescribed. I've got prescriptions for both, though TSA has zero interest in that paperwork. What they do pull out every single time is the ice pack inside my little fabric lunch box. These days gel ice packs pass even when they've melted. Small quantities of personal meds don't raise any flags. I've also got a pill organizer loaded with a week's worth of assorted supplements plus a handful of prescription tablets, and nobody bats an eye at that either.

TIP: Put the ice pack right on top so they never need to dig through your medication case.

Every so often I travel abroad to AUS and Asia, though I've never brought peps along. I've been through a few basic inspections, and when they spotted my prescribed prefilled syringes or pills they weren't bothered, but since no vials were in my bag I can't offer guidance on that. Personally, I wouldn't attempt to bring anything except a GLP1, and only if there's a prescription. I've watched those Border Patrol shows where they mistake things for something illicit. Some folks also suggest leaving it unlabeled and claiming it's insulin, since testing comes back negative for anything prohibited.
 
Put everything in 1 medical travel bag inside your carryon. Domestic and international flights — never had anyone ask me anything. Reconstituted vials are what I'd suggest too. Mine always have labels on them.
 
A bit off topic...

Upon landing in Osaka, Japan, the customs officer — who didn't speak English — produced a chart showing prohibited goods and went down it item by item while I answered no to every one. Once he'd gotten through all 40+ entries, he circled back to the green leaf that's now legal in some US states. He jabbed at it over and over, and kept at it so long that my wife and I grew weary of repeating no and ended up laughing. We were escorted into separate rooms, our bags and shoes were searched, and then we were patted down. Nothing they were after turned up on us.

While he kept pointing at it, it felt like that Ferris Bueller teacher repeating "Anyone, Anyone?" — I swear he gestured at it for 5 minutes.
 
A question for anyone claiming that getting reconstituted peptide vials past customs was easy...

Was there an actual look or inspection of the vials, or did you simply pass through unnoticed?

Those two situations are not the same.

***Keep in mind, something permitted in 1 nation may be prohibited in others, and a handful impose the death penalty for what they classify as illicit substances. With no Rx, they hold all the power.
 
Multiple trips between FL and Costa Rica, plus domestic flights, have been done by me carrying compounded Tirzepatide from ProRx. Not once have I been pulled aside or asked anything. My bag isn't even sent over to the manual inspection line.

A Ziploc bag holds all of it. Inside go the syringes, alcohol wipes, and the vial, which is wrapped up with small ice packs and foam. A paper copy of the prescription goes in too. It stays in my carry-on, though when the tray comes around for TSA inspection, I pull it out and set it beside the carry-on.

That said, what I had was an official prescription with official documentation. Were I travelling with my own reconstituted stuff, my approach would probably be to spend the time creating a label for the vial that looks official.

Most likely nobody will give you a second glance. Thousands of diabetics pass by them daily.
 
Not long ago I went from the US to Hungary, and afterward flew Munich back to the US, carrying roughly 10 syringes that were already filled. Nothing came up, no one asked anything.

During that same journey, my mom's route was US to Hungary, and then Munich to Costa Rica. She had a vial that had been reconstituted plus 2 that were still not reconstituted. She also got through with zero issues and no questions.
 
nitetrak said:

A bit off topic...

Upon landing in Osaka, Japan, the customs officer — who didn't speak English — produced a chart showing prohibited goods and went down it item by item while I answered no to every one. Once he'd gotten through all 40+ entries, he circled back to the green leaf that's now legal in some US states. He jabbed at it over and over, and kept at it so long that my wife and I grew weary of repeating no and ended up laughing. We were escorted into separate rooms, our bags and shoes were searched, and then we were patted down. Nothing they were after turned up on us.

While he kept pointing at it, it felt like that Ferris Bueller teacher repeating "Anyone, Anyone?" — I swear he gestured at it for 5 minutes.
Seriously, what the heck — I can't figure out what made them suspect you were carrying any. When I arrived in Tokyo by plane, nothing of the sort happened to me.
 
The catch is that customs selection is random. Sure, you sail through unobserved and enter the country with nobody the wiser about what's in your bag that shouldn't be.

