Took the Crypto Plunge at Last — My First Buy Went Through, Way Simpler Than I Expected!!!!!

Mr. Blonde said:

Sara360 said:

Mr. Blonde said:

For some reason, Venmo let me go through with it. So now I'm holding usdc/sol. Next step is just working out how to buy...
Thanks for the Venmo suggestion! In Exodus, my debit card, credit card and PayPal all got rejected. I wanted to skip Coinbase's 7 day wait, and going through Exodus with Venmo went through right away
Glad to have you here. This community is great!
That's exactly how I feel!!
 
Reading this gets me hyped. I managed to sort out crypto, but locating a seller has been a bust. My initial purchase turned into a total disaster. That pushed me to pick up crypto at lightning speed. I opened crypto.com and paid a seller through it — the package departed from id whse and I was thrilled that things were clicking, heading toward my very first t60 and klow kit. Then it all went sideways. usps returned the package to the seller, claiming the address was invalid. It isn't. It's the same one I use for everything. So the seller (gladly) said they'd refund, but wouldn't send it again. That left me scrambling to set up a wallet, which I'd never done before. I went with an exodus wallet. Ran a test. Smooth and simple. I really liked being able to top it up with Apple Pay. So easy! Then I moved funds from Cryto to Ex. No problems. And today the seller's refund came through. After a whole week of stressing that the refund might never arrive.

So now every bit of research I did on that seller is worthless since they're off-limits. 😢 I've got money sitting ready to go and I'm right back at the start. Sigh.

Still, at least the crypto side is sorted. 💅🏼
 
Sara360 said:

Mr. Blonde said:

For some reason, Venmo let me go through with it. So now I'm holding usdc/sol. Next step is just working out how to buy...
Thanks for the Venmo suggestion! In Exodus, my debit card, credit card and PayPal all got rejected. I wanted to skip Coinbase's 7 day wait, and going through Exodus with Venmo went through right away
Just wondering — what kind of fees come with Venmo, if there are any? Right now I'm running my debit card through Exodus, and the charges are a lot steeper than what Coinbase asks. Since I don't have a Venmo account, I'm trying to figure out whether opening one would actually be worth the effort.
 
New2ton said:

Sara360 said:

Mr. Blonde said:

For some reason, Venmo let me go through with it. So now I'm holding usdc/sol. Next step is just working out how to buy...
Thanks for the Venmo suggestion! In Exodus, my debit card, credit card and PayPal all got rejected. I wanted to skip Coinbase's 7 day wait, and going through Exodus with Venmo went through right away
Just wondering — what kind of fees come with Venmo, if there are any? Right now I'm running my debit card through Exodus, and the charges are a lot steeper than what Coinbase asks. Since I don't have a Venmo account, I'm trying to figure out whether opening one would actually be worth the effort.
I checked out Venmo through Exodus, but that 7.25% fee was steeper than I was willing to accept (your results may differ based on how urgently you need it). I also gave BitPay a shot, but neither of my bank cards went through.

So it looks like I'm stuck waiting on CoinBase for now.
 
WeezinDaJuice said:

New2ton said:

Sara360 said:

Mr. Blonde said:

For some reason, Venmo let me go through with it. So now I'm holding usdc/sol. Next step is just working out how to buy...
Thanks for the Venmo suggestion! In Exodus, my debit card, credit card and PayPal all got rejected. I wanted to skip Coinbase's 7 day wait, and going through Exodus with Venmo went through right away
Just wondering — what kind of fees come with Venmo, if there are any? Right now I'm running my debit card through Exodus, and the charges are a lot steeper than what Coinbase asks. Since I don't have a Venmo account, I'm trying to figure out whether opening one would actually be worth the effort.
I checked out Venmo through Exodus, but that 7.25% fee was steeper than I was willing to accept (your results may differ based on how urgently you need it). I also gave BitPay a shot, but neither of my bank cards went through.

So it looks like I'm stuck waiting on CoinBase for now.
7.25%? Wow, that's steep. I'll hold onto my funds and continue waiting for Coinbase.
 
