Tirzepatide and weed — does this happen to anyone else?

gurbert

Explorer
Joined
Jan 16, 2026
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Thailand
Tirzepatide has completely changed how I handle hunger — the constant thoughts about food have mostly disappeared, and overeating isn't something I think about much anymore. Yet the moment I smoke, none of that matters. It's full-on munchies, as though I never took the medication at all.

Is this something others run into too? I'm wondering whether it's widespread or specific to me. And if you've found a way to deal with it — when you're high, what do you do to keep appetite and cravings in check without just toughing it out?
 
With Reta that happens for me as well; I simply have a few complex carbs and the feeling disappears. 2 crackers are enough to sort it out.
 
For me, that's been the pattern up to now too. I've used THC gummies for 4 of the 7 months I've been on Tirz, and over roughly the past month I've been smoking specifically. I'd like to bring it down to 2 times per week, but I've managed to handle the munchies using healthy snacks or a fairly small amount of food, especially compared with how I'd eat when high without Tirz. Whenever that hits, I keep carrot sticks, low cal crackers, anything low cal and crunchy around, since I may end up doing a lot of crunchin. The munch feeling also seems like it might not be as intense as it would otherwise be, though it's clearly still present. Now and then it's led me to eat about 150 calories beyond my target for the day, but if I know I'll have a munch that night, I'll eat lighter during the day.
 
My father-in-law uses Tirz for diabetes as well as weight loss, and he lights up every Friday. Then each Saturday he tells us he regrets it, since the pot cancels out the appetite suppression and he ends up eating way too much.
 
Nope, but I use a fair amount of cannabis and it's never actually triggered the munchies for me. What it does do is ease my aches and pains and lift my mood. For me, personally, I haven't seen much of a change. Perhaps the answer is just to smoke more weed! Lol. Joking... sort of.
 
Here's a study that sheds some light on how cannabis and appetite-related hormones interact. With glp1 they saw a trend toward changes tied to cannabis use (p 0.08), while other hormones showed significance.

I'll skip the full list of results, but this line captures it: “In conclusion, cannabis administration in this study modulated blood concentrations of some appetitive and metabolic hormones, chiefly insulin, in cannabis users”




Effects of oral, smoked, and vaporized cannabis on endocrine pathways related to appetite and metabolism: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, human laboratory study - PMC



As perspectives on cannabis continue to shift, understanding the physiological and behavioral effects of cannabis use is of paramount importance. Previous data suggest that cannabis use influences food intake, appetite, and metabolism, yet human ...

4d13c41cbc0409fb932089618e379d69d6e07846fc324487242c1d77d1bad140.png



pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
 
gurbert said:

Tirzepatide has completely changed how I handle hunger — the constant thoughts about food have mostly disappeared, and overeating isn't something I think about much anymore. Yet the moment I smoke, none of that matters. It's full-on munchies, as though I never took the medication at all.

Is this something others run into too? I'm wondering whether it's widespread or specific to me. And if you've found a way to deal with it — when you're high, what do you do to keep appetite and cravings in check without just toughing it out?
Hey there Stavvy!
 
I'm 59 and I smoked weed for 45 years, right up until the day I began Tirz. That day, I quit. Seeing this makes me feel like I chose well. What's great about giving up weed while taking Tirz is that I don't crave it at all, (Same as Sugar or beer) maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know but, man, I love Tirzepatide!
 
gurbert said:

Tirzepatide has completely changed how I handle hunger — the constant thoughts about food have mostly disappeared, and overeating isn't something I think about much anymore. Yet the moment I smoke, none of that matters. It's full-on munchies, as though I never took the medication at all.

Is this something others run into too? I'm wondering whether it's widespread or specific to me. And if you've found a way to deal with it — when you're high, what do you do to keep appetite and cravings in check without just toughing it out?
Glad this thread exists 🙂 Being in California, buying, growing and using marijuana is 100% legal for me. I use a lot of it, and the "munchies" plus how good everything tastes when high are exactly why my weight crept up. I had planned to stay off it for the whole time I was on tirz and losing weight, but........tirz turns out to 100% kill the munchies for me even when I am high!

Weed and tirz hit everybody differently, yet for me the hunger that thc normally brings simply does not appear while the tirz is in my system.
 
gurbert said:

Tirzepatide has completely changed how I handle hunger — the constant thoughts about food have mostly disappeared, and overeating isn't something I think about much anymore. Yet the moment I smoke, none of that matters. It's full-on munchies, as though I never took the medication at all.

Is this something others run into too? I'm wondering whether it's widespread or specific to me. And if you've found a way to deal with it — when you're high, what do you do to keep appetite and cravings in check without just toughing it out?
Hey, I'm a big dude and I've been traveling for work for a while. I haven't started any GLP meds yet, but for a while now I've been taking gummies to help with stress. With regular THC — both Indica and Sativa — I was absolutely a munch monster. Then I came across some Indicas with a 5-1-1 ratio, where the 5 is CBG, and it just calms me down and knocks me out after roughly 2 hours, with no munchies and no overeating at all. Figured I'd mention it. Might be worth trying.
 
Romulusguy said:

gurbert said:

Tirzepatide has completely changed how I handle hunger — the constant thoughts about food have mostly disappeared, and overeating isn't something I think about much anymore. Yet the moment I smoke, none of that matters. It's full-on munchies, as though I never took the medication at all.

