Transferring compounded tirzepatide into a pen?

jafarrr61020

Explorer
Joined
Mar 18, 2026
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Location
Portland, OR
I doubt I'm the only one whose peptide journey began with compounded pharmacy GLP-1 and then wandered into grey territory. Right now I'm testing a few grey peptides and have moved up to using pens for those, but I still have a stash of compounded pharmacy tirzepatide to get through, and it arrived as ready-to-use liquid in 3ml and 5ml vials.

Seems like I could simply transfer that liquid into pen vials, correct? They're already multi-dose vials designed to be drawn from across multiple weeks. My one real worry is that I've kept my doses lower than prescribed, so instead of lasting 4 weeks these vials stretch to something closer to 12, which makes me hesitate about loading them into pen vials when I'm not fully confident about their sterility.

Any thoughts? Am I overthinking this? Too risky, stick with syringes, why not? Or is there some middle-ground harm-reduction step I haven't considered?

TIA!
 
I belong to the group that prefers not to keep reconstituted product in one vial for longer than 4 weeks. So if I were forced into this scenario, I'd split my 12 week vial into (3) 4 week vials, put two in the freezer, use the first, and later thaw the remaining two as needed.

There's plenty of evidence showing that freezing GLP1's doesn't cause significant degradation. I've personally done it without any problems, and they still work just fine. Whether aliquoting works the same way with pen cartridges (freezing them, I mean), I can't say, since I have no personal experience with that. Still, I'd probably test it using just bac water to see if it works. That's just me.
 
Maybe I'm overanalyzing this, but each person's comfort with risk differs.

I've still got some Olympia tirzepatide vials left, and their BUD is 9/25. A lot of people, myself included, keep using these for a really long time because each vial holds 75mg. I load them into pen cartridges and at this point I've stopped keeping track of how long they've been punctured. Since the cartridges arrive in steam sterilization bags that include an indicator, I feel they're sterile enough.

In my opinion, using a pen lets you keep everything very clean with minimal exposure. The pen stays in a case in the fridge. You pull it out, wipe it with alcohol, attach a brand new pen needle, inject, and then it goes straight back into the case. I can't think of any reason a vial would be preferable.
 
Honestly it comes down to which one you think is cleaner — the vial or the pen cartridge. My pick would be the vial.
 
Mine live in pens as well. Drawing from a vial with a syringe felt like a waste while I was just working through a compound supply, so pens are simply what I prefer.
 
CathyGoesFar said:

Maybe I'm overanalyzing this, but each person's comfort with risk differs.

I've still got some Olympia tirzepatide vials left, and their BUD is 9/25. A lot of people, myself included, keep using these for a really long time because each vial holds 75mg. I load them into pen cartridges and at this point I've stopped keeping track of how long they've been punctured. Since the cartridges arrive in steam sterilization bags that include an indicator, I feel they're sterile enough.

In my opinion, using a pen lets you keep everything very clean with minimal exposure. The pen stays in a case in the fridge. You pull it out, wipe it with alcohol, attach a brand new pen needle, inject, and then it goes straight back into the case. I can't think of any reason a vial would be preferable.
Olympia is gone. Between July and August I picked up 8. Two are still left. At first they hit hard AF. These days I doubt I'll ever touch them. They'll stay as a keepsake, maybe even get framed. LumiMeds was at its best then.
 
chewonmysac said:

CathyGoesFar said:

Maybe I'm overanalyzing this, but each person's comfort with risk differs.

I've still got some Olympia tirzepatide vials left, and their BUD is 9/25. A lot of people, myself included, keep using these for a really long time because each vial holds 75mg. I load them into pen cartridges and at this point I've stopped keeping track of how long they've been punctured. Since the cartridges arrive in steam sterilization bags that include an indicator, I feel they're sterile enough.

In my opinion, using a pen lets you keep everything very clean with minimal exposure. The pen stays in a case in the fridge. You pull it out, wipe it with alcohol, attach a brand new pen needle, inject, and then it goes straight back into the case. I can't think of any reason a vial would be preferable.
Olympia is gone. Between July and August I picked up 8. Two are still left. At first they hit hard AF. These days I doubt I'll ever touch them. They'll stay as a keepsake, maybe even get framed. LumiMeds was at its best then.

I've got 1 vial that's still sealed. At this stage I doubt I'll ever use it, though I'm not ready to let it go just yet. That concentration worked really well for me. These days, though, folks end up needing more than 1 syringe because the compounders ship 10 mg/ml to people who are on 12+ mg. What a hassle. If I were still taking tirz, I'd switch to grey just to sidestep that. Reta alone has me feeling better, anyway.
 
Back
Top