I get picked for extra screening far too often to risk smuggling anything through anyone's border. Being refused entry is the last thing I want, so I put the question to AI. What it says matches the border patrol shows I've watched.

Sort out a prescription before you cross any border.

US: An unapproved research compound such as retatrutide, or tirzepatide, imported with no valid authorisation or prescription can breach FDA import rules and the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act covering introduction of unapproved drugs; CBP alongside the FDA routinely seizes detains such misbranded or unapproved GLP-1 products and may refuse entry (for small personal amounts with no intent to distribute, criminal or civil referral is uncommon). FDA2

UK: Tirzepatide brought in without a prescription, or an unlicensed research drug such as retatrutide, can breach the Human Medicines Regulations (import/supply of unlicensed medicines) and MHRA rules; UK Border Force/MHRA can seize and detain the goods, refuse importation and—where there's evidence of supply or a serious breach—pursue regulatory enforcement or prosecution.
 
cheaperseeker said:

nitetrak said:

A bit off topic...

Upon landing in Osaka, Japan, the customs officer — who didn't speak English — produced a chart showing prohibited goods and went down it item by item while I answered no to every one. Once he'd gotten through all 40+ entries, he circled back to the green leaf that's now legal in some US states. He jabbed at it over and over, and kept at it so long that my wife and I grew weary of repeating no and ended up laughing. We were escorted into separate rooms, our bags and shoes were searched, and then we were patted down. Nothing they were after turned up on us.

While he kept pointing at it, it felt like that Ferris Bueller teacher repeating "Anyone, Anyone?" — I swear he gestured at it for 5 minutes.
Seriously, what the heck — I can't figure out what made them suspect you were carrying any. When I arrived in Tokyo by plane, nothing of the sort happened to me.
We only had backpacks on us, no checked luggage, since the trip lasted 2 full days and 1 night. As we went by the baggage carousel, they kept saying we must have left something behind. We wanted to get out quickly so we could fit in sightseeing before the next day's flight. Because there was nothing else for them to do until the rest of the passengers collected their bags, they pulled us aside right away. We had been set to leave first, but in the end we were the last ones out.
 
nitetrak said:

The catch is that customs selection is random. Sure, you sail through unobserved and enter the country with nobody the wiser about what's in your bag that shouldn't be.

I get picked for extra screening far too often to risk smuggling anything through anyone's border. Being refused entry is the last thing I want, so I put the question to AI. What it says matches the border patrol shows I've watched.

Sort out a prescription before you cross any border.

US: An unapproved research compound such as retatrutide, or tirzepatide, imported with no valid authorisation or prescription can breach FDA import rules and the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act covering introduction of unapproved drugs; CBP alongside the FDA routinely seizes detains such misbranded or unapproved GLP-1 products and may refuse entry (for small personal amounts with no intent to distribute, criminal or civil referral is uncommon). FDA2

UK: Tirzepatide brought in without a prescription, or an unlicensed research drug such as retatrutide, can breach the Human Medicines Regulations (import/supply of unlicensed medicines) and MHRA rules; UK Border Force/MHRA can seize and detain the goods, refuse importation and—where there's evidence of supply or a serious breach—pursue regulatory enforcement or prosecution.
That's logical. Still, I'm curious whether there's any method for them to determine it's tirz, particularly when it's inside a pen. Or whether they could test for insulin, assuming that's what you say it is.
 
nitetrak said:

cheaperseeker said:

nitetrak said:

A bit off topic...

Upon landing in Osaka, Japan, the customs officer — who didn't speak English — produced a chart showing prohibited goods and went down it item by item while I answered no to every one. Once he'd gotten through all 40+ entries, he circled back to the green leaf that's now legal in some US states. He jabbed at it over and over, and kept at it so long that my wife and I grew weary of repeating no and ended up laughing. We were escorted into separate rooms, our bags and shoes were searched, and then we were patted down. Nothing they were after turned up on us.