Is this something others run into too? I'm wondering whether it's widespread or specific to me. And if you've found a way to deal with it — when you're high, what do you do to keep appetite and cravings in check without just toughing it out?
Glad this thread exists 🙂 Being in California, buying, growing and using marijuana is 100% legal for me. I use a lot of it, and the "munchies" plus how good everything tastes when high are exactly why my weight crept up. I had planned to stay off it for the whole time I was on tirz and losing weight, but........tirz turns out to 100% kill the munchies for me even when I am high!

Weed and tirz hit everybody differently, yet for me the hunger that thc normally brings simply does not appear while the tirz is in my system.

That’s great for you, but also screw you.

At first it did curb my hunger for the first 2 or 3 times, then it quit working. Without weed, Tirz does a fantastic job, but I’m pretty sure weed itself has become 100x stronger, so there’s that too.
 
Romulusguy said:

gurbert said:

Tirzepatide has completely changed how I handle hunger — the constant thoughts about food have mostly disappeared, and overeating isn't something I think about much anymore. Yet the moment I smoke, none of that matters. It's full-on munchies, as though I never took the medication at all.

Is this something others run into too? I'm wondering whether it's widespread or specific to me. And if you've found a way to deal with it — when you're high, what do you do to keep appetite and cravings in check without just toughing it out?
Glad this thread exists 🙂 Being in California, buying, growing and using marijuana is 100% legal for me. I use a lot of it, and the "munchies" plus how good everything tastes when high are exactly why my weight crept up. I had planned to stay off it for the whole time I was on tirz and losing weight, but........tirz turns out to 100% kill the munchies for me even when I am high!

Weed and tirz hit everybody differently, yet for me the hunger that thc normally brings simply does not appear while the tirz is in my system.
Honestly, I envy you so much. My munchies stick around no matter what. lol
 
A friend of mine won’t stop saying Tirz isn’t doing anything for her. She’s just finishing month 2 and is getting ready to move up to 6 mg every 5 days. On top of that, she uses weed every day and her job is at a bar that has a full kitchen.

There are times when the smoke beats Tirz no matter what, and you have to choose one or the other.
 
HoopFan said:

A friend of mine won’t stop saying Tirz isn’t doing anything for her. She’s just finishing month 2 and is getting ready to move up to 6 mg every 5 days. On top of that, she uses weed every day and her job is at a bar that has a full kitchen.

There are times when the smoke beats Tirz no matter what, and you have to choose one or the other.
I ended up punching 2 extra holes in my belt. So yeah, I've kept my distance from weed — though it was never a heavy habit for me to begin with....

My dose just went up to 6mg (3mg on Monday / 3mg on Friday). I'm in week 11 now, and this was the 1st week I moved from 5mg -> 6mg.
 
RoyGBiv said:

gurbert said:

Tirzepatide has completely changed how I handle hunger — the constant thoughts about food have mostly disappeared, and overeating isn't something I think about much anymore. Yet the moment I smoke, none of that matters. It's full-on munchies, as though I never took the medication at all.

Is this something others run into too? I'm wondering whether it's widespread or specific to me. And if you've found a way to deal with it — when you're high, what do you do to keep appetite and cravings in check without just toughing it out?
Hey, I'm a big dude and I've been traveling for work for a while. I haven't started any GLP meds yet, but for a while now I've been taking gummies to help with stress. With regular THC — both Indica and Sativa — I was absolutely a munch monster. Then I came across some Indicas with a 5-1-1 ratio, where the 5 is CBG, and it just calms me down and knocks me out after roughly 2 hours, with no munchies and no overeating at all. Figured I'd mention it. Might be worth trying.
Which strains are we talking about?

Sadly, every time I stop using weed, I drop weight.
 
jungletech said:

RoyGBiv said:

gurbert said:

Tirzepatide has completely changed how I handle hunger — the constant thoughts about food have mostly disappeared, and overeating isn't something I think about much anymore. Yet the moment I smoke, none of that matters. It's full-on munchies, as though I never took the medication at all.

Is this something others run into too? I'm wondering whether it's widespread or specific to me. And if you've found a way to deal with it — when you're high, what do you do to keep appetite and cravings in check without just toughing it out?
Hey, I'm a big dude and I've been traveling for work for a while. I haven't started any GLP meds yet, but for a while now I've been taking gummies to help with stress. With regular THC — both Indica and Sativa — I was absolutely a munch monster. Then I came across some Indicas with a 5-1-1 ratio, where the 5 is CBG, and it just calms me down and knocks me out after roughly 2 hours, with no munchies and no overeating at all. Figured I'd mention it. Might be worth trying.
Which strains are we talking about?

Sadly, every time I stop using weed, I drop weight.
JT, hey,



I think they mentioned it's a dormant hybrid called Mostly Sativa Blue. The main thing it targets is CBG — cannabigerol — which people call the mother compound of weed. My munchies are much lower, though I can still get them during daytime. These days, though, I usually take it 1.5 hours before going to bed. It helps a lot with pain while I sleep and stops me from waking up. Before, I'd wake up every 2 hours.

From what I know, the manufacturer is Illicit. Cheers!
 
Back
Top