WeezinDaJuice said:

New2ton said:

Sara360 said:

Mr. Blonde said:

For some reason, Venmo let me go through with it. So now I'm holding usdc/sol. Next step is just working out how to buy...
Thanks for the Venmo suggestion! In Exodus, my debit card, credit card and PayPal all got rejected. I wanted to skip Coinbase's 7 day wait, and going through Exodus with Venmo went through right away
Just wondering — what kind of fees come with Venmo, if there are any? Right now I'm running my debit card through Exodus, and the charges are a lot steeper than what Coinbase asks. Since I don't have a Venmo account, I'm trying to figure out whether opening one would actually be worth the effort.
I checked out Venmo through Exodus, but that 7.25% fee was steeper than I was willing to accept (your results may differ based on how urgently you need it). I also gave BitPay a shot, but neither of my bank cards went through.

So it looks like I'm stuck waiting on CoinBase for now.
Did you go through Exodus for that? When I bought with Venmo and then moved it to Exodus, I never noticed any 7.25% fee.
 
yrrdead said:

WeezinDaJuice said:

New2ton said:

Sara360 said:

Mr. Blonde said:

For some reason, Venmo let me go through with it. So now I'm holding usdc/sol. Next step is just working out how to buy...
Thanks for the Venmo suggestion! In Exodus, my debit card, credit card and PayPal all got rejected. I wanted to skip Coinbase's 7 day wait, and going through Exodus with Venmo went through right away
Just wondering — what kind of fees come with Venmo, if there are any? Right now I'm running my debit card through Exodus, and the charges are a lot steeper than what Coinbase asks. Since I don't have a Venmo account, I'm trying to figure out whether opening one would actually be worth the effort.
I checked out Venmo through Exodus, but that 7.25% fee was steeper than I was willing to accept (your results may differ based on how urgently you need it). I also gave BitPay a shot, but neither of my bank cards went through.

So it looks like I'm stuck waiting on CoinBase for now.
Did you go through Exodus for that? When I bought with Venmo and then moved it to Exodus, I never noticed any 7.25% fee.
Gave it another look (maybe my Exodus is set up differently):

When I pay $1000 USD with Venmo as the payment option, I end up with $928 USDC (SOL)
 
RadicalCrimson said:

Aren't US residents required by Know Your Customer rules to provide their taxpayer ID/SSN and to report crypto transactions on their tax returns?

Screw that with an anchor.
Identity verification is only needed when an exchange is involved. On chain, there’s no such requirement.
 
WeezinDaJuice said:

yrrdead said:

WeezinDaJuice said:

New2ton said:

Sara360 said:

Mr. Blonde said:

For some reason, Venmo let me go through with it. So now I'm holding usdc/sol. Next step is just working out how to buy...
Thanks for the Venmo suggestion! In Exodus, my debit card, credit card and PayPal all got rejected. I wanted to skip Coinbase's 7 day wait, and going through Exodus with Venmo went through right away
Just wondering — what kind of fees come with Venmo, if there are any? Right now I'm running my debit card through Exodus, and the charges are a lot steeper than what Coinbase asks. Since I don't have a Venmo account, I'm trying to figure out whether opening one would actually be worth the effort.
I checked out Venmo through Exodus, but that 7.25% fee was steeper than I was willing to accept (your results may differ based on how urgently you need it). I also gave BitPay a shot, but neither of my bank cards went through.

So it looks like I'm stuck waiting on CoinBase for now.
Did you go through Exodus for that? When I bought with Venmo and then moved it to Exodus, I never noticed any 7.25% fee.
Gave it another look (maybe my Exodus is set up differently):

When I pay $1000 USD with Venmo as the payment option, I end up with $928 USDC (SOL)
One option: purchase crypto through Venmo, then move it over to your Exodus wallet. Just avoid my mistake. Start by getting some base crypto. If USDC(sol) is what you're after, I'd get Sol on Venmo and then send it to Exodus.