While he kept pointing at it, it felt like that Ferris Bueller teacher repeating "Anyone, Anyone?" — I swear he gestured at it for 5 minutes.
Seriously, what the heck — I can't figure out what made them suspect you were carrying any. When I arrived in Tokyo by plane, nothing of the sort happened to me.
We only had backpacks on us, no checked luggage, since the trip lasted 2 full days and 1 night. As we went by the baggage carousel, they kept saying we must have left something behind. We wanted to get out quickly so we could fit in sightseeing before the next day's flight. Because there was nothing else for them to do until the rest of the passengers collected their bags, they pulled us aside right away. We had been set to leave first, but in the end we were the last ones out.
Yeah, I get how that might come across as a little suspicious. Nice work squeezing it all into backpacks, even if the trip was only a few days long! It's a shame that it ate into your limited time away.
 
Ryty2266 said:

Has anyone flown with Tirz or Reta into or out of airports in the UK or US? Did security give you any trouble?
Why do those who said they'd leave the powder vials behind feel that way? I regularly carry gummies and I doubt anyone cares. Are they imagining the vial looks like some hard drug or hazardous substance? I've got a trip coming up….
 
cheaperseeker said:

nitetrak said:

The catch is that customs selection is random. Sure, you sail through unobserved and enter the country with nobody the wiser about what's in your bag that shouldn't be.

I get picked for extra screening far too often to risk smuggling anything through anyone's border. Being refused entry is the last thing I want, so I put the question to AI. What it says matches the border patrol shows I've watched.

Sort out a prescription before you cross any border.

US: An unapproved research compound such as retatrutide, or tirzepatide, imported with no valid authorisation or prescription can breach FDA import rules and the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act covering introduction of unapproved drugs; CBP alongside the FDA routinely seizes detains such misbranded or unapproved GLP-1 products and may refuse entry (for small personal amounts with no intent to distribute, criminal or civil referral is uncommon). FDA2

UK: Tirzepatide brought in without a prescription, or an unlicensed research drug such as retatrutide, can breach the Human Medicines Regulations (import/supply of unlicensed medicines) and MHRA rules; UK Border Force/MHRA can seize and detain the goods, refuse importation and—where there's evidence of supply or a serious breach—pursue regulatory enforcement or prosecution.
That's logical. Still, I'm curious whether there's any method for them to determine it's tirz, particularly when it's inside a pen. Or whether they could test for insulin, assuming that's what you say it is.
There was a single case I came across where a swab test was done, it tested negative for anything dangerous, yet the item was still forwarded to a hospital for additional testing — it felt like they were targeting somebody. I can't recall the outcome.

Having no official label on a vial would definitely raise suspicion, though I figure carrying an Rx would cover you if anyone asks questions. If this were insulin, wouldn't the factory label be on it? You'd need a solid explanation ready. --"I prefer to use my pen" could work well enough.
 
Gt3294a said:

Ryty2266 said:

Has anyone flown with Tirz or Reta into or out of airports in the UK or US? Did security give you any trouble?
Why do those who said they'd leave the powder vials behind feel that way? I regularly carry gummies and I doubt anyone cares. Are they imagining the vial looks like some hard drug or hazardous substance? I've got a trip coming up….
Are you referring to TSA? I also carry gummies, and they pay no attention unless you've got a pile of kits, in which case they can choose to loop in local law enforcement (if that's what they want). I've got contacts at Seatac.

Customs, though, is waging a war on drugs.
 
nitetrak said:

Gt3294a said:

Ryty2266 said:

Has anyone flown with Tirz or Reta into or out of airports in the UK or US? Did security give you any trouble?
Why do those who said they'd leave the powder vials behind feel that way? I regularly carry gummies and I doubt anyone cares. Are they imagining the vial looks like some hard drug or hazardous substance? I've got a trip coming up….
Are you referring to TSA? I also carry gummies, and they pay no attention unless you've got a pile of kits, in which case they can choose to loop in local law enforcement (if that's what they want). I've got contacts at Seatac.

Customs, though, is waging a war on drugs.
Nice. Yep, TSA only.
 
Thanks everyone! After going through all these replies, I feel much less worried overall about bringing my reconstituted peptides along, since it doesn’t appear to be a major issue.
 
Back
Top