-note I'm also a beginner at this. Only going by what I just went through.
 
yrrdead said:

WeezinDaJuice said:

yrrdead said:

WeezinDaJuice said:

New2ton said:

Sara360 said:

Mr. Blonde said:

For some reason, Venmo let me go through with it. So now I'm holding usdc/sol. Next step is just working out how to buy...
Thanks for the Venmo suggestion! In Exodus, my debit card, credit card and PayPal all got rejected. I wanted to skip Coinbase's 7 day wait, and going through Exodus with Venmo went through right away
Just wondering — what kind of fees come with Venmo, if there are any? Right now I'm running my debit card through Exodus, and the charges are a lot steeper than what Coinbase asks. Since I don't have a Venmo account, I'm trying to figure out whether opening one would actually be worth the effort.
I checked out Venmo through Exodus, but that 7.25% fee was steeper than I was willing to accept (your results may differ based on how urgently you need it). I also gave BitPay a shot, but neither of my bank cards went through.

So it looks like I'm stuck waiting on CoinBase for now.
Did you go through Exodus for that? When I bought with Venmo and then moved it to Exodus, I never noticed any 7.25% fee.
Gave it another look (maybe my Exodus is set up differently):

When I pay $1000 USD with Venmo as the payment option, I end up with $928 USDC (SOL)
One option: purchase crypto through Venmo, then move it over to your Exodus wallet. Just avoid my mistake. Start by getting some base crypto. If USDC(sol) is what you're after, I'd get Sol on Venmo and then send it to Exodus.

-note I'm also a beginner at this. Only going by what I just went through.
Yep, my debut crypto purchase went through Exodus, and the fees came to roughly 5% since I used my debit card — so from here on I'm running the numbers before I confirm any payment.

Next I want to test the Venmo-to-Exodus path, assuming my debit card doesn't get rejected in Venmo after all those BitPay declines.
 
WeezinDaJuice said:

yrrdead said:

WeezinDaJuice said:

yrrdead said:

WeezinDaJuice said:

New2ton said:

Sara360 said:

Mr. Blonde said:

For some reason, Venmo let me go through with it. So now I'm holding usdc/sol. Next step is just working out how to buy...
Thanks for the Venmo suggestion! In Exodus, my debit card, credit card and PayPal all got rejected. I wanted to skip Coinbase's 7 day wait, and going through Exodus with Venmo went through right away
Just wondering — what kind of fees come with Venmo, if there are any? Right now I'm running my debit card through Exodus, and the charges are a lot steeper than what Coinbase asks. Since I don't have a Venmo account, I'm trying to figure out whether opening one would actually be worth the effort.
I checked out Venmo through Exodus, but that 7.25% fee was steeper than I was willing to accept (your results may differ based on how urgently you need it). I also gave BitPay a shot, but neither of my bank cards went through.

So it looks like I'm stuck waiting on CoinBase for now.
Did you go through Exodus for that? When I bought with Venmo and then moved it to Exodus, I never noticed any 7.25% fee.
Gave it another look (maybe my Exodus is set up differently):

When I pay $1000 USD with Venmo as the payment option, I end up with $928 USDC (SOL)
One option: purchase crypto through Venmo, then move it over to your Exodus wallet. Just avoid my mistake. Start by getting some base crypto. If USDC(sol) is what you're after, I'd get Sol on Venmo and then send it to Exodus.

-note I'm also a beginner at this. Only going by what I just went through.
Yep, my debut crypto purchase went through Exodus, and the fees came to roughly 5% since I used my debit card — so from here on I'm running the numbers before I confirm any payment.

Next I want to test the Venmo-to-Exodus path, assuming my debit card doesn't get rejected in Venmo after all those BitPay declines.
I just tried the smallest possible amount to see if it would go through, and I was so thrilled when it did that I completely overlooked the fees. Now that it's being discussed by everyone, yeah, they were steep. $27.14 out of $30
 
bingoberries said:

RadicalCrimson said:

Aren't US residents required by Know Your Customer rules to provide their taxpayer ID/SSN and to report crypto transactions on their tax returns?

Screw that with an anchor.
Identity verification is only needed when an exchange is involved. On chain, there’s no such requirement.
What does "buy on chain" actually mean, step by step?
 
WeezinDaJuice said:

bingoberries said:

RadicalCrimson said:

Aren't US residents required by Know Your Customer rules to provide their taxpayer ID/SSN and to report crypto transactions on their tax returns?

Screw that with an anchor.
Identity verification is only needed when an exchange is involved. On chain, there’s no such requirement.
What does "buy on chain" actually mean, step by step?
What's the reasoning behind not just buying BTC through an exchange and then transferring it to a Trust wallet? Is the goal to steer clear of exchanges altogether? If that's the case, you could obtain BTC from someone you know directly into your Trust wallet, or receive payment into your Trust wallet. Though I'm guessing that last option isn't really practical.
 
I'm still in the early stages of looking into this, and it seems like getting a handle on crypto was worth doing before jumping in! It turned out to be not intimidating in the slightest. Thanks for putting this post together. Can't wait to stop paying extra to vendors who accept credit cards.
 
Beyond the fees they mention, you also have to check the real exchange rate/value of your money. For instance, BTC might be at 90K while Exodus values it at 95k before adding the fee. From what I've been seeing, PayPal appears to charge 2% and offers more favorable rates. After that I move it over to Exodus. If anyone knows of superior choices, let me know.
 
GLP1Pharmacist said:

Beyond the fees they mention, you also have to check the real exchange rate/value of your money. For instance, BTC might be at 90K while Exodus values it at 95k before adding the fee. From what I've been seeing, PayPal appears to charge 2% and offers more favorable rates. After that I move it over to Exodus. If anyone knows of superior choices, let me know.
In my opinion, using a big exchange is the "cheapest" route. On top of that, it works similarly to a regular brokerage, letting you place limit orders rather than market orders.

Still, I have to keep in mind that Alphabet vendors are already so cheap that fees and efficiency barely matter. I mean, I made a small test payment where the cost to send it was higher than the amount itself.

With my first transaction (which I only just managed to finish a couple of hours ago), I "lost" roughly 7% to fees/swaps/etc. I figure that's part of the learning curve. Going forward I'll be more direct: purchase what I need on Coinbase, then xfer it to Exodus.
 
When I first transferred crypto / BTC, I figured (well, there goes my $400) but it actually went through, and it has every single time up to now 😱
 
Jazzyjeff said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Holy shit, yes!!!!! Massive thanks to Airborne, whose posts keep hammering home that PayPal payments are headed the way of the dodo. To Foxgirl, for being sharper than me and making it all look effortless, and to Sasquatch. Simply because hes a cool fucking dude. And last but not least, BARN, for walking me thru my first buy, and 60 bucks cheaper than HPT for the same item, from a US warehouse and not from China, with free motherfucking shipping.

Much love to all you fuckers!!!!!!!! Lets Go!!!!!
I'm still hunting for an easier route — my 2 attempts so far were pretty rough. What would you suggest, and which service do you use to send?

Venmo was something I gave a shot, and it wasn't for me. Cash app, though, turned out to be SUPER straightforward in my case. My bank got connected to it quickly. Whenever I need 3 or 500 bucks fast for the Kangaroo's medicine ... it's set to buy BTC within seconds.
 
After my bank deposit into Coinbase finally clears (7-day hold), should I just pay the supplier straight from Coinbase, or is moving it to my Exodus wallet the better move? I'd assume that extra hop through Exodus would just tack on more fees?
 
WeezinDaJuice said:

After my bank deposit into Coinbase finally clears (7-day hold), should I just pay the supplier straight from Coinbase, or is moving it to my Exodus wallet the better move? I'd assume that extra hop through Exodus would just tack on more fees?
What's the reason for not going with Trust wallet (or something along those lines)? Sending to the vendor would only cost around $.60, and the exchange wouldn't be able to say you paid them directly.

I don't know much about Exodus, honestly.
 
Back
Top